Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: e90 xDrive Coupe
Inexpensive BBS vs OZ (and Bayern?)

I'm in the market for 18s for my 328i x-Drive. I' want to spend no more than $2500 with TPS, mounting, balancing and shipping. My choices are:

OZ Super Leggera, pressure cast w flow forming, 20.7 lbs
OZ Ultra Leggera, pressure cast with shot preening, 17.6 lbs
BBS CK, pressure cast, 27.5 lbs.

I'm leaning toward the OZ Super Leggera and like the 5 lb savings in unsprung weight over the BBS. I wonder about the Ultras, they may not be enough wheel for New England roads? We have horrible roads so I need a very sturdy wheel (Mille Miglias and the like won't work.)

Do you have opinions about the above choices? Are Bayern wheels another option? They seem a price point down from the BBS and OZ and I don't want to buy a cheesy wheel. All advice welcomed!

Chris

Last edited by High Hope; 06-10-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Unfortunately there is no rating for strength on wheels so anything you hear or read about them is conjecture. From my experience, a pothole or road irregularity bad enough to bend wheel A will likely also bend wheel B. That being said, we have had great feedback and experience with both BBS and OZ wheels. Outstanding finish, quality and resale value as well. I agree with your choice of 18" for your area since the roads are a concern...19" wheels would leave you with a pretty low profile tire. I have no experience with the Bayern or Beyern brand of wheels, sorry.

Wheels http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...eels/index.jsp