Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-18-2014, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
Navigation DIY upgrade

I have a 2008 328i that's pretty much a base model. I saw some complete navigation kits (Screen, harness, iDrive control, head unit/computer) on ebay for around 1000. I also saw some dashboards, without the bag blown, for around 500.

I have above average mechanical skills, time and money. How difficult would this upgrade be? Would it add significant value to the car? Are there any pieces I'm missing to get this up and running correctly?
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I would just install an aftermarket nav system.

In addition to all the hardware to install, you need to purchase FSC codes to activate your hardware and code it into your car.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 02-19-2014, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
In addition to all the hardware to install, you need to purchase FSC codes to activate your hardware and code it into your car.
Yeah, but thats ~$40, so not a big issue.

@OP: If you're going to retrofit, go for the newest system, NBT. There are a few companies on here that offer the retrofit and coding.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Fyi

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=retrofit
I don't think it would add value it might even subtract it , being non stock.
The older idrive/navigation is not nearly as nice as the new one its disk based(old one) instead of
hard drive based(new one). You could get better aftermarket nav/radios and the effort to put them in would
be much smaller. Programming this in would be an issue especially with the newer Nav.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Last edited by ctuna; 02-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I would just install an aftermarket nav system.

I wouldn't go for the aftermarket stuff. It will never be same quality as OEM. I got NBT for my 335 just now, my cousin got a CIC for his 535 last year - both systems are great and were not that expensive, came completely plug-and-play and coding was done by the seller, so really no hassle or headaches.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Whats your definition of not that expensive?

Although the NBT is pretty good BMW has been behind the
curve on electronics I think. (or on some kind of a sideways direction)
No hassle for someone that is major mechanic/hacker maybe.
The problem with the aftermarket stuff is most of doesn't look like it belongs
in the car and doesn't integrate with the rest of the car at all or that well.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-19-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Although the NBT is pretty good BMW has been behind the
curve on electronics I think. (or on some kind of a sideways direction)
No hassle for someone that is major mechanic/hacker maybe.
The problem with the aftermarket stuff is most of doesn't look like it belongs
in the car and doesn't integrate with the rest of the car at all or that well.
CIC for my cousin (535) was like $1700USD (my cuz got everything from one source), and NBT for me was roughly $2K (i ended up sourcing all parts individually and it was about $2300 to be exact).
I got the eNBT Adapter from bimmerretrofit, NBT kit on eBay, and everything else was sourced by bits and pieces. NBT ended up having old software inside, so I had to get it updated, and it was a a pain.

I rented Mercedes while I was on business in Europe, and I was not thrilled with their nav system - it looked very outdated and far from intuitive. I guess the only nice thing for me was that I did not need to pair my phone with the vehicle. A couple of months ago I also rented Chevrolet (with no nav), but the phone automatically paired with my car and I was able to play music both from USB and from my phone via Bluetooth.

In this sense, yes, BMW system is kind of behind, since there are some options (like Bluetooth audio streaming) which are not default options. For me BMW is still the best vehicle out there, and I gladly paid the $$ to update the iDrive. I spend quiet a lot of time behind the wheel.. so for me its very convenient.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328I Sedan, Manual
I have a base 2011 328i as well. Going with a Alpine with Apple CarPlay, it seems a better solution. There are also Android Auto head units available now if you use that. I can have it installed with backup camera about 750.00. It's the best integration with your phone. The market is moving that way so it will more than likely be a value added feature when you resell.

Last edited by macdragonfl; 02-20-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Tasman Green
Or buy a frigging Garmin for less than $150. Probably a better system anyway and much cheaper lol. How often do you really use the navigation?
Old 02-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Largish cell phone or small tablet running Waze

Largish cell phone or small tablet running Waze
will give you much more info and always be uptodate.

Also it tells you where cops, accidents , traffic jams and traffic cam radar is.

If you have a nav I wonder it there is a way to run Waze on it.