Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-17-2015, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto:
E92 Oil Leak??

I have an 08 328i coupe about 88k miles
I live in North NJ and the the temperatures has been ridiculously low lately
I checked my oil the other day (through the car) and saw it was a little low, got this indicator Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1424222639.466535.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	493033
I then topped it off and drove on, three days later i check again, same message, i topped it off again, an hour later i check again, same message, topped it off again! Half a carton of oil later im still getting the same message and it honestly makes no sense. I have 3 possible ideas as to what may be causing it
1) massive oil leak, which doesnt make sense because ive yet to see a single drop of oil in my driveway since buying the car
2) maybe the sensor is broken?
3) my car is eating oil? No clue

Any help would be great, im due for an oil change in about a thousand miles, let me know what you guys think
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 328i Coupe Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2395 View Post
I checked my oil the other day (through the car) and saw it was a little low, got this indicator Attachment 493033
I then topped it off and drove on, three days later i check again, same message, i topped it off again, an hour later i check again, same message, topped it off again! Half a carton of oil later im still getting the same message and it honestly makes no sense. I have 3 possible ideas as to what may be causing it
1) massive oil leak, which doesnt make sense because ive yet to see a single drop of oil in my driveway since buying the car

Any help would be great, im due for an oil change in about a thousand miles, let me know what you guys think
The warning symbol is for tire pressure being low, not your oil! Hope you didn't overfill your oil!....or are you saying the oil indicator gauge will not go all the way to the full mark?

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 02-17-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
The warning symbol is for tire pressure being low, not your oil!

Im not talking about that... I have an aftermarket set of rims on without the sensors in them... Im talking about on the center module with my oil level reading
Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Im not talking about that... I have an aftermarket set of rims on without the sensors in them... Im talking about on the center module with my oil level reading
So you mean it won't go all the way to the full spot? Do you do your own oil? If not, it's hard to know how much oil is in your crankcase to begin with. If you DO change your own oil, and you know how much you put in, your fine, although the oil sensor could have an issue sure.

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 02-17-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Yessir, to the line its supposed to.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yessir, to the line its supposed to.

Do you do your own oil? If not, it's hard to know how much oil is in your crankcase to begin with. If you DO change your own oil, then you know how much you put in, you're fine, although the oil sensor could have an issue, sure. If you had a large leak you'd know it. If you were burning a huge amount of oil, you'd know that too. Be careful because you may have overfilled you crankcase.

Rob

Last edited by Bigrob126; 02-18-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
Do you do your own oil? If not, it's hard to know how much oil is in your crankcase to begin with. If you DO change your own oil, then you know how much you put in, your fine, although the oil sensor could have an issue sure. If you had a large leak you'd know it. If you werner burning a huge amount of oil, you'd know that too. Be careful because you may have overfilled you crankcase.

I do not change my own oil, I worried about overfilling, im gonna have it flushed and changed this weekend, thanks alot
Old 02-17-2015, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
I do not change my own oil, I worried about overfilling, im gonna have it flushed and changed this weekend, thanks alot
Hi Dante,

If you are willing to change your own oil, or have a friend or relative that has experience doing it, I would recommend doing it at least this one time. That way you can measure the oil that comes out to see if your sensor is bad or you are indeed burning or leaking oil.

An oil change place just rolls a big can with a giant funnel up under your drain plug and lets the oil drain out. They don't measure how much comes out. Now, depending on the shop you take it to, they might if you ask them to. And I would make sure they did or you may be back where you started in a few days.

If you are at all handy, changing your own oil is one of the easiest do-it-yourself jobs there is. The tools required are minimal. The main thing is to make sure that the car is supported safely when you go underneath. There are several posts on "oil change procedures" here at Bimmerfest. This could be a great opportunity to save some money and get some hands on experience with your Bimmer.

