Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 128i
new owner

Hi everyone, I purchased a 2009 128i last night. I did not get it from a BMW dealer, and of course the owner's manual or sticker was not with the car. What's the best way for me to find out what options are on my car? I know the obvious stuff, like heated seats, MP3 player, and so on. But in terms of different "convenience" or "comfort" options, what do you suggest? Also, should I shell out the $40 for the manual or just use the one that my hubby DL'ed for me?
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi128 View Post
Hi everyone, I purchased a 2009 128i last night. I did not get it from a BMW dealer, and of course the owner's manual or sticker was not with the car. What's the best way for me to find out what options are on my car? I know the obvious stuff, like heated seats, MP3 player, and so on. But in terms of different "convenience" or "comfort" options, what do you suggest? Also, should I shell out the $40 for the manual or just use the one that my hubby DL'ed for me?
Not sure what DL'ed stands for?

Here is a link to the manual on BMWs website. A free download. Might also be a good idea to bookmark the site a lot of useful information now that you are a BMW owner.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...iQkglgatv4Pvk=

Registration page for your BMW.

https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/conte...LrhzSuA9MW9FY3

You should be able to get all the options from a BMW dealer if you can't find out everything on the above page.

Quote:
Also, should I shell out the $40 for for the manual
No!

Use the $40 to join BMW Car Club of America. The Roundel magazine subscription is worth the $40 Plus a lot of places give a 10% discount on BMW supplies, Parts and accessories if your a member. Also if you ever buy a new BMW in the future you get a $500 to a $1000 check if you have been a member for over a year.

http://www.bmwcca.org/index

Last edited by Norm37; 12-30-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
DL'ed means "downloaded".
Old 12-31-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
if you have xenons headlights then you have the premium pkg which usualy means a better sound system and power everything and a garage door opener buttton. if your seats have the slide out cussion then you have the sports pkg too that means you get sports seats, steering wheel, and nice rims too. idk if you already know that or what but this is what i thought you meant when you said options.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
Your audio is at least mid-grade. That was the base in 2009 (and what my vert has). The sport seats are easily recognized if you see the alternatives. If you have them, there is also a rocker switch on the outside of each seat near the front to adjust the bolsters in and out for people of different widths. I really like my sport seats. They came in the 128 as part of the sport or M sport package. The latter would also give you a M sport steering wheel. Both have a firmer suspension.

Jim
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM

Thank you everyone! I know I do not have the sport package, I love the sports seats too. I do have automatic seats, if that could be a clue to other packages that are on it. This might be a dumb question, but what's the best way to tell the xenon headlights from the standard? Just the brightness? I do have to take it in for a state inspection, so maybe the dealer will be nice enough to tell me what's on it in detail.

Norm37, thanks for the links!!

Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Thank you everyone! I know I do not have the sport package, I love the sports seats too. I do have automatic seats, if that could be a clue to other packages that are on it. This might be a dumb question, but what's the best way to tell the xenon headlights from the standard? Just the brightness? I do have to take it in for a state inspection, so maybe the dealer will be nice enough to tell me what's on it in detail.

Norm37, thanks for the links!!

Memory electric seats were a stand alone option and were also included in the Premium Package (ZPP). One way to tell if is if you have the lumbar adjustment on the front seats as it only comes as part of the ZPP.

Xenon lights are also a stand alone item and NOT part of the ZPP - same with the upgraded sound system.

Since you are having the inspection done by a dealer, they can easily tell you what is on the car from the VIN number.

Enjoy your new ride.

Tom
Old 01-02-2012, 11:36 PM

are u serious dude. you bought a BMW and dont know what xenons are. im sorry just had to let that out.

look inside your headlight close up if u see a lense or a ball surrounded by the engel eye rings then you have xenons if u see a normal headlight with a bulb inside then you sir have a bone basic bmw.

Last edited by MikesE39; 01-02-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
are u serious dude. you bought a BMW and dont know what xenons are. im sorry just had to let that out.
Since Andi referred to her hubby in her original post, I think we can assume she's not a "dude"

Sorry, I just had to let that out.

Tom
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
Andi,

BMW offers many features as part of a package and also individually. The premium package, for instance, in 2009 included power seats, leather, and wood trim, all also available individually. There was also a comfort package but I never seriously considered it and don't have notes on what it included. Your power seats suggest you might have the premium package but you could also just have the seats. Without a sports package I believe you also have 16 inch rims and the car originally had all season tires. A usb port under the arm rest was also an adder in 2009. Metallic paint was $500 more which is also the price of the wood trim if you bought it separately (base was "piano black").

Jim
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Thanks JimD1 and Tom K! I do have some upgraded options then, which suggests the premium package at least. You've been very helpful

Last edited by Andi128; 01-03-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post

look inside your headlight close up if u see a lense or a ball surrounded by the engel eye rings then you have xenons if u see a normal headlight with a bulb inside then you sir have a bone basic bmw.
Dude...why so rude?? I didn't do a darn thing to you. "Bone basic", dude, I wish I can be cool like you one day. Also: AndY=dude AndI= chick. Just had to let that out, dude.
Seriously, I came here to learn a little more about my car, not be douched on by someone looking to cut others down. You're previous post was helpful, not sure why the derail happened.

For all of those who gave helpful info, thanks so much I really appreciated it. I do have Xenons, with some other upgrades that you all have helped me identify, which made me very happy. I have to go in for a state inspection, so I'll be sure to get all the additional specs from the dealer then.

Last edited by Andi128; 01-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
You're previous post was helpful, not sure why the derail happened.
Maybe he's part "engel" and part deevil...just had to let that out!

I guess we all look different through the "lense" of an internet forum.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Congratulations on your 128 Andi! You're going to have nothing but love for this car. Apologies for the flame you received...not the way to treat anyone and, particularly, no way to treat someone new to BMW and this forum. I've been here for a while and I can assure you that Bimmerfest has great members and is a good place for information regarding your BMW. Please hang around.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 01-04-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
Thumbs up Welcome & Congrats!

Andi,

Congratulations on your new (to You) BMW and Welcome to the Bimmerfest Forums. I see you have already weathered some uncalled for condescending comments. Rest assured they are out numbered by folks genuinely wanting to help everyone with information and assistance. We all started out at the same place but apparently some with maybe limited knowledge or experience feel the need to belittle others.

If you want to stop into your BMW dealer prior to your state inspection you can have the service advisor just use your key and put it into their reader to determine not only what options you have but it will also show the service history (service performed at BMW dealerships) of your car. Or at least that is the way it worked for my wife's 2004 325Ci when we purchased it. It is for sale now as she awaits her new X3 that we are scheduled to pick up via Performance Center Delivery on 2/16.

Enjoy your Ultimate Driving Machine..... and the forums

Happy New Year!
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Dude...why so rude?? I didn't do a darn thing to you. "Bone basic", dude, I wish I can be cool like you one day. Also: AndY=dude AndI= chick. Just had to let that out, dude.
Seriously, I came here to learn a little more about my car, not be douched on by someone looking to cut others down. You're previous post was helpful, not sure why the derail happened.

For all of those who gave helpful info, thanks so much I really appreciated it. I do have Xenons, with some other upgrades that you all have helped me identify, which made me very happy. I have to go in for a state inspection, so I'll be sure to get all the additional specs from the dealer then.
Vey sorry about that, i didnt mean to sound like that. and i didnt read the name so dont worry i dont think its a guys name.

and i didnt mean anything by Bone basic thats just a term we use. a BMW is a BMW.

