Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM
MadHolms MadHolms is offline
Registered User
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: X5 4.8i, 2010
2012 BMW Premium DVDs map North America

Hi

Can anyone share the DVDs with map update for 2012? I have already the activation code, just need the DVDs.
Or is there an online site where I can buy them. I know they are pretty cheap, around $20 or such.

Thx
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 PM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Maps should be loaded already on your vehicle... They didn't give any DVD for my vehicle and it was working when I took the delivery.

Check with your dealer for Maps if not loaded..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:13 PM
MadHolms MadHolms is offline
Registered User
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: X5 4.8i, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Maps should be loaded already on your vehicle... They didn't give any DVD for my vehicle and it was working when I took the delivery.

Check with your dealer for Maps if not loaded..
Well yes, I do have the map but is a little old, is form 2010. I need the DVDs for 2012
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHolms View Post
Hi

Can anyone share the DVDs with map update for 2012? I have already the activation code, just need the DVDs.
Or is there an online site where I can buy them. I know they are pretty cheap, around $20 or such.

Thx
BMW is no longer selling the CIC map update DVDs separately. They have to be purchased with the activation code for $229

This statement is incorrect. It was based on a dealer accessory bulletin. Hahaha. Don't believe what you read.

The CIC map disks are still available for purchase without FSC codes for 10bucks.

Last edited by apw2607; 01-31-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
BMW is no longer selling the CIC map update DVDs separately. They have to be purchased with the activation code for $229
1. Are you sure? They were selling the DVD with the data for $9, then the FSC activation code separately- but MOST dealers dint realize this. Yes, CIC... not CCC maps

2. $229??!?! WHERE?? Crazy cheap price compared to numbers I am hearing

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
MadHolms MadHolms is offline
Registered User
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: X5 4.8i, 2010
well, I just called my dealer and they said they don't sell anymore the DVDs for CIC navigation. You have to drive to them and make the update. The price they quoted was $375. Not cheap though
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM
kkratochvil kkratochvil is offline
Registered User
Location: Des Moines, IA; USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. Are you sure? They were selling the DVD with the data for $9, then the FSC activation code separately- but MOST dealers dint realize this. Yes, CIC... not CCC maps

2. $229??!?! WHERE?? Crazy cheap price compared to numbers I am hearing

A
I'd talked to my local BMW parts guy on the topic of ordering map updates for my 2010 X5 early last December. He simply indicated that he couldn't order it anymore (temporarily), which he indicated subtly that it likely meant BMW was going to possibly be going to a different map/data provider and that he'd call me when it was again possible to order whatever is the latest. I haven't heard back...

I know this doesn't necessarily answer the question, but it might add some color to the fact there could be changes afoot.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHolms View Post
well, I just called my dealer and they said they don't sell anymore the DVDs for CIC navigation. You have to drive to them and make the update. The price they quoted was $375. Not cheap though
No doubt. Dealers generally did not know about the method I posted (buying the maps for $9 and the FSC code for $300+).... they are 'taught' it is a 'drive in only' upgrade.

I've not priced/researched it since last year.

In response to the comment above about 'new vendor' and 'changes afoot', a dealership is the LAST place to get that info. The are largely clueless, poorly informed, and make stuff up when they don't know. IMO
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
How can you tell if your map is 2012 or 2011?
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Orin Orin is offline
Registered User
Location: North East.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: E46
I just got a flyer in the mail from BMWNA, according to this, the map updates are $199, and you can order them from www.mapupdatesupport.com/2012/ or, alternatively, call 1-866-543-6848 (in the US.)
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=179688&dateline=1267601650
"...Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams..."
~W.B. Yeats
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Kietv Kietv is offline
Registered User
Location: Signal Hill, SoCal
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 86
Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
I just got a flyer in the mail from BMWNA, according to this, the map updates are $199, and you can order them from www.mapupdatesupport.com/2012/ or, alternatively, call 1-866-543-6848 (in the US.)

+1, I got the same flyer as well.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
apw2607 apw2607 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 484
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
1. Are you sure? They were selling the DVD with the data for $9, then the FSC activation code separately- but MOST dealers dint realize this. Yes, CIC... not CCC maps

2. $229??!?! WHERE?? Crazy cheap price compared to numbers I am hearing

A
229 is just the cost of media plus fcs. Does not include any installation charges etc.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Penguin Penguin is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,915
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
Ihe indicated subtly that it likely meant BMW was going to possibly be going to a different map/data provider
That would be fantastic, if true. The Teleatlas maps and database for the U.S. is a disaster in my opinion, at least for the Midwest and West.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2012, 07:03 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Just picked up my 6 DVD set of maps at my local BMW Dealer. $10 total.

2. The part number was 01990037287

3. Last year this part number was 3 DVDs and included the 3 2011 maps. This year you get 6 DVDs, and in now includes the 2011 and 2012 maps. Seems weird, why wouldn't bmw have a new number??? Or not include the old 2011 maps??? Very strange ops decision... although maybe there would be a need to reinstall SW on a car that came in with 2011 data and therefore needs to leave with 2011 data? Still...

