Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Yup.

Mein Auto: Cars
Farewell Gents - new girl in the stable

So as many of you might recall, I sold my 6 a while ago and liberated many of her mods to others here on the forums.

I did promise to report what I got to replace it, and now, here she is: a black on black e65 Alpina B7. I went back and forth with many possibilities in the past few months, but finally settled on the idea of having a comfortable sedan that had some kick! Overall, this car won me over due to the fact that it has every option offered (night vision, active cruise, rear ent), and that the PO spent a small fortune making this one of the only B7s around with a 6yr/100k mile warranty - which is what kept me away from the likes of a Quattroporte or similar. And finally, I love the idea that I can get this car up my driveway without worrying about ride height, and that not everyone and their uncle has one!

Apologies for the pic quality, haven't gotten a chance to take any of my own:

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

PAST: ALPINA B7, e63, e39, e39, e36

Last edited by Hossy; 01-02-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to quarterto8 Send a message via Yahoo to quarterto8
Mein Auto: 04 E65 15 Escalade
Congrats on the purchase! Post some of these pictures on the e65/66 section. Lots of great people on that side. Love your car
Old 01-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterto8 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Post some of these pictures on the e65/66 section. Lots of great people on that side. Love your car
Thanks! Already did

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Congratulations and Happy New Year! It looks like your B7 came with everything!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650 I SPORT PKG
Mann Hossy nice pick up and Limited edition cars are always nice to have make sure you update us with more pics
Vorsteiner carbon lip,Deck wing and Rear diffuser
Black mantle grill
H&R 15mm spacers for front and back Go Wide
Painted front and rear brake calibers with M logo
Exhuast rensinator delete with cats removed

Lexus L 460 touring package Family car
Svt mustang Cobra racer
Lexus Gs Modded Daily
Bmw 650i Cabrio Sold
Saleen s 351
Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Looks like you decided to stay with the BMW family. The car looks great, & should still be fun to drive. The ride should be much better than the 6, but still sporty!

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Wonderful choice! You crossed my mind this week...hadn't heard from you in awhile. PM me with your cell and email.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 01-03-2012, 01:43 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Congrats Hoss. The B7 is a monster of a car, it should keep you happy for a while.

One thing that will probably drive you nuts is the fact that it's pre-modded to 9s but I'm sure you will find something to update.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-03-2012, 02:49 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Lovely choice of car outside of the 6, Alpina really do excellent modifications to the BMW range and quite rare on the roads with plenty of power on tap......

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-03-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Nice...
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 AM

Great purchase...I've also been looking at B7's and heard that they are not under CPO, only original new car warranty. Is that true? Is it due to the engine? How did you happen to come across one with a warranty? Any advice/tips?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
Congratulations and Happy New Year! It looks like your B7 came with everything!
Thank you, it did indeed! Fortunately, all B7's come with the premium options on the 7's as standard (ventilated/heated/massage front seats, comfort access, logic 7, Alcantera headliner, soft-close doors, etc) - and there are just a few that are still options, which most who ordered this car didn't skimp on. Night vision is probably the coolest of them! You can actually see tires warming up on the highway in front of you. Pretty slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADRIDES View Post
Mann Hossy nice pick up and Limited edition cars are always nice to have make sure you update us with more pics
Thanks - limited indeed, at least for the e65 run. Short wheelbase only offered for NA spec, and something around 750 of these exist, with around 50 in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Looks like you decided to stay with the BMW family. The car looks great, & should still be fun to drive. The ride should be much better than the 6, but still sporty!

Good Luck!
Thanks, I did stay with the family! It wasn't where I thought I'd land - I was across the board when it came to what I needed, and considered trading in my truck and getting an all-in-one kind of car, like a Cayenne Turbo S, as I hated the RR supercharged. But alas I still prefer having two very different cars, and decided that comfort/luxury and sport were the primary factors for the second car, which excluded the purer sports cars and made it a pretty short list. And as you point out, the B7 has a nice ride and about 500 bhp with an assortment of other sportier Alpina refinements to the standard 750, which together make it exactly what I wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post
Wonderful choice! You crossed my mind this week...hadn't heard from you in awhile. PM me with your cell and email.
Done! Don't be a stranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Congrats Hoss. The B7 is a monster of a car, it should keep you happy for a while.

