Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Public Apology to BMW.Nick

So I've been pretty hard on the dealership BMW.Nick works for and he has been pretty patient with me about it. I want to apologize to him publicly because despite where he works, he is a really awesome guy. He took all the nastiness I could dish out and only got a little peevish and then came back and offered to help anyways.

Anyways, it just seemed like I should apologize. I might even go to the dealer for my DME flash as a result of Nick's attitude and effort. You deserve a raise Nick, it is amazing that I am even considering going to see your dealer.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325iT, 03 330xi
wow, I didn't see this coming. Thanks man, that really does mean a lot! I retract all those nasty things I was thinking about you now

As for the DME issue, Casey just told me that for the dealership to do it, we have to send the DME to New Jersey per BMW. I told him you had a guy that could do it while you waited and he said that perhaps he was using some sort of aftermarket software that we werent able to use. I asked him about turn around time and he said it would likely be 4 days but he would of course do all he could to expedite the process. Remember, Casey is a tech and not an SA so I definitely believe whatever he tells me to be true.

I can say that Casy has always handled anything over my head on my cars and he has never steered me wrong on anything.

So I guess the question becomes $127 for a 2 hour job or a little more for a potentially 4 day job by a certified tech. In all honesty, if the guy that claims he can do it for $127 and have it done same day has done it before and you feel comfortable with his work, that would definitely save time and money. On the other hand I know without question that Casey would do it 100% to BMW's specs.

Food for thought.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Nick View Post
wow, I didn't see this coming. Thanks man, that really does mean a lot! I retract all those nasty things I was thinking about you now

As for the DME issue, Casey just told me that for the dealership to do it, we have to send the DME to New Jersey per BMW. I told him you had a guy that could do it while you waited and he said that perhaps he was using some sort of aftermarket software that we werent able to use. I asked him about turn around time and he said it would likely be 4 days but he would of course do all he could to expedite the process. Remember, Casey is a tech and not an SA so I definitely believe whatever he tells me to be true.

I can say that Casy has always handled anything over my head on my cars and he has never steered me wrong on anything.

So I guess the question becomes $127 for a 2 hour job or a little more for a potentially 4 day job by a certified tech. In all honesty, if the guy that claims he can do it for $127 and have it done same day has done it before and you feel comfortable with his work, that would definitely save time and money. On the other hand I know without question that Casey would do it 100% to BMW's specs.

Food for thought.
I just wonder if the software is the same (and as good) as sending my DME to Jersey. That was my main concern. I KNOW it'll be right if it goes to the Jersey place. Any chance they'll give me a loaner for 4 days?

Oh, and thanks for all your help! I'll try not to be such a douche in the future.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM

You werent a douche, just frustrated.

I dont know enough about the software to know sadly, do you know anyone who's had it done by that indy shop?

And I can do a lot, but I dont know if I can swing a 4 day loaner. Doesnt mean i wont try though
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
You werent a douche, just frustrated.

I dont know enough about the software to know sadly, do you know anyone who's had it done by that indy shop?

And I can do a lot, but I dont know if I can swing a 4 day loaner. Doesnt mean i wont try though
I was kidding about the loaner. The shop I called was recommended to me by another ZHP owner who had it done there. Probably going to have to do it there since they can do it same day, but thanks for checking!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I might even go to the dealer for my DME flash as a result of Nick's attitude and effort. You deserve a raise Nick, it is amazing that I am even considering going to see your dealer.
Smolck, have you contacted anyone at Active Auto Werke yet? They would be my choice hands down. Do they have a shop near you that does the flash? If not their turn around is two or three days. You overnight to them. The do the flash and overnight back to you the same day.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-03-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Hiya Smolck! Very nice of you to do that publicly.

Not sure if this helps your decision one way or the other, but I had my DME reflashed by the dealership early on. This was a little after the 4k dip was a known issue.

Ii still had problems afterwards so they shipped it off to NJ.

