Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob n Nashville View Post
my 99 z3 has no lights on the air/heat controls as well as blower switch and temp conrtol.

Can you confirm the Z3 has lights on these three controls before I tear into the console?
Thanks
Bob
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=hvac will be helpful
Old 01-16-2012, 04:05 PM
007 Roadster

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 & 1999 328ic
Alright, I have pictures posted! Check out my new post here on this site!
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9
More questions about dash trim

OK, so now I'm really confused...

My car is a '97 Z3 Roadster. I have what I thought is OEM wood dash trim, but now I'm not so sure. It definitely is wood, as you can see from the chips in the photos. But it's not just around the dash/console - I also have it around the air vents and on the glove box door.

I'm hating the chips and want to do something about it, but I'm not at all sure how to tackle it. Any thoughts/suggestions/wisdom to share...? Also, any idea what color is this trim? And if it's really wood, how do I go about removing it without breaking it?

And unrelated... is it safe for me to assume that only one of my dashboard lights (the HVAC blower speed dial) is out (referring to pic #2)?

Many thanks,
-Bob-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-trim-1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	411383   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-trim-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	411384   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-trim-3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	411385   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-trim-4.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	411386   Click image for larger version

Name:	dash-trim-5.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	411387  

Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 2.3
Looks like an add-on kit to me

Factory wood trim would never chip like that, it looks like it is coated with about 10 layers of protection, very shiny and hard
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radojko View Post
... My car is a '97 Z3 Roadster. I have what I thought is OEM wood dash trim, but now I'm not so sure. It definitely is wood, as you can see from the chips in the photos. But it's not just around the dash/console - I also have it around the air vents and on the glove box door. I'm hating the chips and want to do something about it, but I'm not at all sure how to tackle it...
You have an adhered dash "kit" that has been weathered out by sunlight. I put a similar kit on the console of my 2006 Scion xB when it was new, and because it's a closed wagon and has been garaged, the kit is still like new:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...h/WoodDash.jpg

I decided against getting a wood dash kit for the console of the 1997 Z3 I bought a year ago:
http://www.bitrim.com/wooddashkits.htm

The kits are cut-to-fit thin wood veneer, or vinyl photos, overlaid with thick urethane plastic, on a backing sheet of 3M adhesive. The pieces are removable if applied normally. For corners that might not adhere, or for more permanency, the kits contain a tube of chemical enhancer that improves the bond.

If your kit was applied without the enhancer, it should peel off the console, leaving some adhesive residue that 3M Adhesive Remover will clean up. Spray into a cup and apply with a brush.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=189453_0_0_

If the bond enhancer was used, it may not allow the pieces to peel off intact, and/or it might lift the original finish of the console.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
You have an adhered dash "kit" that has been weathered out by sunlight. I put a similar kit on the console of my 2006 Scion xB when it was new, and because it's a closed wagon and has been garaged, the kit is still like new:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...h/WoodDash.jpg

I decided against getting a wood dash kit for the console of the 1997 Z3 I bought a year ago:
http://www.bitrim.com/wooddashkits.htm

The kits are cut-to-fit thin wood veneer, or vinyl photos, overlaid with thick urethane plastic, on a backing sheet of 3M adhesive. The pieces are removable if applied normally. For corners that might not adhere, or for more permanency, the kits contain a tube of chemical enhancer that improves the bond.

If your kit was applied without the enhancer, it should peel off the console, leaving some adhesive residue that 3M Adhesive Remover will clean up. Spray into a cup and apply with a brush.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=189453_0_0_

If the bond enhancer was used, it may not allow the pieces to peel off intact, and/or it might lift the original finish of the console.

Thanks very much for your insights! FYI... I just found and obtained an original wood (AHORN) console faceplate (a/k/a, "storing partition cover"), consisting of 4 parts: switch cover, storage compartment bottom, and 2 trim panels. I'm not at all worried about removing and replacing those parts that are in place now. I'm more concerned about the trim around the vents and on the glove box. I'm worried about being able to take that stuff off without mangling the surface beneath.

Any advice as to how to begin the removal? I wish there were an "inconspicuous" place that I could experiment with...

Thanks again,
-Bob-
Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
No advice. Have not tried to remove. Assume it pulls off and cleans up if the bond enhancer was not used. Google "remove wood dash trim" or variations of that.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by radojko View Post
Thanks very much for your insights! FYI... I just found and obtained an original wood (AHORN) console faceplate (a/k/a, "storing partition cover"), consisting of 4 parts: switch cover, storage compartment bottom, and 2 trim panels. I'm not at all worried about removing and replacing those parts that are in place now. I'm more concerned about the trim around the vents and on the glove box. I'm worried about being able to take that stuff off without mangling the surface beneath.

Any advice as to how to begin the removal? I wish there were an "inconspicuous" place that I could experiment with...

Thanks again,
-Bob-
Following up on my console upgrade...

The existing after-market "wood" trim was pretty easy to remove. Forget about trying to salvage it, though - it's pretty brittle. There was some adhesive residue that I had to remove from the dash, glove box, and around the vents, but nothing that some patience and a little elbow grease couldn't handle.

Removing the console took some effort. I chose *not* to remove the hand brake boot, but that wasn't much of an impedance. The *real* issue was that the hand brake was pretty tight and couldn't be brought to a vertical position. Eventually, I worked it out.

While I was in there, I replaced the two HVAC control bulbs and the cigarette lighter bulb. I also learned that somebody had gone into the dash at some point in the past and butchered it. They only used 2 of the 4 screws that secured things behind the radio. Three of the 4 c-clips that secured the left and right sides of the console in the foot well areas were missing, and the plastic pieces that the clips attached to were snapped off. It took a lot of finessing, but I managed to replace the missing c-clips and delicately attach them to what was left of the plastic attachment point.

Putting everything else back together went pretty smoothly. Project done!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z3 console 1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	416809   Click image for larger version

Name:	screw 1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	416810  
Old 01-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ic4me View Post
That is 100% not an OEM panel. I know this because

D) The OEM version is all one piece, no separated

I attached a picture of the OEM Wood Console for you. As you can see, yours isn't remotely close. I can absolutely guarantee you, yours is in no way an OEM part!!
For the record, the OEM center cover (around the radio, HVAC switches, shifter boot, and hand brake boot) is actually two separate pieces...

B.