Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
I have never owned a BMW never even thought about it

But the more I read the more I want. I was ment to pick up the 335XI with 119000 miles on it but chase backed out of the finance at the very last step before closing because of the miles even on a 36 month loan. and now I have to get it through my local credit union. Kinda sucks but oh well lower rate 2.9% fixed. Anyway I know alot of you tell me I am mad but I really like this car. I have driven a couple of BMW'S this past week and this one is the only one that my heart wants. I have looked on every car sales sight and still this car comes out on top. The others have either had one of the options missing or had an accident or is white or has a off white interior.

I looked at extended warranties but to be honest 3,500 for a 5 year warranty with $100 deductable seems steep. I mean how much is a turbo job on one of these? Or a tranny job. Tranny would seem to me to be the one thing that would have to blow for the warranty to be worth it.
Ads by Google
Old 01-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 MINI S
I would not recommend owning a 335 out of warranty and I personally would never buy this car. Ironically, I would only say to go for it if you were quite wealthy. Then you can take a calculated risk. You don't mention the year, but the 335s have had a lot of issues, especially the early ones. This is very high miles. Not a great move financially but if you lease a new one you at least know what your cost will be (and it will include maintenance.) $3,500 is actually nothing compared to what could go wrong on a used 335 with that many miles. Still, even with warranty, would never do it. But that's just me.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post

to be honest 3,500 for a 5 year warranty with $100 deductable seems steep. I mean how much is a turbo job on one of these? Or a tranny job. Tranny would seem to me to be the one thing that would have to blow for the warranty to be worth it.
If that third party warranty company is really going to pay up, $3500 works out to $700 in annual covered repairs. In the unlikely event that the car just breaks once each year, the annual repair cost might than be $700 + $100 = $800. $800 in annual repairs seems low in annual repairs for a BMW with over 100k on the clock, unless you have the skills and tools to do much or most of your own work.

I'd look at the fine print of that warranty and see what's not covered. I'm guessing that a lot of components that are expected to break or wear out, like the clutch, brakes and suspension components aren't covered.

Once the BMW extended warranty on mine has expired, the puppy is going back to the pound. The car will be 7 years old, and I still might buy a new one at that point. Love BMWs, but the out-of-warranty maintenance and repair costs on the current crop of cars is just silly. The steering angle sensor (did you know the car has one?) on mine failed under the original warranty and BMW was invoiced over $1000 for the part, labor and programming. This motivated me to buy the BMW extended warranty. I've also had the radio on mine replaced (I thought that technology was ironed out in the 1920s!) a couple of times and there have been a bunch of other electronic and cosmetic repairs. I would not want to own a current (within the last 10 years) BMW without a warranty; the only possible exception might be a nice E46. At 120k that 335i is getting to an age where a lot of components are starting to wear out, like the clutch, suspension components, etc. Even paying for a brake job on these cars is not for the faint of heart!

If costs are a consideration, I'd suggest that you look for a nice Toyota Corolla or Camry. You might be miserable, but at least the car won't bankrupt you!
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 AM

I have not paid for maintance in a long time but i know the labor rate is high. As for the warranty "Warranty Direct" gave me a quote of 2650 for 5yrs/100,000 miles for PowerSheild Enhanced zero deductable. But the requirement is silly they want me to change the oil every 4,000 miles.

7. MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS: You must:
a) Change the engine oil and filter within sixty (60) days of the warranty start date.
b) Have the engine oil and filter changed by a commercial service facility every four (4) months or four
thousand (4,000) miles thereafter whichever comes first. Proper documented and verifiable receipts for oil
and engine filter changes will be required in the event of a claim. Hand written receipts will not be
accepted. Receipts must be on licensed repair facility letterhead and include date and mileage at time of
service.

The warranty seems pretty good.
ENGINE. (a) The following lubricated internal parts: pistons, pins & rings, connecting rods & bearings; crankshaft & main
bearings; camshaft, followers & cam bearings; push rods, valves, springs, replaceable guides, seats & lifters; rocker arms,
shafts & bushings; timing gear, chain, tensioners & retainers; eccentric shaft; oil pump. (b) Timing belt; serpentine belt;
Water pump: Impeller shaft, bearings, bushings & housing; intake & exhaust manifolds; engine mounts & cushions;
engine torque strut; harmonic balancer; flywheel (flex plate) & flywheel ring gear; mechanical fuel pump; fuel sending unit;
dipstick & tube; all pulleys. (c) All lubricated internal parts of the vehicle manufacturer installed turbocharger or
supercharger. The housing is covered ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part. (d) Engine head(s);
WD-PSE DAC 8/11 3
engine block; cylinder barrels; timing cover; valve cover(s); oil pan; dipstick & tube, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a
lubricated internal part.

TRANSMISSION. (a) All lubricated internal parts contained within the case(s). (b) Computer modules & solenoids; filler
tube & dipstick; vacuum modulator; internal linkage. (c) Transmission case, transfer case & torque converter case, ONLY
if damaged by the Failure of a lubricated internal part.
DRIVE AXLE. (a) All lubricated internal parts contained within the housing(s). (b) Axle shafts; constant velocity joints
(CV); universal joints; drive shafts; locking hubs; locking rings; supports, retainer & bearings (including hub and wheel
bearings). (c) Differential housing, transaxle housing & final drive housing, ONLY if damaged by the Failure of a
lubricated internal part.
AIR CONDITIONING AND HEATING: Accumulator; condenser; condenser fan; condenser fan motor; compressor;
compressor clutch, dryer, evaporator and expansion valve.
ELECTRICAL: Alternator / generator; air conditioner blower motor; starter motor; starter solenoid and starter drive; horns;
windshield wiper motors; windshield washer pump.
LUXURY ELECTRICAL: Power window motors; window regulators; power door lock actuators; power trunk release;
power antenna motor; and all manually operated switches.
COOLING SYSTEM: Cooling fan; cooling fan motor; and fan clutch.
FUEL SYSTEM: Fuel delivery pump; fuel injection pump; metal fuel lines; fuel pressure regulator; fuel sending unit; and fuel
gauge.
SEALS AND GASKETS: Seals and gaskets related to the covered parts listed above are covered, but only when
required as a part of the authorized repair or replacement of those covered parts. Leaking and/or failed seals and
gaskets by themselves are not covered parts.
OPTIONAL EMISSIONS COVERAGE: Oxygen sensor, MAP sensor, Mass air flow sensor, Anti-knock sensor, EGR/EFE
valve, EGR/EFE Thermal Vacuum Switch, Air Pump, Canister Purge Solenoid, Deceleration Valve; Air Induction System;
EGR Recirculation System; Fuel Sensor; Fuel Tank Pressure Control Valve; Intake Manifold; PCV System; Powertrain
Control

the only thing wrong with the warranty is

B. OIL CONSUMPTION, WORN OUT PARTS, AND DIMINISHED PERFORMANCE INCLUDING THAT RESULTING FROM A
GRADUAL REDUCTION IN OPERATING PERFORMANCE DUE TO NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR SUCH AS TO GUIDES,
VALVES, RINGS, AND TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PACK, DISCS AND BANDS IS NOT COVERED.
D. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: CARBURETOR; BATTERY; BATTERY/BATTERY PACK ON HYBRID/ELECTRIC VEHICLES;
SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE;
THROWOUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR; SAFETY RESTRAINT
SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE HARDWARE; ALL
EXHAUST AND EMISSION COMPONENTS EXCEPT THOSE SPECIFICALLY LISTED UNDER THE COVERAGE SECTION OF
THIS CONTRACT; WEATHER STRIPS; ALL TRIM, MOLDINGS, HANDLES, KNOBS OR DIALS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME;
UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS;
TIRES AND WHEELS/RIMS; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS AND
INTERNET ACCESS SYSTEMS.

Last edited by Leekay07; 01-10-2012 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Philosopher-king

Quote:

the only thing wrong with the warranty is

B. OIL CONSUMPTION, WORN OUT PARTS, AND DIMINISHED PERFORMANCE INCLUDING THAT RESULTING FROM A
GRADUAL REDUCTION IN OPERATING PERFORMANCE DUE TO NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR SUCH AS TO GUIDES,
VALVES, RINGS, AND TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PACK, DISCS AND BANDS IS NOT COVERED.
D. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: CARBURETOR; BATTERY; BATTERY/BATTERY PACK ON HYBRID/ELECTRIC VEHICLES;
SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE;
THROWOUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND ROTOR; SAFETY RESTRAINT
SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE HARDWARE; ALL
EXHAUST AND EMISSION COMPONENTS EXCEPT THOSE SPECIFICALLY LISTED UNDER THE COVERAGE SECTION OF
THIS CONTRACT; WEATHER STRIPS; ALL TRIM, MOLDINGS, HANDLES, KNOBS OR DIALS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME;
UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS;
TIRES AND WHEELS/RIMS; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS AND
INTERNET ACCESS SYSTEMS.
..ie, the parts that actually break...

I'm also a little about the need for documented dealer oil changes every 4 months warrant the power window motors. Does it cover the radiator and the electric water pump? The cooling system is traditionally one of BMW's Achilles heels. (And BMW's usually have more heels than a centipede.)

I didn't see "software and programming"; the E9x uses a common electrical bus, when an electrical component is replaced the car may need to be reprogrammed to recognize the new component. (It was for my steering angle sensor and several times for my radio.)

I am not brave enough to try this, but if you do, good luck, and welcome!
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
But the more I read the more I want. I was ment to pick up the 335XI with 119000 miles on it but chase backed out of the finance at the very last step before closing because of the miles even on a 36 month loan. and now I have to get it through my local credit union. Kinda sucks but oh well lower rate 2.9% fixed. Anyway I know alot of you tell me I am mad but I really like this car. I have driven a couple of BMW'S this past week and this one is the only one that my heart wants. I have looked on every car sales sight and still this car comes out on top. The others have either had one of the options missing or had an accident or is white or has a off white interior.

I looked at extended warranties but to be honest 3,500 for a 5 year warranty with $100 deductable seems steep. I mean how much is a turbo job on one of these? Or a tranny job. Tranny would seem to me to be the one thing that would have to blow for the warranty to be worth it.
What price are they asking for the car? Personally I would be hesitant to buy a 335 with 119K miles as it is 1K miles short of the warranty extension for the HPFP. Knowing this you either need to be buying the car at a steep discount or ensuring the warranty you do purchase is thorough (it looked OK but there's always ambiguity subject to interpretation).

As others have said if you're looking at this particular car because it's what you can "afford" I would suggest you look into alternatives. If you want to stay with BMW the E90 325/330 and E9x 328 series are all fine vehicles.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
What price are they asking for the car? Personally I would be hesitant to buy a 335 with 119K miles as it is 1K miles short of the warranty extension for the HPFP. Knowing this you either need to be buying the car at a steep discount or ensuring the warranty you do purchase is thorough (it looked OK but there's always ambiguity subject to interpretation).

As others have said if you're looking at this particular car because it's what you can "afford" I would suggest you look into alternatives. If you want to stay with BMW the E90 325/330 and E9x 328 series are all fine vehicles.
I think Sunny is right here. 119K is a lot of miles on a used car that you haven't owned from new and know about oil changes and service history.
Also available in Alpine White...

Last edited by ///M-ratedE90; 01-10-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Owning an out-of-warranty BMW is ridiculously expensive.

Ask me how I know...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
If the 335i being considered is not a 2009 or newer, I would pass. 2007 & 08's have a few too many problems unless the service records demonstrate a lot of component changes in the last couple of years.

$1K dollar repairs aren't uncommon these days due to the shop rates of the majority of dealerships. I know of a Dodge dealer that charges $1500 for a complete brake overhaul on a PT Cruiser.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Owning an out-of-warranty BMW is ridiculously expensive.

Ask me how I know...
Ahh, you have an E39. I recently looked at 2000 540i sport with stick. Full maintenance history. From 2005 to present (~60K to ~110K miles) the car has racked up ~$22K in maintenance and repair bills. Pretty much all INDY work, from full cooling system replacement, clutch, brakes, fuel injection rails and new VANOS units.

Where as my E93 - from 88K to 188K miles has only cost me about $4K in repairs (all wear and tear like brakes, suspension, and two oil leaks). Granted, except for the last oil leak, this was mostly part prices since I DIY.

Last edited by Bcube; 01-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM

the car had alot of out of maintance repairs done to it in its first year. The guy knows the car better than anyone and he loves his BMW the only maintance is pads and rotors. THe fuel pump has been replaced 2 times and has been problem free for 45,000. THe injectors where needed to be replaced before it even got to its 2nd oil change.

