Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
E39 Android Tablet Install

I posted this up on bimmerforums since I am on there more than on here typically, but in case anyone here has been thinking about this idea, I figured I would post it on here. If anybody has any questions or anything, feel free to let me know.

Hey everyone. For a while, I had been tossing around the idea of using an Android tablet as a headunit of some sort, very similar to the what qcdstick was also considering. Anyway, I decided to give it a go, and I figured I would share my experience with you guys in case anyone was ever interested in trying something like this (or if you just enjoy reading about E39 electronics!)

Prior to starting anything, my E39's interior looked very similar to this one (which isn't mine, but a since I forgot to take before pictures, a google search had to suffice) with the exception that mine is automatic:

As you can see, this look is a very classy look and works for many people. Although I appreciate the simplicity and elegance of this, I figured I would try something out, and if it turned out poorly, I would just go another route. I took a Janus kit that I already owned, and I used a Dremel grinding bit to hollow out the back of it, thus allowing me to bring the screen closer to the front of the bezel. I then fashioned a mounting mechanism that lets me bring the tablet in and out of the car with relative ease for updating and portability. Finally, I plasti-dipped the bezel to give it a uniform finish that matches the interior plastic a little bit more than the bezel as it comes. The tablet itself is a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab for Sprint. As far as how the audio setup works, I had a typical single din headunit lying around that had several functions that I wanted including 3 RCA pre-outs, bluetooth, and auxiliary inputs. I got the PAC steering wheel interface which allows me to control volume and other functions using the steering wheel, and I am exporting the audio from the tablet to the headunit via auxiliary. Granted, this isn't the greatest way to get audiophile sound, but at this point, I am satisfied with the sound as it is much superior to the DSP system. This is how it looks now:

I also decided to get a bluetooth OBDII adapter and use torque to obtain ECU data. This is demonstrated here:

Using Google navigation for Android has been an absolute treat. One of my favorite things is that since the tablet is also the source of audio output, the music pauses and resumes during navigation seamlessly.

Tethering from my phone allows me to access the internet from anywhere, and this is shown here:

I gutted the DSP system since the sound was not quite what I was hoping for. I did new front and rear speakers, powered by a 4 channel Kicker amp, and I mounted two 10" subwoofers into the rear deck in place of the stock Nokia baffle, powered by a separate 2 channel amp. I had all of this equipment lying around from before, so thankfully, I did not have to spend a large chunk of money during this project. Here is a picture of the rear deck subwoofers:

As an added bonus, I decided to do a brushed aluminum interior wrap to update the interior a bit. Here are a couple of pictures for kicks.

As of now, I am getting constant 12V power from the cigarette ligther source as shown here:

Once I receive the BMW flashlight to cigarette lighter adapter, this will allow me to do exactly what I want to do, which is to have the tablet turn on automatically when the car turns on (I have an app that makes it so the screen remains on while it has power and turns off when it loses external power. Here is a daylight photo of the home screen:

Here is a picture of the single DIN headunit in the glove box:

The wires look messy, right?

Not anymore! =) Now, as far as how I went about mounting the unit, I’ll try to describe what I did with some pictures here. Like I mentioned before, I took a Dremel grinding bit to hollow out the back of the Janus kit. Here are some pictures to demonstrate this:

If you’re wondering whether I used a cutout of a cupcake box to fashion the top of the bezel which covers the top of the bezel, the answer is yes…LOL. I also had to grind out some room for the auxiliary cable, shown in the picture below. Also, the bezel from the Janus kit has these metal rods sticking out, but with a tablet in place, it would not reach the mounting points, which I will show in a little bit here. So I bought some rubber stoppers and drilled holes in them. Then I bought a metal rod of similar diameter and used a Dremel cutting but to cut these metal pieces shown in the picture below. I put the rods into the opposite side of the rubber stoppers and I used an epoxy to bond everything together. FYI – epoxy smells TERRIBLE so do this outside if you are going to try this. This is shown below:

Now, for the actual mounting.

As you can see in the picture above, I put the 3M fasteners on the bezel and on the back of the tablet. I thought about getting a back case for the tablet and putting the fasteners on that, but really the only use I have for this tablet is in the car, so I didn’t mind putting them on the back. Then I used fasteners to hold the tablet in place, like this:

Remember the mounting points I referred to earlier? These are shown in the picture below. The metal mounting pieces that I made go into the rubber holes here, and this holds the whole system in place very nicely.

You can see the RCA cables and other wires behind here. Thank goodness the tablet covers this mess!

The navigation is so simple and nice using this. I just hold the search button and say, navigate to ____. I did Panera Bread here just as an example.

Then it brings up this screen, where I can pick my endpoint:

And here I am, ready to go to Panera Bread!

The navigation truly is seamless. Kudos to Google on this one. Here I am listening to some OneRepublic:

Some Linkin Park:

And here I am, watching some Dark Knight with blu-ray quality, for good measure. The pictures really don’t do the screen justice though.

Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
Wow that's an awesome setup!
do your steering wheel buttons still work [for volume control]?

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Very nice.. it's making me think of changing up my setup...

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
Wow that's an awesome setup!
do your steering wheel buttons still work [for volume control]?
Thanks man. Yes sir, I have the steering wheel controls hooked up to the aftermarket single DIN headunit so I can control volume with the steering wheel. I can even switch inputs (aux, radio, bluetooth) using the R/T button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Very nice.. it's making me think of changing up my setup...
Thank you sir. What is your current setup?
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Hats off to a very good idea and install!!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecushion View Post
Hats off to a very good idea and install!!
Thank you! So far I am enjoying it =)
Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Do you still have the MID display?
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
That's pretty sharp, and Android is a great platform for a carputer.

My only comment would be on the surround, and I don't know if this would end up looking as good as it does in my head () but what about covering the upper portion of the surround that lines up with the wood trim with the aluminum wrap you used to make it flow more continuously?
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That's pretty sharp, and Android is a great platform for a carputer.

My only comment would be on the surround, and I don't know if this would end up looking as good as it does in my head () but what about covering the upper portion of the surround that lines up with the wood trim with the aluminum wrap you used to make it flow more continuously?
Your idea is excellent, and I actually did attempt that. The only problem is that the top of the fascia is not perfectly uniform because of the Dremel work I had to do on it, and when I had wrapped it in the aluminum wrap, all of the imperfections on the top aspect of it became clearly evident. For that reason, I removed it and went back to black. When I get some time, I may use some fiberglass or Bondo or something to fill in the top and then sand it smooth, and THEN the aluminum would look excellent.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Ah that makes sense, no point drawing attention to imperfections when the setup is so sweet as it is. Certainly doesn't look bad as is.

I've always been for the stock look, but since I have an upgrade on my Verizon netbook line and seeing how nice this looks.........I'm very tempted.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
wow looks great
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo

Mein Auto: OO=[][]=OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by faruqster View Post

Thank you sir. What is your current setup?

I'm currently running a pioneer double din with Bluetooth an hd radio add ons.

2003 530i (Alpine White/Sand Beige) - 18x8.5 & 18x9.5 ACS Type II Wheels - BC Racing Coilovers - Eibach Sway Bars - Beastpower Sway Bar Brackets - M-Technic Replica Bumpers - Slimmbones CSL-Style Spltters - Magnaflow Muffler - Dinan CAI - TopSpeed Performance Strut Brace - Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Fascias - Zionsville Autosport Radiator/Fan Kit - Revmax Stage II Torque Converter - AMG Paddle Shifters
Old 01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Infamous039

Send a message via AIM to Infamous039
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Very nice install man, way to be creative.
Manual Roll-Up Windows
Manual Seat Adjustments
1-Hub Cap
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
I'm currently running a pioneer double din with Bluetooth an hd radio add ons.
I used to have a Pioneer double din as well. How are you liking it?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
This is the coolest thing I`ve seen in a long time....very impressive....Congrats !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 PM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
That's a nice prototype, refine it and you could sell it as a kit.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 99 323i, 2002 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by faruqster View Post
I posted this up on bimmerforums
As an added bonus, I decided to do a brushed aluminum interior wrap to update the interior a bit. Here are a couple of pictures for kicks.
[/IMG]
Wow, that is nice trim.
You posted as wrap brushed aluminum.
Could you give more info what kind of 3M you have used? I really like your trim.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
Super clean and I love the ingenuity. Definitely finish off the upper part of that bezel/trim with the aluminum wrap and you'll have a very OEM looking setup!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Very nice!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
very cool
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
Do you have any daylight pictures? Looks kinda of dark. To see how's over all finish
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabesJH82 View Post
Do you have any daylight pictures? Looks kinda of dark. To see how's over all finish
The last 6 pictures in the OP's post are daylight pictures of the setup

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 AM

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback! Due to some unfortunate circumstances (ie dead transmission and no time) I lost my E39 =( I will be back for an E39 M5 in a few years time though, you can count on that. To answer the question about the trim - 3M Di-Noc Brushed Aluminum ME1434. I don't think I have any more daylight pictures than what I posted already. Sorry man.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 4Dr
Great job on the install and making your own custom installation kit. I would like to see a DIN adapter kit that would allow you to pop out your android tablet or iPad mini using a spring loaded actuator. In my Google search, I found a car audio company that makes a radio designed to dock with a Tablet.
Absolute AVH-1100AN Car Stereo w/ Android Tablet !

Last edited by josemedeiros007; 04-08-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, these threads are related:
- How best to integrate an Android cellphone or iPhone smart phone into your E39 (1)
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Ipad in a 2000 528i
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > E39 Android Tablet Install
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > It's 2013: What do you currently use for handsfree cellphone & audio in your Bimmer?