Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW z3
Terrible Tire depressing sorry of changing tire.

Depressing tire changing story

Just bought my 97 z3 on Sunday and i needed tires pretty bad, So last night i ordered 4 new tires from tire rack at about 10PM before i go to bed. The next morning i wake up to go to PT at 5AM and leave my house. Well waiting in traffic on base my z3 almost felt like the E-brake was on, I check my E-brake and tried to troubleshoot it as best as i could but i could not figure anything out.
Well once i past the traffic at the stop sign i started up the Hill and was able to get up to about 30MPH and heard a WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP, thinking Oh CRAP my tire. Pull over on the side of the road and check it out, sure enough SHREDDED my back left tire. Didnt want to miss PT formation so i called my buddy and he grabbed me in his car and i left mine on the side of the road.
After PT formation we tackled changing the tire, here is the depressing part. The jack they put in the BMW is cute and cool, but not the most stable. Sure i ll give it the benefit of the doubt because i was driving up The Hill when i pulled over so i found the flatted spot i possible could to change it, but once i started jacking it up, sure as **** the jack started to slide because the slight incline and dirt road, and sure as **** it dented my fender. Its one of the dents only i know about because its out of eye view but it still makes you madder then hell. So i learned my lessen and drove to auto zone and bought a small hydraulic jack, WORKED SO MUCH BETTER.
Put my donut on and shortly found out it was pretty much FLAT, so we took it back off and just keep my car jacked up and went to get air in the donut. But of course the air stem was broke, just my luck lol. Took it to firestone and they fixed it up For free and also talked my into buy 4 new firehawk GT because i couldn't wait for my tire rack order to come in.
So after a annoying process and a annoying dent and 660$ latter, I got 4 new tires and a decent small hydraulic jack, Guess its not all a lose lol. And the new tires feel GREAT even in the snow.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
that sucks. word of advice though. go buy yourself a light weight low profile aluminum floor jack from harbor freight. they're 89 bucks with a coupon. I've had mine for two years now. they also have warrantys available for around 8-10 bucks for 2 years. you can replace it as many times as needed. replace every two years and renew your warranty. you'll have a new jack for life for 5 bucks a year. I mark the date on my jack so I dont forget to exchange it
Old 01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 07 X3si, 00 528, 00 MZ3
BP, at least you have a spare. The only recourse with the MRdstr is to call vehicle assist (e.g.: AAA) and ask for a 'flatbed' truck to bring it home. There is no space to put a spare due to the dual exhaust. Yes, I probably could put a dougnut in the trunk, but then my clubs would have to be in the passenger seat. Not going to happen. Since '03, I've had to call for a tow 3 times. It is the best use I've ever had of the annual AAA membership

Last edited by ghpup; 01-12-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:39 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
All Z3Ms and Z4Ms came with lifetime road side assistance for tire related issues from BMW.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 01-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: z3 '97 atlanta blue 2.8
is this lifetime road assistance only to the original owner?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
is this lifetime road assistance only to the original owner?
No- the car itself. I am sure they can tell by the VIN. Of course what will happen if you call is they take your car to the nearest BMW dealership for repair so it will cost $$$ for a new tire.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 96 BMW Z3, 97 BMW M3
Welcome to the jack dent club. I have had to use my jack 4 time in 15 years. Three times on a paved shoulder without any issues, once on a soft shoulder when it slipped and dented the rocker panel. There is a red cap in the tool area under the trunk carpet that gets you access to the spare tire valve stem to check tire pressue on front battery 1.9s, rear battery Z's have a lenght of hose. Checking the spare tire pressure should done monthly as they do leak. Dropping the spare should be done twice a year just to stay in practice (its a major PITA) and to inspect for degridation and clean it.

96 Z3 1.9 Black/tan/black
97 M3/4 Estoril/dove gray
08 3400HST Kubota Orange/gray
08 GMC Sierra CrewCab

Last edited by FredR; 01-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4, 77 Porsche, 11 528
Loose Jacks Can Kill

A light weight aluminum floor jack is a good idea. One, if you have the space. And two, if it can be secured properly. In an accident, especially a roll over, a loose jack can be a lethal weapon. Both my Bimmers have run flats. Ride like Fred Flintstone stone wheels. There are some advantages, I guess. Like being able to ride 50 miles on the flat.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:41 AM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredR View Post
Welcome to the jack dent club. I have had to use my jack 4 time in 15 years. Three times on a paved shoulder without any issues, once on a soft shoulder when it slipped and dented the rocker panel. There is a red cap in the tool area under the trunk carpet that gets you access to the spare tire valve stem to check tire pressue on front battery 1.9s, rear battery Z's have a lenght of hose. Checking the spare tire pressure should done monthly as they do leak. Dropping the spare should be done twice a year just to stay in practice (its a major PITA) and to inspect for degridation and clean it.
A cheap 12v tire pump in the trunk is good insurance.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 96 BMW Z3, 97 BMW M3
The type of tire failures I've had a mini compressor wouldn't help, sorry to say.

96 Z3 1.9 Black/tan/black
97 M3/4 Estoril/dove gray
08 3400HST Kubota Orange/gray
08 GMC Sierra CrewCab
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
formerly updmst

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe, 1997 318ti
The pump is for the spare. Some of us forget to do the monthly check.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
I think I'm going to have tire pressure sensors installed.
This should alert me to a soft tire.
Almost ruined 1 last fall. Rear Right.
I drove out of the carport, and she felt sluggish and just "Not Right"
Pulled over after 1 block and found a very soft tire.
Drove home, filled the tire, and then drove to a tire shop.
They found a Gyproc screw in the tire.
But the tire was not damaged.