Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528I
Carchex extended warranty on 2002 745LI

Hi everyone, I have a slight leak on my tranmission oil pan. Ihave a hairline fracture in the plastic tranmission oil pan. My tranmission failsafe came on since had the indy only fill back up the trans fluid to buy time. Should I use my carchex extended warranty to get a new transmission also since it looks like if I get this fix the problem may continue? Here is what my carchex warranty covers:
Transmission & Transfer case: All internally lubricated parts of the manual or automatic transmission and transfer case (if 4WD/AWD surcharge is applied) including but not limited to: bushings, main shaft washer, oil pump, output shaft, drive chain gears, flywheel/flexplate, drive chain, shift bushing, shift linkage, transmission cooler, torque converter, drum, planetaries, sun gear, shell, shafts, bearings, shift rails, bell housing, vaccum modulator, forks, synchronizers. Any damage resulting from failures by related parts or units such as but not limited to: cables, controls, coolers, drive axles/bearings and electronic components, levers, linkages, manual shift clutch components, radiator, rubber mounts, sensors and solenoids, shifter, viscous couplings, internal or external, to the engine and transmission are not covered.
So if I wanted to replace my transmission based on what was said above would it be ok and wouldn't run into no problems from the auto warranty people? Please chime in.
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
I've never tried what you describe, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that having the entire transmission replaced due to a leaky pan is probably not going to happen.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
Crazy....#1 did you do the car justice to just fill the fluid back knowing that the pan needed to be replaced.

#2 carchex just sells the extended service plan, who holds the warranty, some are good, some won't touch it.

#3 your Indy is responsible to let your warranty company know what has been done to your car up to this point...

#4 delete this thread...

My 2 cents

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750 Li
Dont really understand your question, you have a transmission leak and a 3rd party warranty and your wondering if you should use the warranty? They are not just going to say replace the transmission without sending one of their inspectors out. But you have a leak and you have a warranty, take it to shop and get the process started. Your car may be there for a while.

White halos, reverse camera, tinted taillights, 20% tint all around, 35% tint on windshield, roof spoiler, custom painted 22'' GFG's, eibach springs, bmw ipod hook up, calibers painted white to match the lip on the rims
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrca View Post
I've never tried what you describe, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that having the entire transmission replaced due to a leaky pan is probably not going to happen.
No before I posted this I did a search that lead me to come to the conclusion that continuous problems with the trans failsafe could lead to it being a bad transmission which is why I posted what I did by Carchex to see if anyone else could find problems with them wanting to cover the transmission whether from experience or seeing something I may have missed IF IT CAME TO THAT!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
Crazy....#1 did you do the car justice to just fill the fluid back knowing that the pan needed to be replaced.

#2 carchex just sells the extended service plan, who holds the warranty, some are good, some won't touch it.

#3 your Indy is responsible to let your warranty company know what has been done to your car up to this point...

#4 delete this thread...

My 2 cents

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
1. There was a small hairline leak which could be sealed up. Instead of replacing the entire pan. Because the indy wasn't able to do this they would refil the fluid which would basically buy me up to nearly 3 months before it leaked out to find another indy who would do it. I've found one.

2. Duh, but my reason was for those reading this was to see if they found any red tape based on THE LANGUAGE ITSELF OF WHAT THEY HAD IN MY CONTRACT. Telling me about general non-specifice warranties that isn't my warranty really doesn't help me.

3. Duh again, see point two again!

4. No, this is a common problem that many posters ask to be answered but I've never seen any warranty discussed along with with any potential transmission problem for the 745.

thanks for posting stupid answers that I already know. But for those who want to carry an intelligent conversation on this topic please feel free to chime in. I don't need someone telling me to do basic things with a car warranty I already know when I'm asking for someone to perhaps look at my warranty and see if their is any draw back IN THE LANGUAGE OF THE WARRANTY against this type of repair.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiceoo View Post
Dont really understand your question, you have a transmission leak and a 3rd party warranty and your wondering if you should use the warranty? They are not just going to say replace the transmission without sending one of their inspectors out. But you have a leak and you have a warranty, take it to shop and get the process started. Your car may be there for a while.
They can send an inspector if they want. If the transmission fails then it fails and needs to be fixed from what I've seen from the warranty. I've already addressed the leak, but if I keep having problems then from what was said on this board and other bmw mechanics then the transmission would be bad and needs to be replaced. Representative or no representative.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=316995

This post inspired me to write my thread here. Didn't want to encounter any further problems.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMAX1234 View Post
thanks for posting stupid answers that I already know.
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think his point was that allowing the transmission to go into failsafe because of a leak you knew was there is not going to work out for you in the long run.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrca View Post
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think his point was that allowing the transmission to go into failsafe because of a leak you knew was there is not going to work out for you in the long run.
Where did I say I knew that there was a pre-existing leak b4 taking it to the indy? All this was after. I'm shocked at the logic of these responses. If I was a mechanic I would fix the car myself and not pay an indy.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
I was not trying to post stupid questions but reading your post and publishing my thoughts about your questions. QUOTE "I have a slight leak on my tranmission oil pan. Ihave a hairline fracture in the plastic tranmission oil pan. My tranmission failsafe came on since had the indy only fill back up the trans fluid to buy time." Right here is just grounds for your warranty company to refuse any coverage in your service plan. Your mechanic has to disclose all service of your car to the company that holds your warrany, ie Warranty Provider. Back to #2 Carchex just sells the plans, your warranty company is just like mine and is covered by Enterprise Financial Group in Dallas Tx. Check your paperwork that came with your contract. #4 was just a tip that you might want to delete this post, there is what? (1) good fourm for 02-08 7 series, this company (EFG,INC) is a pain in the ass to deal with from what I have read, they are not going to pay for teardown and seek out what is wrong with the transmission, you will. At this point they will try in every way of not paying for the repair, and they will only replace the part or parts that may be causing the problem with used or junkyard parts and on top of this they will buy the parts and have them shipped to your repair shop.

my thoughts are that you "buying time - 3 months" has voided your contract.

Ask me how I know.