Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Quite true....to me, it`s hilarious to hear the uninitiated say "Oh, these cars are SLOW !"....when in fact, a stock ZHP with a capable driver can post zero-to-sixty and 1/4-mile times that are knocking right on the door of muscle-car times.....there`s *nothing* slow about that, and nothing to be ashamed of....
IMHO, the most important part of the equation is to become a better driver....
I can't speak for everyone else, but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time isn't what I'm concerned about when talking about a street car. Where I did find the ZHP lacking was in things like 6th gear passing or uphill acceleration. If I for example have a date in the car, I don't want to rev the crap out of the car just to pass a truck or whatever. I've found that in general, 300hp seems to be that point where the car never feels like it's lacking power under any street conditions.

That's not to say I thought the ZHP was a bad car. Even in most street conditions, it does have enough low end grunt (esecially compared to cars like the WRX that have no pull whatsoever below boost). For me, upgrading to the M3 was more a right-place, right-time type of thing.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 01-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
I can't speak for everyone else, but the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time isn't what I'm concerned about when talking about a street car. Where I did find the ZHP lacking was in things like 6th gear passing or uphill acceleration. If I for example have a date in the car, I don't want to rev the crap out of the car just to pass a truck or whatever. I've found that in general, 300hp seems to be that point where the car never feels like it's lacking power under any street conditions.
I agree. I am no longer interested in 1/4 mile times like I was in my younger days. Seems like everyone these days is all caught up in peak HP numbers and straight line performance. And that is fine, the big 3 have to hype something to sell cars and pay off the government (yea right. Of course Ford didn't take a dime).

But to a true enthusiast we know that peak HP is only part of the mix. If I can out brake you, I will be zipping past you on entry to a corner. If I can out corner you, I am hitting the apex faster than you are and thus have more speed coming out of the corner. I think it was JVR826 or maybe KrisL that said their mildly modified ZHP (coilovers, sway bars) would hang with a stock E46 ///M on the track.

As for ZHP passing power in 6th gear, it really depends on your speed. I usually cruise around 85mph (about 3000rpm, yea 5 speed guys, eat your hearts out) and can usually pass without issues. Having driven a few E46 ///M3's I can also agree, it is MUCH easier to pass. Those things get moving in a hurry......

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I agree. I am no longer interested in 1/4 mile times like I was in my younger days. Seems like everyone these days is all caught up in peak HP numbers and straight line performance. And that is fine, the big 3 have to hype something to sell cars and pay off the government (yea right. Of course Ford didn't take a dime).

But to a true enthusiast we know that peak HP is only part of the mix. If I can out brake you, I will be zipping past you on entry to a corner. If I can out corner you, I am hitting the apex faster than you are and thus have more speed coming out of the corner. I think it was JVR826 or maybe KrisL that said their mildly modified ZHP (coilovers, sway bars) would hang with a stock E46 ///M on the track.

As for ZHP passing power in 6th gear, it really depends on your speed. I usually cruise around 85mph (about 3000rpm, yea 5 speed guys, eat your hearts out) and can usually pass without issues. Having driven a few E46 ///M3's I can also agree, it is MUCH easier to pass. Those things get moving in a hurry......
Yeah, that's true too, it felt like the car built up quite a bit of torque right around 3k. I think at that point, it's mostly the extra .2L that's making the difference. I remember even the E36 M3 felt a lot like my current car in the lower RPMs
Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
ZHP Caporegime

Mein Auto: ist Imolarot
Quote:
I think it was JVR826 or maybe KrisL that said their mildly modified ZHP (coilovers, sway bars) would hang with a stock E46 ///M on the track.
I've seen it happen... actually I've seen suspension modified only ZHP's with sticky as hell tires post better times than stock M3's (albeit not by much) but even 0.01 seconds adds up to the difference between 1st or 2nd place.

2005 330Ci (ZHP) = Daily Driver 1969 2002 = Project Car
BMW Car Club of America # 427612

Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
All this talk about power and driving makes me want to go drive on the track again. I honestly care more for torque/handling over horsepower. I mean I'd rather come out of a corner quick with torque then be able to go in a straight line really fast.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-18-2012, 01:53 PM
ZHP Caporegime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
All this talk about power and driving makes me want to go drive on the track again. I honestly care more for torque/handling over horsepower. I mean I'd rather come out of a corner quick with torque then be able to go in a straight line really fast.
SoCal TRACK DAY!: Big Willow Feb 4th at (WSIR) Willow Springs International Raceway - $90

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942

Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
SoCal TRACK DAY!: Big Willow Feb 4th at (WSIR) Willow Springs International Raceway - $90

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13942
Yup I was going to sign up but I can't no time the first few months. Work is quite busy. We have a launch soon.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
ZHP Caporegime

SD CCA chapter is doing HPDE at Chuckwalla in March, you should come. I think it might be in conjunction with LA chapter since they've done a few things like that together recently IIRC

Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM
L4P

Quote:
SD CCA chapter is doing HPDE at Chuckwalla in March, you should come. I think it might be in conjunction with LA chapter since they've done a few things like that together recently IIRC
I don't like Chuckwalla. But any event at Laguna Seca and Big Willow. I'm in. That's if I have time
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
ZHP Caporegime

Quote:
I don't like Chuckwalla. But any event at Laguna Seca and Big Willow. I'm in. That's if I have time
actually I just heard about something at Laguna... let me see if I can find it

EDIT: Golden Gate Chapter, Fri Feb 10 - Sat Feb 11 (prob not gonna work for you)

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/calendar/ic...driving-school

Last edited by Hermes; 01-18-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:51 PM
L4P

Quote:
actually I just heard about something at Laguna... let me see if I can find it

EDIT: Golden Gate Chapter, Fri Feb 10 - Sat Feb 11 (prob not gonna work for you)

http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/calendar/ic...driving-school
Yeah it's in February. Although I just noticed it's the LS driving school. I've done that one before. I actually did the $3k one. Thus a reason why I beat a F430 on Big willow ( good to know your car and how to drive it ). It was also the guys first time. Not surprising to beat some one whos never been on the track when I've been on it countless times.

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 01-18-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
THIS is torque........it's also a LAUNCH like you have going.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Added a note about flashing the EU2 tune yourself. Links go to E46Fanatics.com threads.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Added a note about flashing the EU2 tune yourself. Links go to E46Fanatics.com threads.
Yea EU2 seems like a lot of work and you could potentially "brick" your car. Butt dyno claims of more torque at lower RPM are probably inflated. If I took anyone's car and told them "I am going to flash some software that gives you 10-15hp" and then took it, did nothing to it, and gave it back 9 out of 10 people would tell me they could feel a marked improvement. Classic placebo effect.

Sorry, but I'll save up my money for a shark or AA tune and eliminate the risks of this phantom tune.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Quote:
Quite true....to me, it`s hilarious to hear the uninitiated say "Oh, these cars are SLOW !"....when in fact, a stock ZHP with a capable driver can post zero-to-sixty and 1/4-mile times that are knocking right on the door of muscle-car times.....there`s *nothing* slow about that, and nothing to be ashamed of....
IMHO, the most important part of the equation is to become a better driver....
Bob and I were discussing just this after the drive home from the brewpub. My coworker has a 335xi and while that thing is fast in a straight line, I scared the heck out of him cornering at speed. It's about being able to keep up a slightly higher than posted speed on a curvy road.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
. It's about being able to keep up a slightly higher than (twice the) posted speed on a curvy road.
Corrected for accuracy....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Yea EU2 seems like a lot of work and you could potentially "brick" your car. Butt dyno claims of more torque at lower RPM are probably inflated. If I took anyone's car and told them "I am going to flash some software that gives you 10-15hp" and then took it, did nothing to it, and gave it back 9 out of 10 people would tell me they could feel a marked improvement. Classic placebo effect.

Sorry, but I'll save up my money for a shark or AA tune and eliminate the risks of this phantom tune.
It was suggested to me to get the EU2 tune to eliminate the CEL and then get the Shark injector.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
It was suggested to me to get the EU2 tune to eliminate the CEL and then get the Shark injector.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Well, you are on your own. I won't do rogue DME programming. I CAN install the shark though, did it on my last car.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

UPDATE!

I meant to post this earlier, but forgot. I can't edit the original post, so I'll just leave this here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR
G-Power Stage 1 Supercharger Kit - 301 HP and 265 lb-ft torque; $1,972 - $25.95 per HP

NOTE: The G-Power supercharger kits share the oil line with the car. An oil cooler is highly recommended. Also, a Stage 2 kit is available, but a price is not displayed. An intercooler is added and the boost is increased from 6 PSI to 8 PSI. This is by far the best value for a supercharger kit on the market.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
The reason why cams seem to have "minimal" power gains is that people do these mods without understanding how an engine makes power or how cams work.

When you go to more lift and duration you lower your engines dynamic compression ratio (yes an engine has two compression ratios). The lower dynamic compression is what causes the perceived loss in low rpm torque.

The solution is to raise your compression ratio by changing your pistons. The cam also shifts the power and higher, so one also needs to raise the rev limit to take advantage of the cams

Also most people when shopping for cams want more power without changing how their engine feels. That's of course a ridiculous way to think. You need to plan your build before you build it. When you size the cams you have to consider replacing your pistons and doing the supporting mods to allow you to rev higher.

Also I would never spend 2000+ for a mild cam, go big or go home.

Finally you can make more power especially in a turbo setup by running a larger intake can than exhaust. The reason for this is that this setup increases dynamic compression. Also the more aggressive the intake came the lumpier the idle

Last edited by 3star; 04-14-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
me to
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
wow I like all this info LOV IT,and thanks for every post...after summing it all up//I know where to get a nice M3 lo mi for 23,000
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Re: OFFICIAL: 330i/Ci Guide to Horsepower Gaining Mods (Sorted by Bang for the Buck)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patous View Post
wow I like all this info LOV IT,and thanks for every post...after summing it all up//I know where to get a nice M3 lo mi for 23,000
And that's probably your best bet. Even then, I have the feeling you'll be asking how to get more power out of it, too!

[Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.]
Old 11-17-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci vert
I've tuned a 1997 VW Gti and a BMW 330ci with intake and software mods. I got an average of 7 hp on a local dyno. The Gti had the same gains with a K&N panel filter as it did with a K&N cone and tube with customer box. I have the AFE on the BMW and noticed the change though ever so slight.

With that being said half the reason I tune my cars is for the fun of it. I know I'm not building a drag racer as do most people. The fun of having cool parts makes it worthwhile to me even with no gains. And yes, I installed MPG caliper covers too. Because they look much nicer than stock.

Moral of the story is do not let anybody dictate what you want to do with your car. I've had people on forums say my wheels suck, yet I get complements almost daily on the street. Caliper covers too.