Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335i 'vert: soon
H&R rear sway bar feedback?

I have an H&R rear sway bar on my A6 and it make a tremendous improvement in the handling - therefore thinking of adding that to the X3 as well.

Wanted to get input from folks who have done this swap ... did it improve anything? Any issues from this setup?

Easy DIY - Instructions?!

2006 A6 3.2L Quattro

2008 335i convertible, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Saddle, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC
2007 335i Coupe, 6sp MT, Montego Blue/Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006, 325 Arctic, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, Xenon, Steptronic - Totalled
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0
Did you make a decision on this? I have a sports package and I'm thinking it might help the sway on the road. I see you're in SF, I find driving south bound on the I280 horrid from 19th to the I380. The stock sports suspension one is 18.5mm, and the H&R one is 23mm. The Front is 23.5mm so it should help balance out the car.

Last edited by flynhawaiian; 02-10-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3
I would definitely want confirmation from a trusted source that this makles sense. H&R is a good company - but will the new bar actually improve the balance or simply promote more/less oversteer/understeer. This is where a trusted source who has done the swap and has pushed their X3 far enough to understand the difference is key. Last time I went downt his path (my pre-BMW years) - nothing but problems because the stiffer bars overstressed other components to the point fo failure. I would say leave it alone or experiment with different wheels and/or tires.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:38 PM

On my 2006 Mini Cooper S, then H&R bar was great. I'm just not sure how the X3 would stack up. She holds the road really well, but on bad road she just is all over the road. I would like to tighten that.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 2.0i, Manual, 10/06
If that's the case then a sway bar would make the problem worse, the car woud be easier to unsettle since force from one side would travel to the other side as well, wrecking the comfort. You wiuld probably be better off looking for different suspension alone set ups that soften the ride and offer more dampening. But then the car would be more unstable while cornering, but smoother on bad surfaces! You can't have everything, either corner handling abilities or comfort.... Especially in a car the size of the x3 and the inherent limitations that come from the height, weight 4wd etc it's even harder to make it drive that well.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:52 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Just remember, any changes you make will be responsible for any problems no matter how remotely connnected in the future.

Example: I had the technicians try to tell me that my car stereo installation was responsible for the latency issues in the AT problems.

I asked if I could have what he was smoking as that was one the lamest excuses I have ever heard.

However, stiffening up the suspension with sway bars will give you less body roll, but defintely make it "hop" on bad roads. I have never done that change on a X3, but have on other vehicles.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM

It's not a hope, its rather the car is moving side to side. I think the road is cut up from a bad resurfacing job. I feel as though the rear tires are swaying. I could try to drive that part without the dsc engaged to see if that makes a difference.

On my mini I installed a new rear sway bar, and that solved the problem when driving through the oxnard fiasco. Gotta love that caldrons blunder...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
How many miles are on the X3? I had this swaying back and forth on bumpy roads and it went awa when I put on new shocks and springs.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:34 PM

34K miles are on the car. I have a front and rear H&R sway bar on the way. And I'm hoping that it will help cure some issues. All suspension components were looked at and inspected, including all bushings. Everything looks good under the car. Hopefully I'll get some good information for you once I get them installed.