Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 525I Sedan Automatic
Need to Get My Car Up to Par on Maintenance Issues

After PepBoys fixed both my front struts and strut mounts, inner and outer tie rods, and rack & pinion, I gassed my car and lost my gas cap. I noticed it the next day and went to buy another one. Then my car starts shaking. I can feel it in the steering wheel. I can see the shaking when the driver's car door is open, in the engine and in the passenger seat as well. Any takes on what is going on? Also, I already had all my engine's belts replaced with new ones. I got my valve cover replaced because it was cracked along with the gasket, seals and washers. I also had the oil filter housing gasket replaced. I had the oil filter replaced and a oil change. I had a coolant flush and exchange done with BMW's coolant. I had the bleeder's screw cap replaced because it was crack. I had a test done and there is no coolant or A/C leaks. I mean, I just bought this car from a used dealership. It has now 153k miles. The CarFax reports states no accident in it's history, non-salvaged, two California owners before me.
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your question to the E39 5 series forum, you'll get more help in here.

Your problem could be the engine mounts?

Tim
Old 07-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
You took it to Pep Boys. You're joking, right? If not, why would you EVER do something like that?

Take it back and complain. If they did all this work, there's no telling which job they botched.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:49 PM
What Speed Limit?

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
I agree with edjack. Never take your car to pep-boys. If you aren't a diy'er then take it to a indy BMW shop or if money is no object-the stealership.

And just because carfax doesn't list any accidents, doesn't mean you car hasn't had one that went unreported. Both carfax and autocheck say my car has no accident history. But I know it has had something done. The right headlight looks newer than the left. The bumper has less noticeable rock chipping on it than the front of the hood and kidney grill. And the right front fended has clear evidence of over spray. NEVER TRUST CARFAX/AUTO CHECK OR ANY OF THOSE SITES!!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Nfs021; 07-21-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM
Bimmer Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2002 525I Sedan Automatic
What exactly are engine mounts?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 530d Touring
Engine mounts are points where the engine in mounted on the chassis.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...mission-Mounts
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Did you get a Service Engine Soon light? This can happen when the gas cap is not sealing properly or missing. See this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=gas+cap