Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
In my opinion the ATS was a very good move for Cadillac and from what I have read it appears to be a very good car. Not best in class but nevertheless a very good car.

Will it change Cadillacs image overnight? Highly unlikely, that will take time but I think it was a very smart move on the part of Cadillac and GM. It took BMW a generation to establish itself in the luxury market and it was only recently that the large BMWs surpassed the large Cadillacs in sales. At least someone at Cadillac was smart enough to realize they were headed in the wrong direction and do something to change it.

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
A better chassis is the right move, but to change its image, they need to really literally make some real changes to the look of the Caddies. ATS did some exterior changes but I don't think they are enough.

I don't mind they keep their design language, it sets the ATS apart from others in the segment, but they need to match the 3 series, provide more options and trims to attract European buyers. The traditional massive chrome finishing, both exterior and interior, can turn many European buyers off.
I agree, Cadillac has yet to achieve the feel that the European models it is attempting to compete with have.

To me the XTS sales demonstrate the enormous hill Cadillac has to climb with respect to its "natural" market. Despite virtually no advertising the XTS has sold roughly 2,500 each month in November, October, and September.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I agree, Cadillac has yet to achieve the feel that the European models it is attempting to compete with have.

To me the XTS sales demonstrate the enormous hill Cadillac has to climb with respect to its "natural" market. Despite virtually no advertising the XTS has sold roughly 2,500 each month in November, October, and September.
The XTS is the car the traditional Caddy buyer of the past 25 years expects. It's a great replacement for the DTS/Deville and the previous STS/Seville before the change to RWD.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 12-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
This, I was unaware of. That is a real eye opener. It makes sense. I've only seen one XTS ad and that really wasn't about the car as much as it was new tech goods GM is offering. The vibrating seat, CUE. The ATS "should" be doing better with all those ads. Here in the Hampton Roads area I see one blue XTS on my commute from work almost daily. I have seen I think 3 or 4 total.
I have yet to see an ATS on the road even on the few trips I've taken to neighboring states.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: F30 '13 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
When we travel between NYC and Palm Beach we travel by air so I don't know how many BMWs are on I 95. BMWs and Mercedes are both relatively common in both NYC and South Florida. I have seen very few F30s but that is probably because even though they are selling well they haven't been around very long so there are still not that many of them on the road compared to the E9x which sold well for years. I suspect that by early summer F30s will become a relatively common site in areas like the Northeast corridor and South Florida where BMWs are relatively common.
Up until two weeks ago I had seen three F30's all either black or white. In the last two weeks I have seen six, including two Mineral Grey and today I believe I saw a Mojave, although it went by fast so I am not 100% sure. I think you are right that by the summer they will be a common sight.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
It is too early to say about ATS sales. I think the next few monthly sales reports will give people a better idea.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
It is too early to say about ATS sales. I think the next few monthly sales reports will give people a better idea.
I agree. It will take until at least the summer. January car sales are terrible. No one wants to car shop right after Christmas or in the dead of winter. And February sales aren't much better.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
Quote:
Despite what folks in affluent, major metropolitan areas may perceive, the reality is 3ers, and Bimmers, are relatively rare in the general automotive population. The fact of the matter is BMW has about 2.5% of the U.S. market share.

btw - the 3er was the 28th best selling model in the U.S. in November. The only European luxury model in the top 30. It sold 10,776 units, a 42.4% increase year over year increase; 87,887 ytd, up 6.4% year over year. The Merc C Class has sold 73,941 ytd, up 20.1% year over year. The Audi A4/A5 has sold 47,742 ytd. The ATS has sold 4,029 ytd. When did it officially go on sale?
Interesting sales stats for the US market. You should travel to Vancouver, where BMW has long enjoyed successful sales. I'm not sure of the exact % here, but I would guess BMW has at least 5% of the market; it is the most popular luxury car in Canada !

Vancouver's love affair for European cars goes back to the early 1950s, when in 1952, the Austin A40 outsold Chevrolet to become the No.1 seller ! As for the current popular sellers, the new 3er is doing very well, but I have yet to see an ATS on the road.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.

Last edited by DerekS; 12-24-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Not true, it had already exceeded Lexus IS sales. Of course that is not saying much. They need to be in the 5k or above range to be a serious contender.
Not at the absolute bottom, but at the bottom (low tier) nonetheless. IS is the oldest platform and the end of its cycle.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
Indeed!
Once you've established yourself in a particular way, it relatively stays that way for years.
People expect that plush, pillowy, floating on a cloud type of ride in a Caddy. All this sportiness
is nonsense in their eyes.
That's old fashioned thinking. The CTS has been out for over 10 years, has been a major success and is not your fathers floating Cadillac.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
That's old fashioned thinking. The CTS has been out for over 10 years, has been a major success and is not your fathers floating Cadillac.
Tell that to the fathers of the world then, because sales
do not reflect that. It's old fashion thinking, but its an "old fashion" brand.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Tell that to the fathers of the world then, because sales
do not reflect that. It's old fashion thinking, but its an "old fashion" brand.
Well you are wrong. CTS sales are down this year as its the end of the current model. They sold 55,000 in 2011 and over 45k in 2010 and over 43,000 through November this year. So not down that much.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Propellers Up Front

Sweet! I hope the ATS is that successful along with Gen III CTS!
Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Sweet! I hope the ATS is that successful along with Gen III CTS!
I could care less.

We drive BMW's here. I'm sure Kia makes a swell car. Don't need to talk about that over here either.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I could care less.

We drive BMW's here. I'm sure Kia makes a swell car. Don't need to talk about that over here either.

BJ
Seasons' Greetings BJ.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Seasons' Greetings BJ.
Same to you. We got snow up here; white Christmas, not bad.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 12-25-2012, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 333xi
I used to have a SLS, and CTS, and coming from someone who actually loved those cars, I will say that they both together couldn't shine my 2013 335xi's shoes...so please everyone stop with the non-sense talk...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonE621 View Post
I used to have a SLS, and CTS, and coming from someone who actually loved those cars, I will say that they both together couldn't shine my 2013 335xi's shoes...so please everyone stop with the non-sense talk...
Neither is. Direct competitor to the 3 series. The STS of course was much more luxury than sport and the CTS is closer in size to a 5 series. The ATS on the other hand is a direct competitor to the 3 series and is easily in the same room if not competing to sit in the same chair.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:52 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Every time someone posts in this thread a Cadillac marketeer gets a bonus.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMonE621 View Post
Have you driven an ATS yet? Curious what your take would be vis a vis the 335...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
They need to change their old fashioned styling then.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Have you driven an ATS yet? Curious what your take would be vis a vis the 335...
We had a driving event not too long ago, and I had a chance to get some seat time in an ATS. You can feel that. The car has sporty aspirations, but I can't say it's got the poise. Gearbox is very sloppy, and body roll is felt a little in the corners.
Quote:
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
They need to change their old fashioned styling then.
I don't find the Cadillac style old fashioned. Certainly BMW's current style is far from avant garde.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 PM

http://www.autonet.ca/auto-news/tag/...ithm-liftfoot/

Last edited by dtc100; 12-25-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Re-Badged

Quote:
I don't find the Cadillac style old fashioned. Certainly BMW's current style is far from avant garde.
Need more in your faceness.
Quote:
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Something is wrong with the mobile app, so again from the above link:

"When driven in 'Sport' suspension mode, the ATS uses PAL to determine the vehicle