Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 323i 5-Spd
Actually had to do it more than once to be honest. 2 vapor barriers, couple things breaking last minute on a Friday and have time to work on it that weekend, etc. But I always order enough stuff to make the extra $6 charge worth it.

If you're on Facebook, look up DC Metro BMW Enthusiasts. Not sure what age group you're in, but its like 18 to mid 30's, people who just randomly get together and hang out. They're really chill and always setting up cruises. Just like BMWCCA but free lol.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S/ 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
Old 03-16-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
Again, for small urgent purchases tischer makes sense, since you live in Silver Spring. My local dealer in Ellicott City - Russel BMW - works for me very well for these cases.
But it makes no sense to justify extra $6. Unfortunately, it is way more than that. Add 6% MD sales tax, plus, I don't want to disappoint you, but prices at getbmwparts.com in general are noticeably higher than at thebmwpartstore.com or bmwmercedesparts.com (and other online vendors). Just FYI.
Thanks for the facebook info, I'll check it out.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 04 330 zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Even post DME Update I get some intermittent hesitation still, it started up when the weather got above 70 degrees.

I removed and inspected my DISA, it felt good, everything is tight and the flap has good pressure on it, but just for kicks I had my buddy order me a new DISA. It cleaned things up significantly. I would say try it and see.
Just an FYI - this thread got derailed with a parts supplier discussion but just wanted to update on solution to my issue. It was a bad pre-cat o2 sensor, not disa valve. Surprised about the difference in performance - car pulls MUCH harder through 2,800-4000 rpm, much quicker to get up into higher revs which translates into more speeding!

Other added benefit is my MPG seems to have improved. I didn't get through a full tank yet but I got 150 miles out of the first quarter tank, which I've never gotten better than 125-130 with more highway miles.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:53 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF330 View Post
Just an FYI - this thread got derailed with a parts supplier discussion but just wanted to update on solution to my issue. It was a bad pre-cat o2 sensor, not disa valve. Surprised about the difference in performance - car pulls MUCH harder through 2,800-4000 rpm, much quicker to get up into higher revs which translates into more speeding!

Other added benefit is my MPG seems to have improved. I didn't get through a full tank yet but I got 150 miles out of the first quarter tank, which I've never gotten better than 125-130 with more highway miles.
I appreciate the bump. I know I am WAY overdue for new sensors so it is worth a shot. I hope my car responds as well as yours did.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
For the sake of learning something new, what is the DME? And why does it need to be "flashed"? This just garage speak for updating software in the car's computer? This is why I hate newer cars... damn computers.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:38 AM

yep - DME is the engine management software. Notorious for issues in the zhp-optioned e46's.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I appreciate the bump. I know I am WAY overdue for new sensors so it is worth a shot. I hope my car responds as well as yours did.
Not sure if you have the same symptoms, but I also would get the CEL after driving it a little hard. Would only stay on a day or two though, but the codes were still stored from the multiple occurrences.

The biggest difference is the jump it has now - it surges to 4K in no time now.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci ZHP, '01 325Ci
I get the stumble at 2.8K, and the dip again at 4K in the '04 ZHP. Can anyone recommend a good indy shop in the Westchester, NY/Fairfield, CT area for the DME reflash?

Last edited by mx9k; 05-02-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Grammar, clarity
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx9k View Post
I get the stumble at 2.8K, and the dip again at 4K in the '04 ZHP. Can anyone recommend a good indy shop in the Westchester, NY/Fairfield, CT area for the DME reflash?
Try bimrs.org or bimmershops.com

Last edited by SJBimmer; 05-03-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci ZHP, '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Try bimrs.org or bimmershops.com
Thanks. I found a Euro specialty shop locally who says that they can do it for 2 hours of labor. Anyone who has had this done think that this is fair?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx9k View Post
Thanks. I found a Euro specialty shop locally who says that they can do it for 2 hours of labor. Anyone who has had this done think that this is fair?
I paid $125. 2 hours seems high. I'd personally recommend you do the german auto specialties DISA rebuild kit BEFORE you do the flash. I had the flash, dip was still there. The DISA kit is only $80, and most people who do the repair say it helps tremendously.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....