Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
Error code P0340 and P1338 on Z4 - 2003

Any suggestion about how to fix this? It is Z4 2.5i-2003.

There something wrong with camshaft position sensor. But no idea it is left side or right side of CPS. There are two CPS parts are available for Z4, one with sensor, cable and connector and one has sensor only.

Error codes go with Bank1. Any suggestion?

Thanks

Last edited by kongfu1; 01-01-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Sorry I can't help with your specific question but was wondering what symptoms did you have? I also have an '03 Z4 and am experiencing a cold starting issue that may be vanos related. Sometimes vanos problems also trigger a cam position sensor/adjuster code. Thanks.

Edited to add that I don't get any codes which I find mystifying. Also to add that the only CPS I'm aware is the one that sits right below the exhaust (left side looking from the front of the car) cam shaft below the left vanos. And it looks like a sensor with a connector plugged into it. Hope this helped.

Last edited by kalali; 01-02-2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Intake cam position sensor has cable attached. and is located on right front of engine, just to left of oil filter, and under engine vent hose. Exhaust cam position sensor is located front left of engine just under cylinder head cover, if standing facing the engine in both cases. If you google "replacing intake camshaft position sensor BMW youtube, you should come up with a couple of videos on how to locate and replace. I believe the code you are getting PO340 is for the intake sensor malfunction Good luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Sometimes the car wouldn't started. From display panel, "engine service required" will
be displayed. If you remove the key, restart the engine it will be fine.
In California, it is rarely to see a cold weather. Not sure if the error codes are caused by vanos.

Last edited by kongfu1; 01-02-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eken View Post
Intake cam position sensor has cable attached. and is located on right front of engine, just to left of oil filter, and under engine vent hose. Exhaust cam position sensor is located front left of engine just under cylinder head cover, if standing facing the engine in both cases. If you google "replacing intake camshaft position sensor BMW youtube, you should come up with a couple of videos on how to locate and replace. I believe the code you are getting PO340 is for the intake sensor malfunction Good luck!
Thanks. Your post is very helpful.