4. You need a unique FSC code to install the map data. Each disc set has an "FSC SWID" number. You enter this number, and the car's VIN, and the BMW server creates a unique 20 digit FSC that will load THAT swid onto THAT vin.

I haven't bothered with getting the FSC yet, as I actually dont know what is installed on the car. Probably 2011 data. I'm planning on getting the FSC from one of our buddies in the EU.

Finally, the dealer parts guy was absolutely positive I was wrong- and was shocked when the order came in and it was as described.

A

PS I am annoyed with BMW sending out the emails saying "$199"... I actually pressed them on this with the 2010 and demanded that honor the offer for the CIC. They said they would, but then I lemoned it.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2012, 04:46 AM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
I heard, this guys sells the FSC code for $100. I'm pretty sure they use some algorithm to generate the code.. This is same as entering the Windows activation code found from the internet.

http://www.navibmw.pl/bmw.html
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
thesmaz thesmaz is offline
Registered User
Location: OKC
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 11 X535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietv View Post
+1, I got the same flyer as well.
Went to that link and here's whats displayed:
Server Error
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
What is the best place to buy an FSC code? All I care about is price, reliability and willingness to take Amex/Visa/PayPal. Doesn't need to be authorized dealer.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:46 AM
thesmaz thesmaz is offline
Registered User
Location: OKC
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 11 X535d
@ard, Thanks for the part number! I'll go order the disc and then pursue the activation code. Really interested to see if the map updates are significant and current.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
I heard, this guys sells the FSC code for $100. I'm pretty sure they use some algorithm to generate the code.. This is same as entering the Windows activation code found from the internet.

http://www.navibmw.pl/bmw.html
I think it is the same guys i've been talking to... different storefront. My suspicion is that all FSCs are generated by BMW servers...but they have different pricing structures in different countries.

However, if some software group in eastern europe has hacked the code and can generate them that would make me feel MUCH better. Interestingly, buying a hacked code and using it is perfectly legal! Unlike ripping a copy of a copyrighted DVD, there is no legal restriction with the FSC.

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:08 AM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Ard, they have an algorithm to generate the code based on the year. Each year map will have a different code for the same VIN. I'm pretty sure I can get this working if I have all files from CIC system since I'm a software developer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think it is the same guys i've been talking to... different storefront. My suspicion is that all FSCs are generated by BMW servers...but they have different pricing structures in different countries.

However, if some software group in eastern europe has hacked the code and can generate them that would make me feel MUCH better. Interestingly, buying a hacked code and using it is perfectly legal! Unlike ripping a copy of a copyrighted DVD, there is no legal restriction with the FSC.

A
__________________
BMW Coding in Wisconsin, Remote Coding and Coding setup, 2014 BMW On-Board Navigation System Update (CIC/NBT) - www.bmwminicoding.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Ard, they have an algorithm to generate the code based on the year. Each year map will have a different code for the same VIN. I'm pretty sure I can get this working if I have all files from CIC system since I'm a software developer.
I am prrtty sure they convolve the VIN with the FSC ID code...and use a kernel/key as well.

The problem is even if you had 100 VINS, 100 FSC codes, an 100 Maps/years (or even multiple years and multiple codes) there is not enough information to deconvolve the key/kernel. Unless BMW was stupid enough to make it really, really simple. Could be, but I doubt it. My 2 cents.

Happy to help if it can be done, there is nothing illegal about it either.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
kanar200's Avatar
kanar200 kanar200 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 741
Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
I heard, this guys sells the FSC code for $100. I'm pretty sure they use some algorithm to generate the code.. This is same as entering the Windows activation code found from the internet.

http://www.navibmw.pl/bmw.html
they quoted $130 for FSC code
__________________


WTB: spare tire kit
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Really...check with this guy..

"Generating BMW FSC codes, fast and cheap! FSC code costs 71 EUR or 97 USD or 62. you can pay via paypal or moneybooker. *****************

Here is the Profile if you have trouble emailing him:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/memb...94-sieras5.htm

Last edited by icuc; 02-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 PM
icuc's Avatar
icuc icuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Wisconsin
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 445
Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Look at this for FSC code generator..

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/bmw/...tml#post119867

I tried the tool but I was getting some dll error.. I hope they would give the code for free soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I am prrtty sure they convolve the VIN with the FSC ID code...and use a kernel/key as well.

The problem is even if you had 100 VINS, 100 FSC codes, an 100 Maps/years (or even multiple years and multiple codes) there is not enough information to deconvolve the key/kernel. Unless BMW was stupid enough to make it really, really simple. Could be, but I doubt it. My 2 cents.

Happy to help if it can be done, there is nothing illegal about it either.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,189
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Look at this for FSC code generator..

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/bmw/...tml#post119867

I tried the tool but I was getting some dll error.. I hope they would give the code for free soon.
Yes, I'm on that forum and have been monitoring it.

If you note there appears to be- at the core- a need to be accessing the BMW server... one member there is selling, essentially, access to his computer that has access to the BMW server. Not sure what FSC-Tools sells...

Jury is still out on a "BMW independent" code.

Good stuff



A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms