Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:09 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Exclamation I'll admit...i was wrong! B.m.w.

B.M.W.=Bavarian Magic Workers

I have been harsh & cynical and mostly negative about the upcoming F30.
I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones
...and BMW has had some doozies, like my beloved N52 & S65.
And no one has to twist my arm...to get me to admit when I was WRONG.
Actually, in this case, happy to 'fess up that I was.

Been on a sort of holiday tour since Christmas. As some as you may know, some select companies get examples of pre-release cars.
I got to experience the F30 328i "sport" & 335i M-Sport.
AMAZING!!!
2 Freak'n amazing drives!
You would NEVER know that 328i had a 4 banger...the N20 pulls like mad, and the car handles like none in recent years, perfect balance, almost "M" like? Like the M division flew over and sprinkled it's magic tuner pixie dust on the other lesser cars...boosting their self esteem, lol?

The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
A BEAST, that is for a regular non M car.

Styling wise, looks much, MUCH better in the flesh...er, "metal", that is.
STILL HATE that fugly hood-line, they could have done so much better with that as the other German builders have!
Except for that, looks sharp, a lot of "light catching" design subtitles that must be seen up close.
Still prefer the old hydraulic steering...maybe in time they can mimic it? I hope so.
Not bad, though, just not as magical, feel wise.
M-Sport is killer outside, not so much inside, like the "Sport-line" and kinda Mazda like with goofy color trim and plain black interiors with aluminum trim, done by so many cheap brands. Wish you could mix some of the interior colors & "trims", from the "Luxury & Modern Line" with the M-Sport exterior? I wish
Thinking now, about one for the wife?

I still love the M3 and the E9x still RULES
If you offered me a F30 328i AND a F30 335i for the E9x M3...I would choose the M3 every time
If they DO NOt do something "special" to the F8x next M3 design wise, like they did with the E9x HOOD (power dome & vents) side gills and wider body, not to mention the killer rear of the M3 with quad tips...I wil be pissed, it was the E9x M3 HOOD that told you right off this was no ordinary 3 series.

But those who cannot afford the next M3(or current for that matter)...will be happier than ever with the gap slightly closed handling wise, that is, betwen the 3 series and the M3, until , that is, the NEXt M3 arrives, which may surprise us all

My fears assuaged, for now

Last edited by 16n69; 01-12-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:13 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,737
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
props, the F30 really is going to be an awesome car. I think you will be pleasently surprised when you test drive one
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
props, the F30 really is going to be an awesome car. I think you will be pleasently surprised when you test drive one
uh what did you think I was talking about...?
...more than a "test drive"...hours & days!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2012, 03:30 PM
calmwinds calmwinds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
The question is, will the F30 328i 6MT feel as magical as the 8speed? I sure hope so.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmwinds View Post
The question is, will the F30 328i 6MT feel as magical as the 8speed? I sure hope so.
BMW has always had nice MT's, should not be much different there
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2012, 04:42 PM
7or8 7or8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: RI
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Wow, this is good news! Especially coming from you

How did the steering wheel in the Msport look and feel in person?


Thanks for the write up

Last edited by 7or8; 01-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:08 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
Wow, this is good news! Especially coming from you

How did the steering wheel in the Msport look and feel in person?


Thanks for the write up
Nice...I have small hands so it feels really thick to me, which I like
Like I said, though, nothing beats the "feel & feedback" of the classic BMW hydraulic steering.
Maybe, in time, they can artificially replicate this
Let's hope so.
Overall, I eat my former "words" (except for the fugly hoodline)...the car(s) ROCK...
...and it is the 328i that is most improved.
Can't wait to see what Dinan does with the N20 & N55, or perhaps, even BMW performance upgrades?

Still, ya think these automotive wizards @BMW can find a way to meet the Euro safety mandates and STILL design a nice hood (line) like the E46 or at least the E9x has?
Other German companies can
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,737
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
oh ****, i just read your whole thing, didnt know you drove a 328 sport! so jealous


Which suspension did it have? how was it?

How did you like the ZF 8 speed on the 328?

How were the sport seats?

The n20 has some toruqe, huh? I was impressed when i drove the z4 28i.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
oh ****, i just read your whole thing, didnt know you drove a 328 sport! so jealous


Which suspension did it have? how was it?

How did you like the ZF 8 speed on the 328?

How were the sport seats?
1. Not sure...?

2. Utterly fantastic, and I am a MT guy...at best DCT, this is an "AT" for the ages

3. Sport seats firm, yet comfy...only BMW can pull that off!
They have whole dept. that study the human physiology and engineer the seats accordingly!

I could not sleep afterwards, anticipating the possibilities for the next M3, if they up the ante?

I love the E9x M3, but more power with better mpg would be kinda nice.
And the F8x M3 may have it ALL inside, driver oriented angled dash with killer carbon fiber and upgraded leathers & trims, over the regular F30.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,737
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
1. Not sure...?

2. Utterly fantastic, and I am a MT guy...at best DCT, this is an "AT" for the ages

3. Sport seats firm, yet comfy...only BMW can pull that off!
They have whole dept. that study the human physiology and engineer the seats accordingly!

I could not sleep afterwards, anticipating the possibilities for the next M3, if they up the ante?

I love the E9x M3, but more power with better mpg would be kinda nice.
And the F8x M3 may have it ALL inside, driver oriented angled dash with killer carbon fiber and upgraded leathers & trims, over the regular F30.
the next m3 will be something for sure
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:39 PM
7or8 7or8 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: RI
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 179
Mein Auto: '09 335i msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
the next m3 will be something for sure
I'm sure! They probably know they have to pull off something real special to make up for going FI in the minds of some of their enthusiasts.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7or8 View Post
I'm sure! They probably know they have to pull off something real special to make up for going FI in the minds of some of their enthusiasts.
+1,000,000.
My sentiments...F.I. are fun 'round town...but I HATE the "M" legacy abandoned.
NA rules in M cars. I hope they (M), eventually recant.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:00 PM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 582
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Glad to hear the the great feedback from a "regular" guy who got to spend a lot of quality time with both engines, especially someone who that did not go as a real fan of the F30.

BTW, veeeery jealous. Would love to have such an opportunity before having to decide between engines and AT vs. MT.
__________________


'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Glad to hear the the great feedback from a "regular" guy who got to spend a lot of quality time with both engines, especially someone who that did not go as a real fan of the F30.

BTW, veeeery jealous. Would love to have such an opportunity before having to decide between engines and AT vs. MT.
Why...did you order already?

If not, can't go wrong with either, but, depends...for me, have rowed my own long enough, not getting any younger. and when I have a painful kink in my left knee, strain, tear from tennis or the like, nice to be able to still drive.
This new AT8 is killer...perfect, especially, for the N20
DCT or this new AT8 for me! (depending on the car, M will still surely have DCT)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 PM
bimmerbabe69 bimmerbabe69 is offline
Registered User
Location: Vegas
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: Vegas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Glad to hear the the great feedback from a "regular" guy who got to spend a lot of quality time with both engines, especially someone who that did not go as a real fan of the F30.

BTW, veeeery jealous. Would love to have such an opportunity before having to decide between engines and AT vs. MT.
Yeah, wow, you were pretty 'down" on the F30, before.
What happened
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-12-2012, 06:38 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbabe69 View Post
Yeah, wow, you were pretty 'down" on the F30, before.
What happened
Just go drive one a.s.a.p.,if you can or when you can...
...PURE SEX
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 582
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
Why...did you order already?
Not yet, but I doubt I will get much more than a cursory test drive, and I foresee these cars not staying on the lot for long so may be hard to even get a test drive in the first couple of months.

I was planning on 335i M-Sport but not happy with all the limitations on color choices, both inside & out. So, I am now considering going for a stripper 328i+ZSL+2TB on 3yr lease to hold me until M3 F80 comes out. Glad to hear the 328i is a great drive, and I will not be disappointed if I go that route.
__________________


'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:21 PM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 582
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
A BEAST, that is for a regular non M car.
Excellent to hear. We have the same low opinion of the E90 328i.
My sister had a typical lease special (6AT, no Sport) she just turned in and I was never impressed with it.
Always happy to get back in my trusty old E46 330i 5MT.
__________________


'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM
SoonerJohn SoonerJohn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
But those who cannot afford the next M3(or current for that matter)...will be happier than ever with the gap slightly closed handling wise, that is, betwen the 3 series and the M3...
This is a ridiculous, and frankly, an offensive statement! Buying an M3 versus some other model is about MUCH more than just what a person can or cannot afford. I could afford an M3 if I wanted one. I could afford a 5 Series if I wanted one. I could even swing a 7 Series if I *really* wanted one. It's not about what I can afford - it's about what I want. I love my power and handling, but I want a sedan... I want options that aren't available on the M's... I don't want something big like a 5'er or 7'er...

I'm buying an F30 335i Sedan because it is the perfect fit for what I'm after - plenty of power and handling, and suited to use as a small executive type car, and lots of cool technology. I'm buying it because it's what I want - not because it's all I can afford.

Last edited by SoonerJohn; 01-12-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
IAS IAS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 377
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
i checked out the F30 in auto show, i am impressed with the specs and interior, there will be lot of features on F30 for the same price (of E90) there will be reviews coming very soon. leg room is very good and finally better place for cup holders.
__________________
2013 X3 XDrive28i Sapphire Black Premium Package, Technology Pack, CWP, SAT Radio, BMP APPS.
2013 328xi Mineral Gray, Moonroof, CWP
E90 2011
E90 2007
E46 2005
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,322
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohn View Post
This is a ridiculous, and frankly, an offensive statement! Buying an M3 versus some other model is about MUCH more than just what a person can or cannot afford. I could afford an M3 if I wanted one. I could afford a 5 Series if I wanted one. I could even swing a 7 Series if I *really* wanted one. It's not about what I can afford - it's about what I want. I love my power and handling, but I want a sedan... I want options that aren't available on the M's... I don't want something big like a 5'er or 7'er...

I'm buying an F30 335i Sedan because it is the perfect fit for what I'm after - plenty of power and handling, and suited to use as a small executive type car, and lots of cool technology. I'm buying it because it's what I want - not because it's all I can afford.
Bud, you need to turn your sensitivity level down three or four notches.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
SoonerJohn SoonerJohn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan (F30)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Bud, you need to turn your sensitivity level down three or four notches.
Yeah, maybe so. But you gotta admit that his statement was a gross oversimplification of purchase decision criteria...
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,322
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
B.M.W.=Bavarian Magic Workers

I have been harsh & cynical and mostly negative about the upcoming F30.
I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones
...and BMW has had some doozies, like my beloved N52 & S65.
And no one has to twist my arm...to get me to admit when I was WRONG.
Actually, in this case, happy to 'fess up that I was.

Been on a sort of holiday tour since Christmas. As some as you may know, some select companies get examples of pre-release cars.
I got to experience the F30 328i "sport" & 335i M-Sport.
AMAZING!!!
2 Freak'n amazing drives!
You would NEVER know that 328i had a 4 banger...the N20 pulls like mad, and the car handles like none in recent years, perfect balance, almost "M" like? Like the M division flew over and sprinkled it's magic tuner pixie dust on the other lesser cars...boosting their self esteem, lol?

The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
A BEAST, that is for a regular non M car.

Styling wise, looks much, MUCH better in the flesh...er, "metal".
BMWs always look better in the metal than in photos. I don't think photos are able to adequately capture the subtleties of their design.

Please, elaborate on these "select companies" and your affiliation. I'm way jealous.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-13-2012, 04:30 AM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i
The powerbox had easily cured the ho-hum nature of the E90 328i for those who were willing to go the distance.

But you do make us all want to drive the new 328i, not that we didn't plan to do so already.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
gizmo jean gizmo jean is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 110
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
[QUOTE=16n69;6558170]B.M.W.=Bavarian Magic Workers

I have been harsh & cynical and mostly negative about the upcoming F30.
I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones
...and BMW has had some doozies, like my beloved N52 & S65.
And no one has to twist my arm...to get me to admit when I was WRONG.
Actually, in this case, happy to 'fess up that I was.

OP,

Great review. Your comments indicate that the F30 retained the sporting nature of the 3 series and even enhanced it over previous models, which is great. But I have a question about normal road manners. My E92 (prior to non run flats and Koni FSD shocks) used to bounce over bumps/potholes, especially mid-corner ones, and also crashed over larger road irregularities. Was BMW able to resolve some of that harshness in the new model?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms