Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What is an understandable explanation of why not to use 3 blue dots to cool your E39?

What is an understandable explanation of why not to use 3 blue dots on the stratification knob to cool your E39?

From what I can gather from QSilver7 and some guy named "Dan", we shouldn't use 3 blue dots because it actually causes "burps" of hot air into the footwells under some circumstances (due either to a technicality in the way cold air hits the temperature sensor or in something called the "blending flap" or in both mechanisms which end up heating cold air over the heater coils for some reason).

The QSilver reference is here; the "Dan" reference is here (and here).

I've read them both; but, I still don't understand why BMW gives us three dots in the stratification adjuster ... yet we're not supposed to use the 3 dot setting.

Both the "QSilver" and "Dan" reference indicate the end result is hot air blowing over the footwells; but the cause and effect is different.

In the QSilver reference, the three-blue-dot cold air sinks downward a few inches to the temperature sensor -> thereby causing the hot air to blow into the footwells; while the "Dan" reference discusses a "blending flap" which causes the air to go over the heater coils and somehow that results in the hot air "burping" into the footwells.

I'm confused.

Can someone explain this in plainer English what is going on when we set the stratification adjuster knob to 3 blue dots?

The photo above is from this reference.

The photo above is from this reference, which says to use the 3 dots.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-15-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Saw your pointer to this thread from the other one.

My 2 cents: Nothing happens. I do it all the time. I set my temp to whatever I want, usually around 69 degrees, leave it on "Auto", and that's it. If the day is really hot, I set to 66. In the winter I set to 72. Same temp on both sides, and always "auto". And I hardly ever change it again.

Now lets say I am at 69 degrees, and my face or body gets the sun, or it gets too hot, I go to 3 blue dots, and usually forget it there until I am too cold or something. Then I change to 2, 1, or white line. The dots are not to control the temperature in to the car, but to setup what kind of air you want blow into your face. I normally set the 'flaps' all the way to the left, and up. I don't see any reason when you want to blow cold air downwards.

In the winter, when I hit up the car, I turn the 3 blue dot and towards me so that I don't get hot air into my face. The car is hot, and my face gets the cool air so I don't get fatigue.

Always keep it in Auto, and adjust the temp to whatever is comfortable for you, and keep it there. There is no reason to change the temp 3 times a day. Not even once a week. Just like you don't change the temp setting in your home AC every 15 minutes.

People make this way too complicated than it is.

mw

Last edited by MatWiz; 08-16-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 AM
Sandlapper Chapter

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 xDrive35i
I've always used it, in all the BMWs I've owned...first I've heard of this.
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Titansilber/Sandbeige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Blackline/Rear Fogs/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2012 VW Golf R/Rising Blue*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Old 08-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
The blender dial is strictly for the control of the air temp coming from the center vent, period. It's a mechanical mixing of incoming and cooled/warmed air.

Some have speculated (I've never observed) that using 3 dots can cause heated air to be expelled into the scuttle; when, for instance, the center vent is pointed downward, and the air sampler sucks in the chilled air.

In winter, you can have cool air directed to your face, and warm air at your feet, for example.

Noe that the A/C output ONLY comes from the center and door vents.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Bimmerholic

Mein Auto: 2001 530 SP/PP/CWP/Slush
I've never experienced the situation that Blue is describing. For me, three dots means cold ass air (usually too cold) coming from the center vents, and that's it. I have not experienced any hot air coming from the lower (footwell) vents when the a/c is running.

This is is awesome feature of our cars. Very handy.

