Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I'm really surprised at how many dealers still insist on jersey today. I had my own zhp reflashed 3 years ago by my local dealer (this was before I taught myself how to DIY it) - all I had to do was show the tech the problem during a ride (he couldn't trigger it himself), and then he said "I don't know if that's a DME issue, but it can't hurt to try"... 30 mins and $125 later, I got my car back with a newly programmed DME

Maybe theyre following the original TSB which says to send it in to Jersey. In my case no TSB was ever referenced
Well, I'm taking mine in next Wednesday so I'll keep ya'll posted. Kinda weird, in the colder weather, the dip is a lot less noticeable but still there.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Reflash is a reflash. You just install the latest version of the software to the engine computer. Every dealership should be able to handle it in house easily. Does not sound like rocket science. So...why sending to NJ??.
They probably don't have WinKFP installed Even I can reflash, in my garage, using my laptop. Already did twice.

I can't stop to be surprised over and over again on how ignorant, useless and overpriced stealers are....

Last edited by Nervous; 01-05-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
They probably don't have WinKFP installed Even I can reflash, in my garage, using my laptop. Already did twice.

I can't stop to be surprised over and over again on how ignorant, useless and overpriced stealers are....
Dealerships would use Ista/P instead of WinKFP, but the underlying process is basically the same
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: '03 325iT, 03 330xi
It's policy, not capability or knowledge
Old 01-05-2012, 09:43 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Nick View Post
Your so called policy only makes sense to the customer if they are still under warranty and get a loaner car. Otherwise who needs a "service" like that?? Luckily customers have options and one of the purposes of this forum is to inform people of their options and not to get ripped off at dealerships. $500 and a week without a car? Really?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Nick View Post
Policy of that specific dealer, or all BMW dealers in general? My local dealer (and yes it is a proper BMW dealer) does it all in house. I don't understand how it's really beneficial to the customer to make them go without a car for 4+ days, pay more money, and end up with something that other dealers and shops could've done for $100 and half an hour. Heck - if it's policy to do DME flashes off-site, then why does the official software even have the capability to perform the update?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:29 AM
ZHP Caporegime

Mein Auto: ist Imolarot
Quote:
BMW hasn't written any new software for the zhp since 2005 or so.
just wondering after reading your comment... I've called my local dealer about getting my ZHP done and when they looked up my VIN they said there are no updates for my car. Mine was a 7/05 build and I never sent mine in to NJ, would they have programmed the DME with the newer info from the factory by that point?

2005 330Ci (ZHP) = Daily Driver 1969 2002 = Project Car
BMW Car Club of America # 427612

Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM
ROLL TIDE!

There are lots of corporate "policies" in the world that don't make sense, but they are policy nonetheless. Let's not flame Nick in my apology thread. He is just doing what he is told. My mortgage company charges me $30 to pay my bill online, I have complained like crazy about that and they always say "it's our policy". I can't be upset with the person on the phone, they are just doing what they are told.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-06-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
just wondering after reading your comment... I've called my local dealer about getting my ZHP done and when they looked up my VIN they said there are no updates for my car. Mine was a 7/05 build and I never sent mine in to NJ, would they have programmed the DME with the newer info from the factory by that point?
Very possible. I can check the date of the latest software for sure when I get home

Btw idk if it'd help anyone convince their dealer to update the software, but here's my invoice from a few years ago. I was wrong about the cost btw: it was $100 diagnosis + $50 programming.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-06-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:18 PM
ZHP Caporegime

Quote:
Very possible. I can check the date of the latest software for sure when I get home
cool, thank you!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
cool, thank you!
Latest software was compiled on July 19 2005, so it's kind of a crapshoot as to whether or not your car has the very latest update. Definitely possible

Code:
;==============================================================================
;Austausch-Datei Daten
;
;;ZL_System:        MDS450
;;ZL_Projekt:       M54
;;ZL_Referenz:      0044570LO00S0SJ2R
;
;Freigabe     B M W  A G  Muenchen
;
;;K_Stand:          18.07.2005
;;K_File-Name:      P7561521.0DA
;
;Fahrzeugidentifikation
;;K_F1: 
;;K_F2: 
;;K_F3: 
;;K_F4: 
;
;Applikation
;;KA_Bearbeiter:    Suedholt M.
;;KA_Abteilung      EA-32
;;KA_Telefon        
;;KA_Freigabedatum: 18.07.2005
;
;Konstruktion
;;KK_Bearbeiter:    Hess Daniel
;;KK_Abteilung      EA-41
;;KK_Telefon        382-29368
;;KK_Freigabedatum: 19-Jul-2005
;
;Verifikation
;;KV_Bearbeiter:    
;;KV_Abteilung:     EA-
;;KV_Telefon:       089/382-
;;KV_Freigabedatum: TT.MM.JJ
;
;Verwendung
;;K_V1: 
;;K_V2:
^ Comments in the beginning of the data file corresponding to the latest DME update

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-07-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
ZHP Caporegime

Quote:
Latest software was compiled on July 19 2005, so it's kind of a crapshoot as to whether or not your car has the very latest update. Definitely possible
Once again, thank you for the info. I guess it probably does have it already from Regensburg or maybe it was taken care of between production and before the car was originally sold in August '05.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Cool! So mine, even though it is not a ZHP, should have the latest firmware since it was built in Regensburg late Aug/2005 and sent over till Oct.

2006 325Ci
Old 01-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post
Cool! So mine, even though it is not a ZHP, should have the latest firmware since it was built in Regensburg late Aug/2005 and sent over till Oct.
Assuming Mexican cars and Euro cars get the same firmware, your car probably did *not* come with the very latest DME. The one specific to Euro 325s was compiled in November 2005. There's actually an MS43 file as recent as 2007, but I'm not sure which particular model that corresponds to
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Bummer. There is a small glimmer of hope, though: when the dealer was wrestling with my epic no-start issue, tech did say they reflashed the DME so I may have gotten lucky.

Maybe now that I was forced to upgrade to a latest gen MBP with a big HDD, I finally get around to setting up a proper BMW code & diag bench.

2006 325Ci
Old 01-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
My car was manufactured in 10/05, and put in service in 07/06.... and, still had the famous 4K RPM dip when I bought in 2010..... Re-flashing in NJ fixed it...
1987 325iS Bronzit (retired)
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
My sedan is a 01/05 production, I have a little dip, but I'm usually through it fast enough that it doesn't bug me much

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
My sedan is a 01/05 production, I have a little dip, but I'm usually through it fast enough that it doesn't bug me much

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer
Mine is so bad even when you get through it the car doesn't seem near as fast. It pulls to 4 grand HARD and then just gives up. The ONLY way to get around it is to hammer it in 1st gear. But if I go to 4000rpm at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it feels like someone is grabbing my back bumper and hanging on for dear life.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Coyote Racing Team

Mein Auto: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
If I go to 4000rpm at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it feels like someone is grabbing my back bumper and hanging on for dear life.
Does Marty McFly live near you?

Steeda Sport Springs / Roush Axle Back / MGW Shifter / BOSS Front & Rear Fascia / BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar /
BMR Relocaton Brackets / BMR Lower Control Arms / Staggered AMR Charcoal Rims / BAMA Tuned
Old 01-09-2012, 01:07 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kidd View Post
Does Marty McFly live near you?

We'll know Wednesday. Appointment made for reflash at indy.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

And once again we reach that point in time and space where the world awaits with bated breath for the next installment of the ZHPmolck saga....

If all goes well with the reflash, hope the $30 buck used tire can take the newfound vigor!

2006 325Ci

Last edited by jcourcoul; 01-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourcoul View Post

If all goes well with the reflash, hope the $30 buck used tire can take the newfound vigor!
Well, the good news is the car is getting another Michelin after I get it back. And a set of either Koni FSD's or maybe some Sach's/Boge. Dunno yet.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 AM
BMW driver/rider

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP/05 12GS
Quote:

Btw idk if it'd help anyone convince their dealer to update the software, but here's my invoice from a few years ago. I was wrong about the cost btw: it was $100 diagnosis + $50 programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Mine is so bad even when you get through it the car doesn't seem near as fast. It pulls to 4 grand HARD and then just gives up. The ONLY way to get around it is to hammer it in 1st gear. But if I go to 4000rpm at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, it feels like someone is grabbing my back bumper and hanging on for dear life.
I'm pretty sure you guys talking about two different issues/updates. I had the 2800-3000 rpm miss in higher gears that I'm guessing is what Terra had fixed with a dealer update. I tried the usual suspects first, Vanos rebuild, plugs, fuel filter but none of them made any difference. I had mine fixed at JB Eurotech in Minneapolis by having it updated to the latest software version. The 4000 rpm power dip is the one that BMW insists has to be done in Jersey. I still have that but not near as bad as Smolck's sounds like. Mine is just a slight hesitation passing through 4000. And like you noticed Smolck, it's much better at colder temps. The other day it was upper 30's temps and I couldn't even feel it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and your indy is able to fix it Smolck. Looking forward to hearing your outcome. Also, it has been 2 1/2 years since Terra had his done and people have learned alot about using the software so hopefully it's possible for anyone to do it now.

Barry
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Professional Amateur

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI ZHP
In April of 2006 BMW issued recall No. 06E-A01, the DME would not register a valvetronic position control fault code. The recall covered a wide range of vehicles, including the ZHP. The remedy was to reprogram the DME with the latest version of the software. I just found my paperwork, South Bay BMW in Torrance, CA did the reprograming at the dealership. The update consequently resolved the the 4K dip.

You may want to check to see if your vehicle ever had this recall addressed, you may be able to get the reprogramming done for free. I'm not sure how long BMW is required to honor the recall campaigns.

Here is a link to a google doc that summaries all the 2006 Emissions Related Recalls from the EPA https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...F420b07003.pdf Check out the bottom of page 1.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaico View Post
I'm pretty sure you guys talking about two different issues/updates. I had the 2800-3000 rpm miss in higher gears that I'm guessing is what Terra had fixed with a dealer update. I tried the usual suspects first, Vanos rebuild, plugs, fuel filter but none of them made any difference. I had mine fixed at JB Eurotech in Minneapolis by having it updated to the latest software version. The 4000 rpm power dip is the one that BMW insists has to be done in Jersey. I still have that but not near as bad as Smolck's sounds like. Mine is just a slight hesitation passing through 4000. And like you noticed Smolck, it's much better at colder temps. The other day it was upper 30's temps and I couldn't even feel it.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and your indy is able to fix it Smolck. Looking forward to hearing your outcome. Also, it has been 2 1/2 years since Terra had his done and people have learned alot about using the software so hopefully it's possible for anyone to do it now.

Barry
Two separate issues, but there's only one update. The DME updates rewrite everything on the flash; they can't pick an choose which issues to fix.

I had the 4K issue too, but it wasn't severe; the 2800RPM issue was much more annoying in my case. The DME update completely cleared the 2800rpm issue and largely reduced the 4K dip. Every m52tu and m54 will exhibit the 4k dip to some extent though; that's when the disa kicks in. Something about earlier zhp softwares made the drop more noticeable

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.