Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Question variable Sport steering

What does everyone think of the "Variable Sport Steering" option...or at least the concept of it, if not experienced yet?
Will you order it?
Why?
Why not?
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2012, 05:31 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
What does everyone think of the "Variable Sport Steering" option...or at least the concept of it, if not experienced yet?
Will you order it?
Why?
Why not?
If it feels anything like the Audi A4 felt then I would want nothing to do with it. Conversely I love the steering feel of my E90.

I am curious to drive the F30 with and without it.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I didnt order it
Old 01-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I ordered it on the F30. I really like it on our '06 Porsche 911.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersus...ablesteer.html

Variable Ratio Steering.

It's not even a new technology, this has been around for years.

I'd buy it.

Last edited by LS2 MN6; 01-19-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersus...ablesteer.html

Variable Ratio Steering.

It's not even a new technology, this has been around for years.

I'd buy it.
...so do you think it (variable sport steering) is CLOSER to the feel of the old hydraulic?
Or would the standard be closer?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
...so do you think it (variable sport steering) is CLOSER to the feel of the old hydraulic?
no one will know till they drive. i thought you drove one?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
no one will know till they drive. i thought you drove one?
yes...but did not have the order sheet...or know anything about options ordered or not?
company car,not even my company.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
yes...but did not have the order sheet...or know anything about options ordered or not?
company car,not even my company.
well how did the car you drive feel? it had some form of electric steering...
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
well how did the car you drive feel? it had some form of electric steering...
OK..but which steering it was,...not as good as the E46 or E90.
Give me the classic magic BMWhydraulic steering and SCREW the mpg
Old 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Automotive Supplier

Quote:
Variable is independent of Electric or Hydraulic and contributes nothing to the feel of one versus the other. It just provides a dynamic ratio. The 2009-2013 Corvette has a Variable Ratio Hydraulic rack, as an FYI of a hydraulic unit with Variable.

This whole Electric doesn't feel like Hydraulic is never going away, the reason Physics.

An Electric system has a motor on the rack (or column if it's a cheap system), and due to this you always have to "back drive" or compensate for the motor if you are putting in an input from the road. Therefore minor road chatter and the like is "removed" because the dead weight of the motor on the rack prevents such "vibrations" from being transfered. Second the electric system in the input pinion isn't connected to the rack other than thru a "torsion bar" since the goal of this bar is to measure your input torque (to accurately know how much steering assist you demand) the ability of transfer back from the rack to the driver is diminished (as the rack vibration, force, whatever must overcome the torsional stiffness of the torsion bar.)

Because of these two things an EPS will NEVER feel like an HPS. When they do it's because we actually tune the EPS to "fake" some of these vibrations by moving the motor ourselves with various "compensation functions."
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM

Question

Quote:
Variable is independent of Electric or Hydraulic and contributes nothing to the feel of one versus the other. It just provides a dynamic ratio. The 2009-2013 Corvette has a Variable Ratio Hydraulic rack, as an FYI of a hydraulic unit with Variable.

This whole Electric doesn't feel like Hydraulic is never going away, the reason Physics.

An Electric system has a motor on the rack (or column if it's a cheap system), and due to this you always have to "back drive" or compensate for the motor if you are putting in an input from the road. Therefore minor road chatter and the like is "removed" because the dead weight of the motor on the rack prevents such "vibrations" from being transfered. Second the electric system in the input pinion isn't connected to the rack other than thru a "torsion bar" since the goal of this bar is to measure your input torque (to accurately know how much steering assist you demand) the ability of transfer back from the rack to the driver is diminished (as the rack vibration, force, whatever must overcome the torsional stiffness of the torsion bar.)

Because of these two things an EPS will NEVER feel like an HPS. When they do it's because we actually tune the EPS to "fake" some of these vibrations by moving the motor ourselves with various "compensation functions."
OK, knowing what you do about this on a tech level...which would you rather have, the standard or base BMW F series steering or the Variable Sport?
Which steering should the BMW enthusiast prior to this PC correct GREEN safety gone anal Lexus loving appeal to the Desperate Housewives set, direction BMW has taken...choose
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM
Automotive Supplier

I'd always choose the variable rack over the straight ratio.

So you cannot go wrong with the variable sport option. It's going to defiantly make the system better than without it.

I'd have swapped my 2008 Corvette's straight ratio for the 2009 variable ratio if I didn't have to upgrade my brake system (long story, I won't bore you guys with). I like variable ratio that much.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Arrow

Quote:
I'd always choose the variable rack over the straight ratio.

So you cannot go wrong with the variable sport option. It's going to defiantly make the system better than without it.

I'd have swapped my 2008 Corvette's straight ratio for the 2009 variable ratio if I didn't have to upgrade my brake system (long story, I won't bore you guys with). I like variable ratio that much.
That is what I suspected, was not sure...THANKS
Might get a M-Sport for the wife...want to load it up as sporty best driving dynamics as possible. I, on the other hand, am HOPING BMW does not screw up the upcoming M3, the E9x (last series, or still present...lol) is going to be a tough act to follow.
BMW has a history of not knowing when to leave well enough alone.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I would get it. Although it's not as dynamic as the older Active Steering, the Variable Sportlenkung () should ideally provide a nice blend of stability at higher speeds and low-speed agility. Not having to go hand-over-hand in tight hairpins is a nice thing!
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
OK, knowing what you do about this on a tech level...which would you rather have, the standard or base BMW F series steering or the Variable Sport?
Which steering should the BMW enthusiast prior to this PC correct GREEN safety gone anal Lexus loving appeal to the Desperate Housewives set, direction BMW has taken...choose
You are a one way train on the path to disaster. It doesn't matter which one we like. The best steering is no assist at all but in any car weighing over 2000 pounds this is not feasible. EPS is the wave of the future whether you like it or not. And CAFE stds are here to stay, once again, whether you like it or not.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
You are a one way train on the path to disaster. It doesn't matter which one we like. The best steering is no assist at all but in any car weighing over 2000 pounds this is not feasible. EPS is the wave of the future whether you like it or not. And CAFE stds are here to stay, once again, whether you like it or not.
Actually, we have a choice...we can buy the superior drivers cars like the E46 & E9x's.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Actually, we have a choice...we can buy the superior drivers cars like the E46 & E9x's.
I drive an e90 and will probably get an F30 when my lease ends. Why don't you drive a 1991 Miata if you want the best driver's car?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM

That guy clearly doesn't like the F30 why he has to talk **** about it in every thread is beyond me...
Old 01-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I drive an e90 and will probably get an F30 when my lease ends. Why don't you drive a 1991 Miata if you want the best driver's car?
Too slow...girly-man car