2001 530 Steel Blue Metallic, purchased Dec 03
SP/PP/CWP/Slushbox (I know I know)

OEM M5 bumper, 40% Huper Optik ceramic tint, Dice Silverline Pro iPod adapter, 540SP radial spokes, Zimmerman Z-Coat rotors w/ Hawk HPS pads
"Mods": driveshaft, cooling system, Vanos, CCV, PSR, VCG, FSU, spark plugs, buncha belts-n-hoses, & other things I'd just as soon forget

BMW CCA member for 15 years
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3
Blue, you always bring something up new. I never thought about this and must go out to the car to have a look.
10 M3 Sedan (sweet)
13 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
14 Porsche Cayenne Platinum Diesel

BMWCCA 4215
Old 08-16-2010, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540iA
I've never experienced a problem moving the dial up to three dots be they blue or red. Here's what I have experienced living with this setup however. The system attempts to get you to the target temp you select by mixing cold and warm air. The cold air is ice cold and the warm air is hot. Your target temp doesn't change the air temp coming out of the ducts; kind of like the old fashioned lavatory sink with two spigots one hot and one cold they mix in the bowl. In this case they mix in the cabin. The target temp you select will shut down the cold or hot or both when it nears the target. If the blasts of cold or hot are too extreme during this mixing, you can roll the dial to soften the upper flow. That's it. On a related note, if it's summer and 90 degrees outside I set the target to 74 - 76. Conversely in the winter if it's near freezing outside I set the target to 65 in the car. I use these targets in the extreme hot & cold because the air being pumped into the car is so much colder/hotter that the outside it doesn't really matter because you won't ever get to the fully mixed phase inside the cabin because the cabin isn't fully insulated from the outside anyway. It's always compensating for this by mixing in more cold/hot depending on the season to get to that elusive target temp. The dial lets you soften the incoming cold/hot so you aren't in a cold draft/ hot blast while the cabin is still hot/cold. Got it?
BMWCCA#401441
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Sometimes you have to separate fact from fiction. The edict to NEVER USE 3 DOTS...was someones opinion.

The information I provided was a solution to a problem that "some" may experience. But as edjack mentions in his thread...it is more due from the way the owner may have the vents blowing. The TIS document addresses those that have a "complaint" that hot air is blowing from the floor vents....and the TIS addresses that this phenomena may occur by cold air flowing from the center vent into the IHKA's temp sensor.

The TIS doc NEVER states not to set the stratification dial to 3 DOTS (once again, someone's opinion/suggestion that has turned into an edict to NEVER use 3 dots). It depends on if you are experiencing the same complaint...if you are, then you can look to see if the issue is your stratification dial and position of the dash vents.

If you can be comfortable with the center dash vent blowing upward (or in a direction that deflects cold air away from the IHKA's temp sensor)...you probably can turn the stratification dial to 3 DOTS and not have an issue. If hot air starts blowing from the floor vents, you can either readjust the center dash vent or change the stratification dial so that there is NOT a huge difference in the temp of the air coming from the center vent versus the others.

Again, I think that some have taken Dan's suggestion (seen in the quote below) and have ran wild with it. Dan NEVER said "never set the stratified air dial to 3 dots". Some may experience the cold forehead/hot feet syndrome...but others have not. There are other factors involved such as the direction the dash vent is blowing the air...and what the ambient temp & relative humidity levels are etc. The only time this should be an issue is if you are getting heat at your feet that you do not want...that is the time to readjust your IHKA settings. If all is well...then all is well...and leave everything as you have it set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
There is a whole lot more technical info about this, but to keep your life simple you should just leave the blending dial at 1-2 blue dots in the hot weather.
3 blues will give you a cold forehead and occasional hot feet (just in case that is what turns you on)
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-16-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: E46
Wow -

I'm glad I stumbled onto this thread! I've been having this problem in my E46 (gentle hot air blowing into the foot well with AC on), and had not considered the 'burp' effect mentioned above. About 6 months ago, I "installed" a small clip-on convex mirror to view my son's car seat in the back. It's mounted on the center vent.

This is causing two things - a probable back-up of air in the plenum, and a re-directing of very chilled air DIRECTLY down onto the sensor in the center console.

Thinking this was a failure of some kind, I've checked fuses and searched for other mechanical signs. The solution I've resorted to has been to set the airflow direction to 'dash only'. This has cut off all airflow to the foot well.

Time to move that little mirror!

Thanks guys!

Ken
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540i-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post

mw
Old 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The edict to NEVER USE 3 DOTS...was someones opinion.
Thanks QSilver for the clarification.

I had also read the threads on how to properly set up the AC, from start to finish, and in there, there were "some" people, like the venerable Agent99, who said the following:

- agent99: Those of you from Roadfly (or former flea'ers), might remember the BMW-God Jim Cash. He had a very nice explanation many years ago...all I can recall from it was "no 3 dots!"
- billp: "
The three-dot blue setting does not cause any irreparable harm to the car, but does create a situation where the car will periodically spew hot moist air into the cabin in a big surge that will be very noticeable.The reason for this is that the car needs to vent some warm air periodically and typically mixes it with the cold air so it is fairly consistent. At three-dots, however, the car will hold it in until it explodes. The auto version of a burp. Jim Cash has a more educated explanation but I couldn't find it just now."
- ahem: "Set the center vent to 1 or 2 blue dots but not 3"
- fenpen: "I would also recommend not setting it to three blue dots for long periods"
- dan: "you should just leave the blending dial at 1-2 blue dots in the hot weather"
etc.

So, I guess BMW never said "no 3 dots" but others did. Anyway, it's nice to have a clarification.
REFERENCES:
Setting up Air Conditioning & how to avoid stinky A/C and smelly ac problems.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport, Scuderia
Quote:

mw
+1. This feature is very "European" or "German" as I recall my VW's having a similar feature. Primarily they like to be able to blow cool air onto your upper body and face while warming your feet and legs. This is very popular in winter, and on a long drive, as it is supposed to keep you more "alert" and comfortable. At least that was how it was explained to me many years ago.
Factory 540 M-Sport (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, H&R 15mm spacers, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
it is supposed to keep you more "alert" and comfortable
Interesting.

This heating/AC on the E39 sure is complicated. I still don't fully understand, but then, I'm not the only one.

In fact, I keep seeing mention of the 'You want to have the dial set at the most 2 dots' (like here) over and over again ...

Most of us don't know what's going on ... until now ...
(although I'm not really sure I fully understand it myself ... )
Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Ok, the comments in the TIS make perfect sense, but the answer there is more about vent positioning than anything.

As for the various posts on do/don't run on the 3 dot setting, yes there seem to be a lot of them around, but who cares if you're not having the problem.

I'm going to stick with the basics here: common sense and RTFM. 1) The owners manual gives no special conditions or warnings related to using the air blend temperature control. 2) I run mine on 3 dots all the time with no issues (and at 100 deg. a lot here lately). 3) Why would they give you a control that you're not supposed to use because it makes the car "burp"? That makes no sense.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:

In the winter, when I hit up the car, I turn the 3 blue dot and towards me so that I don't get hot air into my face. The car is hot, and my face gets the cool air so I don't get fatigue.

Always keep it on Auto, and adjust the temp to whatever is comfortable for you, and keep it there. There is no reason to change the temp 3 times a day. Not even once a week.

mw
Always keep it on Auto. And what I said about fatigue, is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
+1. This feature is very "European" or "German" as I recall my VW's having a similar feature. Primarily they like to be able to blow cool air onto your upper body and face while warming your feet and legs. This is very popular in winter, and on a long drive, as it is supposed to keep you more "alert" and comfortable. At least that was how it was explained to me many years ago.
... is exactly what he says here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Interesting.

This heating/AC on the E39 sure is complicated. I still don't fully understand, but then, I'm not the only one.

In fact, I keep seeing mention of the 'You want to have the dial set at the most 2 dots' (like here) over and over again ...

Most of us don't know what's going on ... until now ...
(although I'm not really sure I fully understand it myself ... )
Hmm... People make it complicated.... Look below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodBlues View Post
Ok, the comments in the TIS make perfect sense, but the answer there is more about vent positioning than anything.

As for the various posts on do/don't run on the 3 dot setting, yes there seem to be a lot of them around, but who cares if you're not having the problem.

