Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
read somewhere they think the ATS-V will get the V8, not turbo V6. That would be pretty awesome.
It's up in the air right now.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
It's up in the air right now.
The CTS-V is supercharged, right? Why not just use a normally aspirated V8 in the ATS-V, and supercharged in CTS-V, so they don't step on any toes.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The CTS-V is supercharged, right? Why not just use a normally aspirated V8 in the ATS-V, and supercharged in CTS-V, so they don't step on any toes.
Since the next M3 (well M4) will probably go Turbo 6 and the rest of the competition seems to be downsizing, GM probably will do the same.

I'd prefer the V8, but I have a bad feeling they will put in a Turbo 6.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:45 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
Since the next M3 (well M4) will probably go Turbo 6 and the rest of the competition seems to be downsizing, GM probably will do the same.

I'd prefer the V8, but I have a bad feeling they will put in a Turbo 6.
Edmunds is reporting that some Caddy people claim the chassis will fit the ole V8. The only reason to go with a supercharged V6 would be cafe. That said, as you know the vette's V8 when done with good gearing can get some nice MPGs. Add start stop, even taller gearing and they might eek out a bit more. Hopefully they won't do the V6. The ATS-V with V8 would be a widely more interesting car than the M3 with a 6.

Last edited by brkf; 02-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
http://www.examiner.com/automotive-i...-sedans-review

The above link seems to provide some factory specs not seen before, most notable are 0-60 at 4.7s and 13.0s quarter mile for the 3.6L ATS, also a curb weight of 3,399 lbs. Don't know the source of the data yet.

Last edited by dtc100; 03-16-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
http://www.examiner.com/automotive-i...-sedans-review

The above link seems to provide some factory specs not seen before, most notable are 0-60 at 4.7s and 13.0s quarter mile for the 3.6L ATS, also a curb weight of 3,399 lbs. Don't know the source of the data yet.
It's not clear which version of the ATS weighs 3399 pounds. I'm guessing the base version.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's not clear which version of the ATS weighs 3399 pounds. I'm guessing the base version.
The article was comparing 2012 335i to 2013 3.6 V6 ATS. Also GM did say all their ATSs will come under 3400. But 3399 is just a bit wild.

Last edited by dtc100; 03-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
ill believe all this stuff when i see it...

weight, acceleration times, steering feel, price...when i see it...

looking forward to the first instrument test
Old 03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
The article was comparing 2012 335i to 2013 3.6 V6 ATS. Also GM did say all their ATSs will come under 3400. But 3399 is just a bit wild.
Ideally that's the model with the biggest engine. 3400 lbs otherwise is just porky.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Ideally that's the model with the biggest engine. 3400 lbs otherwise is just porky.
I know you'd like a V8 at 3400.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I know you'd like a V8 at 3400.
Depends on the weight distribution but yeah...I'd pay attention.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
The 991 is the only car on the market with enviable weight. 3000 pounds and 350 HP. Plain Carrera.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM

A bit more details leaked by GM, although I read more than one occasion the ATS will be delayed to fall release:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ails.html#more
Old 04-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
A bit more details leaked by GM, although I read more than one occasion the ATS will be delayed to fall release:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ails.html#more
Interesting. I find it a little hard to believe Cadillac is bringing their specifically designed 3 Series fighter to market with some significant short comings from the get go. Of course, if, as was posted here, they used the E46 as their benchmark, I guess it's not surprising. I still find it virtually unbelievable that they chose a benchmark that is now two generations old.

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-22-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
So, the Cadillac ATS is taking aim at the BMW 3 series. Someone please tell Cadillac to take a number and stand in the back of the line.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
So, the Cadillac ATS is taking aim at the BMW 3 series. Someone please tell Cadillac to take a number and stand in the back of the line.
I think the ATS stands a chance to be in the front of the line quickly, it depends on how seriously they fine tune it to be a driver's car.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
I saw the ATS at the New York Auto Show last week. It looks fantastic from the outside, but the inside is cheaply built. The whole center console reeks of plastic and cheapness and the backseat is tight (just as tight IMO as the tiny Lexus IS)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Quote:
I think the ATS stands a chance to be in the front of the line quickly, it depends on how seriously they fine tune it to be a driver's car.
Assuming they are putting the itme and resources into making this car a true competitor for the BMW, I think they can be successful.

The ideology of buyers and the connotation of the Cadillac badge will hurt them and it is a stigma they have to deal with, but if GM is deciding turning over a new leaf and making a car for people who really want to drive the vehicle in a way that is engaging, then the ATS can probably have a chance.

I am worried that they will fall victim to one of the following:

1. the company will not be willing to allow the production costs to be as high as it will need to be to produce a vehicle that truly competes with the 3 series

2. the designers will be influenced so much by the traditional features of Cadillacs that the car will be more of a glorified Buick or American Lexus than the BMW competitor it claims to be.

3. the entire thing is a sham and it will just be another plasticky, noisy, overpriced, overglitzed car that can't go around corners and only sells to people whose sense of patriotism trumps value for money.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Assuming they are putting the itme and resources into making this car a true competitor for the BMW, I think they can be successful.

The ideology of buyers and the connotation of the Cadillac badge will hurt them and it is a stigma they have to deal with, but if GM is deciding turning over a new leaf and making a car for people who really want to drive the vehicle in a way that is engaging, then the ATS can probably have a chance.

I am worried that they will fall victim to one of the following:

1. the company will not be willing to allow the production costs to be as high as it will need to be to produce a vehicle that truly competes with the 3 series

2. the designers will be influenced so much by the traditional features of Cadillacs that the car will be more of a glorified Buick or American Lexus than the BMW competitor it claims to be.

3. the entire thing is a sham and it will just be another plasticky, noisy, overpriced, overglitzed car that can't go around corners and only sells to people whose sense of patriotism trumps value for money.
Yep.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I saw the ATS at the New York Auto Show last week. It looks fantastic from the outside, but the inside is cheaply built. The whole center console reeks of plastic and cheapness and the backseat is tight (just as tight IMO as the tiny Lexus IS)
I agree. The interior is typical overdone GM. And, too, about the back seat. I have a friend who has an IS and I hate sitting back there. Cramped, no legroom and I'm 5'8". The CTS is just the same. With its wide C pillars and low seat cushion it feels like you're sitting in a dark hole.

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-20-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Just found this:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...e-details.html

But apparently someone else had already found it earlier and psoted it.

Last edited by jtuds; 04-20-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Repost. This is the story that started the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Just found this:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...e-details.html

As GM prepares to launch its Cadillac ATS this summer more information is beginning to leak out, including standard features and what trims will have an available manual transmission.

Starting with the engine lineup, we now have more accurate power figures. The 2.5-liter four-cylinder will produce 202 horsepower and 190 pounds-feet of torque; the turbo 2.0-liter four-cylinder will produce 272 hp and 260 pounds-feet of torque and the 3.6-liter V-6 will produce 321 hp and 274 pounds-feet of torque. Those figures are a bit higher than the estimates Cadillac gave us at the 2012 Detroit auto show.

All three engines can run on regular gas, though Cadillac recommends premium with the turbo. While the original Cadillac release stated that all-wheel drive would be an option for all engines, it turns out it won't be for the base 2.5-liter powertrain. All motors come standard with a six-speed automatic transmission, with a six-speed manual transmission optional on the turbo 2.0-liter four cylinder with rear-wheel drive only, according to GM. The 3.6-liter engine will be E85-compatible.

The 2013 Cadillac ATS will be available in Standard, Luxury, Performance and Premium trims. The 2.5-liter is only available on Standard and Luxury trims; the 2.0-liter turbo four is available in in all trim packages. The 3.6-liter V-6 is available in Luxury, Performance and Premium trims.

Standard, Luxury and Performance models come with a FE2 sport suspension setup, while Premium rear-wheel-drive models have an available FE3 sport suspension, performance cooling system, limited slip differential and magnetic ride control with real-time damping. Brembo-brand performance brakes are an option across the board.

Base ATS models come standard with 17-inch wheels, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, an air filtration system, Bluetooth streaming audio, ambient interior lighting, OnStar with a one-year Directions and Connections subscription, perimeter security system, halogen headlamps with flash-to-pass, push-button start and dual-zone automatic climate control.

The Luxury Package adds a chrome grille, front parking sensor, a passive keyless-entry system, split-folding rear seat, leather upholstery, Brembo brakes, 10-way power driver's seat, heated side mirrors with auto-dimming driver's side mirror, auto-dimming rearview mirror, backup camera, and a 8-inch center console touch-screen with Cadillac's CUE multimedia system.

The Performance Package brings high-intensity-discharge headlamps with articulating lenses, LED headlight accent lighting, performance bucket seats, steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters (with an automatic transmission), 10-speaker Bose surround sound system, rain-sensing wipers, rear passenger side-impact airbags, rear parking sonar, forward collision alert system and a lane departure warning system.

Lastly, the Premium Package includes 18-inch alloy wheels, a color head-up display and a navigation system.

We'll have more information on the ATS, including pricing and gas mileage, closer to the model's on-sale date.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
It looks like the ATS options packages are not much different than BMW's lines. If you want a LSD you have to get the Premium Trim package. Same for magnetic shocks and the FE3 suspension. It's unknown if items like HID's will be options on lower model cars.

However id the Performance model with the 2.0l turbo is affordable this could be a great choice for my next car if I can no longer budget for a 3 series.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It looks like the ATS options packages are not much different than BMW's lines. If you want a LSD you have to get the Premium Trim package. Same for magnetic shocks and the FE3 suspension. It's unknown if items like HID's will be options on lower model cars.

However id the Performance model with the 2.0l turbo is affordable this could be a great choice for my next car if I can no longer budget for a 3 series.
I agree they need to undercut BMW's price.

A lot of the above negative comments were made by those who had not paid much attention to GM's latest models.

I was very skeptical until I was forced to drive a high mileage compact car for commute. The Chevy Cruze Eco MT turned out to be the best of the bunch, fun to drive, very tossable and the solid build quality feels like it is a much more expensive car than it is.

The CTS has also been a solid performer. But the ATS will face more difficult tests.

BTW, I was puzzled by the ATS' trims, the Premium trim has all the performance options, the Performance trim shares most options with the base model.

Here is a more complete trim/options link:

http://www.lotpro.com/cars/2013/cadillac/ats/features/

Last edited by dtc100; 04-20-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Auto
I don't care for the look of the ATS as it just looks too much like the CTS. I also fear that somehow GM will screw it up. I test drove the Buick Regal GS and it was a nice car with, at least for me, a major flaw. Every time I shifted into an even gear (pulling back) my elbow would bump into the center armrest. How do you design a car like that?