Around the Country in 80 days, More or Less - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM
Older than old school

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 k75s
Around the Country in 80 days, More or Less,,,er, Make That 120

A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread asking for suggestions of things to see and do to make my upcoming road trip more memorable, and with the exception of Fudman, Jim Rolando, and BioGuy, the response was basically...crickets.

When I first laid everything out, I was worried that the car would be so jam-packed, it would be difficult to drive, but everything fit pretty well, to my surprise.

So I left Berkeley CA on Tuesday, June 4th, with the idea that I wanted to make a roughly counter-clockwise circuit, going as far east as New Haven CT, and allowing for some north-south zig-zags. The odometer read 162,433 miles, and no, I still haven't replaced my timing chain guides, but I decided to plunge ahead and take my chances.

With the intent to stay off the Interstate system as much as possible, I headed south on State Highway 25, out of Hollister. I had loved it when I rode it in the lush, green springtime on my motorcycle some years ago, and I wondered if traveling by car in the near-summertime, when things are much browner, would dampen my enthusiasm for it. The answer was, "Not much."

It's hard not to get excited when you see a sign that says "Next services 71 miles," with nothing but a winding, beautifully paved road in front of you, especially if the dominant traffic on it is ground squirrels crossing from one side to the other. I made myself stop and take some pictures.

I didn't take pictures of the winding, hilly bits because I was having too much fun to stop.

I arrived in Santa Maria a while after sunset, found a motel for the night, and planned to arrive in Solvang in the AM, where I'd do some exploring by bicycle.

More in the coming days and weeks.

Last edited by bobdmac; 05-10-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Subscribed.. Amazing, safe travels. I am doing a lesser pilgrimage in two weeks, From Nashville, to Chicago, to Upper Michigan,through Canada, Down to Hershey PA, over to Washington D.C, Gatlinburg, and back home... 205,000 on the clock as of today.

I can't wait to read of your adventures.
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 528iT 86 325e 11 328xi
Around the Country in 80 days, More or Less

Subscribed as well!!!

When around Chicago let me know and I'll think of some cool stuff to see/do if you decide to stop.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, '16 Highlander XLE
Bob, guess I must have missed your request for things to see. We're doing the same thing, left from MA on April 14.
First stop was the arch in St. Louis, nice European motorcycle museum there with about 100 pre WWII cycles, then on the Albquerque for a day, Grand Canyon for 3 days, then to all of the National Parks in southern Utah for a week (nice 3 day muscle car show in Moab), Vegas for 2 days, then Yosemite for 5 days, up to Lassen Volcanic Park for 2 days, then to Crater Lake in Oregon, over to Boise for a day, then up to the Sawtooth Mountains for 3 days, Yellowstone for 4 days, Fort Collins for 3 days, Steamboat Springs for a day. Then headed to NC for 3 days.
Be home soon.
Got tons of great pics, just can't post them from an iPad.
We pretty much stayed on secondary roads with the exception of getting across the country.
Lots of nice winding canyon roads in Colorado, Utah, and Idaho.
If anyone can tell me if/how to post pics from an iPad I'll stick some pic here.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i 5SP/e60 530i
subscribed
Old 06-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Awesome thread!!

I didn't see your original thread, sorry I missed. I have done several loops through the country in a dodge caravan, can't image it in the E39!
Anyway here are some ideas:

Nevada -- Just north of Vegas there is Fire Valley which is one of the nicest national parks I've ever seen (and I've seen a ton on these trips, and I love hiking). Some views look like they should have filmed LOTR "Mordor" or whatever there. Purples, reds, crazy rock structures. Worth a few hours hiking and is area to drive in.

Yellowstone -- must make. Should be self explanatory at this point and on your list.

Yosemite -- I think you can pass, you live in Berkeley. You'll make another trip out of that.

Grand Teton - Epic mountains, not talked about enough. Near Yellowstone, hit both.

If you're going to CT, might as well make it to the coast of Maine which is epic.

Arizona -- Must go through the Painted Desert, gorgeous!!

Also, I think you should make a choice to either go up more north towards minnesota/chicago, or down south through Texas/Louisiana. I find the middle of country boring to drive through (Iowa, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas). I have cut up through Missouri which was reasonable.

Don't forget about CAVES! Carlsbad in CA, then a bunch through Arizona and Texas are cool. I'll ad more later.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Older than old school

Road trip update

Thanks for all the suggestions. Aspen, I hadn't thought about caves. If I miss Carslbad, I may make the Luray caverns in Virginia. I'll have to do a little map studying. rrtec, I'll be talking to you about Chicago, which is in fact on my list. JimLev, I'm a sucker for motorcycle museums, as you can probably tell from this post.

Thanks to all who've commented. I'm posting mostly photos here. If you'd like to read the whole narrative, I've started a blog on Tumblr: Road Trippin'.

The Solvang motorcycle museum is small, but it packs a punch, with stunning rarity after stunning rarity. Check out this 500cc V-8 Moto Guzzi. Note the build year––1957!

The "dustbin fairing" has been removed so you can see this:

For those of you old enough to remember, this reminds me of Stan Freberg's Contadina Tomato Paste ads ("Who put eight great tomatoes in a little bitty can? Contadina"), and I find myself thinking "Who put eight great velocity stacks in a little bitty engine bay?"

I love the bodywork on this 1921 Mars, with an engine designed by Maybach, the ultra-luxo Mercedes model's namesake. Note the spare tire, and I love the bodywork and pin striping.

Oops, the spare tire is on the other side:

The wooden shift knobs let you select from two final drive cogs, with two chains:

Here's an engine close-up. Note the fore and aft boxer design. Maybe the inside of Maybach's brain looked something like it:

Here's the craziest engine design ever, though. A 1922 Mergola with a 5-cylinder radial engine stuffed inside the front wheel spokes:

Again, beautiful body work and paint:

Guess what, both of these bikes were German engineered. Something to keep in mind when we question why BMW does things a certain way. I forget where I heard it, but one of the best maxims applied engineering is, "Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

More engines for us gearheads:

1940 Crocker

Henderson
(I forget which year):

1940 Vincent (note the external valve springs)

I'm way behind in my posting, with lots more to come. thanks again to all who take the time to read this.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Older than old school

I forgot to mention that the car has been fantastic––whisper quiet, well behaved, tenacious in the corners, and I'm getting about 22 miles per gallon, despite covering the mountainous terrain from Ojai to Lancaster. More on that part of the trip to come. What a freaking road Highway 33 is!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered Loser

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 550iX M-Sport
Keep posting pics of your journey, very cool!!! If you (or anyone else) are in the Hershey/Harrisburg, PA area (or Amish country), I'd be happy to host or meet for a beer.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Bob, the motorcycle museum is the Moto Museum, 3441 Olive St and Lindell Blvd. In St. Louis.
http://themotomuseum.com

I'll post pics soon, just got back a few days ago and have a bazillion things to do.
There is also another place right in SF the has about 40 pre WWII cycles.
It's a resturant/bar Capt. Eddie Rickenbacker's on 2nd Srteet and Natoma.
I've been to it maybe 10 times. The owner died a few years ago, it was still operating last year when I was there.
Got pics of this place too. Very nice Henderson from the '20's

Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM

OK, hope this works, my first attempt at using SkyDrive so I don't need to enter 49 different URL's.
Pics from The Moto Museum in St. Louis

http://sdrv.ms/18CGUqB

Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Older than old school

Thanks for all the great responses. JimLev, your link to the museum photos worked, and it may have persuaded me to go out of my way to see it. It's an amazing collection. My apologies or the sparse updates. Internet availability has been spotty, I'm tying to keep up with a blog, and figuring out permissions and organizing my Flickr account has been driving me nuts. So here's an attempt at an update. (An attempt earlier today on my iPad resulted in a bunch of question marks for images, and then I completely lost my entire entry before I could post it.)

First of all, here's an interesting building facade on Richard Longoria Winery's tasting room in Los Olivos:

The gazebo at Beckmen Winery, outside their tasting room:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8554/8...50e1eba7_o.jpg

Sara (ex-UCLA volleyballer) and Neal, hosts at the Beckman tasting room.

Kyle, Beckmen's assistant winemaker:

The Wandering Dog Wine Bar has blind tastings where you can test your wine acumen in guessing varietal, appelation, year, and price

C.T. and Jody, co-owners of the Wandering Dog, hanging out at the bar with the customers

My campsite on my arrival at Lake Casitas, near Ojai CA

My campsite on the arrival of a Girl Scout troup the next day

More to follow. I want to try to post this before I lose it again.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Bored Worker

Mein Auto: 540i/6 4/99
Awesome! Keep em coming... not thread jacking, but here I am at my second stop, Warren Dunes in Michigan...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1371677071275.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	382747  
1992 BMW K75s Cafe build

Last edited by rrtec; 06-19-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528iT 86 325e 11 328xi
Around the Country in 80 days, More or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtec View Post
Awesome! Keep em coming... not thread jacking, but here I am at my second stop, Warren Dunes in Michigan...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Ahhhhhh......Warren Dunes.....many a sunburn there as a child!!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Older than old school

Talking

More photos:

There was a bass fishing contest at Lake Casitas the weekend I was there

This paved bike trail runs alongside State Highway 33, from Ojai all the way down to Ventura

It's pretty scenic

Looking the other direction:

It goes past some of the old, original properties that predated Ojai's gentrification.

Unfortunately, while scenic, the path also has its share of bumps. I hit one, it twisted the handlebar from my grip and I went down, cracking a couple of ribs, straining my shoulder, and worst of all, dislodging the lens from lens mount and leaving it disabled. So the subsequent photos have all been taken with my iPad.

Highway 33, from Ventura through Ojai to I-5, must rank near the top of fun roads in California, thanks to its incredible twistyness, combined with next to no traffic. A whole caravan of exotics (Lamborghinis, Aston Martins, Ferraris, and probably others as well) passed me going west (south?) toward Ojai, while I was headed east (north?), toward Lebec, at the foot of the Grapevine.

Some samples:

The whole road, with few exceptions, consisted of 2nd through 4th gear turns, about an eighth of a mile apart.

These Ducati riders share my appreciation for the route. They passed me easily, using their incredible ability to accelerate and take advantage of the slightest opening.

More to follow.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Never saw your first post, but if your out his way (Alamogordo NM) we've got White Sand missle range, Lincoln City (where Billy The Kid was detained and shot 2 Shariffs) and many other Billy the Kid, old west things. I might even be able to get you up close to an F-22 (providing you pass a back ground check).
Old 06-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Older than old school

rrtec, it looks like you're having fun, too.

Here are some more. I'm at Bryce Canyon at the moment, and there's quite a backlog of photos to catch up with.

A few miles east of Twenty-Nine Palms, headed for Parker, Arizona.

Surprisingly well done museum in Wickenburg, Arizona, on US 89, headed toward Skull Valley (sorry, no photos) to Prescott and points north.

At the summit, looking down at Prescott, I believe, in the distance (and I mean distance) from about 10,000 feet up. I had just past some poor fools who were participating in the Race Across America, who were actually pedaling up this mountain, in 100+ degree heat. They race from coast to coast, with no off days, if they don't complete it within 12 days, disqualified.

North of Prescott and south of Sedona, the town of Jerome (elevation around 5,000 feet, according to Wikipedia, but I thought it was higher) is little more than a street carved out of the side of a mountain. It sprang up with the boom in copper mining and prospered as a rollicking no-holds-barred, wide-open (read, licentious and professional women involved) town until the 50's when it become a ghost town. Tourism revived it when it was designated a National Historic Landmark and it now ha about 400 people.

Looking down from one end of the street. You can see the original copper mine below.

With almost no level ground available, parking is at a premium, but I found a spot in front of the pizza parlor.

That's it for little while. Still to come: Flagstaff, Vermillion Cliffs, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, and Bryce Canyon Nation Park (where I'm camping as seen in the photo below).

Well, now that I think about it, I'm actually outside of Bryce, in nearby Red Canyon). Also, this wouldn't be a proper BMW thread if there weren't a little mechanical drama involved, would it? Stay tuned.

Last edited by bobdmac; 06-19-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 PM

Nice pics, thanks. I'll try to post a few more from our trip tomorrow. Gotta watch the Bruins hopefully put a beating on the Blackhawks in a few minutes.
We had issues trying to connect to the Internet, post pics, and do emails while we were traveling too.
Did you climb Angels Landing while you were at Zion? Fantastic views from 1400 feet up to the valley floor.
Good to hear the skydrive link worked.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Here are a bunch of photos, could take a few seconds to load if you don't have a fast connection.
Sorry about some of them being out of order, too many memory cards with different file numbers.
If you click on a pic there should be left/right arrows to go to the next/previous pic.
Didn't take the 540, not enough room for 2 of us and 7 weeks of stuff.

http://sdrv.ms/11PTtWU
Old 06-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Older than old school

JimeLev, it looks like I'm re-plowing some of the same ground that you've covered. I love the shot of the mountain shrouded in clouds. Is that the Grand Tetons? I recognize the Bryce Canyon photos, and I'll be adding some of my own soon. I'm now in Montrose, Colorado, near the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and from there I'll be headed to Taos, New Mexico. By the way, I assume Cobra that you photo'd in Moab was a replica, right?

JasonSC540ia, as much as I'm a fan of aircraft and would enjoy a close-up view of the F-22, it's just a little too far out of my way, but I appreciate the offer.

So here are some shots of Flagstaff.

Train station

Looking across Rte 66 at downtown Flagstaff, from the train stations

This is how they roll in Flagstaff when they want to drink and drive. It has ten sets of pedals

I forget the name of this hotel, but it's in the heart of the downtown area

Bench in the Plaza (I just realized that's my bike leaning against it.

I mentioned some drama. The night before I left my brother- and sister-in-law's place in Flagstaff, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Although I found what was supposed t be a reputable indy mechanic, they couldn't do anything on the car until Tuesday, which was four days away. I'd already imposed on my hosts enough, and I didn't want to overstay my welcome.

Fearing the worst, but hoping for the best, I used the suggestions I'd seen so many times in response to the questions about same problem. The Auto Zone in Flagstaff did a free code read for me, which yielded "P1346," a cylinder 3 misfire. I figured it could be a coil pack, an injector, or the plug. I bought a code reader like the one they used for about $40 on the spot, guessing it could well come in handy, sooner or later.

So I decided to swap the coil packs for cylinders 2 and 3, to see if the misfire followed the coil packs. When I pulled the #3 coil pack, there was oil on the connector boot. I decided I didn't need to swap the coils, but I wasn't sure if the plug had worked loose or if the valve cover gasket was leaking. So I bought a new plug, tightened it down, put everything back together, erased the code using my new device, started the car, and held my breath. No engine light! A couple of quick test drives later, still with no engine light reappearing, gave me the confidence to take off the next day, and I made it to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and then to Zion National Park with no recurrence.

Last edited by bobdmac; 06-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Older than old school

More photos:

My brother-in-law, with dog strapped into its special seat

Walnut Canyon, just outside of Flagstaff

Cliff-dwelling Indians lived here in the 1400's. The wall was reconstructed after it was torn down by looters in the early 1900's

This was a storage area. Plunderers also tore this wall down.

Vermillion Cliffs, south of the Grand Canyon

Taken from the Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon

North Rim of the Grand Canyon

This is one those times I wish I could have taken a 3-D photo to give some idea just how deep it is.

On the way out, near the exit, there was a broad meadow on either side of the road. I saw some cars pull over, and I stopped to see what was going on. It was this:

Unfortunately, the iPad has a wide-angle lens, making it hard to get a close-up. So I got out of the car and walked closer to the herd, until a bull raised its head and looked at me as if to say, "Do you really want to get this close?" So this was the best I could do. I had no idea there were buffalo in the park
Old 06-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Very inspiring...

One day, I may do this when I retire.

May I suggest that once you hit the East Coast, you keep going to Maine, then Nova Scotia.
Halifax is beautiful. Then drive north around Cabot Trail, the most beautiful trail in N. America.
There are "look-outs" on the Cabot Trail that you can simply park and camp (with your tent).

Lobster is cheap in Prince Edward Island.

Then on the way back, go to Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, Niagara Falls etc.

If you swing by Omaha Nebraska, PM me.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Older than old school

Zion National Park

Checkerboard Mesa confronts you soon after you enter the park.

For the most part, the road that takes you through Zion leads you deep into the canyon floor, leaving you looking up at imposing rock cliffs.

I hiked a short trail that takes you quite a distance above the roadway, and the precarious footing in some spots forces you to pick your next step carefully. In fact, I tweaked my ankle just enough that I took it as a warning. JimLev, to answer your question, no I didn't hike the Angel's Landing trail. I looked at a picture of it though, and decided discretion was the better part of valor. I later heard that a Boy Scout had just fallen to his death there.

Note the steep drop-off and lack of railings for the hikers

In this view from the end of the trail, the roadway, to the right, is pretty far down.

cn90, I just saw your post. Do it, my brother. I'm having the time of my life. Unfortunately, these days you need a passport to get to Canada, and I thought about it too late. Otherwise, I'd do it. I'd love to watch the tide at the Bay of Fundy.

Last edited by bobdmac; 06-22-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Older than old school

Bryce Canyon

As I approached Bryce Canyon, I decided I wanted to find a campsite early. Sites within Zion had been filled before I got there, and the campsite just outside of Zion had been a little funky. Red Rock Canyon is about 10 miles from the entrance to Bryce, and there was a National Forest campground with showers and flush toilets nearby, for an unbeatable price of $7.50 a night. Not a hard decision for me.

Looking back down the hill from the entrance to Red Rock Canyon. Note the barely visible bicyclist working his way up the hill from the bottom of the roadway in the photo.

This view from the downhill side of the entrance gives only the merest hint of what lies farther up the road.

As much as the scenery has impressed me, the people I've met and the stories I've heard have left an even stronger impression. When I entered the campsite, Barbara, one of the camp hosts, gave a quick rundown of the facilities. I asked her if I detected a little New England accent in her voice. "Bahstan (Boston)," she said, smiling. She and her husband Steve have been on the road for about 40 years, working at campsites all over the country. I had a great chat with her and Steve, which I'll detail when I finally update my Road Trippin' blog. She tipped me off that if I found a site near the hosts at the lower loop of the campgrounds, I could have free wi-fi access.

Steve and Barb

Safely ensconced in my campsite--with free wi-fi access!

The next morning, I got up early and headed for Bryce. I decided to drive to the end and then work my way back to the entrance, stopping at all the viewpoints.

Rainbow Point:

I met Gerald, a middle school language arts teacher from Maryland, who was on a road trip back from Portland, where he attended his son's wedding. We had an easy conversation (I taught elementary school in Oakland), and he invited me to look him up when I got to Maryland.

Each stop just stupefied me.

Fairview Point (I think)

Bryce Point

It just went on and on.

More Bryce Point...

...and still more

Sunset Point

As spectacular as these views were, a couple that I met at the Grand Canyon had told me that I absolutely had to hike the Navajo Trail loop, and I felt I'd be cheating myself if I didn't get down into the canyon. So I decided to stay two more days.

Dave and Mary, at the Grand Canyon, who recommended the Navajo Loop
Old 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Bob, nice pics. Looking at them makes me want to head back out again.
Yes, those were the Grand Tetons in the clouds, and the reflection in the lake.
That Cobra was a replica, there was a 3 day car show in Moab the weekend we were at Arches NP. Lots of nice muscle cars.
Did Gunnison last year, if you get a chance drive south on 550, the Million Dollar Highway thru Ouray, to Silverton, Durango, and then to Mesa Verde.
Pikes Peak is a nice ride up. Cripple Creek has a working gold mine 1000' below the surface that you can take a work elevator down and explore the mine during the weekends.
If you make it to MA I'm about 30 miles south of Bahstan, I'll buy you a beer.
Like cn90 said Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island and very nice. I've been there many times. Very nice friendly people.
No passport so maybe next trip.
That boy scout fell a few years ago, IIRC. When we were at Yosemite a guy fell over Nevada Falls, they found him 2 days later.
After we left 2 more guys met their maker. One was climbing Sentenial (sp?) Peak when some rocks above him broke loose and hit him.
You probably won't be in Sturgis for the little get together in a few weeks. If you ever get the chance it's well worth it, take your brother-in-law. My wife couldn't wait for us to leave, not her cup of tea!
Planes...the Boeing Space and Air Museum has a nice collection of stuff, you can sit in the seat of an SR-71 Blackbird.
We're heading to Maine in two weeks, looking forward to some cheap "lobsta".

Your misfire and oil will probably come back, just keep removing the oil and you should be OK until you have time to change the valve cover gasket.
Keep the pics coming and the blog updated.

Last edited by JimLev; 06-22-2013 at 06:50 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search