Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5 Series
ZF 24 Transmission Pan Screws

I thought I would share my first world problem of the week. Probably only a matter of time before this happens to someone else. The 22 screws holding the fluid pan on were rusted and stuck. As I attempted to loosen the first two screws; the centers simply stripped out. So I ordered part# 24101423273 (22 @ $3 each). The photos should give a brief idea as to how I removed the old screws. Clamping each screw as tightly as possible with the vise grip, I then carefully twisted both tools at the same time until each screw popped loose. Had this method not worked, I think I would have tried a little heat on trans case before resorting to drilling. The rest of the oil change followed the course as previously posted here and elsewhere.

Last edited by juststeve; 12-14-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-14-2013, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
What size torx bit were you using? The tranny pan typically calls for T27. T25 can work, but can cause the problem you are having if the loctite is still holding.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:08 PM

I have a complete set of Wiha bits. This is my 5th E39 and the worst screws I've seen. The car spent its life with the first owner in Chicago. I dug rust out of the screw heads for 15 minutes using a small pick. I thought I could clean them out enough to tap a 27 (or anything else for that matter) into each head. After the first two rounded over, I elected to replace them all.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 5281
Torx screws suck

Noticed the pan was rusted along with the screws so that's a problem but on our car which has lived all it's life in the Carolinas and never seen salt and no rust anywhere I still had two torx screws strip out the center. Replaced all 22 with hex headed bolts and that problem is solved.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:25 PM

Thought about an alternative fastener. McMaster Carr's price was similar to the original. And the originals already have a nice washer permanently attached at the head. Although the car came with a good set of service records, there was no mention of transmission service. The lack of mud in the pan and the fact that the screws were too tight leads me to believe the fluid & filter had been changed at least once.