Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:38 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Calling All Transmission Experts :)

Hi
Recently I've been seeing some odd things with my tranny and I thought I'd ask here..

Observations:
Slipped a few times when accelerating during low speed (overtaking a cyclist for example) but stays in D.
Slipped out of D into P on one occasion from stationary when accelerating (turning at a junction).

These have only happened infrequently thus far with no dash errors, but while I was in a car park the other day I decided to straighten my car up between the parking bay lines and it did the following:

Started the car and put it in R, using only the foot brake reversed the car about 20ft.
Put the car in D and again using only the brake, moved forward slowly and observed an unpleasant clanking noise and loss of motion..Applied brake and an error appeared on the dash advising of a transmission error. Released brake and continued as normal and parked.

The error cleared only after allowing the car to enter it's sleep mode and I was unable to reproduce the error on the drive home later that day and haven't driven the car since.

The code reported was 4E89 (Solenoid 1 or 2 mechanically jammed)

The mechatronics was serviced by BMW 6 years ago (at 75,000 miles) and the following was replaced:
Drain Plug
Pan Gasket
Seal Sleeve
Adapter Grommet

It would appear the fluid was re-used (as I only have a 35 minute labour fee for ATF).

The original problem that time was the car was unable to access D or R..

Since that time, the car has only driven about 20,000 miles.

Does anyone think it's worth replacing the seals/fluid or is this more an issue with the solenoid(s) now.

Since the dash code, I have decided not to drive the car until I can get it up on the ramp and review the tranny model/serial etc in order to purchase the correct parts..
(even though realoem lists it as a GA6HP26Z Mechatronics)

I have seen metal pans with removable filters online, has anyone tried those?

Oh and can INPA offer any information about the solenoids and maybe used to determine if any are rogue?

Regards
Mr_B
Old 08-23-2016, 06:36 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 05' 760li,94' H1,08'Smart
Mr B,
Glad to see you still have the 760. Sorry you're having trouble with the transmission. It looks like you've had transmission service correctly last time. Minus the fact they may have put the old fluid back in. However it has been six years. It probably would not be a bad idea to do it again. As far as the metal pan is concerned, from everything I've read here, it doesn't seem to be that beneficial. If the Germans thought it would be beneficial they would have engineered it into the car originally. But with BMW that's not always the case, sometimes they cut corners.

Since you're receiving the code for the solenoid most likely that's the culprit. I'm going to attach a few links that explain the transmission.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1460520414

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...7&d=1291335701

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...6&d=1460520414

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=654634

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=797772

You've been a member of the forum a long time, I'm sure you've seen these documents before.
Hope there some help to you. They were for me.

Cheers
Rick.
P.S have you seen this list I'm trying to get together. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=925639 Please add your info. Thanks
Old 08-23-2016, 01:49 PM
2007 760Li User

Hi
Thanks for the links, yes I've become a bit of an authority on the workings of the tranny, but we'll see how that translates to the service

My thinking here is, if it's not the usual solenoids, seals or fluid, then someone else can look at it further without wasting my $$ on the aforementioned items..

If the valve body is shagged (which I would find hard to believe) then so be it..

Chances are, the BMW dealer that repaired the mechatronics last time probably did a half arsed job (especially as every other repair they did was a joke) so the fact it was serviced 20K ago probably means nada..

Regards
Mr_B
Old 08-23-2016, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 750l
Every 6-8 years you should change the bridge adapter, mechatronic seal, filter, and as much fluid as you drain out in the process (6-8 quarts). These parts don't age well and absolutely need to be replaced.

Only takes 2-3 hours and a few hundred bucks and you should be good to go again.

Don't waste your money on uber expensive BMW fluid, Redline D6 ATF exceeds specs, mixes fine with the old stuff, is much better and way cheaper.

Last edited by Ltmax; 08-23-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:47 AM
2007 760Li User

Ah, is D6 the latest buzz around here for the ZF then. Last I read it was Ford Mercon SP...

As for the job itself, is there any point getting Rheingold as I only have INPA after I lost a HDD a year back which had my Rheingold s/w on it (and I've never found a suitable source to re-download it )

Cheers

Mr_B
Old 08-24-2016, 04:55 AM

The Ford fluid may be compatible but isn't very good and doesn't stand up to the heat well so you won't be able to run it for extended intervals. If you plan on changing it every 30k miles it's fine.

Redline was started by drag racers who needed to find fluids that would stand up to the extreme heat and pressure of racing when nothing else on the market did. Everything they use is super high quality and much better than OE stuff.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:26 AM
2007 760Li User

Thanks for that

I will add it to the list of bits for the service..

Mr_B
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM
Finally got a 7 Series!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Black/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltmax View Post
Every 6-8 years you should change the bridge adapter, mechatronic seal, filter, and as much fluid as you drain out in the process (6-8 quarts). These parts don't age well and absolutely need to be replaced.

Only takes 2-3 hours and a few hundred bucks and you should be good to go again.

Don't waste your money on uber expensive BMW fluid, Redline D6 ATF exceeds specs, mixes fine with the old stuff, is much better and way cheaper.
That Redline does not show E65/E66 as compatible.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
I'd stick to the 'Meyle ATF plus 6 Oil' if i were you .....

Old 08-25-2016, 12:51 PM

D4 and D6 are both compatible.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search