Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335xi coupe
Misfiring, thick white smoke, engine cuts out

So I have a problem...and its a package of things that start to happen all together. And every time it starts the happen is when it was parked outside when it was very cold. The engine misfires, thick white smoke instantly, engine cuts out, gas is flying through. So the first time it happened went to the dealership and they said it was the fuel injectors. So i took it to the shop and got that cleaned up, new injectors and new plugs. Everything was great and running. Than 2-3 weeks later it started to happen again after it was outside in the cold for a few hours and turned the car one and was like wtf. Took it in again and they said the catalytic converter was clogged so they cleaned it up and everything was running great until today when i finished class and went to start it up. Instantly misfiring, gas gauge dropping, thick white smoke, engine was cutting out. I called and they said that the other converter might be clogged and that they didn't clean it out. Told me to bring it in tomorrow morning to read the codes. But is it possible that its bad converters or is there more to the story?
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
What weight oil are you using? If you're using 5W-40, 10W-40 instead of the 5W-30 BMW recommends, it could be screwing with your VANOS.

If you're close to an oil change, try the lighter weight oil.

'08 335 M-Sport option
JB4 PNP, OCC .... Love at every stomp on the go pedal!

CCA Member 109065

CQ ... CQ...Kilo Charlie 3 Bravo Whiskey Zulu calling CQ
Old 02-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoszko0 View Post
So I have a problem...and its a package of things that start to happen all together. And every time it starts the happen is when it was parked outside when it was very cold. The engine misfires, thick white smoke instantly....

Well that does seem to be a valid issue. Your code readout is important - post here! And let's check your head gasket: [click me]
Old 02-11-2016, 07:56 PM

I use the recommended oil always and this started to happen before my oil change the first time. So the head gasket is not damaged so thats not it. And the converters are clogged up. Are there any aftermarket converters you guys would recommend for me to use? Because BMW converters are well you know a bit pricy lol
Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 340i M Sport,Volvo T5 man
That sounds remarkably like head gasket blown.

Is there a milky gunky deposit under the oil filler cap?

Is your coolant dropping?

Immediate oil change and filter to examine old oil.

Codes!

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM

No milky gunk under the filler. And no my coolant hasn't been dropping. Ive kept my eye out for those two things but nope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	550373   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	550374  

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
engine cutting out, engine dies, gas consumption, misfiring, thick white smoke

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search