Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
FYI - the system will charge - even on the highway - if the state of charge falls below 80%. If it fails to do this, then there is a problem that needs attention. Because it is difficult to accurately track the state of charge of a lead-acid battery, a software update or reset may get the system back on track.

Regards -

That is correct. I was told that mine had failed to charge when it dropped below 80% because as the battery aged, the charging system failed to provide the charge that it needed. They were aware of this problem and a 15 minute computer update fixed it.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 AM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
Just happened to me too ;( shut the car off and started back up with no problems. I did open the door right before to pick up the news paper in driveway with car in gear and was thinking that may have caused the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1337009365.097695.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	324993  
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650
Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
New computer is on order and firmware update once that is complete according to BMW. I also decided to go Dinan Stage 2 and exhaust once its complete
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 11 535ix MSport w/ Dot
I started a thread yesterday on this, my HPFP is being replaced as we speak

Came out of nowhere, not fun doing 65 down the highway with no power brakes, steering, etc

Car would run rough and then shut off.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIAlfonso View Post
I started a thread yesterday on this, my HPFP is being replaced as we speak

Came out of nowhere, not fun doing 65 down the highway with no power brakes, steering, etc

Car would run rough and then shut off.
Is it the pump itself? Or the controller? I have heard of several instances of controllers, but not too many fuel pumps.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yeah, the Ms are a class by themselves even if they share the numerics. I like the 3-series a lot but the cost cutting compared to a five can be felt in the materials. it's always been that way and it's why I'm not considering the F30 other than if a 4 door M3 will be available. I don't want much gadgets but I want high end materials or at least a high end feel. Only the M3 has that in the 3 series.

Regarding reliability the M3 is my 6th beemer and it's been rock solid and so were all the others except the E60 and F10. Too complex engine & suspension techology.
My wife wants an X5 but we can't have an unreliable SUV so it's leaning towards a 4-runner or Landcruiser.
Sols, I can not believe it is you who puts up buying a Landcruiser on these threads!
I love that car for pulling heavy boats around Europe.
But man that tank....
After all you put in the world about the F10, incredible evolution in thoughts....
Why would you ever consider the lovely wife driving around in that mal steering bad looking thing?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Sols, I can not believe it is you who puts up buying a Landcruiser on these threads!
I love that car for pulling heavy boats around Europe.
But man that tank....
After all you put in the world about the F10, incredible evolution in thoughts....
Why would you ever consider the lovely wife driving around in that mal steering bad looking thing?
As it looks now I won't. We are pretty much set on the Cayenne V6 with base suspension. Quality brand, quality car with relative simple engine and suspension technology.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
As it looks now I won't. We are pretty much set on the Cayenne V6 with base suspension. Quality brand, quality car with relative simple engine and suspension technology.
Good for you, look for two seconds at the Evoque though...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Good for you, look for two seconds at the Evoque though...
Not a chance. I can say for sure that I will never buy a British brand, independent who owns them. No, not even an AM. If I would it would be the big RR not the Evoque it's way too small.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Not a chance. I can say for sure that I will never buy a British brand, independent who owns them. No, not even an AM. If I would it would be the big RR not the Evoque it's way too small.
If size matter over style I can follow.
But the Cayenne is not a very likeable car.
It overstates its driveability and really is just an expensive SUV.
NOT a real Porsche at all, but a show off.
No way near any 911, or boxter for that matter.
Hhmm, these english cars, I agree they stink in quality, but are they any worse than good old swedish saabs or volvos, talking about breaking down....
Old 05-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
If size matter over style I can follow.
But the Cayenne is not a very likeable car.
It overstates its driveability and really is just an expensive SUV.
NOT a real Porsche at all, but a show off.
No way near any 911, or boxter for that matter.
Hhmm, these english cars, I agree they stink in quality, but are they any worse than good old swedish saabs or volvos, talking about breaking down....
It's a real Porsche in the sense that it has good quality and reliability and best in class driving dynamics. It's obviiously not a 911 or even less a Boxster. They are not really good SUVs... For us it currently has the best mix of what we are looking for. That it's a Porsche only matters since I trust their quality and reliability, couldn't care less of the rest of the Porsche baggage and if it's regarded as an expensive Touareg.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
It's a real Porsche in the sense that it has good quality and reliability and best in class driving dynamics. It's obviiously not a 911 or even less a Boxster. They are not really good SUVs... For us it currently has the best mix of what we are looking for. That it's a Porsche only matters since I trust their quality and reliability, couldn't care less of the rest of the Porsche baggage and if it's regarded as an expensive Touareg.
It is a very expensive volkswagen for sure.
It is just a matter of taste, I do not like the style of thes VAG cars and I am not impressed by the quality/driving costs of these cars either.
Oh well, quess I am not a SUV lover anyway.
The Range Rover would be my pick for a nice looking towing truck at his moment.
And I do like the Evoque style over the Cayenne.
I think sustaining one of these will be more expensive than a BMW and depreciation more elevated...
I know you can not have a F11, that would be a nice choice!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It is a very expensive volkswagen for sure.
It is just a matter of taste, I do not like the style of thes VAG cars and I am not impressed by the quality/driving costs of these cars either.
Oh well, quess I am not a SUV lover anyway.
The Range Rover would be my pick for a nice looking towing truck at his moment.
And I do like the Evoque style over the Cayenne.
I think sustaining one of these will be more expensive than a BMW and depreciation more elevated...
I know you can not have a F11, that would be a nice choice!
You live in one of the most condensed a built out countries in the western world. An F11 is a huge hauler in The Netherlands but in the Cascade wilderness it's out of it's elements. I wouldn't buy a Cayenne in Europe, makes little sense but over here it makes a lot of sense, it's even on the small side and unnecessarily fancy but my wife deserves a car to be excited over after many years of driving the sensible choice. She loves the Cayenne.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
This. Are you sold on the base V6? I say this because the TDI will be out soon.

The Evoque is a POS Land Rover. Only friends you will make with one is your local SA. Not to mention, it has piss poor resale. That being said, I do love the looks of it. Too bad it's overpriced. Only Land Rover I will ever own is a Range Rover, only if I live next door to a dealer.

Cayenne is the best handling car in its class and Porsche is tops in quality between the German makers. The fact that a diesel Cayenne will be out by the end of the year makes it a fantastic choice. If the Cayenne TDI was out last year, I would be driving a Porsche, not a BMW

Last edited by AutoUnion; 05-31-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
This. Are you sold on the base V6? I say this because the TDI will be out soon.

The Evoque is a POS Land Rover. Only friends you will make with one is your local SA. Not to mention, it has piss poor resale. That being said, I do love the looks of it. Too bad it's overpriced. Only Land Rover I will ever own is a Range Rover, only if I live next door to a dealer.

Cayenne is the best handling car in its class and Porsche is tops in quality between the German makers. The fact that a diesel Cayenne will be out by the end of the year makes it a fantastic choice. If the Cayenne TDI was out last year, I would be driving a Porsche, not a BMW
Yeah, I'm pretty set on the V6 mainly due that it's the simplest design and has been proven for a few years. It's also more than powerful enough for our use. The diesel is tempting but euro diesels seem to have had some challenges over here and I'm not convinced that it will be as reliable as the V6 at this point in time.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:51 PM

Sophisto, regarding Volvo reliability, the worst Volvo EVER was the Volvo 66. read up on it's origins, should be interesting for you
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Sophisto, regarding Volvo reliability, the worst Volvo EVER was the Volvo 66. read up on it's origins, should be interesting for you
Yes that Volvo was a real sad looking and performing car.
It realy was a Dutch Daf, not a Swedish Volvo.
And you know what; the plant where they were produced has been producing Mazdas just until this week. It shutted down yesterday because of a strike originating from the japanese decision to ceise building cars overhere.

Autounion, you realy are a joker, you simply found just again another way for making your choice for a VAG product over a BMW.
Respect!

I think in Europe Range Rover driving is all about image, status and looking stylish and upperclas. Making the trips to the SA just a part of that, comes with the package.
The porsche car is in another segment of ownership, a little loud, not classy, may be even too rich and ordinary kind of people in these cars. Lets say owners of Range Rovers feel they are miles above in class over the tasteless people in the Porsche.
Just saying, I understand the quality of the Porsche, but hold on it is a SUV, not a drivers car.

Last edited by Sophisto; 05-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Just saying, I understand the quality of the Porsche, but hold on it is a SUV, not a drivers car.
It may not be a driver's car, but it is a driver's SUV. If you need the space and the capability, it's fabulous.

Why Americans have this hang up over wagons is beyond me. I'd take an F11 over a two row SUV anyday. More capacity, more handling, better mileage. But I can't buy one. Nor can I buy an A6 avant.

Now, if you need three rows, that's a different story.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 06-01-2012, 08:34 AM

I agree that a wagon is the better choice than an SUV for around town and road trips, however if you use the SUV as an SUV it beats the wagon. There is the obvious ground clearance difference but I also noticed that a wagon is much harder to keep clean when packing a bunch muddy people into the car and of some reason an SUV can hold a lot more wet clothing and equipment without getting misty inside. This matters a lot when you move from difference ski touring access points since the car isn't frozen inside and out when you return. Another issue with a wagon is snow buildup under the fenders leading to a suspension that acts like it bottoms out. I've used both types for years in all kind of conditions and both has their advantages but if you are a serious and frequent outdoors person the SUV is better from my experience.

The days when the Range Rover was a sign of class and upper class are long gone. It's now the second choice as the bling ride for rappers after king Escalade.

Last edited by solstice; 06-01-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I agree that a wagon is the better choice than an SUV for around town and road trips, however if you use the SUV as an SUV it beats the wagon. There is the obvious ground clearance difference but I also noticed that a wagon is much harder to keep clean when packing a bunch muddy people into the car and of some reason an SUV can hold a lot more wet clothing and equipment without getting misty inside. This matters a lot when you move from difference ski touring access points since the car isn't frozen inside and out when you return. Another issue with a wagon is snow buildup under the fenders leading to a suspension that acts like it bottoms out. I've used both types for years in all kind of conditions and both has their advantages but if you are a serious and frequent outdoors person the SUV is better from my experience.

The days when the Range Rover was a sign of class and upper class are long gone. It's now the second choice as the bling ride for rappers after king Escalade.
Hah!
The SUV to beat on the things you just put forward is the LADA NIVA.
I use it just for the purposes you mention;
Wet people hauling, snow, dirt, no problem what so ever for cleaning or paint protection!
Just fabulous.
It really is pityfull on the highway though...

But I prefer my blond wife in a Range Rover over seeing her coming home in a V6 Cayenne.
But that is me, in France she loves driving the Niva, mind you not only for shopping, she is doing the offroads pretty well.

Hhmm, that reminds me getting back on topic, the drivetrain of the LADA, compared to the F10, malfunctions all the time...
So to the OP, really it can get very much worse, get a Niva and be happy ever after with your Bimmer.

Last edited by Sophisto; 06-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535ix MSport w/ Dot
Verified that it was the pump that was replaced
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550xi, M Sport,HUD
I Got the same issue at 3200 miles, they replaced the Fuel controller. Today, I had less than 1/4 tank and "Fuel Malfunction, Drive moderatly" error came up. I went to gas station and filled gas, since car was restarted it did not come back. I am at 3700 miles on this. There is no impact to Drive or anything, it is just that it annoys me. If it retuns back again, I will be seeing dealer soon.
Mine is 06/2011 bult.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i ** 2002 325ci
Just experienced the same issue on Friday. was backing out of driveway and the car completely shut off and immediately the "drive train" light came on. restarted and took off and everything seemed fine. but then within 10 miles, the car cut off comletely again. once restarted i took it to BMW and they said it was a bad fuel pump and bad battery. they have since replaced and i will be picking up the car on Monday...will report back what we find...

question for everything, do you guys feel that a car with only 22k miles should have to replace the fuel pump and battery?? is this something to be concerned with long term and should i be looking at a trade?? just a little concerned is all...maybe i shouldnt be??

2011 535i*Jet Black*Oyster/Black Interior*P1*P2*Convenience Package*Split Fold Rear Seats*Anthracite Wood*

2002 325ci*Silver Metallic*Grey Interior*5 speed* Burlwood*Premium*Ski pass through

2006 X3 *retired*

1979 Chevy Corvette*White*Red Interior* 30,000 original miles
Old 10-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
There have been several bad fuel pumps reported here with lower mileage than yours - so that's not too surprising. There should be no linkage between your bad fuel pump and your bad battery. I would guess that there might have been some battery error codes stored along the way. With most dealers giving owners pushback about warranty replacement of batteries, I would be very happy if my dealer insisted on replacing one for free, especially one that had time and miles like yours on it.

However, I suspect many "bad" batteries might be traced to a bad charging system, so I'd log the battery voltage for a few months after replacement, to see your charging system is up to par.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolnoor View Post
I Got the same issue at 3200 miles, they replaced the Fuel controller. Today, I had less than 1/4 tank and "Fuel Malfunction, Drive moderatly" error came up. I went to gas station and filled gas, since car was restarted it did not come back. I am at 3700 miles on this. There is no impact to Drive or anything, it is just that it annoys me. If it retuns back again, I will be seeing dealer soon.
Mine is 06/2011 bult.
You should go to dealer. This is exactly what happened to me. It is a one off malfunction on low fuel. In my case it was a faulty fuel sensor. A very quick and easy fix. It is not going to cause issues most of the time, but why not get it fixed.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels