Brake Light and DIY - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-11-2017, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Bmw 528i
Brake Light and DIY

First my question is.... Is it possible to get my brakes and Rotors and master cylinder and how my brake fluid is doing for free or cheap? Second question is based on I need to change brake front, back or both idk right now, what do I need to know? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bimmerfest mobile app
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Free? No such thing as free. Cheap? Do it yourself. It's not rocket science. All you need is some basic Metric wrenches, Allen keys or sockets screwdrivers, etc.

Do a search for 'e39 brake diy' either on here or Google. You'll find plenty of results.

When you do anything in the wheel area, you tackle jobs by the axle front or rear. brakes, suspension, tires, etc.

And you may only need to do just brake pads, rotors should last 2,3 brake pad changes.

Is there a reason you want to tackle the brakes? Are they worn out?

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 740iS, 2003 540iS
Sometimes the Auto Club (if you're a member) offers free safety inspections that would cover pads & rotors for all 4 wheels. Not sure if they check brake fluid or not.
If you're getting a brake like warning, usually that indicates your brake pad(s) are running out of material & need to be replaced. It won't tell you which pads are wearing out though.

My vote is to take your car to an indy & pay to have your brakes inspected. It shouldn't cost that much & your brakes are just too important to not have in good mechanical shape.

2000 740iS. MKIV, 16x9, DDEs controlled by Euro fog light switch, reversed steptronic +/- pattern, paddle shifters, clear corners, Basslink, iPod video with stereo audio, TV tuner, gauge rings, ///M pedals, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, quad brake lights, Dinan engine & tranny software, windows/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540iS. MKIV, 16x9, PDC, CWP, TV tuner, backup camera with 'on demand' switch, paddle shifters, windows/sunroof close via remote, iPod video & audio.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM

I have the brake light on on my 00 528i and I hear very loud squealing or screeching noise when braking, but yea I need to have them. Check because idk how long I have left until the just don't work

Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM

And also I don't know the last time my front or rear axle has been worked on because I only had the car a year

Old 06-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
There is a brake pad sensor on the, I think, left front and right rear wheel. Is a wire to one has snapped you get the "check brake linings" in the cluster.
You can check the pads just by taking the wheels off and look how much is left on the pads.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Yea man, just take a look. Jack up the car and take a peak and no more guess work.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM
Nothing to read here...

Mein Auto: 2001 525i 5 spd
Just to add but it sounds like you've never worked on a car.

I recommend you get a mechanically inclined family member, friend or neighbor to help you out or take it to a shop.

**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search