Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microflight View Post
how does the code P0500 translate to English.
It's in the picture below from my bogus smog failure from the referenced thread.
- P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 E46
Trifecta - Brake Pressure Sensor 81 error code - not Sensor but Module

2003 E 39 After a previous post I made starting with an 81 error code which would have been the brake pressure sensor, I back probed the sensor and saw that it was giving credible values. I then concluded ( guessed) that it was the module.

A BMW tech friend identified a rebuilder that he used and liked - Module Master in of all places Moscow Idaho (actually near Spokane Washington) phone 888-892-0764 and on the web.

They quoted 300 for the Bosch 5.7 module. Their terms are 5 day turn. If the Module has no error on the inbound check, there is only the shipping charge. If the module is unrepairable, for $75 additional they will send you a good unit - remembering that you will have to reprogram the VIN into it so there would be that additional charge when you got it back. Module Master provides a 5 year warranty.

I sent the module, they repaired and returned it to me. I installed it and the ABS, DSC and Brake warning lights went out on start - normal. One day later aver a number of short trips the service engine soon light also went out. NERVANA

The report from Module Master is as follows: "Repaired damage to power return circuit and 8 line sensor driver section to restore proper module operation. Installed high current shunt to protect power return circuit from future failure. Unit now powers up and executes self test and functions perfectly on test fixture without any error codes."

I conclude that this module was unerdesigned and while surviving for a number of years was bound to fail. Given the number of failures and the common knowledge among the Indy's I know that they immediately are aware and have experienced the problem with the module

As for error codes, one has to be careful in assessing a fault code that is based upon a network communication like the ABS module. I am certain from the DME and ABS module prospective, the error is that it is not receiving the communication from the Brake Pressur Sensor, but once you verify the brake pressure sensor is sending signal, the culprit are the wires or the module as was the case here in the module.

While I could have opened the module and attempted the repair, I sense that it would be sublect to failure again without the shunt. $300 is a lot - peace of mind is priceless
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
81 error code ... I back probed the sensor and saw that it was giving credible values
The anecdotal evidence is overwhelming that the 81 code is bogus (most of the time). In fact, I can't remember a single incidence of the 81 being real (but I am no expert and not everyone is on the forums). Point is that the 81 error code 'should' be further tested before believing it.

Quote:
A BMW tech friend identified a rebuilder that he used and liked
See also:
- What are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1)

Quote:
As for error codes, one has to be careful in assessing a fault code that is based upon a network communication like the ABS module.
Bill (540iman) would be proud of you! You're one of the few who realize the inability to get isolation readings without actually isolating the components under test.
- Explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Quote:
I sent the module, they repaired and returned it to me.
Thanks for the update. I will append it to the canonical ABS trifecta thread:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bps.png
Views:	1465
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	366974  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW_30-PAGE_DSC_COMPONENTS.PDF (1.69 MB, 75 views)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.

Last edited by bluebee; 03-18-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM

See also this thread today, by Poolman, which discusses how to properly REMOVE the brake pressure sensor:
- Brake pressure sensor
Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 PM

This post by poolman in a thread today shows why we can't trust the mechanics when they tell us the Brake Pressure Sensor is bad, simply because they're sometimes reading what the broken computer is telling the diagnostic port:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > ABS sensor
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
My indy told me all of my sensors were OK and that my problem was brake pressure issues,,which became the rebuild of my ABS unit
Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 5301
e39 error 105?

My ABS/DSC warning lights came on, had the code read and replaced the right front wheel sensor. While I was at it I replaced the front brake pads. Drove the car and the waring lights came back on...the original code for the wheel sensor now is clear...and I have the brake presure error code 105..so now I'm not sure if the original problem was real and could use some advice...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeysatx View Post
My ABS/DSC warning lights came on, had the code read and replaced the right front wheel sensor. While I was at it I replaced the front brake pads. Drove the car and the waring lights came back on...the original code for the wheel sensor now is clear...and I have the brake presure error code 105..so now I'm not sure if the original problem was real and could use some advice...
Other than the cooling system, and FSU, the trifecta is probably the next-most common problem on the E39.

In almost all of the trifecta/bifecta threads, the problem was either one of the sensors or the ABS control module.

So, the team here developed a test of the wheel speed sensors, and it's all documented in this huge thread. Just sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and read it and you'll solve your problem.

NOBODY to my knowledge has not solved this problem (well, there was the one guy who just wanted the error to go away so he could sell the car to some unsuspecting sap, and he wasn't able to do that without actually fixing the car - which he complained about - so he didn't) but everyone else has solved the problem with the information in this one thread....

- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
It's in the picture below from my bogus smog failure from the referenced thread.
- P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
The failure is for the MIL or Check Engine light. If you reset the check engine light or MIL prior to taking the car in for testing and didn't have enough drive cycles (150 plus miles, plus several start and stop cycles) you fail the test. This is to prevent people from resetting the CEL or MIL about a block away from the testing site to extinguish the lights.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
The failure is for the MIL or Check Engine light. If you reset the check engine light or MIL prior to taking the car in for testing and didn't have enough drive cycles (150 plus miles, plus several start and stop cycles) you fail the test. This is to prevent people from resetting the CEL or MIL about a block away from the testing site to extinguish the lights.
What happened, to me, was that I failed inspection due to this bogus P0500 which did NOT set the check engine light.

The bogus P0500 occurred because the ABS control module was removed for repair (I'm assuming that's what caused the P0500 since that's when it happened and it never happened again, and I didn't change anything in the interim).

The problem was that it did NOT set a fault, but, it set a PENDING fault, which caused me to fail inspection (it takes three pending faults to set the CEL).

So, my warning to others, is to check your monitors with a scanner BEFORE going for smog inspection after having removed the ABS control module.

See also:
- What's this about the P0500 setting the SES (1) & why you want to wait a week before getting a smog test after removing your ABS control module (1)
Old 05-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
ABS fault will not set off a CEL or MIL fault. It will set of the ABS light or brake light. Why should they even be concern with an ABS fault since it is not smog related. I can see if you were in a European country or England where cars are brought in for a MOT.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
ABS fault will not set off a CEL or MIL fault. It will set of the ABS light or brake light. Why should they even be concern with an ABS fault since it is not smog related. I can see if you were in a European country or England where cars are brought in for a MOT.
I fully understand what you're saying, and, don't disagree that the ABS won't, in and of itself, set the CEL, but, a P0500 will set the CEL, if the pending code is seen on three successive FTC drive cycles.

However, when I inquired at the time why I was being failed for a seemingly non-emission-related pending fault code, I was told that MANY things affect emissions, including the AC, evap leaks, and, yes, speed sensors.

Now, you and I know this P0500 was a bogus pending code, and, since I hadn't checked for pending codes before paying for my smog check, I was plumb out of luck (i.e., completely out of luck).

I did call the smog check referee at the time, but, he told me the same thing.

Anyway, the fact is clear that I failed due to a pending P0500, and, that I passed without changing anything, two weeks later, simply by driving the vehicle.

Last edited by bluebee; 05-12-2014 at 02:21 PM.