Whether you do it, or have it done, I'd find a way to measure the oil that came out so you know what is going on. If it is too much, then you have a bad oil level sensor. If it is the correct amount, then you are leaking or burning a lot of oil.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Quote:
I checked my oil the other day (through the car) and saw it was a little low, got this indicator Attachment 493033

If your oil sensor is bad it would not give a reading and show "Service". Mileage and all that info would be helpful for oil consumption. When I change my oil, I put back in 6.5-6.9 quarts and it will read right at the MAX line. Anything less gives me what you are showing (which is still ok). If you overfill, it will show over the MAX level by as much as you show under. Are you taking the reading at stand still or after driving a while? The sensor can give you a couple different readings if standing still or driving.

Last edited by sptt144; 02-17-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 AM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
....topped it off and drove on, three days later i check again, same message, i topped it off again, an hour later i check again, same message, topped it off again! Half a carton of oil later im still getting the same message and it honestly makes no sense.

Well, you popped the bonnet to add lube, so was there a leak? Assume you know the usual suspects.

Or, add dye; use ultraviolet LED flashlight.

Or, take to dealer.

The BMW approved way to verify whether the Oil Condition Sensor is reporting oil level accurately is to drain oil; measure volume and temp correct. Compare to in-car reading.

Would you like to sign my Dipstick Reinstatement Petition?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I would stop topping off.

The oil level sensor can fail and give inaccurate readings. Overfilling can be just as bad as under filling.

Drain your oil and measure it. If it's within spec, your sensor is bad.

If it's not, then you can start looking into the common culprits....Valve cover gaskets, oil filter housing gasket, PCV system, sump gasket, etc.

Though if you're losing that much oil in the given amount of time, it's a severe leak and would be obvious.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 02-18-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
If your oil sensor is bad it would not give a reading and show "Service". Mileage and all that info would be helpful for oil consumption. When I change my oil, I put back in 6.5-6.9 quarts and it will read right at the MAX line. Anything less gives me what you are showing (which is still ok). If you overfill, it will show over the MAX level by as much as you show under. Are you taking the reading at stand still or after driving a while? The sensor can give you a couple different readings if standing still or driving.
This is not true at all.

When my sensor failed, I would get low oil warnings in the AM. After work, my level was back to "full."

It did this on an off for a few months. I only waited to replace it because I just did an oil change and knew the correct amount was put in. I also knew there are no severe leaks and I never had any strange noises associated with low oil . So I just waited till my next oil change to replace the sensor.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-18-2015, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well if you changed your own oil you could put one less quart in the engine( it should not hurt it since it should be at the min level, let it Idle till it warms up and see where it reads, then add the last quart and see if it reads max

I might try this next time on my oil change just to see where it reads
Old 02-19-2015, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks everyone! Im going to look into changing it myself, this way i could measure the oil in the pan.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Well, you popped the bonnet to add lube, so was there a leak? Assume you know the usual suspects.

Or, take to dealer.

The BMW approved way to verify whether the Oil Condition Sensor is reporting oil level accurately is to drain oil; measure volume and temp correct. Compare to in-car reading.

+1 on the the Dipstick Reinstatement!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:

Or, take to dealer.

Where is this " dipstick reinstatement petition? I'd like to sign numerous times!

Rob
Old 02-19-2015, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto:
Quickly, if anyone would be kind enough to tell me the best oil for my car? I hAve 3 quarts of 10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic layin around in my garage, i was thinking buy 4 more quarts of that to save some money, anythibg wrong with that? Should i use a different oil entirely? Thanks alot
Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Quickly, if anyone would be kind enough to tell me the best oil for my car? I hAve 3 quarts of 10w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic layin around in my garage, i was thinking buy 4 more quarts of that to save some money, anythibg wrong with that? Should i use a different oil entirely? Thanks alot

If BMW LL01 approved, you will see it printed on the bottle.

If not, deep six.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328ix
Quote:

Or, take to dealer.

2011 328IX
Ford 150
Gen 3 Prius
Goldwing Trike
Mustang with mods