Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
This sentence was posted today by a new user:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
Hey guys. New to the site and posting on a phone so it's hard to search. ...
My first question is:
Q1: Is it actually true that it's too hard to search using a smartphone?

My second followup question depends on the answer of the above:
Q2: If it's too difficult to search with a smartphone, what can we do to make it easier?
or
Q2: If it's just a "different" use model, then what hints should we put here to point future smart phone users to for efficiently searches?

PS: As an aside, we should probably also list the most recommended smart phone applications for use on Bimmerfest. I'll open a separate thread on that topic.
EDIT: Thread opened:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > What smart phone applications should we recommend for efficient E39 searches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smartphone.png
Views:	916
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	363977  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: Early 98 528i
Never had any issues on my android phone, and I'm constantly searching on my phone from work. Also that is searching as a guest, because i hadn't gotten around to joining until yesterday.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM

A relatively new search capability in Firefox is to right click on any photograph which will find all other instances of that photograph on the net in a split second.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...e-my-pictures/

Note: This negates the need for these two add ons to Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...arch-by-image/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-image-search/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	whostolemypictures.png
Views:	231
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	364223  
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i Msport
do your research

3rd e39 just picked up today,
thks to you all - lots of info, finally found the right one.
2003 540i msport in mint cond. looking 4 a long time
last one was a 2001 530iA
sold with 300 well earned K's
frequented this forum as I searched for this one (i'll post pics soon)
thanks to all
I look forward to sharing stories and info.

Cheers
JCB
Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM

I just belatedly realized that the Chrome browser has a NICE FEATURE that is useful when running the typical control-F keyword search in the best links.

Firefox will step from keyword to the next keyword when you press F3 (or back when you press shift+F3), but Firefox won't tell you where you are on the sequence.

Chrome will visibly count down (1 of 15, 2 of 15, 3 of 15, ... 15 of 15) as you press the down arror, or press the F3 key (and count up as you press the up arrow or shift+F3) - and Chrome will color-code the results (shown here for the keyword "trifecta").

This counting-sequence & color coding & arrow buttons are nice keyword-search features that I don't think Firefox has.

Using this Chrome counting procedure, you can easily tell which is the latest keyword-rich line as you seek the best articles to read.

EDIT: There is this one minor problem with Chrome ... that I hope other Chrome users can help me with:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > How can I get Chrome to paste links from the E39 bestlinks the same way Firefox does?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chrome.png
Views:	863
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	370735  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-11-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 5/2000 BMW 540i M-Sport
I've been reading this forum for a couple months now and have used it to: found a PDF of Bentley repair manual Vol 1; swapped out hood & trunk emblems; restored headlight lens'; changed the oil, oil filter; flushed power steering & replaced PS reservoir; reset my 'service engine soon' light by unplugging the battery; reset the oil service bars using a paperclip; cleaned the MAF. But it all started when my windshield wipers stopped working in a rain storm. I didn't know what to do. I had my iPhone, found this forum, started reading like a coked up phonix monkey and found a 'wiper relay' potential fix. Using this forum I was able to pop the hood, pull sh*t out, cleaned the wiper relay and got the wipers to work. My GF thinks I'm MacGuyver now.

I'm going to:drain and fill the automatic transmission; install aux output for an MP3 player; and currently trying to figure out an option for my daytime running lights - either have dealer turn them off, replace the current 9005 bulb w/ a cheap blue/white bulb, or go LED w/ resistors (it's just the DRL and highbeam to pass lights so not terribly important to me at this time).

My point to all of this is I F*CKING LOVE ALL OF YOU WHO CONTRIBUTE. You guys would feel like proud parents watching me fumble bumble and stumble my way (thru your guidance via this forum) to 'successful' DIY car jobs.

Thank you thank you thank you. Bluebee, my local Stealership Kuni BMW is probably trying to hunt you down at this very moment for all the money you've cost them by helping me
Old 06-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: E39 530I
thx
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sedan
Thank you! I wanted to be able to decipher the wheel number designations and had searched without any luck...until I read this and found a whole page dedicated to the codes/styles.

Awesome!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Thanks. Good advice!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Smile New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Having been a member of this forum for awhile, I have noticed that many newer members post up a thread regarding their issue, question or problem without doing any research on their topic. Often times, these topics have been repeatedly addressed in the past and the responses are well documented (see the wiki). Long-time frustrated forum members often respond to these same questions/topics with a sarcastic or curt response (Do a search!), which then makes the new member feel unwelcomed and may hinder future contribution. This is counterproductive to the long term quality of this forum which relies on contributions from anyone to reach the "best" answer, which often is not the same for everyone.

What I would like to do here is to provide some short, clear guidance for new members on how to best search for the information/answer they are seeking. If these methods do not result in a satisfactory result, then feel free to post up a new thread. While these tips may seem to be common sense for most folks, I suspect that many new members are unaware of how to best find information on the e39. Given that I have somewhat limited computer skills, I invite everyone, especially BlueBee, to add to this thread to provide their tips and tricks for others to find their answers.

1. Searching this Forum Pretty much every topic regarding the e39 has been addressed in one form or another already. Much of this information, including DIYs are located in the wiki. Top search this forum:
a. Click the search tab arrow on the black bar above.
b. Click on Advanced Search
c. Identify any specific keywords you want to find in the Keyword box. Use "quotes" to find a specific phrase like "secondary air pump" or "Vanos seals".
d. If you know the user name associated with the thread or post, input that under User Name box.
e. In the Search In Forum box, scroll down to E39 (1997-2003) and highlight it.
f. You can limit your search by specifying constraints in the Find Threads With or Find Posts With boxes.
g. Click Search Now and it will generate your results.

2. Searching the Web Google is your friend. A search will yield other BMW forums that may provide a better answer to your question. I personally think the 'Fest is the best, but that's just my $0.02.

I would like to ask that folks do not post any comments (good or bad) on this thread other than adding to the list of ways to find an answer. This will keep the thread shorter and more focused and efficient. If you have any comments or criticisms to what I am doing here, please start another thread and flame away !

Thanx!
I am a new member thank you for the FYI. I am computer illiterate sorry, but I will keep trying to find what I need before I post.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 e39
How To Easily Find Information on Your E39 Topic Before Posting a New Thread

I just recently bought a 99 e39 and was wondering if I can run my cell phone through its stock phone system, anyone know any info?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM

• I wish people wouldn't put non-related topics in this sticky thread!
    (Note: I suggest we kindly PM that guy just above me to ask him to contact a moderator to remove the post so that it doesn't clutter up this thread). Then let me know so I can delete this comment

For the record, I want to let folks know that lately I've found there is less need to add new topics to the bestlinks as most topics have a keyword-rich entry already.

However, lately, I've been replacing all the #1 links to non-bimmerfest threads with #1 links to bimmerfest threads, and then, crosslinking all subsequent related threads to that #1 bimmerfest thread.

That way, we can continue to cross reference to the single #1 thread, which, even if it doesn't start off as canonical, becomes canonical, over time.

By way of example ...

1. Today a nice DIY was posted for the trunk latch:
- 97' 528i Trunk Latch Repair

2. Typing /trunk latch F3 in the best links found this:
- How to repair your frayed trunk wiring loom (1) & an easy fix for your trunk latch (1) ...

3. Normally, I would simply open up the #1 link, and cross reference this new DIY from today, to that #1 link.

4. However, that #1 link actually referenced a non-bimmerfest thread.
The problem with non-bimmerfest threads is that we can't easily add cross references to them.
Nor sometimes, can we see photos in those threads, and often we won't have the member settings to easily view them.

5. Given that, I unilaterally made the new bimmerfest DIY the #1 link, and then re-arranged the links so that the #2 link was the previous #1 link.
- How to repair your frayed trunk wiring loom (1) & an easy fix for your trunk latch (1) (2) ...

6. The good news is that, with the bimmerfest link being the #1 link, we can now easily crosslink future trunk latch threads to that now-defined-as canonical bimmerfest thread.

Note: Canonical only means it's the one thread everyone should go to first. By definition that is the latest #1 link for the topic keyword in the bestlinks. Even if that #1 link doesn't start off being truly canonical, like any cn90 DIY would, that #1 link can still become canonical, simply by the incessant process of what Bobdmac calls "incrementalization" - and which I would refer to as constant cross referencing back to that single #1 thread - with the result (over time) that this one thread eventually has all the information a user could need, at the click of a mouse (i.e., one-stop shopping).

7. The one con of this process is that I'm forced to create a new post (every 60 days) in the bestlinks with the new references, and that a user needs to hit the F3 button (with the control panel preferably set to 80 posts per page) until the user finds all the references - because only the latest have the most recent corrections. Luckily repeatedly pressing the F3 key to go forward (or the Shift + F3 keys to go backward) only takes a second or two - so hopefully, the resulting pointer to the #1 canonical thread on the topic is worth the extra button presses. [If not, there's always google!]

Comments, suggestions, process improvements are always welcome.