One thing that will probably drive you nuts is the fact that it's pre-modded to 9s but I'm sure you will find something to update.
Thanks Yorgi - my goal is to keep it for AT LEAST a year! And concerning mods, you are exactly right - it's already got most of the mods I could want! But what it does leave me are the little aesthetic mods which are still fun, like grilles, bulbs, you know the deal. One large mod that I am considering, however, is a full interior swap. I am planning to either to either swap out the interior for a lighter color, or do a custom interior color for just the seats and door panels, leaving the carpets and dash as is. Not sure yet, but that is likely the only significant mod I may do if I don't stick with the black on black motif. Everything else is... already perfect! But I am fairly certain I have thought that of my past cars too.... so who knows, I'm sure I'll find more to keep me busy as you suggest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Lovely choice of car outside of the 6, Alpina really do excellent modifications to the BMW range and quite rare on the roads with plenty of power on tap......
Thanks - in the UK and much of Europe, you guys have been blessed with an assorted range of Alpina-modded BMWs for a while, from B3s to B12s! But here in the States, it is even more rare, as there were only something like 250 of the Alpina Z8 versions brought here, and the B7 is the only other model offered after that. The newer F01 B7's are gaining in popularity, but I am not sure what the production numbers are on it. As far as the e65 B7, I am very happy to be amongst a lucky few who have a car that is more rare than a Lamborghini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmM HoLLa View Post
Nice...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2modfast View Post
Great purchase...I've also been looking at B7's and heard that they are not under CPO, only original new car warranty. Is that true? Is it due to the engine? How did you happen to come across one with a warranty? Any advice/tips?
That is exactly right - B7s are not certified. I can only speculate, but it does make a lot of sense for BMW not to certify this car. In addition, most of the dealers are probably not that familiar with it in the first place, also making service a tad bit more complicated, despite it being based on the 750 platform. The bottom of the engine is Alpina-reinforced, as are many other portions of the car (tranny, rear axle, diff, etc), all done to withstand the power, promote performance, AND keep it running for the long term. But in the end, it is a supercharged 500hp $138k car - and after 4 years, it probably doesn't make a lot of financial sense to warrant it.

As far as my car, the PO was one of the few who initially opted to purchase an aftermarket warranty on the car to the tune of about $8k. There are a few others out there with a warranty, or even the OPTION to purchase the warranty when the original comes due, and I would take it if possible! The issue is that many of the aftermarket warranters initially allowed the B7 (the VIN will reflect a 750, with an Alpina trim level option) - but they caught on to the possibility that it might not be fiscally responsible to allow it - so some of the companies made it incredibly pricey, and some just disallowed the car completely. Good luck finding one. I actually saw one on Friday with the extended warranty option for only about 4k extra, and I just now checked the listing to PM it to you, but it is already gone.

It took me just short of 6 months for the general car search, and even when I had decided on a B7, it was up and down. I almost bought 2 other B7s, and I started my inquiries the DAY OF each of their listings, however there are many others out there looking for the right B7 for them, and I lost out to those buyers due to locality (the first two I considered buying were across the country). So if you are patient, you will probably find them as they are being traded in on new B7's fairly often. My car was a very well-serviced 1-owner car, and as you might expect, that is not uncommon for this model. So consider what your "deal breakers" are on the car you are looking for, and be patient. Most of the time, you will find great examples at around 25-35k miles for under $50k, just do your usual due diligence before purchasing. Then again, if what you want is difficult to find (for example, if you wanted Barbera Red, there was only 1 made for NA originally to Canada, and the owner sold it recently) - then you need to remember that there is a fairly small pool of 750 or so of these cars (or rather, 749! haha). So know what you want to pay, what you need on the car, and go for it. But when you do find that one, DON'T WASTE TIME! Jump on it, because there are about 100 guys just like me who want the same thing.

