Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,138
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking to buy the new F30 in February (if i can get one).

I am 24 years old, have a great job, and born with a genetic disease (CF).

For the longest time I have wanted a BMW, almost got one a few months ago until I heard about the F30. So I have decided to wait for the new model but people are telling me never buy the first year model because of the problems it will have and they get worked out in later months.

While I would like to wait for a new car, I really want to buy a new BMW soon because like I said earlier I was born with an illness with a life expectancy of 30-35 years. Not looking for any pity, just setting the background for why I want a car so I can enjoy it for a while.

I have one bill because I still live at home and yes I do plan to live at home for a while because my brother died recently and my mother is a mess so I can't leave her alone, she may be suicidal.

Anyway, just to ease my thoughts, buying a new model, good or bad idea?
GO FOR IT!!!!! It will be fine. The 335 motor is in its third year, regarding the 328, BMW has been building four cylinders forever. Virtually all of the technology has been test out in the higher lines.

If you can, treat yourself to a loaded Sport line with the M Adaptive suspension and do European Delivery (look in our ED forum) with Performance Center Re-delivery. Maybe you could see Europe with your mother. It will be an experience you will love and will never forget.

Contact Adrian Avila in Atlanta. He is a forum sponsor and will make a European Delivery very smooth. He does out of town sales all the time.

I own a first year, 2006, E90 330i.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-15-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,138
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
i drive about 20,000 miles a year, probably more. is this possible?
Yes, you can do that and it might be a good plan for you. In the Ask a Dealer forum read up on Multiple Security Deposits, which you can use to lower the Money Factor; lease term for interest rate. You multiply the MF by 2,400 to convert it to an interest rate. You get the MSDs back and the lower MF/interest rate can actually make this turn out to be a good investment.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-15-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 AM
sunxnus sunxnus is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 164
Mein Auto: Lexus/VW
I disagree with this three years analogy. If everyone thinks this way and wait till the third year, then the car would never get the enough road test it needs to iron out all the wrinkles. Just imagine if this same analogy applies to Boeing, no one would want to fly. Car is a blackbox solution and BMW isn't MS Windows, so you don't need to wait for version 3.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
johnc_22's Avatar
johnc_22 johnc_22 is offline
Squeal like a BMW
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6,586
Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
2012 is a short model year, some options won't come until 2013. I'd wait personally.
+1

The 2012 configurations are restrictive, and any major issues should be resolved by then. Hopefully the 2013 will have better paint/interior options.
__________________
2013 Audi A4 - Premium+/Sport/MMI/B+O Audio
2007 BMW E90 335i (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 AM
kck7 kck7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: N. Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 387
Mein Auto: 2011 X535D/2011 335IS cv
OP, every answer you've received so far has been 100% correct. That's the nature of opinion, which is what you asked for.

Put me down for being in agreement with 3ismagic# btw. Buy now, play now... time is short for all of us. Some know it, some don't. Since you are in the former camp and in a way have the advantage of knowing for sure (dubious advantage I know), act now and fret... never.

Remember, BMWs come with a warranty. Tomorrow doesn't.

Last edited by kck7; 01-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 371
Mein Auto: '13 328xi
bcl0328, here's my story and my .02.

Last summer I lost a good friend in an airplane accident. At the funeral, I spied a spiffy new Bimmer at the cemetery and mentioned it to a fellow mourner. He looked at me and said, "Tomorrow is promised to no one. Go for the BMW". So now I am. You should too.

Let us know what you get.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Scorchpa Scorchpa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 335 ix
Absolutely 100% get it now!!!

BMW will stand behind their vehicles, and they will fix any problems that arise. I don't think anyone here will disagree that statistically, on average, the 2012 will be in the shop more than the 2013. BMW will collect records of all warranty incidences on the 2012, prioritize them based on how often they happen, and how much it costs to fix them, then improve that for the next model year. But, the car is still under warranty, so you are risking maybe an extra 3-4 days in the shop over the term of your lease. BIG DEAL... I would rather be one of the first ones driving around in a new model BMW. Getting all the stares as you roll up to a stop light and people saying "wow... is that the new 3-series??"

Take the Plunge!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kck7 View Post
remember, BMWs come with a warranty. Tomorrow doesn't.
That is good advice for everything one encounters during their life!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-17-2012, 05:00 PM
volsfan0911's Avatar
volsfan0911 volsfan0911 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 336
Mein Auto: '10 VW GTI
Great post - very true.

1st year? Buy the damned thing and be happy if that's what you want. I took a shot and got a 1st year 2010 Mk VI GTI. Zero problems, love the thing. If you run into issues, make your dealer take care of you.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Snareman's Avatar
Snareman Snareman is offline
Leave gun. Take Canoli.
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,007
Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
I owned a 335 the first year and while I'll say that I had more problems with that car than my previous 4 cars (Honda and Infiniti) combined, I don't think it was a 1st year thing. I had 2 fuel pumps go out, which I also had on my 09. Brake lights and I think they had to replace the radio, but I didn't really chalk any of them up to being a 1st year thing. As has been said, all of the tech has been passed down from 5's and 7's where its been vetted and improved. I don't see a real reason to get a current M3 unless you really want all that extra power. I'd take all the new tech and looks over the current, but still very cool, M3.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 AM
Tom K. Tom K. is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,581
Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Every BMW I've ever owned, save for one, has been a first year vehicle. While I've only owned one of them since new (1999 328i) I haven't had any issues with first year vehicles.

With that said no matter how much BMW tries earlier models are going to have issues which will be resolved in later models. However they don't tend to be show stoppers and most issues will be handled under warranty / recall.

The only reason I may not want to consider a first year BMW has nothing to do with reliability but rather features. As already mentioned the AWD won't be released until later this year. And the coupes, convertibles, and wagons (if there will be one) won't be released for the 2012 model year.

Then there's BMW's history of "increasing engine displacement" in later model years. The E36 initially saw a 325. Three years later engine out was increased with the 328. The E46 saw increases from the 323 / 328 to 325 / 330 after two years. The E90 was initially released as a 325 / 330 and was subsequently replaced by the 328 and 335 after the first year.

And finally later models tend to have available more options. For instance the E9x line didn't originally offer a heated steering wheel. I've also seen later model E9x series with front Park Distance Control, which wasn't offered in the earlier models (or was this a special order option?).

My recommendation is not to wait based on reliability. Yes it's likely to have more issues than later models. That's just common sense. However it's been my experience they're not issues that BMW won't address under warranty / recall.
+1. I've owned the first year model of the Z3 2.8 ('97), E46 328i ('99), Z4 ('03) and 128i ('08). While the Z3 had a number of issues during the first year, all were promptly fixed under warranty with loaner vehicles always available. The others were essentially trouble free.

Buy what you want when you want it and enjoy!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-18-2012, 08:33 AM
rbe rbe is online now
Registered User
Location: OC California
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 81
Mein Auto: F30 328i, Corvette C5 Z51
Despite all of their testing, they can miss simple things the first year. I got a first year X-3 and there is no door/hatch ajar light. It still bugs me, it's easy to drive off with one of those partially shut. They fixed it the next year.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:51 AM
robertb_in_dc robertb_in_dc is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, DC
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2009 335d SG/Black
I'm waiting on my new 335i that was built last week so I'm not worried. I had a 2002 325i which was the 4th year of the e46 which was its "LCI" or design refresh year. It was a great car. Underpowered, but the smoothest shifting automatic I've ever driven. No problems in the 3 years I owned it. I then bought the 2006 330i on the first day it was released in May 2005. It was the brand new e90 series and that car was a letdown in terms of refinement to me compared to the e46. However, it was solid as a rock and completely reliable for the three years I owned it. I now have a 2009 335d which is the refresh year for the e90 and I think this car is the finest automobile I've ever owned. The transmission is still not as smooth as the '02 325i, but the whole car feels so much more refined than the '06 330i. Even though they're basically the same car with different engines and a few different body panels, the 3 years of refinement between launch of the '06 e90 and the '09 e90 LCI is apparent. I can only speak for myself, but my experience of new BMW models hasn't scared me off from buying another. I'm expecting mine in mid-February so I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-21-2012, 05:52 AM
bcl0328 bcl0328 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Abingdon, MD
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 161
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertb_in_dc View Post
I'm waiting on my new 335i that was built last week so I'm not worried. I had a 2002 325i which was the 4th year of the e46 which was its "LCI" or design refresh year. It was a great car. Underpowered, but the smoothest shifting automatic I've ever driven. No problems in the 3 years I owned it. I then bought the 2006 330i on the first day it was released in May 2005. It was the brand new e90 series and that car was a letdown in terms of refinement to me compared to the e46. However, it was solid as a rock and completely reliable for the three years I owned it. I now have a 2009 335d which is the refresh year for the e90 and I think this car is the finest automobile I've ever owned. The transmission is still not as smooth as the '02 325i, but the whole car feels so much more refined than the '06 330i. Even though they're basically the same car with different engines and a few different body panels, the 3 years of refinement between launch of the '06 e90 and the '09 e90 LCI is apparent. I can only speak for myself, but my experience of new BMW models hasn't scared me off from buying another. I'm expecting mine in mid-February so I'll let you know.
where did you get yours from? i live in MD.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:33 AM
robertb_in_dc robertb_in_dc is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, DC
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 2009 335d SG/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
where did you get yours from? I live in md.
vob
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 AM
tlm999 tlm999 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 897
Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS2 MN6 View Post
I'd expect BMW to ease up on the color combinations and other options packages. 1st year of production is about tight quality control in manufacturing (to ensure a good build), once the basic process is proved out they can add some flexibility.
That's the only reason I'd consider waiting a year. The 2012 F10 option and standard list has changed a bit but not enough that I wish I had waited. If I followed that logic I'd wait for the 2013 or 2014 as they make minor adjustments all the time. Waiting for the last year of production is not something I'd ever consider since a few months after purchase I'd regret not having all the new improvements of the new model.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:23 PM
calmwinds calmwinds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
No, not everybody.
I'll just wait for the F80...better car anyway, by then proven base.
This is about the OP and his F30 question. Not about your next car. Besides, didn't you just agree with the other poster in the other thread that a triturbo will be too complicated and will be hard to troubleshoot? but you're getting it when it comes out? seems contradicting yourself. here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=595533

Last edited by calmwinds; 01-21-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM
calmwinds calmwinds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl0328 View Post
Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Looking to buy the new F30 in February (if i can get one).

I am 24 years old, have a great job, and born with a genetic disease (CF).

For the longest time I have wanted a BMW, almost got one a few months ago until I heard about the F30. So I have decided to wait for the new model but people are telling me never buy the first year model because of the problems it will have and they get worked out in later months.

While I would like to wait for a new car, I really want to buy a new BMW soon because like I said earlier I was born with an illness with a life expectancy of 30-35 years. Not looking for any pity, just setting the background for why I want a car so I can enjoy it for a while.

I have one bill because I still live at home and yes I do plan to live at home for a while because my brother died recently and my mother is a mess so I can't leave her alone, she may be suicidal.

Anyway, just to ease my thoughts, buying a new model, good or bad idea?
Go for it dude. If you watch all the reviews out there, it's one amazing car! Much much better than the E9X according to almost all reviewers. My experience with BMW service has always been amazing. If you ever have problems with the car, it's will be covered. And you'll get a nice loaner... go for the sport or if you can wait a bit, the m-sport which is better imo
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
calmwinds calmwinds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 132
Mein Auto: maybe F30 328/335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
Not a bad strategy...but as for me, I'd rather enjoy 3 more with the E9x M3...the F30 has nothing to offer over a E9x M3
again, this is about the OP, not you. He doesn't have an E9X M3 he could enjoy 3 more years. Besides, how much is an M3 compared to an F30? I think he's asking about the F30 because that's what he's interested in (price wise/ usage wise).

STOP comparing your M3 to an F30

Last edited by calmwinds; 01-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
x986 x986 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NorCal (Marin Co.)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 650
Mein Auto: Late '07 335 Coupe
BMW has a history of doing a first year, mid year update. The first year of the E92, '07 had a mid year update. My '07.5 had some updates to the I-Drive and additional color options. (Plus other things?) The E46 also had some first year updates if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-25-2012, 09:00 PM
TMQ TMQ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,467
Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Normally I don't see buying a first year BMW a great idea, but in the OP's situation, get the model you want and enjoy it. 6MT 335i Sportline would be the way to go. In red.
__________________
2008 528i: Ti Silver/Black/Light Poplar Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint. VentureShield Clear Bra.
BMWCCA member
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms