Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Is it true what they say about first model year cars?

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking to buy the new F30 in February (if i can get one).

I am 24 years old, have a great job, and born with a genetic disease (CF).

For the longest time I have wanted a BMW, almost got one a few months ago until I heard about the F30. So I have decided to wait for the new model but people are telling me never buy the first year model because of the problems it will have and they get worked out in later months.

While I would like to wait for a new car, I really want to buy a new BMW soon because like I said earlier I was born with an illness with a life expectancy of 30-35 years. Not looking for any pity, just setting the background for why I want a car so I can enjoy it for a while.

I have one bill because I still live at home and yes I do plan to live at home for a while because my brother died recently and my mother is a mess so I can't leave her alone, she may be suicidal.

Anyway, just to ease my thoughts, buying a new model, good or bad idea?
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
mikepinkerton mikepinkerton is offline
Registered Drooler
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
I have owned both "first year" E90 sedan models (06 and 09) and I haven't had any problems. There were people who had problems with the new engine in the 335 (first turbo engine), but it's been a few years since and these aren't brand new engines anymore. In addition, most of the "new technology" has already been in the X3 for over a year now so there's been time to work out the kinks.

I'm getting the F30 in a few months, I'm not concerned at all. Get the car, you'll love it, welcome to the club!
-Mike
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
I have owned both "first year" E90 sedan models (06 and 09) and I haven't had any problems. There were people who had problems with the new engine in the 335 (first turbo engine), but it's been a few years since and these aren't brand new engines anymore. In addition, most of the "new technology" has already been in the X3 for over a year now so there's been time to work out the kinks.

I'm getting the F30 in a few months, I'm not concerned at all. Get the car, you'll love it, welcome to the club!
-Mike
Yea that's what I thought, while it is 'new' most of the stuff has been used in other cars already.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking to buy the new F30 in February (if i can get one).

I am 24 years old, have a great job, and born with a genetic disease (CF).

For the longest time I have wanted a BMW, almost got one a few months ago until I heard about the F30. So I have decided to wait for the new model but people are telling me never buy the first year model because of the problems it will have and they get worked out in later months.

While I would like to wait for a new car, I really want to buy a new BMW soon because like I said earlier I was born with an illness with a life expectancy of 30-35 years. Not looking for any pity, just setting the background for why I want a car so I can enjoy it for a while.

I have one bill because I still live at home and yes I do plan to live at home for a while because my brother died recently and my mother is a mess so I can't leave her alone, she may be suicidal.

Anyway, just to ease my thoughts, buying a new model, good or bad idea?
YES...absolutly, I swore off "1st yr.cars LONG ago... BIG mistake, things need to be worked out or discovered by actual road use...
Third year or later is best.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
YES...absolutly, I swore off "1st yr.cars LONG ago... BIG mistake, things need to be worked out or discovered by actual road use...
Third year or later is best.
i don't get this, you're saying swearing off first year cars was a big mistake yet you say waiting til third year is good? sounds contradictory.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i don't get this, you're saying swearing off first year cars was a big mistake yet you say waiting til third year is good? sounds contradictory.
Sorry, no let me rephrase that...by inserting buying 1st year cars, "BIG" mistake.
Better?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
Sorry, no let me rephrase that...by inserting buying 1st year cars, "BIG" mistake.
Better?
yes. so would you say it's better to buy a used 2011 with a higher APR? besides, the engine isn't new, just new to that series, what do you see as a major problem?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Saintor's Avatar
Saintor Saintor is offline
Abuser of everything
Location: MTL
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,729
Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
For the relevant point, I wouldn't worry about the initial quality F30 ... F017/F10 and others recent BMW were ok 1st year.
__________________
2007 E90 AW 323i Step | Lowered 1.25"/1" | BMW Performance Exhaust | Debadged | Scangauge II | Style 162 18" & 161 17" wheels & rear 15mm spacers
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
yes. so would you say it's better to buy a used 2011 with a higher APR? besides, the engine isn't new, just new to that series, what do you see as a major problem?
I would rather buy the last year of outgoing TECH...than the 1st year of new TECH.
Yes, I would, always.
Wait.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
now driving number eight!
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,171
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
My experience ..... bought the new 2011 F10 last year when it first came out ...... no issues related to the new model year with now 13,000 miles and 15 or so months under my belt.

