Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328I xdrive
Seriously, what qualifies a Bimmer for an M badge?

I find it interesting, that people who are running completely stock Bimmers put the infamous M performance badge on the back of there cars. What qualifies there cars over everyone else's? The M badge is cool, but I feel you have to actually have M performance parts installed in order to put it on your car...anyone else feel the same?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
I find it interesting, that people who are running completely stock Bimmers put the infamous M performance badge on the back of there cars. What qualifies there cars over everyone else's? The M badge is cool, but I feel you have to actually have M performance parts installed in order to put it on your car...anyone else feel the same?
My 328i MSport has at least 13 M badges. One on each brake caliper, one on each wheel, one on each door sill, and one on the steering wheel. They are all factory placed.

2014 328i Sedan, Estoril Blue, M-Sport package, M-Sport Brakes, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Drivers Assistance Package, Nav
Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
Actually the M badge on the back designates the "M" model (like M3, M5, M Roadster). If the badge on the back is added after it leave the factory then they are a poser and the car is not a real "M" model. Other models will have M badges on the brakes, wheels, steering wheel, etc., but not on the back. These have M performance parts added at the factory or after the car left the factory.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW Perf Tune w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci 1988 560SL
M badge

Agree. The M badge on the back is supposed to be for M cars only. (M3, M4 etc). A 4 series such as a 435i can have M Performance Parts on it (for example M Sport Line with M wheels, unique front bumper/grill to the M Sport Line, etc) however, it is not an "M4" and the rear badge should not be on it. This is for impostors! Not fair to the owners of true "M" cars.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: Z3, 328i, 435i
True "Ms" can be found under the "M" section of the BMW USA web site. Others might have M parts but are not true M cars. Cars with M-Sport packages are not M models. Those that put M badges on other than true M models are wannabes.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:

Regarding M4: After 10 years and 70,000 posts I still haven't seen anyone put an M logo before a 228i except for BMW themselves. I'm not sure where these mythical poseurs live but I haven't seen one. Not a single one. Highways, backroads, high schools, Walmart, never saw one outside of a few suspected Photoshops.

Regarding M-Sport: BMW has created a line that celebrates the M heritage from a design standpoint and a handling standpoint, a car without the 500 HP engine that's more suitable for a daily driver, dubbed it the M-Sport. The only M badges you see on an M-Sport live on the fenders of new 4 Series cars shipped to Europe, Asia, South America, and Bergen County.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupé | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 12-29-2014, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: G37 Coupe 2011
If the car is a true M, then the logo can be placed anywhere the driver wants.

If the car consists of M parts then the M logo should be placed on or near that part (ex Steering wheel, seats, brakes, etc).

If BMW wants to charge 3k and up for an M package, then you have the right to use that M badge otherwise BMW shouldn't use that M title.

If the M badge is located anywhere on a car that may confuse other people into thinking it is an M SERIES,when it is not in fact an M SERIES then thats a problem.

This is my take.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNNY View Post
If the car is a true M, then the logo can be placed anywhere the driver wants.

If the car consists of M parts then the M logo should be placed on or near that part (ex Steering wheel, seats, brakes, etc).

If BMW wants to charge 3k and up for an M package, then you have the right to use that M badge otherwise BMW shouldn't use that M title.

If the M badge is located anywhere on a car that may confuse other people into thinking it is an M SERIES,when it is not in fact an M SERIES then thats a problem.

This is my take.
I don't see it as a problem, it's up to the owner to make the choice.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
The way it comes. Otherwise you are just applying makeup because you think it makes you more attractive.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 12-29-2014, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: MW/SO M3, X1 28i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I don't see it as a problem, it's up to the owner to make the choice.
^This and I'm with BJ. I've never seen any body do it unless it was on obvious joke on a 20 year old Civic.

To an above poster. I believe the M235 gets one on the back and that isn't a true M car by definition.

OP why do you care? I believe you put on a mod that some think is in poor taste. The door light up badge thing right? Do what you want, it is your car.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:46 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
^This and I'm with BJ. I've never seen any body do it unless it was on obvious joke on a 20 year old Civic.

To an above poster. I believe the M235 gets one on the back and that isn't a true M car by definition.

OP why do you care? I believe you put on a mod that some think is in poor taste. The door light up badge thing right? Do what you want, it is your car.

I've occasionally seen M badges on cars that were obviously not M cars. Why this gets some people upset strikes me as rather silly.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31 M-Sport GS/BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanieK View Post
Agree. The M badge on the back is supposed to be for M cars only. (M3, M4 etc). A 4 series such as a 435i can have M Performance Parts on it (for example M Sport Line with M wheels, unique front bumper/grill to the M Sport Line, etc) however, it is not an "M4" and the rear badge should not be on it. This is for impostors! Not fair to the owners of true "M" cars.
Every time used these types of posts I laugh. Not sure why it should bother anyone. It's the persons car to do whatever they like.

The fact that someone putting a fake "M" on their car bothers someone who owns a true M, only proves that true M person purchased it to impress people or to pump up their own ego. How should anyone else's car make it "not fair" to the M owner?

I'm sure most M owners don't care what another person puts on their car, enjoys their M for its great performance, and knows it will take any of the fake M's in a race if need be. I highly doubt anyone looks at a fake M car, gets tricked and thinks "wow he owns an M, he must be a highly successful thrill seeker, I have to meet him!"

If people get a kick out of putting an M wherever they want, no one should care. Should the fact that my M-Sport has an M on the kick plate bother anyone? By definition in this thread, the kick plate probably doesn't classify as an M modified part unlike the brakes and wheel, etc, so why have an M on an average ol' kick plate? I don't know, BMW put it there.

People should just enjoy their own cars, stop thinking that people judge or look up to you based on the car you drive, and just get a chuckle out of another's " fake M", and stop getting bothered by it. These people are coming off more like a "poser" for thinking their "true M" will help their appearance and status in life, than the fake M guys.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i m-sport
I recently switched from a '13 335i to a '15 X3 35i. The X3 is an m-sport. It's black and I got the black license plate holder that has the M logo on it (no model #, of course). I was seriously gun-shy about putting it on, due to the constant debate over this topic. I can't imagine anyone would think I'm trying to trick people into thinking I'm driving a true M, particularly since one doesn't exist in X3 form. It's honestly because the logo is cool, I love BMW, it looks good on the car and it's way better than advertising the dealer. I would like to own a true M someday, but there isn't one yet that works for me. The future X3M could be it (though I know there are M owners that think any X series can never be a true M). Anyway, I fully support what BJ did, since that is the Eurospec. Same is true for the X3 according to the configurator, actually.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanieK View Post
I think it is up to the BMW factory to place badges and otherwise design their cars to attract buyers. Similarly the individual can decide how to modify the car that they own in ways that give them enjoyment. We buy these sporty cars to have fun. Just try to enjoy your car for the features it has and don't get too hung up on the way others choose to customize theirs.

Last edited by John MS; 12-29-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
It used to be reserved for the top of the line performance, now just a sign of marketing... BMW realized the M meant something to people and a certain perceived value above and beyond BMW itself like AMG was to Mercedes. Old school BMW enthusiast frown upon it when it is not a true "M" car. It's your car. You paid a lot of money for it. Put whatever your heart desires on it. But back to your question, the M use to be only reserved to the highest performance model of each series and not just cosmetic differences. Hence the terms M3, M5, M6..

Last edited by Dippydo; 12-29-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
It used to be reserved for the top of the line performance, now just a sign of marketing... BMW realized the M meant something to people and a certain perceived value above and beyond BMW itself like AMG was to Mercedes. Old school BMW enthusiast frown upon it when it is not a true "M" car. It's your car. You paid a lot of money for it. Put whatever your heart desires on it. But back to your question, the M use to be only reserved to the highest performance model of each series and not just cosmetic differences. Hence the terms M3, M5, M6..
The M badge has always been about marketing the BMW brand and convincing buyers to part with a goodly sum of money for a higher performance car.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
The M badge has always been about marketing the BMW brand and convincing buyers to part with a goodly sum of money for a higher performance car.