After that, all was good.

Johnny
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic View Post
Hiya Smolck! Very nice of you to do that publicly.

Not sure if this helps your decision one way or the other, but I had my DME reflashed by the dealership early on. This was a little after the 4k dip was a known issue.

Ii still had problems afterwards so they shipped it off to NJ.

After that, all was good.

Johnny
I am afraid this might happen, which is why I wanted to go to the dealer. But being without a car for 3 or 4 days is a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Smolck, have you contacted anyone at Active Auto Werke yet? They would be my choice hands down. Do they have a shop near you that does the flash? If not their turn around is two or three days. You overnight to them. The do the flash and overnight back to you the same day.
No, but I thought you had to have the latest revision for their tune to be max effective. Plus, they want $500 to do the software, I don't have that kind of disposable cash right now. $125 is gonna be tough enough.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:

LOL, since everybody is so nice now...may be somebody can explain the difference between a 30 minutes DME reflash and a 4 day sending to NJ deal?

Really, why do you have to ship the damn thing to NJ??

Reflash is a reflash. You just install the latest version of the software to the engine computer. Every dealership should be able to handle it in house easily. Does not sound like rocket science. So...why sending to NJ??.

Please enlighten me!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 330i Performance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
LOL, since everybody is so nice now...may be somebody can explain the difference between a 30 minutes DME reflash and a 4 day sending to NJ deal?

Really, why do you have to ship the damn thing to NJ??

Reflash is a reflash. You just install the latest version of the software to the engine computer. Every dealership should be able to handle it in house easily. Does not sound like rocket science. So...why sending to NJ??.

Please enlighten me!
Hi Alex,

Not sure if this is true of the DME reflash in this specific instance or not, but I have heard (I think in Mike Millers columns) that there is a lot of proprietary information in what goes into that and much of it will have to be done at the dealerships or well equipped independent. This was a very general and broad statement that I remember.

However, I can only say my experience. I had the DME reflash along with a new DISA valve which didn't quite cure the problem. I had to have the unit sent to NJ to be fixed. Not sure if there is some secret sauce that they use on the DME in NJ or what, but it may be a case of HQ fixes it only, nobody else type of thing.

I doubt that BMW would pay to have the DME sent to NJ and have one of their techs do a reflash which could easily be done at the dealership level, so there may be something else that they must do to solve it.

Just thinking out loud.

Johnny
Imola Red 2004 330i ZHP, Sunroof, Cold Weather Pkg, Assist, Navi & Leather. Upgrades: Front & Side Clear Lens, Clutch Stop & CDV Delete. 10.2006-Differential Swap to 3.46! 12.2006 - UUC SSK, DSSR and Tranny Mounts (Red).
Old 01-03-2012, 06:56 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygraphic View Post
Hi Alex,

Just thinking out loud.

Johnny
Thanks, Johnny. Yeah, I do not have a ZHP, but my car used to stall every now and then and a DME and transmission reflash at an indy shop solved the problem. Must be different with 4k dip on zhps
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Must be different with 4k dip on zhps
Well, we're gonna find out. Looks like the indy is the only one that can do it same day

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Quote:
Well, we're gonna find out. Looks like the indy is the only one that can do it same day
Smolck, what do they say at that indy? Have they fixed that problem for people before with their reflash? It would not hurt to ask them what they think about the difference of their reflash and sending the unit to NJ.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:26 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Smolck, what do they say at that indy? Have they fixed that problem for people before with their reflash? It would not hurt to ask them what they think about the difference of their reflash and sending the unit to NJ.
My understanding is that nowadays the software is readily available. This indy was recommended to me by another ZHP owner who had it done there, so I guess we'll see.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
My understanding is that nowadays the software is readily available. This indy was recommended to me by another ZHP owner who had it done there, so I guess we'll see.
Be happy it only needs to go to NJ. My ZHP was delivered in March of 03. A few months later when I complained about the dip and the random stalling, they kept my car for several days, replicated the problem and shipped the DME to GERMANY for diagnosis/reflash.

Quote:
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Has he been happy so far?
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
I just wonder if the software is the same (and as good) as sending my DME to Jersey. That was my main concern. I KNOW it'll be right if it goes to the Jersey place. Any chance they'll give me a loaner for 4 days?

Oh, and thanks for all your help! I'll try not to be such a douche in the future.
It is the same. BMW hasn't written any new software for the zhp since 2005 or so. The contents of the flash will be the same whether it's flashed in house or in Jersey (or even Germany). In the past there were two reasons to do the flash off-site

1) the software was updated so often that there were often new updates in between progman DVD releases
2) in the beginning, there were some issues flashing the MS45 DMEs (would randomly fail for some reason). Said issues have since been dealt with.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-03-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Has he been happy so far?
I guess so. Happy enough to recommend them. If I didnt need a car I would go another route. We'll see though. My car has a PRONOUNCED 4k rpm dip, I'll notice immediately if it worked.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Just some clarification, the Engineering division of BMWNA is in NJ, down by Atlantic City International Airport. That's where almost all of the PUMA cases are handled as well. They probably don't trust the dealership not to mess it up so they send it over to the engineers and they flash/tune the system. It's not like they're sending it to a DEALERSHIP in NJ.

My wife's family lives down in that area, and I see them testing out cars on one of the less-used runways fairly often.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Just some clarification, the Engineering division of BMWNA is in NJ, down by Atlantic City International Airport. That's where almost all of the PUMA cases are handled as well. They probably don't trust the dealership not to mess it up so they send it over to the engineers and they flash/tune the system. It's not like they're sending it to a DEALERSHIP in NJ.

My wife's family lives down in that area, and I see them testing out cars on one of the less-used runways fairly often.
Yeah, I've seen all sorts of cars tested around there. Even saw an e60 535d a few years ago

In any case I would be very surprised if they still send zhp DMEs to NJ, it's simply unnecessary
Old 01-04-2012, 07:12 PM
is a Texan

Mein Auto: '04 530iA
I found something to keep you busy while you wait for the DME flash to get done, Shade

Source: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=894921

2004 325Ci - 5MT - SOLD & MISSED
2003 3.0 Z4 - 6MT - SOLD
1967 1602 - 4MT - STOLEN
2008 328XI - 6MT - EX STOLE
1995 325i - RUSTED AWAY
2009 135i - 6MT COPS IMPOUNDed
2004 530i - Auto...WTF?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci

Better get him 3 or 4 of those, knowing how impatient Smolckie gets...

2006 325Ci
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
I guess so. Happy enough to recommend them. If I didnt need a car I would go another route. We'll see though. My car has a PRONOUNCED 4k rpm dip, I'll notice immediately if it worked.
Same way for mine.... Had mine done this past year... and, yes, they had to send it to New Jersey.... It was around $500 total, at my dealership, and not covered by the CPO warranty... Had they had to replace a part, it would have been covered.. they consider the re-flash to be "an adjustment", which is BS, but there you go...

On the plus side, it fixed it, completely...

I hope your independent can do it.. but, if the dealer can't get the software update, what are the chances that an independent has it?
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)

Last edited by kyfdx; 01-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:23 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post
I hope your independent can do it.. but, if the dealer can't get the software update, what are the chances that an independent has it?
Pretty high actually. Dealers have restrictions that the Indy's don't have.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I'm really surprised at how many dealers still insist on jersey today. I had my own zhp reflashed 3 years ago by my local dealer (this was before I taught myself how to DIY it) - all I had to do was show the tech the problem during a ride (he couldn't trigger it himself), and then he said "I don't know if that's a DME issue, but it can't hurt to try"... 30 mins and $125 later, I got my car back with a newly programmed DME

Maybe theyre following the original TSB which says to send it in to Jersey. In my case no TSB was ever referenced

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.