The joy of driving the newest model trumps waiting and buying later in the 6 or 7 year model run.

The 3 Series is a huge seller for BMW and they aren't going to make you the test site for the F30.

I'd say get it and I may myself to replace my wife's 2009 328i.
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
My experience ..... bought the new 2011 F10 last year when it first came out ...... no issues related to the new model year with now 13,000 miles and 15 or so months under my belt.

The joy of driving the newest model trumps waiting and buying later in the 6 or 7 year model run.

The 3 Series is a huge seller for BMW and they aren't going to make you the test site for the F30.

I'd say get it and I may myself to replace my wife's 2009 328i.
For sure, i had 2 new 335's when they first came out with the N54, never had an issue with both, other than something small, speaker blown.... And anytime i do have a problem, they put me in a nice loaner, usually a 328 coupe or sometimes a 335 conv
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
I would rather buy the last year of outgoing TECH...than the 1st year of new TECH.
Yes, I would, always.
Wait.
seems like everyone else says it's a good idea except you lol. there really is no new tech, it's all from previous years or models rolled into a new look.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
seems like everyone else says it's a good idea except you lol. there really is no new tech, it's all from previous years or models rolled into a new look.
No, not everybody.
I'll just wait for the F80...better car anyway, by then proven base.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
No, not everybody.
I'll just wait for the F80...better car anyway, by then proven base.
wish i could afford that...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:17 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,990
Mein Auto: '11 335d
Normally I would be in the avoid the first year group. However, if I knew my life expectancy was another 10-20 years I wouldn't wait around for jack. In the big scheme of things what's a few car troubles relative to maxing out your happiness? Get an F30 now and enjoy it and your life to the max. Perhaps you can lease it so that if it turns out to have more bugs than you care for you can turn it in in 3 years and move on to something new like an M3.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:34 PM
16n69 16n69 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LV NV
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 513
Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Normally I would be in the avoid the first year group. However, if I knew my life expectancy was another 10-20 years I wouldn't wait around for jack. In the big scheme of things what's a few car troubles relative to maxing out your happiness? Get an F30 now and enjoy it and your life to the max. Perhaps you can lease it so that if it turns out to have more bugs than you care for you can turn it in in 3 years and move on to something new like an M3.
Not a bad strategy...but as for me, I'd rather enjoy 3 more with the E9x M3...the F30 has nothing to offer over a E9x M3
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is offline
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,990
Mein Auto: '11 335d
OP Actually in thinking more about your situation I would be doing a series of 1-2 year leases from here on out if I were you. Experience as many new and interesting cool cars as I could. I'd start with an E92 M3, then a Porsche Cayman, Audi S4, Corvette, Mustang GT, back to Bimmer etc.

And if at all possible try to do European delivery to max out the experience.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878

Last edited by 3ismagic#; 01-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:47 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
OP Actually in thinking more about your situation I would be doing a series of 1-2 year leases from here on out if I were you. Experience as many new and interesting cool cars as I could. I'd start with an E92 M3, then a Porsche Cayman, Audi S4, Corvette, Mustang GT, back to Bimmer etc.
i drive about 20,000 miles a year, probably more. is this possible?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i drive about 20,000 miles a year, probably more. is this possible?
wow, you need something new, and get the extended warranty to 100,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM
LS2 MN6 LS2 MN6 is offline
Automotive Supplier
Location: Metro Detroit
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
2012 is a short model year, some options won't come until 2013. I'd wait personally.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
2012 is a short model year, some options won't come until 2013. I'd wait personally.
like m-sport and xdrive? i personally don't want either, unless there is more.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM
LS2 MN6 LS2 MN6 is offline
Automotive Supplier
Location: Metro Detroit
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
like m-sport and xdrive? i personally don't want either, unless there is more.
I'd expect BMW to ease up on the color combinations and other options packages. 1st year of production is about tight quality control in manufacturing (to ensure a good build), once the basic process is proved out they can add some flexibility.

