Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-02-2016, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: Vehicles
School me on the 335i

Hi Everybody, long time BMW enthusiast and looking to be first time owner.

I am almost done with the house remodeling and once I refinance I will be looking for a new toy. The 335i looks like a perfect fit for what I want.

I plan on modifying it with a JB4, Exhaust, Intercooler, Diverter Valves, Oil Catch Can, Meth Injection, Oil Cooler to name a few. Have to keep my theme of everything having over 400hp going

I live in the Communistwealth of Massachusetts, so has anybody gone through inspections with similar modifications? How is the reliability after such mods? What are the typical things to look for when buying one? What are the ideal years if any? Links would be cool too. What would you suggest if I wanted to take it to a couple track days? (I live 10 minutes from the new Palmer track) Terrible idea? Certain mods to consider? Kill the car quick?

Any help is greatly appreciated, at least this will give me something to look forward to other than tiling my floors
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_Effort View Post
I plan on modifying it with a JB4, Exhaust, Intercooler, Diverter Valves, Oil Catch Can, Meth Injection, Oil Cooler to name a few. Have to keep my theme of everything having over 400hp going

I live in the Communistwealth of Massachusetts, so has anybody gone through inspections with similar modifications? How is the reliability after such mods? What are the typical things to look for when buying one? What are the ideal years if any? Links would be cool too. What would you suggest if I wanted to take it to a couple track days? (I live 10 minutes from the new Palmer track) Terrible idea? Certain mods to consider? Kill the car quick?

Whelp, that's mighty nice.....mighty nice indeed. But you'll quickly find: 335i suspension's not up to the job! Hoppin' & skippin' on bumps and in corners is exacerbated big time by more power. You got some [thinkin'] to do.

Now then. JB4, mercifully, can be returned to stock map at the touch of a few steering wheel buttons. It will pass inspection, but if you don't want an inspector, or even a parking attendant, to have fun with what you've done, disable the map selection buttons temporarily. Then it really is undetectable, except by taking the ECU box apart.

And consider stacking with MHD - yep you should explore options [here]

And before you buy, drill through [this]

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 05-02-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Sounds like great fun.. I wish I could be so close to go to Palmer for fun.

As for the car, JB4 must be on map 0 or it won't pass on the MA systems.. but should still be perfectly fine to pass. The rest.. is all fun since you look like you have an extensive list of mods.. go slowly, or find someone that can do it all at once for you that knows what they're doing Read those links for possible failure points. The more power you put, the more it'll expose potential weaknesses.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: Passat
The first time owner should always have a repair manual along with the owners manual they real handy.
it not only shows your basic tune up intervals but engine overhaul specs.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 AM

Awesome information guys really appreciate it, loving the links

Suspension mods, check! Mint, I have a nifty connection for inspections, but would rather not make my buddys life more difficult if I don't have to.

The course is pretty tight with very little run off compared to a Limerock, but still looks damn fun! One of my other money pits brings me to PA, NH, and everywhere in between so it would be nice to have a local venue, plus that was all towing. Good point, one mod at a time for me

Will keep an eye out for the repair manuals and maintenance schedules.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
The course is pretty tight with very little run off compared to a Limerock, but still looks damn fun!

Car will be an unpleasant handful w/o more camber. Designed for vile runflats with their inflexible sidewalls, such as Michelin PSS will roll on sidewalls unless you take steps.

OTOH if you go with, say, -2.5 or more camber, for which you'll need camber plates, you'll have no-limit handling to the edge of adhesion. No kiddin' it's an eye opening experience, and very pleasant indeed, under the limit, or over.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Car will be an unpleasant handful w/o more camber. Designed for vile runflats with their inflexible sidewalls, such as Michelin PSS will roll on sidewalls unless you take steps.

OTOH if you go with, say, -2.5 or more camber, for which you'll need camber plates, you'll have no-limit handling to the edge of adhesion. No kiddin' it's an eye opening experience, and very pleasant indeed, under the limit, or over.
I think you meant less camber.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Just another Gear Head!

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi coupe
FYI, The N54 twin turbo engine produced roughly from 2006 to 2010 in the E9X models is much more tune-able then it's successor.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillia View Post
I think you meant less camber.

In the sense of negative, yes, but as it's stock setting is negative, more is more negative camber. Whew!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM

That amount of handling sounds quite fun. Ah the dreadful run flats. No way I will keep awful run flats, all I run on my vehicles are BFG/Michelins.

2006-2010, good to know. thank you...that will save some money too

Last edited by Maximum_Effort; 05-02-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
2011 335is also has N54, coupled to a wonderful 7 speed DCT. (Note that it is a 335is model, not 335i!)

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 05-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Hmmm I would have to test drive one, never had a performance street driven vehicle with anything but a clutch.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Evil cider brewer

Quote:
Hmmm I would have to test drive one, never had a performance street driven vehicle with anything but a clutch.
A lot of debate here between those who won't own anything but a 3-pedal car, and those who swear by their automatics. Even the standard 6 speed ZF with paddle shifters is superior performance-wise to a stick. You can't shift as fast, and the AT allows shifts at full boost.

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 05-02-2016, 04:23 PM

I can see both sides of the coin for sure. This would be my fun to drive car and I don't think I would feel the same as a paddle shifted car, but a test drive may prove otherwise! Might end up building a dedicated track car, if I go that route.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Evil cider brewer

Quote:
I can see both sides of the coin for sure. This would be my fun to drive car and I don't think I would feel the same as a paddle shifted car, but a test drive may prove otherwise! Might end up building a dedicated track car, if I go that route.
Mine has JB4. I had it up in the local mountains recently, and it was really nice mashing the throttle down coming out of the turns, and short-shifting it under full throttle. Once you get used to the paddles they're great.
I've driven stick all my life BTW, including big trucks with 13 speed trans, so it's not like I can't shift.

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 05-02-2016, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335ix
Quote:
My 335 was the first car I've ever owned with an automatic transmission and now I think I would have a hard time going back to a manual. Of course it depends on the transmission, but all I want is to be able to control what gear I am in and when shifts (up/down) happen. I found that I don't need to stomp my left foot or stir a stick with my right hand to make that happen, paddle shifters work just as well, if not better.

There are also times that I want the computer to take control. For example, going down a hill with the cruise control engaged my car will downshift into fourth gear (~4K rpm) to use engine braking to maintain my speed. Something it couldn't do if I had a manual transmission.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuderman View Post
My 335 was the first car I've ever owned with an automatic transmission and now I think I would have a hard time going back to a manual. Of course it depends on the transmission, but all I want is to be able to control what gear I am in and when shifts (up/down) happen. I found that I don't need to stomp my left foot or stir a stick with my right hand to make that happen, paddle shifters work just as well, if not better.

There are also times that I want the computer to take control. For example, going down a hill with the cruise control engaged my car will downshift into fourth gear (~4K rpm) to use engine braking to maintain my speed. Something it couldn't do if I had a manual transmission.

Ugly truth: I may be in love with daughter's new 3/4 ton Ram diesel automatic, chipped. Dang that thing hauls! Rock solid & stable too. Li'l bumpty tho.

Nobody argues with a 3/4 ton crew cab. Nobody.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Evil cider brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Ugly truth: I may be in love with daughter's new 3/4 ton Ram diesel automatic, chipped. Dang that thing hauls! Rock solid & stable too. Li'l bumpty tho.

Nobody argues with a 3/4 ton crew cab. Nobody.
Chipped diesel trucks are no joke!

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 05-03-2016, 05:07 AM

I have a built Duramax 2500HD and with the 35s, airbags and Bilsteins she rides like a Cadillac. Tough to beat something that has over 1000 ft lbs of torque and can roast 35s while towing...damn you Extreme Mode!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
You're going to want an E92 with the M sport package (option 704). Look for options 481 (sport seats), 840 (high speed sync. 155 mph limit ). These will get you the basic 'goodies'.

The JB4 with the catch can is a good idea. The stock JB4 will do up to 20 psi boost, but with a little tweaking and a new boost sensor, 30 psi of boost is possible. Word of warning: it's real easy to go through a set of rear tires in less than 17,000 miles, WITH the traction control on. You may want to consider an LSD especially if you're going to track the car or drive in the snow.

Also when it gets hot outside (90 degrees +) my car starts to bark. You can really feel the lack of power. I'll be going the meth route shortly in hopes of curing this flaw. There's also speculation it may help keep your valves cleaner. I know the OCC helps.

'08 335 M-Sport option
JB4 PNP, OCC .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
G5 upgrade, dual bung charge pipe, Meth injection w/dual nozzles ... Delivered today ... now to install

CCA Member 109065
CQ ... CQ...Kilo Charlie 3 Bravo Whiskey Zulu calling CQ
Old 05-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Excellent info, appreciate it! I have time so I can picky and try to find the exact options I want. What is the typical agreed "safe" boost amount? Haha with the traction control oh jeez. What tires are you running? Tires don't bother me too much, that is a much better ratio than my current money pit which they last I would guess 500 miles and are over 500 a piece

It might see an autocross or track day a year....kind of what something less fancy for the track And it will never see snow or even rain for sure. Good to know about the temperature issue...something with the computer not compensating or overcompensating? Does the motor run warmer? If you do the meth kit, I would like to see if that cures it, cooler intake charge should do wonders.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 PM
Evil cider brewer

Stock FMIC is inadequate in warm weather.

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 05-03-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
Stock FMIC is inadequate in warm weather.
Mint! Its on the list
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
Quote:
Excellent info, appreciate it! I have time so I can picky and try to find the exact options I want. What is the typical agreed "safe" boost amount? Haha with the traction control oh jeez. What tires are you running? Tires don't bother me too much, that is a much better ratio than my current money pit which they last I would guess 500 miles and are over 500 a piece

It might see an autocross or track day a year....kind of what something less fancy for the track And it will never see snow or even rain for sure. Good to know about the temperature issue...something with the computer not compensating or overcompensating? Does the motor run warmer? If you do the meth kit, I would like to see if that cures it, cooler intake charge should do wonders.
BMW feels that 8.5 psi boost is just right, but most people will say 20 psi. Reason being if your BOV's stick for some reason, you won't go into self destruct mode. With the stock turbos you won't get much more than 20 psi. Logging data you can see the boost dropping off above 5,000 rpm. Plus with high boost levels, you'll probably run out of low pressure fuel delivery.

I was running Michelin Pilot Sport AW3's in +2 aspect ratio. Good tires but mileage isn't their strong point. Right now there's Continental DWS 06's on all 4 ends +1 width and +1 aspect. No complaints so far. And traction control doesn't work until your tires are spinning.

The temperature thing is air density related. If you've ever flown a small aircraft you'll know what I'm saying. At 50 degrees F the plane has enough lift at 60 mph GS while at 90 degrees F. the same plane may need a ground speed of 80 mph to rotate out. Once you at the cooler, denser air at altitude, the controls aren't mush. With the meth injection I hope to be lowering the intake charge temperature and introducing a non compressible to the intake, hopefully regaining some of the air charge density in the process.

You should check out the N54tech forum and the BimmerBoost forum. Some really good info at BBF.

'08 335 M-Sport option
JB4 PNP, OCC .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!
G5 upgrade, dual bung charge pipe, Meth injection w/dual nozzles ... Delivered today ... now to install

CCA Member 109065
CQ ... CQ...Kilo Charlie 3 Bravo Whiskey Zulu calling CQ
Old 05-04-2016, 05:22 AM

Ah gotcha, 20 is a magic number for many vehicles I have found haha. I am a BFG/Michelin guy through and through, I would love to try some BFG R-Comps. Yes, small aircraft reference works perfectly! I will check them out, thanks!

I have been watching some videos of 335s on the track with the paddle shifters, seems like quite a bit of fun and it looks like no heel/toe breaking either

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search