Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 325i Wagon; 328i Sedan
Water Pump Failure, 2007 328i

Wanted to know if anyone else has had a premature water pump failure in their E90??

Mine, a wagon, failed at 55,000 miles (only 5,000 miles over the warranty!!); dealer said BMW would not make good on it even though the part should not have failed this early. The dealer's cost was $1,400 (!!!); the analysis, which took 20 minutes, cost me $110 when I told them I would have the repair done at an independent BMW/Mercedes shop. This shop charged me $1,000 for the same work (pump, thermostat and coolant).

It looks like the days are past when a manufacturer, even a BMW, wants to keep you as a future consumer and would at least offer something off the repair cost for a situation like this.
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328xi N51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgombocz View Post
It looks like the days are past when a manufacturer, even a BMW, wants to keep you as a future consumer and would at least offer something off the repair cost for a situation like this.
I agree that 55k miles seems early for a water pump failure, but sometimes we get the luck of the draw and have something fail early that apparently wasn't made quite right to begin with. If it failed at 50,500 miles I might question their decision to not cover it entirely or at least partially, but at 5000 miles (10%) over it seems reasonable that it's on the owner. After 50k we are the ones that assume the risk on the vehicle. If we don't like paying each time it breaks then we can buy a new one or get an extended warranty (and pray that whatever breaks is actually covered).
Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Mechanical > Electric
Old 01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Mechanical > Electric
Exactly. All of this to gain 1-2HP at 5000rpm. Same for electrical steering. That's absolutely nonsense.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
The electric water pump failed on my 2006 330i at just under 56000 miles. It was 1000 miles and 2 weeks out of warranty (dealer demos get an extra 3 months and 5000 miles) and my dealer stepped up and covered everything except the tow.
Mine #2: 2012 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 V6 'Ecoboost' twin turbo boat puller dump runner
Sold: 2006 330i Silver/Black MT, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E90/09 Porsche Turbo
My water pump also failed at 50k but was covered under the 7/100,000 warranty. I have a feeling they don't last so long and since BMW has a wait til it breaks philosophy drive them hard so everything goes out before the warranty.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
My E91 2007 is at ~ 95K miles. Water pump still OK, but I'm going to keep an eye out for early signs. About a month ago, I had to top off the reservoir with new 50/50 coolant fluid. I must have added ~ 1 QT or so, not too much. Hope that's not a precursor to failure.

Thanks for posting/sharing your experience
Old 02-13-2012, 05:36 PM

Let me know if you want me to check my invoice I had a lot of things replaced along with my electric water pump.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: E91 328 Touring (SPP)
Thanks for offering this to the community here. Very kind of you.

Yes --- if I ever need to do this job, it would be nice to see the list parts replaced --- and the units of labor involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john Dew View Post
Let me know if you want me to check my invoice I had a lot of things replaced along with my electric water pump.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:23 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Wanted to know if anyone else has had a premature water pump failure in their E90??

Mine, a wagon, failed at 55,000 miles (only 5,000 miles over the warranty!!); dealer said BMW would not make good on it even though the part should not have failed this early. The dealer's cost was $1,400 (!!!); the analysis, which took 20 minutes, cost me $110 when I told them I would have the repair done at an independent BMW/Mercedes shop. This shop charged me $1,000 for the same work (pump, thermostat and coolant).

Sadly this must be all the manufacturers approach these days. I just went through a similiar situation with Volkswagen and my wifes 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg. Her car is not even out of warranty by mileage but it is by time. Ever since the car's warranty has expired (by time only) it has had one problem after another. Mostly electrical. When I asked VW corporate to "good will" the first electrical issue, they gave us a measly $100 coupon off the next service. That fix was very expensive. Fast forward to the next unrelated electrical issue and I call VW corporate again and explain we are STILL not over mileage and these issues should not be happening on a car that's barely used. We have 30k miles on it.
Their response was since they had already offered something towards "good will" on the prior service they wouldn't be offering it again. I told the VW rep after her decision this would CERTAINLY be our first and last Volkswagen. The representative couldn't have cared less.
Nobody cares people, nobody cares.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by PhillyNate; 02-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Here's the list for the first visit- 43k
water pump
set of ALU
anti-freeze

2,000 miles later- 45k
Expansion tank
cap
bleed entire coolant system-

Warranty so no prices-
Old 02-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
Sadly this must be all the manufacturers approach these days. I just went through a similiar situation with Volkswagen and my wifes 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg. Her car is not even out of warranty by mileage but it is by time. Ever since the car's warranty has expired (by time only) it has had one problem after another. Mostly electrical. When I asked VW corporate to "good will" the first electrical issue, they gave us a measly $100 coupon off the next service. That fix was very expensive. Fast forward to the next unrelated electrical issue and I call VW corporate again and explain we are STILL not over mileage and these issues should not be happening on a car that's barely used. We have 30k miles on it.
Their response was since they had already offered something towards "good will" on the prior service they wouldn't be offering it again. I told the VW rep after her decision this would CERTAINLY be our first and last Volkswagen. The representative couldn't have cared less.
Nobody cares people, nobody cares.
Sad but true. I have found in my experience that Japanese cars, have far more reliable electronics than the German made cars. Our 2001 Camry, the beater, keeps on going, has only had routine maintenance, the thing is just amazing. For the BMWs/Mercs, etc. just lease'em and turn'em in if you want to avoid the pitfalls.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
BMWCCA Member #405750

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Sad but true. I have found in my experience that Japanese cars, have far more reliable electronics than the German made cars. Our 2001 Camry, the beater, keeps on going, has only had routine maintenance, the thing is just amazing. For the BMWs/Mercs, etc. just lease'em and turn'em in if you want to avoid the pitfalls.
...and now I agree with you. I just bought a 2006 Honda Accord SE with 93k miles on it when my other DD got smashed. It feels infallible. Japanese cars are truly engineering marvels. My DD will always be Japanese from here on. The wife is leaning that direction as well.

2011 Alpine White BMW M3 Coupe 6-speed Manual w/ ZCP.
2008 Alpine White 328i Coupe 6-speed Manual/ BMW Performance Exhaust/ M6 Wheels. (Retired)
Future owner of a Jetson's fold-up briefcase car. So I can TRULY park worry free.
"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Quote:

My water pump died 2 weeks before my 335xi warranty was up in Nov at 49k. That came a few months after I had a bunch of vanos solenoids replaced but three months before my turbo died (which is why the car is in the shop this particular weekend).

Add that to the coil packs, HPFPs and transmission seals I've had replaced and you'll understand why I'm unloading this poorly-designed money-pit as soon as I can.

You asked if anyone cares anymore. Before it ever became a problem for us, Audi swapped out the water pump on my wife's Q5 because their other experience indicated it MIGHT start leaking. If this was an X5, the thing would have to crack in half and drain all over the shoes of a 60 Minutes cameraman before BMW would consider replacing it.

Last edited by bentwookie; 02-19-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
What r some early signs of the water pump going.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
Water pump on my 335i just died, I'm at 45k - have extended warranty(factory warranty expired in March), so its just a $50 deductible.

No signs whatsoever, threw up engine overheat drive moderately message and then went limp right by the time I steered onto the shoulder(all in the space of a couple minutes). And this was in rush hour traffic on Dulles Tollway.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Yeup just 50 bucks but so they don't charge you another 50 and avoid another break down, have them check-
Radiator
Expansion tank
Seals
check threads for coolant system-
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by be-em-veh-808 View Post
My E91 2007 is at ~ 95K miles. Water pump still OK, but I'm going to keep an eye out for early signs. About a month ago, I had to top off the reservoir with new 50/50 coolant fluid. I must have added ~ 1 QT or so, not too much. Hope that's not a precursor to failure.

Thanks for posting/sharing your experience
What is a "early sign" for w. pump to going bad ?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90rr View Post
What is a "early sign" for w. pump to going bad ?
I read on bimmerpost that they are some intermittent BMW codes thrown in the computer system. Those BMW-specific codes can not be read with a generic OBD II scanner.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Bad Lieutenant

What is the "out of warranty" cost on this pig? Is there an aftermarket pump, like the reliable Stewart water pumps?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
What is the "out of warranty" cost on this pig? Is there an aftermarket pump, like the reliable Stewart water pumps?
Read the first post of the thread.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Read the first post of the thread.
D*mn you make me scroll up LOL
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to VDPHB
Mein Auto: 2008 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by manutod View Post
Water pump on my 335i just died, I'm at 45k - have extended warranty(factory warranty expired in March), so its just a $50 deductible.

No signs whatsoever, threw up engine overheat drive moderately message and then went limp right by the time I steered onto the shoulder(all in the space of a couple minutes). And this was in rush hour traffic on Dulles Tollway.
My pump in my 2008 335i blew on the highway at 45k miles too. Same warnings, but didn't go into limp mode since I pulled over right away. Towed and replaced under warranty. Fun times...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:

BMW seems to get "stingy" lately on goodwill after waranty repair.
I got goodwill on door-locks actuator, intrument cluster on my E53 X5 ( door lock went bad on 5th year of ownership and cluster was on 6th year). Maybe both were consider potential safety.

On both occasions, the service-advisor wa sthe one who told me to call BMWNA.
these are the questions BMWNA rep asked me over the phone:
1) Did I buy the car brand new, yes.
2) do I own another BMW?, yes and VIN number on the second car is asked.
3) which dealer I go to?.
4) fax the title for car needing repair to proof I still own it.

seems to me BMNA will ask dealer SA on the history of the car (as far as service, like oil change, regular maintenance etc). So at the end if you spent some money at dealer on service it gets your chance for goodwill bigger.
I guess it comes back to...... NOTHING IS FREE IN THIS WORLD.

PS: people who got CPO and pay $50 deductible, well you pay forward already as well
Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Let's see, the quote I have from my local dealer is:
Engine coolant per gallon - $20.95 (will be required with cooling system repairs)
Water pump - $898.
Thermostat w/housing - $347.

Looks like 1400 is about right and, based on your indy's price, it looks like the dealer makes about 40% on the job...hey the have to make money somewhere..it costs alot to maintain the dealership, which is a profit center, after all....