Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 12' BMW X535i Premium
2012 X5 Premium 4400 Miles-Engine Malfunction

So I had an Engine Malfunction Warning message come on when starting my car one morning. Every time I started it, it would shut off a few seconds after with an error message that states "Engine Malfunction. Engine operating at reduced output. Possible to continue. Drive with Caution. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW Center". This happened when the car was at 4500 miles. I brought it to the BMW service center immediately, I received a call from the SA a day after saying the injector failed and needed to be replaced. The injector failed and allowed to much fuel into the cylinder. Injector and Spark plug has to be replaced. 27 Days Laters, I finally get my car back. What do you guys think about the problem and length of time the car was in service? I did have a loaner vehicle though. I am just annoyed that it took that much time and that the issue occurred on a brand new car. Also, I guess its normal to have 60 more additional miles on the odometer- I guess that was the road test?

Last edited by kcbimmer86; 01-09-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Too much feul typically leads to too much pressure and a blown head gasket or worse... It doesn't take 27 days and 60 miles to replace an injector and spark plug... I would ask for further explanations and would want to see the vehicle service history to confirm exactly what was replaced.

Jay
Old 01-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 12' BMW X535i Premium
Would I be able to drive the vehicle with a blown head gasket? Cause I drove the vehicle 7 miles to the dealership's service center. According to them, they were waiting for an injector to come in and some foam from Germany. I'm still annoyed that it took 27 days to fix. Also, pissed off that it happened to a brand new car. Do they really road test the car for 60 miles?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Yup it'll still drive, but will puke coolant, any signs of antifreeze?

Foam?

Sixty miles seems like a diagnosis issue not a road test. I'm guessing they kept replacing parts and test driving until they got the right one
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbimmer86 View Post
27 Days Laters, I finally get my car back. What do you guys think about the problem and length of time the car was in service?
Probably a parts availability problem. BMW has been cutting costs via very lean parts inventories in the U.S,
Old 01-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Twenty seven days for a injector and spark plug is excessive. What was stated in the service report you got from the dealer? Any explanation as to why it took so long? With regards to the 60 additional miles, under certain circumstances the dealer may need to drive the car for an extended period of time in order to clear codes or a CEL. But this is usually in a vehicle that has had parts related to the emissions system replaced. Not sure if that is in play here so again I would ask the SA and look carefully at the service report.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbimmer86 View Post
According to them, they were waiting for an injector to come in and some foam from Germany. I'm still annoyed that it took 27 days to fix. Also, pissed off that it happened to a brand new car.
Just saw the waiting for parts reply. As far as being pissed, this was a minor issue with the car and I would just let it go and enjoy the car

Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
What PRECISELY was listed on the work order? Scan it, blank out personal info.

60 miles is absolutely excessive. But you told them they could do whatever they want... right? Just signed the paper? Next time write "no permission to operate off dealership property" right next to where you sign it ...Simple. If they complain they need to test drive it, say "no problem, call me up and I'll come down for the drive" ...until they act responsibly they don't deserve to be treated like the older kids...

27 days. What is the lemon law in your state? You will get NO satisfaction from the dealership, they already know they can abuse you (the 27 days is simply them doing a crap job with expediting the parts)...BMWNA is a joke, they'll do nothing. Maybe ask the dealer to give you a free keychain. But knowing the lemon law, and the second you reach the criteria, pull the trigger and watch them wriggle.

A
Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Too much feul typically leads to too much pressure and a blown head gasket or worse... It doesn't take 27 days and 60 miles to replace an injector and spark plug... I would ask for further explanations and would want to see the vehicle service history to confirm exactly what was replaced.

Jay
to much fuel would not create to much pressure and blow a head gasket,the car has a fuel pressure regulator.When a injector leaks it triggers the code since not all the fuel is burning off.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonka858 View Post
to much fuel would not create to much pressure and blow a head gasket,the car has a fuel pressure regulator.When a injector leaks it triggers the code since not all the fuel is burning off.
A leaking injector can fill a cylinder with fuel- and then when the piston tries to compress the (incompressible) liquid, it can blow a gasket, spark plug, bend a rod, destroy an engine, etc.

A leaking injector can also destroy a single cylinder bore by washing the walls of all oil, causing scaring and damage- hard to diagnose and prove (or maybe I should say, easy for a dealer to ignore)
Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
huh???

Boost and overfueling is the absolutely the best way to blow a headgasket or worse. I'm not talking a rich condition, I'm talking a full out injector failure.

As Ard stated, washing the cylinder walls and getting fuel in the oil is also a great way to destroy piston liners and crank/cam bearings as well.

Leaking fuel injectors can take out an engine very quickly. Just ask the Durumax LB7 and Powerstroke 6.0 owners.

Jay
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
What PRECISELY was listed on the work order? Scan it, blank out personal info.

60 miles is absolutely excessive. But you told them they could do whatever they want... right? Just signed the paper? Next time write "no permission to operate off dealership property" right next to where you sign it ...Simple. If they complain they need to test drive it, say "no problem, call me up and I'll come down for the drive" ...until they act responsibly they don't deserve to be treated like the older kids...
Oddly enough I had the opposite experience once. My 330i brakes would periodically give a loud "clunk" sound, generally when cold. I took it in a few times but the dealer couldn't reproduce. I actually begged the service manager to take my car home over the weekend and drive it around as his personal vehicle until he heard the problem. I was sure he'd hear the problem if he jumped in the car on a cold morning and used it for his commute to work.

For some reason they kept refusing and I never did get the problem diagnosed. Insurance and liability issues, I guess. A couple years later I did a brake and brake fluid change after the warranty expired and that solved the problem.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
Yes it could wash the cylinders but if it dumped that much fuel it would go out the exhaust value when the piston came back up,

I was a mechanic for 25 years, I have never seen a blow head gasket caused from a leaky injector.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes it could wash the cylinders but if it dumped that much fuel it would go out the exhaust value when the piston came back up,

I was a mechanic for 25 years, I have never seen a blow head gasket caused from a leaky injector.
A leaky injector would be most lethal if it filled a cylinder after a car was shut off. Essentially hydrolocking.

I agree than it would be rare, and would not be the first fear I'd have.

In terms of test driving, I agree there are cases when it is essential- and my SA and mechanic are trustworthy, I've given them 'driving rights' on some work orders.

Finally on the infamous 'BMW Clunk'... pads shifting in the carrier can cause this. Maybe they worked out the tolerances on the pads and when you finally changed them it fixed the issue?