Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 11-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: F10 530d M-Sport
mid CBS DYI oil change - under warranty

Hello All,

I have searched a lot but could not find clear answer on the below question. Apologies if this was discussed somewhere.

Would it be possible to DYI change my oil in between the CBS intervals (the car is still under warranty)? What I am looking into is to change the oil and if possible the filter without registering this in the board computer and not voiding the warranty. For the CBS service I would still visit the dealer.

It is not matter of cost but rather to make sure it is done correctly. Let's say the dealers around me are not very reputable.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 11-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitakam View Post
Hello All,

I have searched a lot but could not find clear answer on the below question. Apologies if this was discussed somewhere.

Would it be possible to DYI change my oil in between the CBS intervals (the car is still under warranty)? What I am looking into is to change the oil and if possible the filter without registering this in the board computer and not voiding the warranty. For the CBS service I would still visit the dealer.

It is not matter of cost but rather to make sure it is done correctly. Let's say the dealers around me are not very reputable.

Thanks in advance
You definitely can do it. Just remember to tell the shop performing the oil change to not reset the CBS. If you brought it to the dealer to do the oil change they would probably still reset it even if you asked them not to.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: F10 530d M-Sport
dagoo98, thanks a lot.

Can I change also the oil filter? What I worry is if that will not come up later on the Diagnostic Comp when I visit the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoo98 View Post
You definitely can do it. Just remember to tell the shop performing the oil change to not reset the CBS. If you brought it to the dealer to do the oil change they would probably still reset it even if you asked them not to.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i
You'll need to determine the torque values for the drain plug and filter housing cap. For the N55 (535i) it's 25 N-m (18.4 lb-ft) for both. You'll also need to determine the oil capacity and the correct filter element (possibly different for a diesel). You'll also need to use a BMW LL04 spec oil, specifically made for modern diesel engines. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 meets BMW LL04, and it readily available: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...la_5W-30.aspx#

A BMW filter "kit" comes with O-rings for the filter housing and a crush washer for the drain plug. They're cheaper on line than at the dealer's parts counter.