Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Drivetrain malfunction warning

We are up in Asheville for NYE, I was just leaving the Biltmore earlier this evening, when the drive train malfunction light came on. Not when I started the car, but about a minute after I started the car. I also noticed loss of power.

I out the car in park. Switched the car off. Immediately switched it back on. Car is back to normal and functioning fine.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

BTW my fuel level is low - at about 47 miles range but I doubt that is the issue.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
We are up in Asheville for NYE, I was just leaving the Biltmore earlier this evening, when the drive train malfunction light came on. Not when I started the car, but about a minute after I started the car. I also noticed loss of power.

I out the car in park. Switched the car off. Immediately switched it back on. Car is back to normal and functioning fine.

Does anyone have any insights on this?

BTW my fuel level is low - at about 47 miles range but I doubt that is the issue.
over the past year i have had one or two strange idiot lights come up, drive train malfunction was one, ARS disabled (or something like that) was another. i turned off the car, and restarted with no problems. the car will log it, take it in if you feel so inclined. i never had another problem, mentioned it to my SA and he said sometimes it happens. i believe they are called gremlins

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: MDX, GS300, 2011 535xi
When the fuel light comes on, if you dig deeper into the menu, it says that if mileage range is less than 30 miles, it can have consequences. Perhaps even though you had 47 mile range, that was the reason?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i
I was told by a service advisor before that sometimes the car mis-fired, also it could happened when the car is running low on gas (using reserved fuel). But no long-term issue after restart, unless it's recurring time after time then it needs to be looked at by the dealer.
BMW CCA member. 2012 550i M Sports, Carbon Black/Cinnamon Brown leather/Aluminum Hexagon trim/ZLS. Dinan springs, Xpel paint protect film, Llumar tint. Retired: 2009 535i, 2006 530i, 2003 X5, 1998 318i
Old 12-31-2011, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
I've had it occur twice both when I was on the highway driving at speed but I got the warning and nothing else, no power loss or noticeable effect. First time I pulled over and called the SA who said just turn it on and bring it in which I did and once I turned it back on the warning was gone. I took it to the dealer but they said they couldn't find any indication of a problem. The second tine I just ignored it and sure enough on the restart later it went away.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550 XI
I had a similar error a couple of times. Had the dealer check it out and was told that these weird kinds of errors can happen when the battery charge gets low from driving the car short distances over a period of time. They charged up the battery and have not had the issue since. Bought a charger myself to top it off every so often. There is a thread around here that discusses the batery charging topic.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Been there - had that. It is almost certainly the HPFP.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 01-01-2012, 04:29 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
Been there - had that. It is almost certainly the HPFP.
How do you reconcile that almost certainty with the other replies on this thread? Tell us a bit more about how it developed?

Update: drove another 250 miles today with no issues. At 1100 miles now.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM

I had the "drivetrain malfunction" in conjunction with reduced power and that's what is was. If you think about it, a good way to reduce power is to reduce fuel pressure, so that adds up well. Things seemed to return to normal when the car was restarted. It came and went a few times and all seemed fine in between episodes, similar to your experience. The only thing that doesn't match is that I sometimes experienced even worse loss of power during which the car bucked and jerked and stalled. You may yet experience this - or not. Moreover, the initial diagnosis was "low on fuel" but that diagnosis was retracted after some additional testing. I believe that if you re-read the other responses, mine is a clear best match for your experience.

Regards -
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM
The Driver

Quote:
I had the "drivetrain malfunction" in conjunction with reduced power and that's what is was. If you think about it, a good way to reduce power is to reduce fuel pressure, so that adds up well. Things seemed to return to normal when the car was restarted. It came and went a few times and all seemed fine in between episodes, similar to your experience. The only thing that doesn't match is that I sometimes experienced even worse loss of power during which the car bucked and jerked and stalled. You may yet experience this - or not. Moreover, the initial diagnosis was "low on fuel" but that diagnosis was retracted after some additional testing. I believe that if you re-read the other responses, mine is a clear best match for your experience.

Regards -
So what would you suggest I do? It happened just once and went away as soon as I restarted. What should I tell dealer given I can't replicate the problem?

Should I just ask them to check out the HPFP?

2014 BMW///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 01-01-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM

It's always tough when it can't be duplicated. My initial suggestion would be to report it to them and follow their lead on what to do. However, I would be circumspect about taking a long trip until it was at least checked out. Sorry that I can't offer anything more definitive.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM

It seems as if we are talking about different thing because at least when it happened to me there seemed to be nothing wrong mechanically with the car. No misfire nor power loss or anything else besides the bell and the warning on the screen. Some of you including the OP had a noticeable effect which I would think is different to mine. Also apparently these cars don't store such incidents when they occur because I had this happen and the check engine light came on for the fuel level sensor and they both went away when the car was shut off and each time I took it to the dealer but they hooked it up and said they found no problems besides my cat codes.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
. Also apparently these cars don't store such incidents when they occur because I had this happen and the check engine light came on for the fuel level sensor and they both went away when the car was shut off and each time I took it to the dealer but they hooked it up and said they found no problems besides my cat codes.
They were bull****ting you. These cars store EVERYTHING.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-02-2012, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
They were bull****ting you. These cars store EVERYTHING.
+1 i would be surprised if it doesn't, As there was a clear error message!

I think the logging systems are one of the components which will be/should be well thought through!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Dang it! i thought HPFP issue is only with I6 engines and that to in previous generation, isn't?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d; 2012 550ix
Uh oh! Thread over on BimmerPost on the same topic.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478030
Old 01-03-2012, 03:10 PM
The Driver

Update: the dealer looked at it and concluded the HPFP is okay, but they saw several errors recorded related to the fuel sensor. They are replacing the fuel sensor and believe that should prevent a recurrence.

No update on the auto headlight issue.

Meanwhile I'm driving a base 328 which feels like an ancient relic.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 01-03-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM

Let's hope that fixes it!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Let's hope that fixes it!
Hope so. I have a 700 mile trip next week to return home.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Update: the dealer looked at it and concluded the HPFP is okay, but they saw several errors recorded related to the fuel sensor. They are replacing the fuel sensor and believe that should prevent a recurrence.

No update on the auto headlight issue.

Meanwhile I'm driving a base 328 which feels like an ancient relic.
You mean from those dark ages when it took a couple of years before something broke?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
You mean from those dark ages when it took a couple of years before something broke?
No those were my 3 years driving a Lexus. But the E90 seems more ancient than my old E46 cabrio. Very boxy interior, lots of cheap plastic, cheap trim, etc. maybe it's accentuated by being a 328 base model whereas my E46 was an M3 with Nav.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
No those were my 3 years driving a Lexus. But the E90 seems more ancient than my old E46 cabrio. Very boxy interior, lots of cheap plastic, cheap trim, etc. maybe it's accentuated by being a 328 base model whereas my E46 was an M3 with Nav.
Yeah, the Ms are a class by themselves even if they share the numerics. I like the 3-series a lot but the cost cutting compared to a five can be felt in the materials. it's always been that way and it's why I'm not considering the F30 other than if a 4 door M3 will be available. I don't want much gadgets but I want high end materials or at least a high end feel. Only the M3 has that in the 3 series.

Regarding reliability the M3 is my 6th beemer and it's been rock solid and so were all the others except the E60 and F10. Too complex engine & suspension techology.
My wife wants an X5 but we can't have an unreliable SUV so it's leaning towards a 4-runner or Landcruiser.

Last edited by solstice; 01-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Yeah, the Ms are a class by themselves even if they share the numerics. I like the 3-series a lot but the cost cutting compared to a five can be felt in the materials. it's always been that way and it's why I'm not considering the F30 other than if a 4 door M3 will be available. I don't want much gadgets but I want high end materials or at least a high end feel. Only the M3 has that in the 3 series.

Regarding reliability the M3 is my 6th beemer and it's been rock solid and so were all the others except the E60 and F10. Too complex engine & suspension techology.
My wife wants an X5 but we can't have an unreliable SUV so it's leaning towards a 4-runner or Landcruiser.
My e46 M3 had some issues after 3 years, but was rock solid for the first 20k miles.

My sense is the achilles heel of the new BMWs is the engines. I blame CAFE.

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
leaning towards a 4-runner
Talk about ancient relics.....

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Talk about ancient relics.....
Funny I had a 2006 4runner which I recently got rid of it,it had 160k miles and for all I know the hood could have been welded shut as all I ever needed to do was oil changes.