Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nothing
I am in the car on phone had to update

Way more power!!! Oem
Old 01-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Car is even running cooler
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Great stuff, I was hoping BMW used a number of suppliers for "OEM" parts, like two or more sensors from different manufacturers that are approved for use and have the same part number. (That's what my company does if a supplier has problems delivering or quality/manufacturing issues)

Glad it's improved things for you and it wasn't me going mad!

Can you confirm you had NO camshaft or VANOS codes before fitting new sensors?

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 01-09-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

I have had absolutely NO DME errors what so ever. No check engine light nothing. The new sensors are OEM, but BMA Auto gets them direct from the manufacturer so they scratch off the BMW logo. My original sensors had the date on them that matched my cars manufacturing date, so they were original. The new ones are also slightly different. The sensor part is bigger. I just got back and the car runs great. It's quieter, no more detonation when gunning it, no more rattling sound when I have my window down and hear the car echoing off others, and much more power just barely hitting throttle.. feels like the car is much lighter.. Still haven't had a spot where I could drop the pedal and run it out, but I can clearly tell a difference. I got back in my car while on the phone and when I turned onto the road and hit the gas I was instantly reminded of the power increase. I am excited to gun it and see how big of a difference it really made.. Very happy with your findings.. These sensors are $115 new but BMA gets the OEM ones from the manufacturer direct for like $33 each, so with orings I paid $140 even!.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745li
again i have read the post but still a bit hazy, can someone post up some pictures please on these sensors and where they are located.

Thanks,

Ray
Old 01-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Hi Ray,

I kind of hijacked the original thread! Apologies!

To recap, the thread started with drivability issues, hesitation sluggish acceleration etc... No DME codes a number of engine sensors and part replaced all the common stuff basically.

It was found originally that replacing all four VANOS adjustment units on the front of each camshaft fixed the problem and the car was like new.

At 200 a pop it's not a cheap fix! I questioned the reason for these failing and found that the N62 design we have is completely different to the historic and well known issues with seals on the M52TU and M54 engines.

Surely any fault here would be picked up as the camshaft control is closed loop.

Cut a long story short I inspected the camshaft sensors, found dirty fouled connectors and sensors. Cleaned, refitted and a very noticeable improvement to the point where I am convinced all engine issues have been resolved.

Cmpcpro has replaced all four sensors (located at the back of the cylinder head covers) and has confirmed what I have experienced when cleaning mine, I'm off to buy new ones ASAP!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 01-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpcpro View Post
I have had absolutely NO DME errors what so ever. No check engine light nothing. The new sensors are OEM, but BMA Auto gets them direct from the manufacturer so they scratch off the BMW logo. My original sensors had the date on them that matched my cars manufacturing date, so they were original. The new ones are also slightly different. The sensor part is bigger. I just got back and the car runs great. It's quieter, no more detonation when gunning it, no more rattling sound when I have my window down and hear the car echoing off others, and much more power just barely hitting throttle.. feels like the car is much lighter.. Still haven't had a spot where I could drop the pedal and run it out, but I can clearly tell a difference. I got back in my car while on the phone and when I turned onto the road and hit the gas I was instantly reminded of the power increase. I am excited to gun it and see how big of a difference it really made.. Very happy with your findings.. These sensors are $115 new but BMA gets the OEM ones from the manufacturer direct for like $33 each, so with orings I paid $140 even!.
That's great, yeah I had like a misfire at idle and a loud engine noise like a humming or exhaust blowing noise under load.

The loss of power and sluggish response was by far the most annoying!

My sensors are originals too, been in there 10 years! They have SWS in a diamond logo on the side. $33 each! Ship me some over! Lol!

Glad you have had positive results too, it's annoying that the DME does not realise something's up and let you know!

Stuart
Old 01-09-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
That's great, yeah I had like a misfire at idle and a loud engine noise like a humming or exhaust blowing noise under load.

My sensors are originals too, been in there 10 years! They have SWS in a diamond logo on the side. $33 each! Ship me some over! Lol!

Glad you have had positive results too, it's annoying that the DME does not realise something's up and let you know!

Stuart
Yeah, not sure why the DME wouldn't say anything.. at the very least I would think the car would sense a power loss, or the trans.. I wouldn't see it being too hard to have BMW incorporate some system that senses the engine not running correctly, or power loss. Even if they go by the way the trans is shifting to tell..

I am wondering if the VANOS still needs to be re-done? The guy posted above that if I pay the $500 they will take care of the labor, but are you thinking just these sensors are the answer? Think we would benefit from the vanos rebuild? Also, now I am wondering if there are any other sensors that would be a good idea to replace.. what else does this engine use that will affect power? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
That's great! Thats exactly the result I had after cleaning and swapping the snesors, light throttle produced much more torque and power. They have slowly been getting worse and things getting sluggish again. Oil is back in the connector, it appears to be seeping through the sensor itself! Will get a new set on order soon!

To be honest I would use original o-rings if they are still rubber-like and not completely hard.

I would recommend clearing adaptations in the DME and EGS using INPA, that should make the DME and EGS adapt together and make the most of the new sensors.

Did you use genuine OEM sensors from the dealer? Did the sensors have any manufacturers names on?

Cheers!
Hey Stuart, I would like to clear the adaptations like you said.. I did the trans before, but I don't know where to find the DME adaptations.. I am sure I could find them, but would rather not poke around if I don't have to. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Hi all. I am enjoying this thread and finding it very informative. So thank you all. I just finished major work with the engine and fired it up three days ago. Cleaned all sensors including four CPS and cleared all faults. Just went for a drive and revved the engine to 4200 rpm. So far:

- No transmission kick
- Engine response improved significantly
- The V8 sound is significantly noticeable

I had couple of problems with the start up which ended up to be, not installing the solenoids correctly. However my mechanic friend, chased the problem first, by checking the CPS and he mentioned they play significant a role.

I was wondering would the oil sensor of the oil sump could play a role as well, since four CPS and oil sensor in the sump send signals to ECU (I guess that is ECU) at the start up of the engine?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 PM

Cmpcpro, the DME reset adaptations feature is in INPA under one of the menus. I did mess around with my daten files to address a different issue with another module and have ended up with an older version for the DME that is very basic and the adaptation reset is not there. Have a look its quite obvious if you have it.

Other sensors I would change would be the crank sensor, pre cat lambda/oxygen sensors and possibly the MAF, providing you have no other vacuum leaks that should ensure the mixture is spot on. Obviously check you injectors are clean and fuel pressure and flow rate within spec.

I don't think oil level sensor will have an effect, the sensor is pretty clever it communicates with the DME on a Bit Serial Interface it can detect oil quality as well as level so the DME can decide when the oil needs changing.

These are great results so far, VANOS units could be worn and have a slower response time, the DME will just keep applying oil pressure until the desired camshaft position is reached. In theory new sensors and VANOS adjusters (providing solenoids are good) will make the camshaft control "like new" it will be interesting I see the results of swapping those out too!

Stuart
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Cmpcpro, the DME reset adaptations feature is in INPA under one of the menus. I did mess around with my daten files to address a different issue with another module and have ended up with an older version for the DME that is very basic and the adaptation reset is not there. Have a look its quite obvious if you have it.

Other sensors I would change would be the crank sensor, pre cat lambda/oxygen sensors and possibly the MAF, providing you have no other vacuum leaks that should ensure the mixture is spot on. Obviously check you injectors are clean and fuel pressure and flow rate within spec.

I don't think oil level sensor will have an effect, the sensor is pretty clever it communicates with the DME on a Bit Serial Interface it can detect oil quality as well as level so the DME can decide when the oil needs changing.

These are great results so far, VANOS units could be worn and have a slower response time, the DME will just keep applying oil pressure until the desired camshaft position is reached. In theory new sensors and VANOS adjusters (providing solenoids are good) will make the camshaft control "like new" it will be interesting I see the results of swapping those out too!

Stuart
I checked my INPA tonight and couldn't find it anywhere.. I when to Engine ME9 for N62 and in functional jobs.. trans under activate is reset but not on engine.. Looked all over.. not sure what ver. my INPA is though.. I bought my cable from the UK ebay guy and it came with all the software on a couple discs..

I will change the crank sensor and o2s, my MAF looks brand new, but does that really mean anything? I have been running only Chevron fuel, I've only had the car a few months but I've run 3 bottles of the Techron cleaner, not one after the other, but weeks apart from each other.. I probably won't put anymore in for a while.. only other way to check injectors would be to remove and inspect correct?

Where are the solenoids for the VANOS? Are those the two canister looking things on the valve covers? I am still not super familiar with this motor.. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Picture is explanatory for the location of solenoids. There four in total, two on each bank on the right and left upper timing cases.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	235.png
Views:	227
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	356925  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqe23 View Post
Picture is explanatory for the location of solenoids. There four in total, two on each bank on the right and left upper timing cases.
Ah yes, thanks I know exactly where those are, infact I was wondering if those were the sensors when I first saw the motor.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: e65 745i
Quote:

Stuart
i want some to at that price
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM

same here can you provide the part no ? site information
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i Sport
This is a great read. What I'm curious about - is this a problem only on the 745's or is this problem on 750's as well?

I have an 07 750i w/ 61K on the odometer and was wondering what kind of maintenance I should be looking into . I don't necessarily feel any sluggish acceleration, but at times it's a bit jumpy in the tranny...seems like it's racing to get to the higher gears from the start.

Has anyone posted the part numbers for this sensor?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Yes the 750 will be affected too. I wouldn't expect issues with these sensors at 60K but anything is possible I suppose!

Cmpcpro, how many miles do you have on yours? I'm on 105K now and symptoms first started at 93-95K. After issues with the trans I thought it was the torque converter causing the sluggish and poor performance, it drives like a pig sometimes!

I will have a look on another version of INPA and see if I can see the adaptation reset option an note down what daten file version it is.

A local parts place is selling sensors for 44 each, apparently from a BMW OEM supplier, will go and check them out tomorrow. Can't wait to fit a set of new ones!

Stuart
Old 01-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Cool thanks! My car just turned 132k yesterday.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 PM

I found these pictures, is this what we talking about right ?

iClick image for larger version

Name:	5A5F7CF.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	356976

Click image for larger version

Name:	684E6E1.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	356977
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybmray View Post
I found these pictures, is this what we talking about right ?

iAttachment 356976

Attachment 356977
No if you go to my thread below called Cooling System and look at the last few posts I posted, I posted a link to the thread that shows all the pics of it and explains it all.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 PM

thx cmpcpro

seen a few of these on eba*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CRANK-CA...7acc07&vxp=mtr

some range from 10 to 140. Obviously would go with the best OEM version.

Last edited by skybmray; 01-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybmray View Post
thx cmpcpro

seen a few of these on eba*

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CRANK-CA...7acc07&vxp=mtr

some range from 10 to 140. Obviously would go with the best OEM version.
Link wont work for me, but at $33 bucks plus tax for OEM, you can't go wrong..
Old 01-10-2013, 04:03 PM

true what site is that BMA ?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
not a bad find actually