Good luck on your search!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Hossy; 01-03-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
wow excellent purchase!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Hoss - Congrat's on your purchase! Looks like a great find. Take care and happy new year.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Great find, those cars are monsters for a sedan. I don't ever want one, but I can understand why you bought the Alpina. It is different and outside your normal options for 500hp sedans - M5, Merc AMG, etc., which you see everywhere. At least in the major metro areas like Tampa and even more so Atlanta.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Now with all that said, it time to update your Sig!

Great Choice!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castercorey View Post
wow excellent purchase!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
Hoss - Congrat's on your purchase! Looks like a great find. Take care and happy new year.
Thanks Greg - hope you are doing well! let's get together again soon, as I now live a lot closer to where you work, as I am 2 mins from Buckhead now - so let me know when we can grab a beer (+ cigars)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Great find, those cars are monsters for a sedan. I don't ever want one, but I can understand why you bought the Alpina. It is different and outside your normal options for 500hp sedans - M5, Merc AMG, etc., which you see everywhere. At least in the major metro areas like Tampa and even more so Atlanta.
I didn't think I'd ever be looking at them, but as I'm sure we all know, things change - my practical needs and general (car) attitude have shifted a bit recently, and this was at the end of that path. And you hit the nail on the head - 2 of my neighbors have a Panamera turbo, one has an S63 AMG, and everyone knows how popular M5's are. And around here, I like having a rare sleeper sedan and the idea of being a little less ostentatious has its merits. There are still B7s around, but not nearly as many as most other types in the category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Now with all that said, it time to update your Sig!

Great Choice!
OK OK, I will. I must admit, now that I think about it, it is hard to let go of the last vestige of my 6er ownership... but it is time.

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Very nice. I saw an Alpina B7 in Los Gatos the other day, first in at least a year. Though I don't hang out around those parts too much these days . They're awesome cars. Enjoy yours!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Hoss - sounds great on the beers and cigars - pm sent.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 6er
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossy View Post

That is exactly right - B7s are not certified.
Alpina isn't a Just modifier of BMW's, it's an acknowledged manufacturer all on it's own. So technically BMW can't warranty another manufacturers car.

You're an Alpina Driver!!!

Love the car! If you change the interior make sure you get someone who can replicate the alpina stitching... seen some lovely creme Alpina interiors!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 650i ragtop
Double post

Last edited by number3; 01-15-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 650i ragtop
http://www.skymotorcars.com/web/used...vania/1002962/

I saw this one yesterday.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: Jet Black e63
That is a very Nice Machine indeed! Congrats on it. I saw one at the BMW show in 2011 and gave it great scores for the BMW of Mt. Laurel show.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Old 05-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Yup.

Thought I'd revive an old thread for perhaps my final farewell - I have left BMW altogether now.

Sold the B7 and other cars in Feb, picked up whole differnt 'fleet!' But I STILL come back every now and then to see some of you guys' 6ers, as I never fell out of love with the e63 body.

In the mean time, I have kept up with a few of you from the 6er forum, but didn't really love the crew from the e65 section in the past year or so - and the ALPINA folks were fewer and farther between. Anyway, thought I'd post a last time and say thanks and final goodbye - but I think at some point I'll pick another 6er up for fun in a couple years - even with the new fun in the garage!

Thanks folks, I have great memories of this section and the people in it!

Maserati GT 4.2
Range Rover 4.4
Dodge Ram 1500

Old 05-04-2013, 03:12 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Another excellent choice in car and quite rare, I have seen a few in the UK, but the drivers seem to be the type that do not know how far the accelerator can be depressed
I very much like the Maserati, but have to say if you enjoy forums you will be a voice in the wilderness.
I agree with you that the 6 Series is by far the best forum on the internet with some excellent people with a real love of their cars who treat people with respect no matter how many times a thread is repeated because they have not gone through the history
I currently have a Mercedes and use a couple of their forums, and have found that the people on the forum are as far removed as BMW cars are from Mercedes. Worth buying a 6 again just to maintain the forum!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !