Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
Various recent issues - can they be related?

I've had a few recent issues with my '05 that I'm starting to think may be related. I could use some advice from the experts here.

About 2 weeks ago the car gave a low coolant warning. I had just replaced the water pump a few weeks prior so I though maybe I just didn't bleed the air out completely. I topped it off and monitored it for the next few days and it seems to be fine but can't be positive it isn't dropping slowly (need to monitor more).

Then just the other day I get an oil pressure low warning so I immediately pull over and check the oil level. A little low but nothing too concerning. Engine sounds find and the error clears itself after a few seconds. I am able to start the car an drive it a couple miles back home. I get the oil pressure warning a few more times but only while idle at stop light. When driving under acceleration, the error goes away. I check the oil pressure switch and it is leaking oil so I replace it. The vacuum pump was seeping oil a bit too so I replaced that O-ring as well (I had replaced that a few years ago with the kit from BMP but the O-ring was completely crushed -- this time I went OEM).

After that repair I run the car at idle for a bit to make sure the oil pressure warning is gone. Everything checked fine so I go to add about a half quart of oil to top it off and I notice that smoke comes out of the oil fill hole. I do an internet search and find the CCV value might be the cause so I check the CCV's and they are good (I had replaced them a few years ago). I also read that it could be more serious issue like head gasket.

So I am looking for advice on where to go next. Is it possible that coolant is leaking into the oil? Could this be from bad coolant pipe or intake manifold? Could the valve stem seals cause this? Car is a 2005 with about 77k on the clock. I don't think I have any leaks. Pans are clean and dry. Still have original value stems and coolant pipe.

Last edited by dvanlare; 10-20-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 AM

Guys, Coolant does seem to be going down slowly, so it is definitely leaking somewhere. Oil from the dipstick still looks clear -- no signs of milkshake appearance that people claim comes with head gasket failure -- but it might be too early to tell. At startup I do get moisture coming out of the left side tail pipe that stops once engine is warm. It leaves enough to have an 8 or 10 inch ring of wet concrete before it stops (in Phoenix this dries up in a few minutes). Is this normal? Fog is still coming from oil fill cap after running engine for a few minutes so it seems that coolant must be getting here. A have attached a video of what that looks like. Is there any chance this is caused by something other that a failed head gasket? I just don't see any discussion here about failed head gaskets so it doesn't seem that common. I guess I should get a compression test done to see what might be going on. Any other thoughts?

Video of fog coming from oil fill cap:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:57 PM

Ok, so I took the car to my independent shop today to have it checked out. The plan was to pressure test the coolant system and then do a leak down test. During the coolant system pressure check they found a small leak coming from the valley pan. They said it took 90 minutes under pressure for it to show up. I asked if this was the coolant pipe and they said, no, the coolant pipe was good and it was just a slight seep from the valley pan. Based on this they talked me out of the leak down test (and saved me a chuck of cash).

I haven't heard of people replacing just the valley pan. If I go in their does it make sense to replace the coolant pipe at the same time? I also asked about the fog coming from the oil fill cap and they said they see that sometimes and consider it normal? This still seems odd to me, so I might send an oil sample out for analysis. I feel like I am doing my own blog here since no one else is responding. Any other thoughts on this?

BTW, I highly recommend Babbitt Motor Werks in Tempe if anyone needs independent service done in the Phoenix area. They wouldn't let me pay anything for the service today since the coolant diagnostic is a free service.

Last edited by dvanlare; 10-24-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
That is too much steam coming out of the crank case. I have seen a little steam when I'm adding oil but not like what's in your video. Sorry I can't offer you any more advice since I have not experienced this problem myself.

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 10-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Yes, I think it is too much as well. I pulled a sample of the oil and will send it to Blackstone for testing. $25 seems like a reasonable price for the test. I am going to change the oil today since it needs it anyway and will see if that stops the fog for now. I'll probably start collecting parts to get ready to pull the intake manifold and do some more exploratory on the valley pan.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Ok, I got the oil report back from Blackstone. They didn't find any evidence of liquid or coolant in the oil. The coolant level has been steady for the past 2 weeks so I think I am fine for now. Oil pressure warning also seems to be fixed with pressure sensor. Oil report attached for those that are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 745LI-102314.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	475333