Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Ipod Options Dension GW51MO2 or GW51MO21?

I called BMW they said the retrofit was unavailable for my 04 745 so it seems the only option is GW51MO2 or GW51MO1 by dension anybody has experience with either of the two.

whats the deal with MP3 retrofit they say your vechile should have BMW honolulu doesnt know what im talking about.

and with the dension unit can i control songs from the ipod and the idrive
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Rolling with the punche$

Mein Auto: 2004 745 li
I recently had the Dension Gateway Lite (GWLIMO1) installed in my 2004 745 li. My car was built in early 2004, so I got the same information as you from my dealer about the BMW retrofit not working with my car. My Dension unit works great. I lost my CD changer (which I really didn't want anyway) in order to access iPod play through iDrive. A single CD shows up on CD changer screen. I can skip tracks within a given playlist or the entire iPod directly from the steering wheel. I can do all other controls directly from the iPod, which is stored with a long cable in the glove compartment. Text (song titles, etc.) is not supported.

The Dension compatibility list is attached. I hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dension BMW Compatibility Guide.pdf (101.7 KB, 120 views)

Built 02/04 but still a work in progress...
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 AM

I taught dension maintained cdc but Sounds good i'll go ahead order one. How difficult was the install was it plug & play?
Old 01-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Rolling with the punche$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrberretta View Post
I taught dension maintained cdc but Sounds good i'll go ahead order one. How difficult was the install was it plug & play?
I had a local shop do the install. They had some issues downloading the firmware so they called in this expert who showed them the proper steps to ensure that the firmware was recognized and loaded correctly. I seem to recall there were a few tricks about when to place the key in the ignition during the downloading process, how long to wait, etc. for all of the components to be properly recognized. Once this was worked out, everything performed perfectly.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 AM

So should i be recieving a cd with the firmware or is it available online
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM

got everything installed works perfect
Old 01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
RomeClaire

Mein Auto: 745Li
Hey guys, we have an 03 745Li. Can I get one of these dension units in my car fin my ipod??

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Bimmer
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 PM

Yes i recomend the lite if you dont plan connect video, sinple to install and easy to operate gives you usb and ipod capabilities
Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Rolling with the punche$

Quote:
got everything installed works perfect
Congrats. I'm glad to hear it's working for you.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Rostman Send a message via Skype™ to Rostman
Mein Auto: GT 550Xi
Does this Lite version shows track names?
And could bluetooth unit be connected to this dension lite?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM

No track names but you can change track from steering wheel and you still have control of the iPod and the bluetooth wont work either just get a BTUM 9000 that works perfect puts your contacts on I drive e and the keypad will work to dial numbers
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM
Rolling with the punche$

Quote:
No track names but you can change track from steering wheel and you still have control of the iPod and the bluetooth wont work either just get a BTUM 9000 that works perfect puts your contacts on I drive e and the keypad will work to dial numbers
I have the same setup. I have the BTUM 9000 and Dension working together through iDrive. I've also connected my iPhone directly to the Dension unit in order to play Pando, while still being able to receive calls through BTUM. Yes, it would have been great to have text support on iDrive, but the setup is more than serviceable. I'm just happy to be done with CDs!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Rolling with the punche$

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
I have the same setup. I have the BTUM 9000 and Dension working together through iDrive. I've also connected my iPhone directly to the Dension unit in order to play Pando, while still being able to receive calls through BTUM. Yes, it would have been great to have text support on iDrive, but the setup is more than serviceable. I'm just happy to be done with CDs!
...Oops, I meant "Pandora," lol.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to Rostman Send a message via Skype™ to Rostman
Mein Auto: GT 550Xi
Quote:
I do not have options for using BTUM. That is why i'm thinking to buy Gateaway 500 model and bluetooth unit for that.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:26 PM

DENSION GATEWAY LITE GWL1MO1 all the way

D Hunt you hooked me up man. I did my own research and installed the Gateway Lite GWL1MO1 personally today. (I used to install stereos) so I thought I could handle this. I learned how to get to the CD changer through a video on youtube. Now I have CD quality music through my Ipod and Ipone. More importantly, NO MORE CDs or FM MODULATORS!!! Thanks bro!!!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: Acadia
Power supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS745i View Post
D Hunt you hooked me up man. I did my own research and installed the Gateway Lite GWL1MO1 personally today. (I used to install stereos) so I thought I could handle this. I learned how to get to the CD changer through a video on youtube. Now I have CD quality music through my Ipod and Ipone. More importantly, NO MORE CDs or FM MODULATORS!!! Thanks bro!!!
Was the Dension Gateway Lite just plug-and-play or did you have to tap into a power source to get it working?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:12 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
First off, I want to thank dhunt for the info on the GWLIMO1, I just installed it and it works perfectly. It's actually not very hard to do, I've never installed stereos and was able to do it withing a couple of hrs. spybug, yes, you have to tap into the power source -the same which was powering your (now obsolete) CD changer.