Last edited by Leekay07; 01-10-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I am going to buy it the cars had alot of maintance in the first year it was always in for repair and was trucked 3 times. Its had injectors and fuel pumps but its been trouble free for almost 2 years. Needing only breaks and rotors and tires.
Do you mind letting us know what the price is along with more details about it (such as color, options, year, etc)?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Philosopher-king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
Granted, except for the last oil leak, this was mostly part prices since I DIY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
...unless you have the skills and tools to do much or most of your own work.
OK -- he can't say he wasn't warned! (At least, as bad habits go, this one probably isn't quite as as costly as gambling, multiple wives or drugs!)

Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335XI
Again, its a mistake at $19K. I promise you there are better deals out there. You might have to consider a 2007, but you can get half the miles at the same price.

Hate to be negative, but I figure you wouldn't be posting again if you didn't want feedback. There is a reason Chase declined the loan....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Bimmer
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
Don't buy a old BMW just to have a BMW. It's going to end up being a big pita.

2011 E92 | Space Grey Metallic | Red/Black/Bamboo | ZMP | Premium | Convenience | Navigation | HK | Heated Seats
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 AM

Its black on black, sports,nav,premium and comfort package. Mint inside and out. New tires, brakes and rotors. The BMW history is complete service done by BMW.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Its black on black, sports,nav,premium and comfort package. Mint inside and out. New tires, brakes and rotors. The BMW history is complete service done by BMW.
Many here consider that a negative, at least wrt service intervals.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Philosopher-king

FWIW, the older BMWs are not only cheaper but are more shade-tree mechanic-friendly. (The E46 is easier to fix than the E9x, the E36 is easier to fix than the E46, etc.)

The downside is that it takes even more work and time to find the "right" car. But the upside is that it costs less money. I've seen nice, nice E30s sell for almost a song.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
But the more I read the more I want.

For a 335xi with 119k, $3500 for a five year extended service contract is not a bad price. How many miles are covered?

You might want to check with Pentagon FCU, www.PenFed.org . Anyone can join. They are first rate. I think they're offering 1.9% for 36 months right now. The also sell extended service contracts. I think that is through a third party with whom they have a relationship, but I'm not sure right off the top of my head.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
Don't buy a old BMW just to have a BMW.

I guess you're referring to the Bangle-era techno-rich stuff...

I bought an older E39 because I prefer its classic lines over the hideous abomination known as the E60.

Even with the substantial investment in restoring my now 9 year-old un-BMW, I've still spent 1/3 of what the original owner forked-out when it rolled off the showroom floor. I've probably even spent less than the amount it depreciated in one year.

I will agree buying and loving an older vintage BMW has its disadvantages but to some of us that call themselves BMW enthusiasts, it's well worth it.

Hopefully there will still be buyers of off-warranty e9x cars long after the F30 heads out to pasture. If not, there will be wrecking yards full of them before you know it.
Which wouldn't actually be a bad thing for the DIY crowd.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
Keep looking! I have a 2007.5 335 that I bought new. It is the only car that I wanted to keep more than a couple of years. It is fabulous, but 140K miles is too much - especially for a turbo. If it were a 328, I'd say OK, but not this one. If you're looking at a 140K car, I'd guess that you're not too rich, that's fine, but a couple of $3-4,000 repairs will do serious damage to your life. Another one will show up in a month or two with 60K that should be safer. Btw, do some serious searching about extended 'warranties'. They are not regarded as a sure 'get out of jail free' card.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: '96 Explorer
I definitely wouldn't consider a 335 with over 100,000 miles unless you're quite wealthy.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
energetik9

Mein Auto: waiting for the M4!
Quote:

I have owned multiple BMW's out of warranty, but knowing the history, it was not a big issue. My BMWs have always been solid (in or out of warranty) with few issues beyond wear and tear. But those were cars I owned for many years and took care of. However, no matter the make, I would avoid purchasing ANY high mileage car to include a BMW.
Previous - X5 3.0i with prem/sport
Previous - 2000 ///M roadster
----------------------------
Someone should invent a sarcasm font...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM

To all responding as of late, the OP has already purchased the car:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...802&highlight=
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i