Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
Warranties

So my car just made it to the port and its almost time to pick it up (I hope). Iím debating on a few of the options they try to sell you and would like to hear some opinions you guys/girls have about them. Now I do work downtown Chicago the potholes are more like sinkholes and they use salt on the roads out here.

Zurich premier dent coverage-?
Zurich road hazard tire and wheel-..........$ 1,493
Zurich shield (paint and interior) -..........$ 1,239
Perm plate clear plate( clear bra)-..........$ 1,589
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesandsteph View Post
So my car just made it to the port and its almost time to pick it up (I hope). Iím debating on a few of the options they try to sell you and would like to hear some opinions you guys/girls have about them. Now I do work downtown Chicago the potholes are more like sinkholes and they use salt on the roads out here.

Zurich premier dent coverage-?
Zurich road hazard tire and wheel-..........$ 1,493
Zurich shield (paint and interior) -..........$ 1,239
Perm plate clear plate( clear bra)-..........$ 1,589
Tire/wheel
I'm in Chicago too - and purchased the tire/wheel package and dent package. Within six months I had a flat tire indicator going off. Took it to Perillo and they showed me one dented rim and one cracked rim. Total damage was $1,100 which was the same I paid for the warranty. However, I've had the car 3 years now and that's the only time I needed it.

I've got run-flats which aren't as thick as regular tires if I remember correctly...so if you have run-flats I would say go with the tire/wheel warranty. If they're regular tires I wouldn't get any of them.

Ding/dent
I wanted to get an estimate on fixing some scratches and asked the receptionist if my ding/dent warranty would cover it. She insisted they had no such warranty for dings/dents. She called me back and said I did have that warranty and she's been there for over 5 years and didn't know they had it. So that pretty much told me I was probably the 1 in 100 sucker that fell for that warranty. And read the fine print...it's PAINTLESS ding/dent repair.

Extended maintenance
I know you didn't ask about this but I do use the additional 2 yr/50,000 extended maintenance warranty so if you plan on having it a while I would get that. The basic one is $2100 for a total of 6 yrs/100,000 mi no cost maintenance. There's also a $3800 "premium" option that is bumper to bumper but the latter is the sucker warranty imo

Hope that helps.

Mike
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Do some research on where dealers make money. These are designed to be a huge profit center for the dealers and IMO those prices are highway robbery.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_Doback View Post
Tire/wheel
I'm in Chicago too - and purchased the tire/wheel package and dent package. Within six months I had a flat tire indicator going off. Took it to Perillo and they showed me one dented rim and one cracked rim. Total damage was $1,100 which was the same I paid for the warranty. However, I've had the car 3 years now and that's the only time I needed it.
Which wheels do you have? The standard wheels look really thick and is only 17" so they don't look like they are susceptible to damage.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
Mike,
Yeah i didnt say anything about that because thats a 100% for sure on the list, it pays for its self. thanks for your input, i think i will skip the dent.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:42 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
I would pass. First the prices on those things are expensive. Imagine how many tires you can get for the price of the warranty. How often do people really damage their wheels to the point they need to get them fixed/replaced?
As for the paint shield and clear bra - there are third party companies that will do the same work for a much cheaper price. Heck, your BMW dealer may send your car to those locations. But nice how they add the name "Zurich" as if that makes it better.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
What do you get for a $1500+ clear bra application? My dealer does a "full" application including the entire front end part way up the hood with a few extra places for less than half that, which is still more than an offsite place.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-16-2014, 03:49 AM

Mein Auto: Looking for a new car!
You should be getting the entire hood covered.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
It seems like most cars have about 21" up the front of the hood. It costs extra, but looks better to do the whole thing I suppose, but it still shouldn't cost $1500!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app