Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-30-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 98 528
Has anyone tried this lens polishing kit before?

Also, I keep reading about how they cloud up again right away so I am thinking of a clear acrylic finish after the fact. Anyone try that?
http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-h...ht-how-to.html
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbrown View Post
Also, I keep reading about how they cloud up again right away so I am thinking of a clear acrylic finish after the fact. Anyone try that?
http://www.autogeek.net/diamondite-h...ht-how-to.html
I need to do mine, so let us know what you learn.
In addition, you can replace the lens, or, you can use the 3M kit ...

Typing /headlight f3 in the bestlinks nets these:
- Headlight plastic polishing & refinishing DIYs (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) & replacing just the headlight lens (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
While the protectant may prevent future yellowing, I'm a little skeptical of the polishing pad. This would work only if your headlamp covers are not that bad. If they are bad, like most, you will need multiple grits of sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. Start with 400 and go up to 2000. I recommend a plastic cover, like Lamin-X, which will prevent yellowing and protect against further damage.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
the long way to do your headlights is the following, i did it this way on the x5 and the 540

i use a DA 3 inch air sander... starting with like a 400.. thr ereason for this is that bmw lenses have a coating over the plastic, you have to remove all of it, as you start sanding you will see when you get through it and hit just plastic...

once you have all of that stuff off andyou have sanded evenly to get scratches and pits out...
then go to a 600...then 1000...then 1500 then 2000 i use water with a little dish soap as a lubricant it works better this way
when you get to the 2000 grit the plastic will start to cleear up a bit but still foggy

i like to use transtar compund... they have one called tricut II... its a three in one compound meaning... all you do is change the pad your using to gert different cutting
so start with a yellow pad (course).... then go to the white pad(medium) .... then the blue pad (ffinal)... i might have the white and yellow reversed..
by the time you get to the blue it will be crystal clear..

i ended up doing like 6 cuts with each pad... it takesa a while...dont press to hard on the polisher or you will build to much heat and melt a smear into the lens then you to sand over again..
for the very last step i use another blue pad and 3M perfect it 3000...its awesome stuff, as you polish with it... when it builds a little heat, it releases watyer somehow to lubricate the process, o dod that step 6 times as well using a little less pressure on the polisger each time...

they will get crystal clear if you take your time with the sanding...
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
Just sand the coating off, spray clear adhesion promoter, then clear it with two part clear. Only way to do it.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528
Mine are really bad. sanding it is from the sound of it. Need to get a da sander in a few days and give it a go. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 97 &99 528i, 05 e60 530i
Just did mine with a turtle wax kit I bought a year ago. Didn't think it would work, but was pleasantly surprised. I still have a can of clear on standby.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528iT
I don't know how effective the Diamondite product is, but I did the multiple wet/dry sandpaper and P.C. orbital method (refinishing link #1 from bluebee). My lights were just as clear as the photos in the link. This is the only method I use now.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

2001 530iA STEEL BLUE/Sand - Sport/Premium/Cold Package
1999 528iA JET BLACK/Black - Sport/Premium/Heated Seats
1999 528iT CASHMERE BEIGE/Sand - Sport/Premium Package - 5 speed
1982 Fiat 2000 Spider - BLUE METALLIC/Blue