Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 AM
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null

Mein Auto: 12- 2002 530i Auto,
CEL, P0505. 2003 530i sans ABS module.

Alright guys, I know this is an IAC valve code. Which I'm guessing is that much talked about DISA thing.. But, I am currently driving with out my ABS module in the car.. Is there any chance this code is just related to that? Like the car doesn't know its moving so it doesn't know what it should be doing with the idle control valve?.. Or do I also have a DISA issue along with my trifecta and broken headlamp adjusters.?

R.I.P. Otto, 04/17/97 - 02/02/15 You'll be missed my drunken Bavarian friend.

"Owning one of these cars is much like owning a two year old child. It's annoying most of the time, but if anyone tries to take it from you'll kill them." J. Clarkson.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2015, 05:56 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This is already in the canonical trifecta thread, and it might not be related, since you have a P505 ... but, it may be worth noting that we have gotten the P0500 when the ABS control module is removed, but I haven't (anecdotally) ever heard of the P0505 being caused by the lack of the abs control module in place...
- Why a bogus P0500 failed a perfectly good inspection after removing my ABS control module (1)

Quote:
BTW, while your ABS control module is out of the car (about 5 days), the following anomalies may occur:
- Brake/DSC/ABS trifecta solid yellow lights (on the instrument cluster)
- Service Engine Soon (SES) solid yellow light lit (on the instrument cluster)
- No ABS (upon hard braking under low-traction conditions)
- No traction control (DSC or ASC on lateral action)
- No speedometer (use a portable GPS navigation unit if you're worried about that)
- No odometer (again, use a portable GPS unit if this bothers you)
- No tripmeter (use a portable GPS unit if it's a worry to you)
- No cruise control
- OBDII diagnostic trouble code DTC P0500, i.e., bad speed sensor (clear by driving or with an OBDII scanner)
- No possibility of passing (California at least) smog inspections (until you replace the ABS control module & clear the DTC)
- No speed-sensitive automatic door locks (if enabled at the stealer)
- No GPS (if you have navigation)
- No mileage calculations on the instrument cluster
- No fuel consumption calculations on the instrument cluster
- No range indications on the instrument cluster
- No speed-sensitive radio (if equipped)
- No speed-sensitive wipers (if equipped)
- Erratic fuel gauge (especially when near empty, so keep the tank at greater than 3/4 at all times)
- Erratic transmission shifting (if automatic; if it bothers you, switch to manual shifting)

Last edited by bluebee; 02-18-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 AM
Otto Zwei-Punkt-Null

Mein Auto: 12- 2002 530i Auto,
Alright, Thanks Blue. I'm going to chalk it up to the ABS being out for now.. I don't know BBA Reman's turn around time so I may just garage the car, suck it up and drive the Corolla, especially if it snows again I want my dsc for that.

R.I.P. Otto, 04/17/97 - 02/02/15 You'll be missed my drunken Bavarian friend.

"Owning one of these cars is much like owning a two year old child. It's annoying most of the time, but if anyone tries to take it from you'll kill them." J. Clarkson.