Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 3008 X3
Failed 2010 X5d Help

On my 6th BMW, trading every three years. Have owned 3 and 5 series, X3 and X5 and even picked up in Germany. Now have 2010 X5d with 13k miles which has had constant problems. Has been in for reprogramming 3 times, failure of backup camera, 2 batteries, and today sent back again on a stretcher only 5 days after I got it back for replacement of the alternator (which took 3 1/2 weeks). Back to lights on, won't start, SOS won't work, etc.

We live 2 hours from the nearest dealership (which is in Idaho Falls). BMW NA customer service abysmal. National number answered by nice folks who tell me it is "too bad" that it takes 3 weeks to get an alternator. Forwarded to "manager" who doesn't return calls.

The dealership doesn't seem to have the expertise to repair and BMW NA doesn't seem to care. Pretty tough to have a $63k car sitting on the lot 2 hours from here when no one can fix the problem.

I would be happy to sell it back and never own a BMW again, even after 20 loyal years.

What recourse does one have when all else fails?
Ads by Google
Old 01-11-2012, 06:49 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by martintrott View Post
On my 6th BMW, trading every three years. Have owned 3 and 5 series, X3 and X5 and even picked up in Germany. Now have 2010 X5d with 13k miles which has had constant problems. Has been in for reprogramming 3 times, failure of backup camera, 2 batteries, and today sent back again on a stretcher only 5 days after I got it back for replacement of the alternator (which took 3 1/2 weeks). Back to lights on, won't start, SOS won't work, etc.

We live 2 hours from the nearest dealership (which is in Idaho Falls). BMW NA customer service abysmal. National number answered by nice folks who tell me it is "too bad" that it takes 3 weeks to get an alternator. Forwarded to "manager" who doesn't return calls.

The dealership doesn't seem to have the expertise to repair and BMW NA doesn't seem to care. Pretty tough to have a $63k car sitting on the lot 2 hours from here when no one can fix the problem.

I would be happy to sell it back and never own a BMW again, even after 20 loyal years.

What recourse does one have when all else fails?
Sorry to hear of your problems. BF member ard (small "a") is the acknowledged master at getting X5 issues resolved expeditiously and faiy. I recommend you use the "find all posts by this member", read a bunch of his posts for background, then reach out to him vi PM.
i
It may take you 3 hours of reading to find the relevant posts; ardis, after all, a wordy SOB. But it should be an enjoyable 3 hours, as he's also a funny son of a gun.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how you make out. (A great many of these stories end like this: "After X weeks of back and forth, BMWNA agreed to buy back my X5, and I am the proud owner of a 2012 X5D. Although we got off to a rough start, ultimately it was the best customer service experience I've ever had." No guarantee yours will work out the same way, but there is hope.

Now on to more serious stuff. Got any snow in Jackson Hole? Can you send some our way?

G/L.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Buy Back Coming

Have been offered one of two options, none with details yet.

First, is money back minus milage. Not sure if what that includes.

Second is some kind of trade to a new vehicle.

Dealer says he has never done this and BMW Regional Rep hasn't supplied details. I have done some searches and see that a few threads have details, but they aren't all the same.

Any advice?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Chatting via PM. See what they offer. Question for anyone is 'what is my state's definition of a lemon' and 'when did my car, and the repairs performed' meet that definition. Once you know that, you are in a position to negotiate.

GL

A
Old 01-22-2012, 01:22 PM

Success

Ended up with what is essentially a Lemon Law buy...k. I had hoped for real "customer service", which meant (to me), something beyond what is required by law.

But at least I received what I could have received through the courts without a lawyer, although the process is not for those who have little time and little persistance.

Once I got to the top of BMW NA food chain, slightly easier to negotiate since someone actually had authority to make decisions.

Thanks for the supportive PMs. Considering what to do with the check.......
Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
Originally Posted by martintrott View Post
Ended up with what is essentially a Lemon Law buy...k. I had hoped for real "customer service", which meant (to me), something beyond what is required by law.

But at least I received what I could have received through the courts without a lawyer, although the process is not for those who have little time and little persistance.

Once I got to the top of BMW NA food chain, slightly easier to negotiate since someone actually had authority to make decisions.

Thanks for the supportive PMs. Considering what to do with the check.......
Glad to hear that you got it sorted out relatively quickly and painlessly.

What are you considering? We're getting rid of the ML in short order and have been looking at the Cayenne S or RRS for it's replacement.

Good luck with your decision.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey