Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-29-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: lots of cars
Arrow Tell me about the ABS Module

My 1999 528it has a rebuilt module in it already and seems to be dysfunctional, It was in there when I bought it.
I see new ones for sale in the $400 range and to have mine rebuilt in the $150 or less range,
Sometimes I read that I will need to bring the car to the shop to program the new one and other times I read that its plug and play,
Mine shows the code for front left sensor faulty, Mostly at start up,
Sometimes the ABS/ASC light comes on after a few feet or a few minutes of driving, When light is NOT on all works as it should in my slippery driveway,
I replaced the front left sensor with OEM part and no change,
INDY shop says just because it shows front left wheel does NOT mean that the ABS Module is NOT at fault,
SO I am trying to save a bit as I just has to put a clutch in the car,, The O2 sensor just went bad and I would like the ABS/ASC system to function properly,
IF I send mine in, Can I drive the car with no Module in the car?
WIll it need to go to shop to get programmed?
Have I other options like a reasonably priced NEW unit?
OR anyone here have a good used one for me?
Thank you
Peter B
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530I/5SC 97-528/5
Quote:
Mine shows the code for front left sensor faulty, Mostly at start up,
Sometimes the ABS/ASC light comes on after a few feet or a few minutes of driving, When light is NOT on all works as it should in my slippery driveway,
I replaced the front left sensor with OEM part and no change.
Sometime it's not the sensor but the rings (teeth like) from the wheel bearing. Try to clean the ring and see what happen.

Quote:
IF I send mine in, Can I drive the car with no Module in the car?
Yes for manual gear box but I would not drive it if I have an auto, the shift will feel funky.

Quote:
Will it need to go to shop to get programmed?
No.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
A rebuilt of your abs module does not require. Coding

However it is likely the module cannot be rebuilt again. A new module will require recoding
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: lots of cars
From more reading I am finding that no-one wants to rebuild a rebuilt module and the $400+ price is really too much for me right now,
Is there another way?
The ABS/ASC is important to work for me as I am using this wagon for my 300+ mile drive once a week, and its an advantage in my mind.
Looks like Ill have to sell my god or something,
Is there a place where they are LESS THAN $400 smackers?
Peter