Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Performance Exhaust Tip Cleaning

Disclaimer: I would post this in the detailing area, but I know we have knowledgeable guys here in the E9X forum who have the expertise:

I need a little feedback from veteran detailers and polishers, please. Over the last few months I've picked up some baked on hard almost paint like accretions on the outside and topside (closest to the bumper) of my chrome PE tips. What is the best way to safely remove the accretions?

I've tried:
1) lacquer thinner, thinking they are paint - no success
2) Pure Isopropyl alcohol - no success
3) heavy detergent - no success

They look and feel like little tiny droplets of paint/plaster that have baked onto the brushed chrome surface. My exhaust tips are brushed not polished so I don't want to get too crazy with abrasives and screw up the finish.

Short of getting out an exacto knife or an old dental tool and carefully, surgically scraping them off, I'm about at my wit's end.

Suggestions??

Thanks

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Advertisement
Old Today, 12:31 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Good morning K. Are you sure they are chrome and not stainless steel? I haven't run into much brushed chrome. What works for me (on my stock E92 tips) is Simichrome and a Scotch-Brite pad. I clean the tips thoroughly, inside and out, about four times a year. There are a few other metal polishes which may work as well. Simi is in a small tube while the others are in paste shoe polish sized jars.
Scotch-Brite is a very aggressive abrasive (of its type) and might scare you a bit about using it, but I have had no obvious change in the brushed look of my stainless tips over the years. If the S-B is scratching at all the scratches must approximate those of the brushed look. Others will post with their experience and I'd suggest you consider them all. There are different stainless alloys and their properties, including hardness, vary.

If the tips are really chrome then don't worry at all, S-B won't scratch or change the surface pattern of chrome. Chrome is as hard as metal gets.
Old Today, 02:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Had a similar issue with chrome tips. They cleaned up very nicely using a cotton wheel with jewelers rouge (a very mild abrasive) on a bench grinder. Took just a few minutes and the outcome was satisfactory.
Old Today, 06:04 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Sometimes 3M's Tarminator works well on stuff like this, as does mothers and 0000 steel wool. Is the metal brushed or polished? I can't remember, because anything abrasive will scratch and/or ruin the "grain" of the brushing.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old Today, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Use fine steel wool and soap/water or a metal polish with it

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old Today, 07:20 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Are you sure they are chrome and not stainless steel? I haven't run into much brushed chrome.... /snip
If I am to believe the description posted on the BMW website the exhaust is "high quality stainless steel with polished chrome tips". Mine are 'brushed' because the high polish looked just a little too blingy to me and I had my indy brush them before he installed the exhaust.

Quote:
. . . .Scotch-Brite is a very aggressive abrasive (of its type) and might scare you a bit about using it, but I have had no obvious change in the brushed look of my stainless tips over the years. If the S-B is scratching at all the scratches must approximate those of the brushed look. Others will post with their experience and I'd suggest you consider them all. There are different stainless alloys and their properties, including hardness, vary.

If the tips are really chrome then don't worry at all, S-B won't scratch or change the surface pattern of chrome. Chrome is as hard as metal gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Sometimes 3M's Tarminator works well on stuff like this, as does mothers and 0000 steel wool. Is the metal brushed or polished? I can't remember, because anything abrasive will scratch and/or ruin the "grain" of the brushing.
Ruining the grain of the brushing is precisely why I was asking about peoples' preferences and successful products.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old Today, 07:42 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

As usual a picture is worth a thousand words. The little white specks are stuck on and what I'm trying to remove.

Old Today, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Stainless steel. Get out some steel wool and go to town and it should come off.

Jet Black | Oyster/black Dakota | Navigation | Premium package | Sport Package | Heated seats
Old Today, 08:54 AM
Bad Lieutenant

You should take a sample and analyze it in the lab. It almost looks like road paint, which is pretty tough.

You could wrap one overnight in a wd-40 (or kroil) soaked cloth and see if it is softened enough to safely remove.

That brushing is very fine, micro polishes might shine it up too much.

Old Today, 10:00 AM
Non compos Mentos

Uh oh...
Kat, I have a bad feeling about this. I believe that those 'pips' are never going to come off and if they do, below each will be a small corroded pit. It is contaminated microporosity which has allowed attack of the substratum which pops up a small dicolored bit of metal.
Hopin' I'm wrong but thinkin' I'm right.
Old Today, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: E92 330D LCI
If the exhaust tips are stainless steel, whatever you use, don't use steel wool. Small fragments of the steel wool can embed in the stainless, eventually rusting. Similarly for chrome plate.

There are many grades of 3M scouring pads, from quite aggressive in their action to relatively mild. The green scotch brite are too aggressive for what you want - they will leave scratches in the finish. 3M make several non-scratch pads that are quite safe: I'd use one meant for kitchen utensils, together with whatever cleaning agent takes your fancy.
Old Today, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Have you tried using acetone to remove the paint? Use a qtip and rub only where the paints spots are then polish it with bar keepers friend.

http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/stainless-steel
Old Today, 12:27 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
The Barkeepers Friend works... At least I know it works getting the soot off the tips. It may help your situation as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old Today, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
Kat don't listen to them! Don't let steel wool anywhere near it! You need Solvo Autosol - brilliant stuff, but gentle with it:

http://www.autosol.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1826
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old Today, 01:11 PM
Non compos Mentos

To those who are thinking it's some kind of paint picked up from the road; aren't those specks visible on the inside of the tips as well?
Old Today, 01:23 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Strange spots in strange locations, that's for sure. Maybe remove one from the upper/under area, so it's not seen.

Old Today, 01:29 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
To those who are thinking it's some kind of paint picked up from the road; aren't those specks visible on the inside of the tips as well?
My bad on the photo. The spots on the inside are mung from the rain shower we had yesterday afternoon. The spots I'm trying to remove are the ones very prevalent on the top surface of the rightmost tip.
Old Today, 01:30 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
On second thought. It may be irreparably marred. It's time to send ship that exhaust to me and start anew.

I mean, it'll never be up to your standard of cleanliness again.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old Today, 06:13 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

It's a miracle!!!!!!

Better living through chemistry. First of all, I realized that lacquer thinner isn't necessarily the best paint solvent after paint cures. Pull out the big guns and try a little toluene.

During my lunch hour I used a little pure toluene and thoroughly wiped the most affected parts of the tips. No apparent immediate resolution. Later today, drove home which heated up tips enough to burn off any toluene residue. Still not wishing to try heavy abrasives and scrubbing, after the tips cooled, I sprayed them lightly with my favorite kitchen aid, Dawn Power Soak which is a remarkable amine based detergent. Surprise, surprise!! Most of the smaller blobs are gone and the few larger ones that remained were easily scraped off with a precision HuFriedy dental tool. No scrubbing, just a little well directed careful scraping required.

Will post an "after" photo tomorrow AM same relative sun position, same camera.

I am so glad I didn't have to resort to bad abrasives.

Thanks much to all for the suggestions. Sometimes it just takes bouncing ideas to find a solution.

ps: Boca, no you can't have my PE. It's all clean again, sorry.