Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 04-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Sport 5 speed
Need some Advice on ECU Tuning vs Stand alone

Ordering all the goodies after i build my cage this week.

Have everything figured out minus how i will tune the beast.

I want the ability to run two maps

one for Ethanol and one for pump gas with low boost.

Trying to find the most economical route...

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2002 BMW X5 3.0l 5 Speed Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11150435_915042627021_616499700252417107_n.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	503059  
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW E34 525i
I think if you want to go with two maps the only way to go is standalone. First of all, ease of use will be major when switching maps. I don't even know if that's possible with a flashed ECU (however, I wouldn't be surprised if you said it was). The other thing is adjusting tunes if you find something in them could be improved. Stand-alone's will have much more tune-ability than any reflash ever will. This means more performance, reliability, gas mileage, etc. The next thing is the price and what you're willing to do. If you feel confident that you can assemble circuit boards and such, then a MS2 kit will be your choice at $280, remember it's a full standalone. This link has the kit, but the website has assembled units for about $500

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-119.html

To add to your information, I believe a reflash costs about $500 (I could be way off, don't quote me.) Why would you want less function for the same or more money?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:28 AM

This is my first BMW, most ECU's in this day and age can have chips added with a external USB so that you can reflash your ECU so that you have the drivability of your stock system but with the added bonus of being able to tune for boost or spray. Seems like from all the reading this is not the case, i could be wrong still. also, for low horse power many Stock ecu's can have a external piggy back unit that interrupts the signal to the injectors and coils so that you can tune for boost or spray, most of these units sell for under 400 dollars. i did want to keep the stock ECU and add a piggy back or have someone add a chip so that i can tune the stock map. still doing research and emailing different companies. It doesnt seem like many people mess with the E53 much which makes me sad hahaha

money isnt the issue, its the ease and drivability factor.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Yeah, most companies don't touch BMW's. Like I said, a standalone will have more drivability mostly in the fact that it has more tuning resolution, leading to more precise tunes. The only reason piggyback's and re-flashes exist is because they are cheaper than standalone's. That said, you want ease of use and as you probably know the only milestone is that you do need to wire the harness up or get it wired up. If you're worried about this, it's just like a big headunit harness. Some swear by soldering some swear by crimping, solder it if you solder well and properly (strip wires, twist, clean, apply flux, tin, clean, apply flux, solder, clean, insulate). Crimp if you either can't solder or don't solder well, it's the easy way out and (in some people's opinion) just as reliable. Either way, use good equipment.

After that mini-rant, what kind of boost are you using? S/C or T/C? Your X5 intrests me. Come out to the west coast and dune it some time.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Yeah, most companies don't touch BMW's. Like I said, a standalone will have more drivability mostly in the fact that it has more tuning resolution, leading to more precise tunes. The only reason piggyback's and re-flashes exist is because they are cheaper than standalone's. That said, you want ease of use and as you probably know the only milestone is that you do need to wire the harness up or get it wired up. If you're worried about this, it's just like a big headunit harness. Some swear by soldering some swear by crimping, solder it if you solder well and properly (strip wires, twist, clean, apply flux, tin, clean, apply flux, solder, clean, insulate). Crimp if you either can't solder or don't solder well, it's the easy way out and (in some people's opinion) just as reliable. Either way, use good equipment.

After that mini-rant, what kind of boost are you using? S/C or T/C? Your X5 intrests me. Come out to the west coast and dune it some time.
Standalones can have better drivability, but using the stock ecu for day to day driving will always better better unless you have 30 years of tuning experience. before and during college i worked at a shop building tube cars and tuning 1500 horse plus cars, i was more or less trying to figureout what options i have for running software on the turbo setup
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Smuggled into the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
Standalones can have better drivability, but using the stock ecu for day to day driving will always better better unless you have 30 years of tuning experience. before and during college i worked at a shop building tube cars and tuning 1500 horse plus cars, i was more or less trying to figureout what options i have for running software on the turbo setup
Ok, I help all ranges of people usually with ECU questions and wanted to make sure you knew what you were doing. Well, I sound like a broken record, but Megasquirt kits are the only way you'll get to standalone performance with a sub-$500 budget. I guess I forgot to mention, if you want to go for gold, Haltech is the very best, IMO.