Last edited by bluebee; 08-13-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540i msport
Question key fobs not working

trying to figure out to get my keys resinked, car sat for a month had to install new battery cant lock doors with key fob, what do i do?
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 AM

Today, someone noted that they couldn't find their own threads, so, I repeat here what I wrote so that others can find their own posts, since the standard search often doesn't find them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by small_525 View Post
Hey I thought I'd posted here problems I had with alarm falsing when I first got the car last year. Thought I'd update it and well I don't seem to see it. There are plenty of old threads on the forum so it didn't just fall off. I can recall some of the comments just wonder where it went?
Many times I can't find threads that I know exist.
Who knows how the basic search algorithm works.
One way, that I use to find my own threads, is the following:
  1. Press "Search->Advanced Search"
  2. Change "Find posts by user" to "Find threads started by user"
  3. Put your username in that field
  4. If warranted, change "Search entire posts" to "Search titles only"
  5. Put your keyword in that field
  6. If warranted, change "Search all open forums" to "E39 (1997-2003)"
Doing that, I get all the threads I've started, with that keyword in the title in the E39 forums, for example.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
great message. well said. I concur 100%.
thank you!
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM

For reference, a newbie posted this today ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerboy View Post
Hi, First post. Tried to search for a solution but there are too many starter motor problems to sift thru in a day.-
I wrote back that this is exactly why this thread, and the bestlinks were written and maintained!

I find most things I need nowadays, simply by using the bestlinks (if they're well known topics). And, at least once or twice a week, I add to the bestlinks so that all repateable topics covered are adequately represented.

If only we could get newbies to read the stickies ...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Thx for the heads up. I searched and found plenty of threads addressing my issue. Thx again
Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
For me, I have found google searching better than forum searching and if you want to google this specific site use the following in the google search field:

site:bimmerfest.com with your search word and it will confine the search to this site only. i.e. site:bimmerfest.com secondary air pump ...
More on Google search in the presentation starting at approx. 0:47:00. (First part of the video is about Bing and I found it uninteresting)
http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=12437
It's not so much an eye opener as a good general educational video on search tactics. I'm sure other videos like that could be found on YT.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I

Old 05-25-2014, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi guys this is my first post I just got a 528i 98 that was put in a small ditch and was sitting in garage for over 2 years and I just got a new battery and new starter and it's running now but I started it and not even 5 mint into it being running the gage for the temp was on hot. If anyone mite now what I have to change or do paz let me know.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 525i
Butterflywishes

Yes this was me. Sometimes the searches can be confusing to a woman trying to diagnose a vehicle issue lol. My husband don't care much for trying to save money.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Bent head valves

Old 07-22-2014, 08:23 AM

This question was asked today, which relates to how to find information in the bestlinks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BbradenMmillerW View Post
I'm sure this question is best-link-searchable, (sorry bluebee), but what criteria must be met for the aux fan to switch on?
Here's my answer, which explains the keyword process a bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
The search criteria is always the same.
By design, it's always whatever the first word that comes to mind would be.
Usually it's the part name (yes, it really is that simple).
It's almost always a noun.
And, usually it's all the common ways that that noun is used.
If the part name is often misspelled (e.g., giubo vs guibo), then all the common misspellings can be used as a search, since the entry is keyword rich, by design.
Rarely, the problem is so common, that it has a nickname (e.g., trifecta) or an associated brand name (e.g., Hella), so those keywords are judiciously added to the keyword-rich sentence.
Given that, what noun first comes to mind when you want information on the aux fan?

In this case, I'd simply use "aux fan" (although auxiliary fan, auxilliary fan, & electrical fan will all work). Even "cooling system" will work.

- How to test the cooling system auxiliary electrical fan (1) (2) & a DIY for how to replace the aux fan (1) (2) (3) & where is the infamous auxilliary fan Fuse F75 (1) & where is he aux fan relay (1) & an exploding aux fan noise situation (1)
Also note, that, lately, I have been reducing the number of links, i.e., the (1) (2) (3), etc., to just the canonical link (1), which, lately, is always a bimmerfest link, and then just referencing great new threads on the topic to that canonical link.

So, in summary, the bestlinks use model has evolved, over time in roughly these stages ...
  1. Full explanatory sentences, linked to the best current threads, to
  2. A series of keyword-rich links, onsite or offsite as new threads came in (1) (2) (3) (4), to
  3. Longer and longer sets of links as new worthy threads appeared where the better threads were moved to the lower numbers (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6), to
  4. A zero notation for really good threads that came in after we already had a long set of links (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6), to
  5. A shorter set of links as we culled out the disappearing offsite links (0) (1) (2) (3), to
  6. Abandonment of the zero notation in favor of a fundamental switch to always make the first link a bimmerfest link, in response to the fact that we couldn't append to the offsite links, (1) (2) (3), to
  7. Another fundamental shift to only list a single link, even further making the chosen bimmerfest link a canonical link for one-stop shopping (1).
Note the current strategy of defining a single canonical link means that even newer more excellent threads no longer get defined as the canonical link; they simply get linked to the previously defined canonical link. Life isn't fair.

Meanwhile, I still extensively re-organize the keyword-rich sentences, as needed, and I have been taking the liberty to append all the great PDFs that come in, over time, giving them long keyword-rich names with underscores as spaces.
For example, yesterday someone asked for a specific document, which it was trivial to find simply because of the specific use of underscore in reference document names:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
I once saw a chart with common E39 wheel sizes and a speed error column. I cannot find it anymore. Does anyone remember the thread it is hidden in?
Quote:
I don't know what chart you mean, but it might be this PDF found simply by typing /_wheel_ f3 in the bestlinks?
- BMW_Tire_Wheel_Rim_Size_Chart.pdf (36.1 KB, 162 views)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudl View Post
Yeeeeeees! That's exactly it. I searched, I swear!
Quote:
Just to give you a hint on finding PDFs in the bestlinks (of which there are at least a hundred good ones), all you need to do is add an underscore to your search, and it will only look for PDFs.
So, for example, had you searched for /wheels f3, you would have gotten links to reference threads on the topic.
But, had you searched for /wheels_ or _wheels, you get the reference PDFs.
The entire bestlinks process is kindergarten simple, and always attempts to be logically the first thing you'd think of, by design (but it's always improving, over time, by the inexorable process of incessant incrementalism).
BTW, since the chart was a multi-page PDF, I just now took the liberty of converting it to a single-page graphic image; and since that graphic image was white on black, I took the additional liberty of inverting the colors (so that the chart is more easily printable for you and for others in the future).
EDIT:
In addition, regarding offsite pictures, lately, I have been checking the better threads, to see whether the pictures are offsite (e.g., photobucket, flickr, tinypic, etc.) and if so, I often take the liberty of appending the pictures to that thread (typically in the order of appearance), so that others, in the future, will have the pictures, as outside links are ephemeral. This is a pain, so, I try not to go to the effort all the time as I'd be spending my whole life fixing up other people's errors.

I also often append the snapshot of an ebay link (although I am getting tired of doing that too) whenever someone posts them, because, in the future, those ebay links are certain to be dead.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-22-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 PM

I think this discussion about how to IMPROVE the knowledge on Bimmerfest, is apropos for this standard serpentine belt replacement thread ... (where the goal is for the USER to ADD VALUE with each problem encountered) ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Alternator Belt Snap - Help
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Documenting one's work is fine but we'd have a fair amount of duplication of effort if everyone here contributed in this regard,
While I can't help but agree, we're so far from that "problem" that I hadn't mentioned what it is that "I" do, which is I look up how to do the job, and, almost inevitably, the steps are missing things, so, I document what's missing, if possible.

Or, the steps are on a different vehicle, which doesn't seem to bother most of you, but it causes me all sorts of grief. So, I re-document it - only on my vehicle.

Pictures are always nice.
For example, spark plug DIYs rarely have the information that I added from every other DIY I could find, into this thread, by way of example:
- One user's pictorial DIY for replacing the BMW M54 engine spark plugs (1)

Quote:
I think. Some people are challenged by just following the steps already laid down by others, let alone take on their own detailed documentation efforts.
Again, I can't disagree with you, as I've seen far too many people get a code that says something about sensor X, and they go out and replace sensor X, without even thinking to debug the problem (which requires understanding how it works plus a few diagnostic tools).

However, again I'll say it's rare that I've found a DIY that explains every single bolt, with a picture of each one, so, even when DIYs exist, people have to GUESS (which, for me, is a bad thing as I always seem to guess wrong).

As an example, look at the steps I wrote up for removing and rebuilding your window regulator, over here, for example:
- One user's effort to diagnose, rebuild, and replace a BMW E39 front driver side door window regulator (1)

Quote:
Personally I'd prefer if everyone on this site did some of their own 'research' before posting an issue, they would learn more in the process and potentially become more valuable resources for us all.
Again, I fully agree.

In fact, we've made it so easy with the bestlinks to just type a single word to find almost anything, and we've cross linked to those threads, so it's one-stop shopping, and we've added hundreds of pictures to each thread that they don't even have to READ (they can just look at the pretty pictures to figure out the steps), etc.

We could always make it even easier, but, it never was this easy.
For example, during my emergency belt-drive overhaul, I had to learn a ton of things, which I WISH I had known BEFORE I had started!
So, when I was all done, I took the time and trouble to summarize in these four threads what I WISHED I had, all to help others:

Common questions which need to be answered BEFORE you do an alternator and/or drive belt system overhaul:
- 1st: Physically, determine what type of tensioners you have (1)
- 2nd: Physically, determine exactly what alternator you have (1)
- 3rd: Determine which parts you need to buy for a complete drive belt system overhaul (1)
- 4th: Do the alternator and drive belt system DIY (belts, tensioners, pulleys, rollers, alternator) (1)

In addition, my research uncovered these details, again which I summarized for the next person to stand on our shoulders:

Alternator and Belt Drive DIYs:
- Removal instructions for the alternator & drive belt system of a 2002 525i
- Removal instructions for the fan shroud of a 2002 525i
- Alternator and Belt Drive DIY (1) (2)
- How to tell if you have spring-drive or hydraulic belt tensioners or both (1)
- How to diagnose noises coming from the drive belt system (1)
- One users' example of total electrical failure (AAA towed away) alternator repair (1) (2)
- Video of cold idle engine squeal (1)
- Recommended parts list for a complete belt drive system overhaul (1)
- How to make your own BMW special cooling & belt drive system counterhold tools (1)
etc.

So, the good news is that anyone coming after me (or cn90 or Fudman or JimLev or Teklord69 any of a host of other contributors) has the huge benefit of having all the information that wasn't initially available to us, but which is now well documented, so that they can start off standing on our shoulders, where everyone pitched in, sort of like we did with the ABS trifecta thread:
- How to diagnose & fix the ABS DSC (or ASC) BRAKE trifecta (1)

Given all that we've said above, I wish people would do the following:
  1. Search the logical keyword in the bestlinks for their problem
  2. Read those threads to start where others left off
  3. Try to understand the system (before throwing parts at it)
  4. Try to diagnose the problem (usually requires diagnostic tools)
  5. Follow the existing DIY (noticing where the user stumbles)
  6. Flesh out the areas where the DIY was deficient (for the next person!)
And then, I really wish more people would do this next step:
  • Autopsy the failed part & open a pictorial thread to discuss the post-mortem findings!
The forensic autopsy is key!
Unfortunately, I can find only a handful of autopsies listed in the bestlinks, e.g.,
- Bill's (540iman) autopsy of his ABS control module (1)
- Bluebee's autopsy of the Hella headlights (1)
- Teklord69's DISA valve autopsy (1)
- JimLev's power steering pump autopsy (1)
- Kraft's FSU circuit board autopsy (1)
- JimLev's throttle pedal position TPS potentiometer autopsy photos (1)
- Bluebee cooling system autopsy photos (1)
- Pudl's sunvisor forensic autopsy (1)
- MatWiz' and Bluebee combined windows regulator motor & transmission spool autopsy (1)
- Jeffinmn's catalytic converter autopsy (1)
- Nervous' fuel filter autopsy (1)
- Teklord69's CCV autopsy (1)
- etc.

Unfortunately, emergency HELP ME!!!!!!! repairs are many, but pictorial step-by-step DIYs and post-mortem autopsy photos are far too few!

Last edited by bluebee; 08-11-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:04 AM

Today, I ran into the classic teach-a-man-to-fish dilemma when someone asked for the owners manual, and then complained that the answer didn't help them (because they didn't follow the advice because it was effort).
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Looking for 2000 E39 Touring owners manual

When it was suggested to google for the owners manual, the OP replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
Just google your topic and download the manual. Or, look on eBay for the manuals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast911ray View Post
Thanks for the suggestion..although I thought it might have better luck here. Thanks again
What do you do in that case?
  1. PM them the PDF (one person offered) or reference it for them (some did)
  2. Point them to google or the bestlinks or the bimmerfest search engine (which some did)
  3. Give up and let them figure it out on their own (which many, I'm sure, did)
The dilemma is how best to teach someone to fish, who doesn't appear to want to fish but who still wants the answer...

EDIT: It happened again:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > e39 how to change ml to km
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbuilder View Post
Check your owners manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondi123 View Post
i do not have user manual, i could not manege to finde it on internet
EDIT: Again ...
It happened again, just now ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > 1998 bmw 528i wont beep when lock/unlock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jygesq View Post
Try to find on line owners manual .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian king View Post
i tryed to find everywhere, but i couldnt??
My dilemma is that I can't make it any easier to find than to type /owners manual f3 in the bestlinks.
- Where do I find for my BMW E39 an online owner's manual or a PDF owners manual (1)

Is there a better way that I'm missing so that people can more easily find the information they need without us having to point them at it directly every time?

Last edited by bluebee; 08-16-2014 at 05:47 PM.