Last edited by MikesE39; 01-04-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM

Oh I love love love my car! I've wanted one since they first came out, so I was super-psyched to finally get one

Thanks for the all warm welcomes. Thanks Mike, we're cool
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Euro Car Aficionado

Mein Auto: 2014 Cayman
I wouldn't necessarily say a non-xenon equipped BMW is a 'bone basic' BMW. Our 2012 128i has regular halogens (def not my preference) but it has the premium package and is otherwise pretty well equipped with satellite radio, sunroof, BMW Assist, etc. Would I have preferred to get a car equipped with HIDs? Heck yes! But we couldn't pass up the deal. Same goes for our 2008 328i sedan. I was looking for a CPO car that specifically had HIDs and heated seats and was white. One came available and was only missing the HIDs but had the CPO warranty, a matching extended maintenance plan, was meticulously maintained by its previous owner with all of its history at this same dealership, and came with a nice discount from the asking price, so when it came down to decision time the headlights lost out. I used to be someone who wondered why any new BMW would not be equipped with HIDs but honestly it's not that huge of a deal. Of course I'm being hypocritical because every time I see a new 3 or 5 with the LED angel eyes I just drool....and WILL have them on my next Bimmer!

Anyway, congrats on your 1! Ours is a lot more beefy than I was thinking it would be. It's ride is quite a bit harsher than our 3, so they definitely aim for different folks, but it's always real pleasure to drive.
1984 Austin Mini Mayfair
1999 Ford F150
Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM

Yes, when you are buying pre-owned, you certainly have to be willing to pass up some features for a good deal. I had to, and I can't say that I regret it at ALL. It's deff beefier than my previous car. I moved from a 2009 Jetta to the 2009 128. I was used to BMWs as my husband has a 5 and we share an X3. But damn...LOL. If it was a 135, I don't think I would my license for much longer LOL.

When leaving work today, I walked out with a co-worker. I showed her my new car, she asked what was "wrong" with my last one, and said that they looked the same. I was all like "um...no...no they don't"
Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Hi Andi128

I just read this thread and thought I better give you a link to it (just in case you haven't read it yet).

mhiggi02 bought a 2008 128 convertable from a non- BMW dealer.

His local BMW dealer is doing a lot warranty work on it for him.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592370

You might want to have your local BMW dealer check yours out for any needed warranty and maintenance program work needed.

Also have them give you the in-service date of your 128. You have 4 years of warranty from that date or 50K miles whichever is sooner.

It is a good idea to take in your 128 a couple weeks before experation of the warranty and have all the codes read and any warranty work needed done.

At that time you can also decide if an extended BMW warranty would be worth getting. Those have to be purchased prior to the experation of the factory warranty.

Last edited by Norm37; 01-10-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 AM
Cocoa Beach Bimmer Addict

Mein Auto: 2008 128i Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
Hi Andi128

I just read this thread and thought I better give you a link to it (just in case you haven't read it yet).

mhiggi02 bought a 2008 128 convertable from a non- BMW dealer.

His local BMW dealer is doing a lot warranty work on it for him.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=592370

You might want to have your local BMW dealer check yours out for any needed warranty and maintenance program work needed.

Also have them give you the in-service date of your 128. You have 4 years of warranty from that date or 50K miles whichever is sooner.

It is a good idea to take in your 128 a couple weeks before experation of the warranty and have all the codes read and any warranty work needed done.

At that time you can also decide if an extended BMW warranty would be worth getting. Those have to be purchased prior to the experation of the factory warranty.
Definitely take it in! And don't be afraid to ask them to do things even if the BC says you aren't due yet. My car is still there as I was able to get them to additionally do the front brakes (had to order parts and change the brake fluid (all in addition to the thread above). Enjoy your Ultimate Driving Machine!!

2003 325i (retired)
1995 325i Vert (retired)

Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks to the both of you! Yes, I plan on taking it in ASAP, but I'm still waiting to get my registration. They won't do the state inspection w/o it, and I can't go in twice in relatively close periods of time, because it's not super close to me. And the dealer that I pass on my way to work is about 25-50% more on service/parts, and can't do the state inspection. As soon as I get her check-up done, I'll report back and let ya'll know what was needed.

Last edited by Andi128; 01-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
test
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Pass.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Congrats! I just purchased a used 08 128 vert for my wife it only had 9k miles she loves the car! Good choice. Now she does not need to drive my 135i