It was a completely separate line before. There were cosmetic differences and above all performance differences. The "M-Sport" is purely cosmetic now and wears the M badges as some say 11-13 of them. The brakes with the M on them are no different than the ones that come unpainted on the 335, just painted. The suspension is the same as the sport line, etc etc etc...

There still is a huge difference in the amount of car from M-sport to the real M though both performance and cosmetic. Of course everything companies do is about marketing, but the M is no longer reserved for the elite cars of the brand. I don't fault them for doing it. It's a great strategy from a business perspective. You build an elite brand up and have it tease and trickle into the mainstream product.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 435 vert & X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkarn View Post
It's the persons car to do whatever they like.
I'm adding this to my Amazing Facts List right now.

Gary J
ED May 6, 2014 thread
435i Convertible Estoril Blue. Dakota Black/Blue M Sport
plus pretty much everything else but Parking Assistant
Old 12-29-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I'm adding this to my Amazing Facts List right now.
No need. Just take a mental picture for the next time this topic pops up.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by khammack View Post
actually the m badge on the back designates the "m" model (like m3, m5, m roadster). If the badge on the back is added after it leave the factory then they are a poser and the car is not a real "m" model. Other models will have m badges on the brakes, wheels, steering wheel, etc., but not on the back. These have m performance parts added at the factory or after the car left the factory.
+1
Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: MW/SO M3, X1 28i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
+1
http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...e-photos_5.jpg

This is supposedly not a real M car, but it gets the badge on the back from the factory. Even BMW is
Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
It was a completely separate line before. There were cosmetic differences and above all performance differences. The "M-Sport" is purely cosmetic now and wears the M badges as some say 11-13 of them. The brakes with the M on them are no different than the ones that come unpainted on the 335, just painted. The suspension is the same as the sport line, etc etc etc...

There still is a huge difference in the amount of car from M-sport to the real M though both performance and cosmetic. Of course everything companies do is about marketing, but the M is no longer reserved for the elite cars of the brand. I don't fault them for doing it. It's a great strategy from a business perspective. You build an elite brand up and have it tease and trickle into the mainstream product.
The M badge, just like the various lines and option packages are all about marketing versions of BMW cars to interested buyers. It has always been that way. I would not characterize the M as ever having been an elite or limited edition or a special purpose vehicle. It is and has always been a sporty street car with a package of features that appeals to a group of people with the $$ and interest.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328I xdrive
Being the OP, and to answer a few questions, I'm all about modifying your car to any particular taste you like. Your money, your time, your warranty!
I was just curious why or what makes a stock Bimmer M badge worthy?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Being the OP, and to answer a few questions, I'm all about modifying your car to any particular taste you like. Your money, your time, your warranty!
I was just curious why or what makes a stock Bimmer M badge worthy?
Well, at least that is a more reasonable comment than some of the other posters getting defensive about the M brand, calling people posers or imposters.

I would say it's personal preference why the individual wants to put an M on their car. Some, like BJ, feel like representing the car as it is in Europe before debadging. Some like the way the M looks in the back, want to have fun with it and don't care what anyone thinks. Some tune the car and want people to know it(M235 from factory is technically just a tuned 35 with M-Sport looks). Who knows. My M-Sport has Ms everywhere, I think it looks good, adds a hint of color to the steering wheel and the rims and kick plates, as well as giving me a little something extra for getting the highest trim package even if it is just a little M.

Whatever floats your boat. It's like any other item you buy and then want to customize to your hearts desire.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Just a little fyi - The first M Sport model was the E12 M535i, produced for the 1980 & 1981 model years. The E28 M535i was introduced at the 1984 Paris Auto Show. It was only a cosmetic package.

Then and Than are different words and they are not interchangeable.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-08-2015 at 11:23 AM.