Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Year 2001 SAFEST on aviation record since 1946:

Press release: 2001 safest year for civil aviation since 1946

Date: 2 January 2002
the Aviation Safety Network / Harro Ranter

The Aviation Safety Network today released the 2001 airliner accident statistics showing again a
decrease in the total number of fatal multi-engined airliner accidents; Africa and South- and Central
American were relatively the most unsafe continents, while Asia shows a remarkable
decrease in accidents for five years in a row.

In the year 2001 a total of 34 fatal multi-engined airliner accidents caused fatal injuries to 1118
occupants. An estimated 2645 people on the ground were killed. This number includes the estimated
death toll of 2510 fatalities in both New York WTC towers and 125 fatalities in the Pentagon,
Washington.The number of 34 fatal accidents makes 2001 the safest year since 1946,
together with 1984. The average number of fatal accidents over the 1991-2000 period is 48 accidents
per year. On the other hand, 2001 suffered the highest number of airliner occupant- and ground
fatalities ever as a result of the tragic September 11 events. Excluding ground fatalities, the
number of casualties was below the 30-year average.

The 2001 fatality rate (percentage of occupants killed in fatal airliner accidents) of 90% was higher
than the 1991-2000 average of 72%.

The countries were most accidents happened were the United States and Russia with 7 and 4 fatal
airliner accidents respectively.
Africa is the most unsafe continent. Almost 12% of all fatal airliner accidents happened in Africa, while
Africa only accounts for approximately 3 percent of all world aircraft departures. South and Central
America account for 9 percent of world departures, but suffered 7 out of the 34 accidents. A
remarkable development can be seen in Asia where the number of
fatal airliner accidents has been gradually falling for five years in a row, from 15 fatal accidents in
1997 to just 4 fatal accidents in 2001.

Analyzing last year's accidents and comparing them with the four aviation
safety priorities, identified by the Flight Safety Foundation (FSF), it can be concluded that much work
still needs to be done:

* Controlled flight into terrain (CFIT)
Around 4 CFIT or CFIT related accidents happened in 2001.

* Approach and landing
Around 13 accidents happened in the approach and landing phase last year.
On November 24 for instance, a Crossair Avro RJ.100 descended below minimum descent altitude and
collided with terrain while on a nighttime VOR/DME approach to Zürich. Twenty-four occupants did not
survive the accident.

* Loss of control
At least 9 accidents last year can be attributed to a loss of control of
some kind. On November 12 for instance, an American Airlines Airbus A.300
crashed after takeoff from New York following the separation of the tailfin.

* Human factors
It's too early to tell in what cases flightcrew actions caused or contributed to the accidents in 2001.
Preliminary investigation results indicate that flightcrew actions may have played a role in the July 4
accident involving a Vladivostokavia Tupolev 154 near Irkutsk, Russia. All 145 occupants did not
survive the crash which happened when the aircraft
entered a flat spin on a nighttime approach. Please bear in mind that human
factors does not mean "pilot error"; in human factors it is important to
determine which mistakes were made, why, under what circumstances etc.

Apart from these four FSF identified priorities, the most talked-about
issue this year obviously was aviation security, both on the ground and in
the air. Following the September 11 hijackings many airlines took action,
a.o. by strengthening cockpit doors and by making procedural changes. Airport and airplane security
will no doubt be the number one priority for aviation regulators and the aviation industry in 2002.

The figures have been compiled using the airliner accident database of the
Aviation Safety Network, the Internet leader in aviation safety
information. The Aviation Safety Network uses information from authoritative sources like NTSB, ICAO
etc.The goal of the Aviation Safety Network is to provide everyone with a (professional) interest in
aviation with up-to-date, complete and reliable authoritative information on airliner accidents and
safety issues.

More information http://aviation-safety.net http://aviation-safety.net/statistics/2001stats.html
(statistical roundup of 2001) http://aviation-safety.net/database/2001/ (all fatal airliner accidents -
2001) http://aviation-safety.net/interactive/2001map.html (world map showing fatal accident spread
2001)
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
Not a very safe year for airline stocks, huh Rip? Saw that Boeing was the worst performaning DOW stock from '01 w/ a 41% drop.
Old 01-02-2002, 12:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Flying.

Comforting numbers at least.

I have flown a lot since 11 September, and was even scheduled to fly out of JFK to Seattle on the day that that AA flight crashed in Queens (flew out of Hartford, CT instead). I made six different intra-US flights while I was there for five weeks and I have to say that it is a new thing to fly these days.

Man, I hope that security in Europe gets serious too. There were no security checks at all when we left Finland; the hardest part of all was getting out of the Sea-tac - and we had already been through two airports and three flights.

Patrick
Old 01-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
Yes, for Blue Chip status, Boeings stock was severely impacted by a number of things, including 9-11.

Most people I know today are not afraid of flying as much as they are not going to bother since there may be a 3 hour wait to board an aircraft...
Old 01-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Yes, for Blue Chip status, Boeings stock was severely impacted by a number of things, including 9-11.

Most people I know today are not afraid of flying as much as they are not going to bother since there may be a 3 hour wait to board an aircraft...
And Sea-Tac is a miserable example of this! 20 people missed my SEA-JFK flight because they got stuck in the security check. More room for the rest of us - it was an Airbus ...

Patrick
Old 01-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
It will always be much more dangerous driving your BMW down the street that sitting in an airliner.

I just need to convince my wife of that (or maybe I shouldn't!).

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!