Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
When are you buying yours?

BJ
They would have to offer something BMW doesn't. Maybe an ATS-V w/ V8, good manual, and fix the CUE. Styling would be tough to fix. But even then at $60k I'd pass.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
They would have to offer something BMW doesn't. Maybe an ATS-V w/ V8, good manual, and fix the CUE. Styling would be tough to fix. But even then at $60k I'd pass.
You're driving a 9 year old car with a street value of $4,500 that cost you $349 a month during the time you've owned it. Aren't cars like the F30 and ATS a wee bit out of your price range?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
For me the ATS 3.6 has done everything right as far as chassis, sound and fun factor, CUE is the last thing on my mind, I can drive one without CUE.

It is the style, more specifically too much chrome, and the lack of a more sporty looking trim like the 3 series m-sport, that will be the deal killer.

Even the C Class has a more aggressive sport trim apart from the base trim.

Last edited by dtc100; 12-12-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
For me the ATS 3.6 has done everything right as far as chassis, sound and fun factor, CUE is the last thing on my mind, I can drive one without CUE.

It is the style, more specifically too much chrome, and the lack of a more sporty looking trim like the 3 series m-sport, that will be the deal killer.

The only problem is you will have the 2.5L or 2.0L Base Car. Cue is standard all the way up from there.

So when did you drive one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...item19d74a158a

Tell me those guages are not ugly.

Brand New Car, and the black plastic looks flithy.

Last edited by Buildbright; 12-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buildbright View Post
The only problem is you will have the 2.5L or 2.0L Base Car. Cue is standard all the way up from there.

So when did you drive one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...item19d74a158a

Tell me those guages are not ugly.

Brand New Car, and the black plastic looks flithy.
When I drove the 3.6, CUE was not on my mind and still is not. Next year with more software updates it should work well, then CUE might surprise the reviewers. But still for me CUE will not make or break the deal.

The interior styling is also less important for me, the red seats more than made up for some less than ideal dash design items.

But the exterior chrome is a deal killer. As I said they need a special sport package that offers lowered body, even if just slightly, and body kit to set it apart from the other trims.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
When I drove the 3.6, CUE was not on my mind and still is not. Next year with more software updates it should work well, then CUE might surprise the reviewers. But still for me CUE will not make or break the deal.

The interior styling is also less important for me, the red seats more than made up for some less than ideal dash design items.

But the exterior chrome is a deal killer. As I said they need a special sport package that offers lowered body, even if just slightly, and body kit to set it apart from the other trims.
Well if you drove it and have no problem with all the issues then it should be a good car for you. You can wrap all the Chrome because Caddilac will never make a car without Chrome.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
You can wrap all the Chrome because Caddilac will never make a car without Chrome.
Cadillac could never have built the ATS either. I am not holding my breath of course.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You're driving a 9 year old car with a street value of $4,500 that cost you $349 a month during the time you've owned it. Aren't cars like the F30 and ATS a wee bit out of your price range?

BJ
No, unlike you, I buy cars that I like to drive, not just which ones has a shinier badge. I know that's hard for you to understand.

But yeah, a $60k ATS or F30 is not how I like to spend my money, I'd much rather get a P-car, or just invest it.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:

I think CUE is standard, no? Yes, they did a decent job compared to the F30, but how about compared to an E90 335i? That car has better steering, better 6 speed, better sounding engine, suspension maybe not quite as good but that's a tough sell for me vs a low mileage E90.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: f30 318d
Quote:
No, unlike you, I buy cars that I like to drive, not just which ones has a shinier badge. I know that's hard for you to understand.

But yeah, a $60k ATS or F30 is not how I like to spend my money, I'd much rather get a P-car, or just invest it.
Pardon the interruption. Whats a P-car?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:

Don't bother explaining that to some people on this forum.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
You can wrap all the Chrome because Caddilac will never make a car without Chrome.
The CTS-V is de-chromed. The ATS-V probably will too.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
Sorry, a Porsche. I tend to desire cars based on excitement, which is why $60k for a compact luxury sedan is a tough sell.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Anti-Cadillac I guess you would call me a heretic because I told you the world was round..lol

How many Cadillac’s have you owned? How about people you are close to? Have you driven the ATS?

Well I have owned three (CTS, Escalade, and DTS). My Dad has owned two (Escalade, and the New XTS). I have driven the ATS twice for a three days or longer. I like Cadillac’s hence why I have owned three.

On the 3.6 subject, I know one of car that the dealer replaced two brand new 3.6l engines. GM last year did a Massive Recall of the 3.6L V6 Engine. Granted all cars and engines have problems but your acclaim for a motor and car that you have only read about is misguided.

I think the ATS is a good car but I have driven it and am very familiar with the "wonderful Cue system". Just because I state the flaws with the car doesn't mean I hate Cadillac. I believe in being honest not sugar coating the world.
You like to use strong words which make your posts overly dramatic. And I drove a 2006 CTS as a company car for 3 years. It had the 255 HP version of the 3.6 and was a flawless engine IMO. It was smooth as silk, powerful and in my case, completely reliable.

There are engine recalls all the time. If you've been here long enough you will know about the massive problems with the high pressure fuel pump on the BMW N54 engine as well as injector and wastegate issues on the same. Not to mention valvetrain noise on the N52.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry, a Porsche. I tend to desire cars based on excitement, which is why $60k for a compact luxury sedan is a tough sell.
I'd love to own a Cayman but for some of us with 2 cars that both need to haul a 2 year old and luggage, a luxury sport sedan is the correct choice when excitement is part of the equation.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: N55 X5, G37, 13 N55 Mspt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
Strange, I am starting to see the trend here. If money were not an issue you would rather get a Porsche? However an ATS or 3er can be had for half that, given you prefer the driving dynamics of a car I would imagine a stripper 3er or ATS should do. You can then invest the rest. Win win
Old 12-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I'd love to own a Cayman but for some of us with 2 cars that both need to haul a 2 year old and luggage, a luxury sport sedan is the correct choice when excitement is part of the equation.
Yeah, that's true, I'm in the same boat. It's only that since my ZHP is still a blast to drive, and has enough room to haul our kid, I haven't bothered upgrading.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g37to335i View Post
Strange, I am starting to see the trend here. If money were not an issue you would rather get a Porsche? However an ATS or 3er can be had for half that, given you prefer the driving dynamics of a car I would imagine a stripper 3er or ATS should do. You can then invest the rest. Win win
Something like that - if I were driving a Corolla, I'd get an F30 and be thrilled. But I'm already driving a really fun car so there's no urge to spend big bucks to get an F30 or ATS.

If I were going to yank $50k from TD Ameritrade to buy a car, it needs to be a car that gives me wood every time I drive it, and that would have to be a slightly used 997 C2S or something.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Should not have to move up to the V to have it. Am I correct GM is more inclined to let the aftermarket vendors do such mods?

BMW has over time made it more difficult for the aftermarket shops, the engine and exhaust tuning for examples, and offers more performance parts itself.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Something like that - if I were driving a Corolla, I'd get an F30 and be thrilled. But I'm already driving a really fun car so there's no urge to spend big bucks to get an F30 or ATS.

If I were going to yank $50k from TD Ameritrade to buy a car, it needs to be a car that gives me wood every time I drive it, and that would have to be a slightly used 997 C2S or something.
How about giving the Subaru brz a try? There is a short window of opportunity when the kids have out grown child seats but still willing to crawl in and out of small backseats.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Should not have to move up to the V to have it. Am I correct GM is more inclined to let the aftermarket vendors do such mods?

BMW has over time made it more difficult for the aftermarket shops, the engine and exhaust tuning for examples, and offers more performance parts itself.
No, GM is denying claims under warranty for aftermarket performance mods.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
How about giving the Subaru brz a try? There is a short window of opportunity when the kids have out grown child seats but still willing to crawl in and out of small backseats.
Very cool car, but my son is 1 1/2 so not in that window yet.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:

CTS V has chrome and polished aluminum everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You like to use strong words which make your posts overly dramatic. And I drove a 2006 CTS as a company car for 3 years. It had the 255 HP version of the 3.6 and was a flawless engine IMO. It was smooth as silk, powerful and in my case, completely reliable.

There are engine recalls all the time. If you've been here long enough you will know about the massive problems with the high pressure fuel pump on the BMW N54 engine as well as injector and wastegate issues on the same. Not to mention valvetrain noise on the N52.
I am sorry if my enhanced vocabulary offends you. This is just the way I express myself it was not intended to insult you.

The 2004-2007 CTS 3.6l (LY7) is a different engine than the 2013 ATS 3.6l (LFX). Also I stated in my post above a lot of engines have recalls, so that point is redundant and moot. I hope the brand new CTS you drove was reliable but I bet you weren’t racing it around either. I know about the N54 and N52 both of which do not come in the F30 BMWs.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I am sorry if my enhanced vocabulary offends you. This is just the way I express myself it was not intended to insult you.

The 2004-2007 CTS 3.6l (LY7) is a different engine than the 2013 ATS 3.6l (LFX). Also I stated in my post above a lot of engines have recalls, so that point is redundant and moot. I hope the brand new CTS you drove was reliable but I bet you weren’t racing it around either. I know about the N54 and N52 both of which do not come in the F30 BMWs.
There is a general point that we have both made that engine recalls are common. And the N55 is not that different from the N54. There have been some cases of HPFP issues in the N55.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'll have to take your word for it. Black Diamond Edition then?