I'm going to stick with the basics here: common sense and RTFM. 1) The owners manual gives no special conditions or warnings related to using the air blend temperature control. 2) I run mine on 3 dots all the time with no issues (and at 100 deg. a lot here lately). 3) Why would they give you a control that you're not supposed to use because it makes the car "burp"? That makes no sense.
Spot on.

Here is my observation. There are two types of people to use the AC.

One type are those who let a temp, keeps it in Auto, and forget about the AC. "Set it, and forget it". Those usually will have no issues with the AC.

The second type are those who keep changing the fan speed up and down, and turn the flaps left, right, up, down, in order to make themselves comfortable, in essence not trusting the Auto feature. They'll set the temp correctly for themselves (driver side), and set up the passenger to some strange temp or fan settings (to help the car somehow). Then they come and complain that the AC system does not work well.

Look at some of the threads around here, and you'll see that type. They'll give you all the reasons why they should NOT use Auto, and at the same time complain that the AC does not work well, and on their old Ford it was fantastic and they are used to use the 5 position dial.

If you have problems with you AC, and you are type two, you are beyond help. You need the help of a different profession, if you know what I mean.

mw

Last edited by MatWiz; 08-17-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
If you have problems with your AC, and you are type two, you are beyond help. You need the help of a different profession, if you know what I mean.

Just to be clear, I don't have any problems USING the A/C; I just don't understand completely how it works!
Old 08-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:

Just to be clear, I don't have any problems USING the A/C; I just don't understand completely how it works!

Hey, I was not talking directly to you. It was a general "you", based on the threads I participated in the past. If you want some specific names of these nutcases you'd have to unlock your PM (not that it will ever happen... ).

I am itching to say this after reading some of the posts here. Can I please? Here, I can't resist: "BMW engineers don't know anything about car design and whatever you do, NEVER put it on the 3 blue dots."

There. I said it. (I should put it in my sig...)

mw

Last edited by MatWiz; 08-17-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Hey, I was not talking directly to you.
I knew that. I should have been clearer since I opened the thread on a misconception that I thought it was universal advice not to use the three dots but I didn't understand what the problem was (since I'm not having it). Anyway, I now know that lots of people "say" not to use the 3 dots; yet even more say to simply set the AC the way you like it (preferably on Auto) and leave it to do its job.

Quote:
"BMW engineers don't know anything about car design and whatever you do, NEVER put it on the 3 blue dots."
Ah yes. Those immortal words. I smile every time I hear them ... (BMW engineers "plug" your ears please) ...

PS: I'm amazed at how late you east coast guys stay up; you're in NYC which is three hours ahead of me and I'm up late!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
PS: I'm amazed at how late you east coast guys stay up; you're in NYC which is three hours ahead of me and I'm up late!
I love the night. It's so quite.

mw
Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 PM

For the record, a post today 'might' be the issue discussed here where the IHKA system is fooled into doing strange things under certain circumstances:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > A/C - Heater Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasguy View Post
When I have the A/C or the heat on, I will get hot air for a while on A/C. Conversly, when the heat is own I will get cold air. This doesn't last long. A few minutes at most, then it goes back to the correct temp. There doesn't seem to be any "special time" that this happens. Just very random.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
When I had the problem with cold face and warm feet, It turned out that my mixing valve was broken, and even though the heat was on, it was still blowing cold air. I had to replace the whole entire a/c assembly.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM
I need to replace what?

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
Quote:
Here is my observation. There are two types of people to use the AC.

One type are those who let a temp, keeps it in Auto, and forget about the AC. "Set it, and forget it". Those usually will have no issues with the AC.

The second type are those who keep changing the fan speed up and down, and turn the flaps left, right, up, down, in order to make themselves comfortable, in essence not trusting the Auto feature. They'll set the temp correctly for themselves (driver side), and set up the passenger to some strange temp or fan settings (to help the car somehow). Then they come and complain that the AC system does not work well.

Look at some of the threads around here, and you'll see that type. They'll give you all the reasons why they should NOT use Auto, and at the same time complain that the AC does not work well, and on their old Ford it was fantastic and they are used to use the 5 position dial.

If you have problems with you AC, and you are type two, you are beyond help. You need the help of a different profession, if you know what I mean.

mw
Matwiz is right on, as is, of course, Q7.

I leave my car on Auto all of the time, and set the temperature to 72 degrees (22C) both winter and summer, as is suggested in the owners manual. I adjust the blender to keep my face cool and alert, or warmer, as I see fit.

I have never had my lower vents "burp" hot air in the summer (I even wear shorts, and would surely notice), but then, my blending vents are never pointed down.

As to keeping the temperature 65 in the winter and 75 in the summer HELLO this is not your house, it is a car! That must have been tongue in cheek

I believe the "never use the three blue dots" has made it's way into forum folklore, as it's been parroted so many times that some may take it as an obvious truth, like being told to always replace both $110 xenon bulbs at the same time "because if one goes out, the other is sure to fail soon thereafter"

I replaced my pass side xenon 1 1/2 years ago, and my driver's side is still working fine...

Matt, could it be that type 2 are the same people who think their house warms quicker (to 72 degrees) if they turn the heat up to 90? and the car will get colder quicker if they turn the temp down to 45?

I am quite content how the car will settle in to the comfortable (from the manual here)
"congenial interior climate, even when the air conditioner is in operation. When you start the vehicle, the system ensures that the selected temperature is achieved as quickly as possible. It then maintains this temperature, regardless of the season."

I do use the max button to cool off quickly and appreciate how in the winter won't blast me with cold air until the engine, and air is heated up (and then, in phases).

I never use the three red dots though, as this sometimes will cause extremely cold air to slap you in the face when you least expect it

Last edited by Spokane540ia; 04-26-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-05-2014, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
The simplest way to avoid the smell is to always have the A/C on and don't park the car with the nose pointing downhill for extended periods.
If you continually park the car with the nose pointing downhill the condensate water can't drain out of the evaporator as the drains are to the rear.
This is very interesting, and deserves to be tested!

Meanwhile, I came here for a diagram of the air flow, which I couldn't find, so, I'm adding it now, so that we can all find it more easily in the future:
- How to learn about and set up your air conditioning (1) (2)

See also:
- How to learn about (1) and set up your air conditioning (1) (2) & how to replace the activated charcoal cabin air filter (1) (2) (3) & what cabin filter to buy (1) (2) & cn90's inexpensive cabin filter retrofit (1) (2) (3) & cabin air filter implications for stinky gym sock AC odors (1) (2) (3) (4) & how to refill your A/C system for $20 (1) (2) (3) (4) & where to find your low pressure aircon recharge port (1) & what refrigerant PAG oil to use (1) (1) & R134a conversion information (1) (2) how to measure A C temperature (1) & how to diagnose A / C compressor knocking sounds (1) & air conditioner compressor replacement DIYs (1) or compressor rebuilds (1) or ac hose rebuilding services (1) & how to remove the IHKA air conditioning control panel to clean the circuit board (1) (2) (3) (4) with removal of MID, HVAC/IHKA, Business CD player (1), & dashboard trim (1) & how to remove the trim and bracket holding the MID & HVAC/IHKA panels (1) (2) or to replace the IHKA button (1) & how to check the IHKA sampling fan (1) & how to change OBC MID IHKA KTMP temperature from degrees Celcius to Fahrenheit (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & how to diagnose lack of HVAC/IHKA heater core heat with cooling system (auxiliary pump) at idle (1) & what is this thing (HVAC/IHKA solar sensor) in the middle of my dashboard by the windshield (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7).
Old 07-05-2014, 02:36 AM

In looking all over for those diagrams (most from QSilver7), I ran into this highly pictorial thread, similar to this one:
- What is that vent dial for?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i Blue/Sand
I have a question about the "Auto" setting. Does that cause the A/C Compressor to engage when the Interior Temp rises above your desired setting ?? I don't think I want the Compressor kicking in randomly while I'm driving.

I guess the question I'm really asking is.....how do we prolong the life of the Compressor ?? I don't want the cost to repair/replace the A/C system.