The problems one sees in typical 1st year cars isn't from poor manufacturing but unfinished part design, depending on how much of the F30 is carryover from other BMW's this might not even be an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,608
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking to buy the new F30 in February (if i can get one).

I am 24 years old, have a great job, and born with a genetic disease (CF).

For the longest time I have wanted a BMW, almost got one a few months ago until I heard about the F30. So I have decided to wait for the new model but people are telling me never buy the first year model because of the problems it will have and they get worked out in later months.

While I would like to wait for a new car, I really want to buy a new BMW soon because like I said earlier I was born with an illness with a life expectancy of 30-35 years. Not looking for any pity, just setting the background for why I want a car so I can enjoy it for a while.

I have one bill because I still live at home and yes I do plan to live at home for a while because my brother died recently and my mother is a mess so I can't leave her alone, she may be suicidal.

Anyway, just to ease my thoughts, buying a new model, good or bad idea?
Every BMW I've ever owned, save for one, has been a first year vehicle. While I've only owned one of them since new (1999 328i) I haven't had any issues with first year vehicles.

With that said no matter how much BMW tries earlier models are going to have issues which will be resolved in later models. However they don't tend to be show stoppers and most issues will be handled under warranty / recall.

The only reason I may not want to consider a first year BMW has nothing to do with reliability but rather features. As already mentioned the AWD won't be released until later this year. And the coupes, convertibles, and wagons (if there will be one) won't be released for the 2012 model year.

Then there's BMW's history of "increasing engine displacement" in later model years. The E36 initially saw a 325. Three years later engine out was increased with the 328. The E46 saw increases from the 323 / 328 to 325 / 330 after two years. The E90 was initially released as a 325 / 330 and was subsequently replaced by the 328 and 335 after the first year.

And finally later models tend to have available more options. For instance the E9x line didn't originally offer a heated steering wheel. I've also seen later model E9x series with front Park Distance Control, which wasn't offered in the earlier models (or was this a special order option?).

My recommendation is not to wait based on reliability. Yes it's likely to have more issues than later models. That's just common sense. However it's been my experience they're not issues that BMW won't address under warranty / recall.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM
SoonerJohn SoonerJohn is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 257
Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan (F30)
Go for it! Sounds like you're in a good financial situation, so look at it this way: if it turns out to be great and reliable (which I truly think it will be - I have one on order) then you'll get to enjoy driving a hot new Bimmer! If it turns out to suck (which I don't think it will), the worst case is that you take a hit on selling it and replacing it with something else - not the end of the world.

Just my $0.02 worth
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Every BMW I've ever owned, save for one, has been a first year vehicle. While I've only owned one of them since new (1999 328i) I haven't had any issues with first year vehicles.

With that said no matter how much BMW tries earlier models are going to have issues which will be resolved in later models. However they don't tend to be show stoppers and most issues will be handled under warranty / recall.

The only reason I may not want to consider a first year BMW has nothing to do with reliability but rather features. As already mentioned the AWD won't be released until later this year. And the coupes, convertibles, and wagons (if there will be one) won't be released for the 2012 model year.

Then there's BMW's history of "increasing engine displacement" in later model years. The E36 initially saw a 325. Three years later engine out was increased with the 328. The E46 saw increases from the 323 / 328 to 325 / 330 after two years. The E90 was initially released as a 325 / 330 and was subsequently replaced by the 328 and 335 after the first year.

And finally later models tend to have available more options. For instance the E9x line didn't originally offer a heated steering wheel. I've also seen later model E9x series with front Park Distance Control, which wasn't offered in the earlier models (or was this a special order option?).

My recommendation is not to wait based on reliability. Yes it's likely to have more issues than later models. That's just common sense. However it's been my experience they're not issues that BMW won't address under warranty / recall.
thanks for the amazing post, i feel much better now. although i am a sucker for options, i think even the ones they offer now, i only want 2-3 of them. i really don't ever see myself using the options that 'assist' me like lane departure or the parking cameras, i can do those fine myself, and others like moonroof, i've always had one and love it. i have heated seats now and i hardly use them so i'm debating if i want that or not still.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms