BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Swap HELP!!! '98 528i w/ bad tranny, '01 525i w/ cracked head

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
I have looked at the forums long enough but I have not found what I need to make this decision. Please HELP!

I own two E39's:
1) 1998 528i with a rebuilt engine and, it seems, a bad tranny.
2) 2001 525i with a cracked head (don't ask, all I can say is I wasn't in the car!:bawling:)

Is there a cheap and logical way to swap components and get one running car plus parts? OR
Should I just handle them separately?

Kind regards,
Wade

#3 ·
Fix the cars separately
If you're going to replace the one needing an engine ... these were written to help you make the best choices:

- Summary advice to provide users who suspect a major engine repair due to overheating (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to test an engine for a blown head gasket, cracked heads, a warped block, stripped head bolt threads, cam seizures, contaminated bearings, coolant hydrolock, or piston, ring, or valve damage (1) (2) & what are the major factors in deciding whether to rebuild the engine, replace the engine, or sell the car (1) & a DIY for replacing the I6 M54 head gasket (1) (2) & replacing the V8 M62TU head gasket (1) & why these engines are so prone to heat-related damage in the first place (1) & welding the crack between cylinder #3 and the water jacket on the exhaust side (1) & what engine swaps are most recommended (1) (2) (3) & where to obtain a new or rebuilt head (1) replacement short block or long block (1) (2) & how to lift & remove the engine (1) & the most recent real-world results from people faced with similar blown engine problems from which this advice came from (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45)

#5 ·
To have a conpendium of the best of the relevant threads is fantastic.
I'm glad you appreciate the help.

Some people don't. They think it's just a bunch of links for them to click on.

Point is, almost no question is asked that doesn't already have a good head start in the forums... so ... it's best for anyone with a problem to start where others left off ...

And, then take it from there so the next person stands on your shoulders (and so on).

Now it's your turn to wade through all the information!

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.