Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
BMW of SS is refunding me $500 + tax due to charging me the initial incorrect price they got from Dinan.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,041
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Nice!
Invest it in some new rubber, I presume the testing of the nouveau suspension delivered some wear and tear....
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Nice!
Invest it in some new rubber, I presume the testing of the nouveau suspension delivered some wear and tear....
The Winter rubber still looks good, but I did ask for a quote on the Dinan Exhaust/tune.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:36 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm having them install everything but the tune during PDI. I'm sure they'll have the software released by the time my car arrives, but I also want to wait until the break-in period expires before flashing. I'd like a chance to see what the difference in performance is.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I'm having them install everything but the tune during PDI. I'm sure they'll have the software released by the time my car arrives, but I also want to wait until the break-in period expires before flashing. I'd like a chance to see what the difference in performance is.
When is your install? I might happen by BMW or SS when it's time to pick up your car.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Nothing scheduled yet. I don't have a definitive delivery date for the car. I'll PM you once I know more.

On the subject of exhaust - black or chrome tips? Black would mesh well with the M-Sport diffuser, but the chrome would look more M5-like. I may ultimately add the M5 diffuser.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Nothing scheduled yet. I don't have a definitive delivery date for the car. I'll PM you once I know more.

On the subject of exhaust - black or chrome tips? Black would mesh well with the M-Sport diffuser, but the chrome would look more M5-like. I may ultimately add the M5 diffuser.
I'm thinking black tips for my car.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,041
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I'm thinking black tips for my car.
Black tips for sure and may I suggest black mirror covers?
I love them on the F30 sportline in white on the configurator.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Black tips for sure and may I suggest black mirror covers?
I love them on the F30 sportline in white on the configurator.
Only if they help me go faster.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 01-23-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Black tips for sure and may I suggest black mirror covers?
I love them on the F30 sportline in white on the configurator.
I don't get the glossy black mirror cover thing. To me, looks like a cheap rental car.

__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,041
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Needs, I see your point, i was just checking the hardcoreness of Dunder.
Talking about black tips and all.....
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Needs, I see your point, i was just checking the hardcoreness of Dunder.
Talking about black tips and all.....
I know, but apparently the designers at BMW think it's cool to make the "Sport" version look like the "Hertz" version.

Same reason I hate the black plastic "Shadowline" trim. It used to be a nice anodized (looking) version of the chromed trim. Now it's shiny black plastic that scratches easily. Guess "shiny black" reminds me of two many bad late 80's and early 90's cars...
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Turo37765's Avatar
Turo37765 Turo37765 is offline
GO GET IT $
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: F10 550I
Lol, yea the black shiny moldings are bad
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I know, but apparently the designers at BMW think it's cool to make the "Sport" version look like the "Hertz" version.

Same reason I hate the black plastic "Shadowline" trim. It used to be a nice anodized (looking) version of the chromed trim. Now it's shiny black plastic that scratches easily. Guess "shiny black" reminds me of two many bad late 80's and early 90's cars...
You can opticoat the trim to add some hardness and protection.

I agree with you on the black mirrors. They look cheap. Should be either body color, or brushed aluminum like on Audi S-Line cars.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 01-24-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:16 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Needs, I see your point, i was just checking the hardcoreness of Dunder.
Talking about black tips and all.....
Did I pass?

On the AW MSport, the rear valance is a dark grey and the stock tips are gloss black. I think adding chrome tips when you have a choice falls into the "look at me" category. Just keeping it real.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 AM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I like them both. To me, it's not a "look at me" thing. Just what works better with the overall appearance. With the M-Sport valence, I agree the dark tips are more appropriate. However, I just so happen to have a painted M5 rear diffuser sitting in a box at my office (*points under desk*) that I'm intending on installing once the Dinan exhaust goes in. Since that piece is body color, I think the chrome tips might look a little better.

For the record: I'm not trying to make my 550 into a fake M. I would have waited and just bought one. I just prefer the look of it to the M-Sport valence.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I like them both. To me, it's not a "look at me" thing. Just what works better with the overall appearance. With the M-Sport valence, I agree the dark tips are more appropriate. However, I just so happen to have a painted M5 rear diffuser sitting in a box at my office (*points under desk*) that I'm intending on installing once the Dinan exhaust goes in. Since that piece is body color, I think the chrome tips might look a little better.

For the record: I'm not trying to make my 550 into a fake M. I would have waited and just bought one. I just prefer the look of it to the M-Sport valence.
I agree chrome/stainless looks better with body color valances.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,558
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I agree chrome/stainless looks better with body color valances.
I think it would look best in Black Chrome. I don't like the Matte Black exhaust trim.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
jimefam jimefam is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cumming, GA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 730
Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
I recently met up with a member who has an AW Msport 550i with the roof painted black and the rear diffuser as well with the blacked out kidney grills and man did the car look good. Not look at me but the black and white contrast really give the car a sporty look which I like.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,041
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Did I pass?
For being a tuner you are doing nicely.
But it is not to me to judge, that would be the honour of the lovely lady in the house.
As long she is not rejecting, keep on going and just ignore me.

Remember my bad taste as being a Lada Niva owner.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:36 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
For being a tuner you are doing nicely.
But it is not to me to judge, that would be the honour of the lovely lady in the house.
As long she is not rejecting, keep on going and just ignore me.

Remember my bad taste as being a Lada Niva owner.
Ah the lady of the house...she's not all that crazy about the potential for a new exhaust being installed, but she knows it's inevitable. She rather be driven around in 7 Series or S Class quiet comfort and luxury. Of course if she is behind the wheel, she's want's something a bit different, maybe something like a 335d.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,041
Mein Auto: F11 530D
It is a good sign you think she likes class and comfort, while it might be she is attracted to the boyish side in you, toying with your car as you do. No real fun in the S or 7, they have a sort of arrivage - boredom image, keep away as long as possible from there there is no way back....
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Turo37765's Avatar
Turo37765 Turo37765 is offline
GO GET IT $
Location: Brooklyn
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 152
Mein Auto: F10 550I
I think depending on the color of your car and the look your trying to achieve the 3 different tip options, matte, shiny black and Chrome are all nice. My them is all black on black everything so matte it is for me. Unless the make a carbon fiber tip. Then I would consider that route. Carbon fiber tip would probably be sick. I'm just using my imagination for that though..
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 665
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Ah the lady of the house...she's not all that crazy about the potential for a new exhaust being installed, but she knows it's inevitable. She rather be driven around in 7 Series or S Class quiet comfort and luxury. Of course if she is behind the wheel, she's want's something a bit different, maybe something like a 335d.
Welcome to my world. We made an agreement that I wouldn't add anything after I got the car.

That's why it's all being done before I take delivery.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,704
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Welcome to my world. We made an agreement that I wouldn't add anything after I got the car.

That's why it's all being done before I take delivery.
That's how Mrs Dunderhi would prefer it, but we agreed on $10k for additional mods as part of my picking the F10.

So far, I've added:
1. 19" BBS RGR wheels
2. Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires
3. Dinan Stage 1 and then 2
4. CocoMats
5. Aluminum Pedals
6. 18" BBS RGR wheels
7. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3
8. Dinan Springs
9. ??? - Dinan Exhaust + Stage 3 - ???

Uh-oh , I think I may have exceeded my budget.

BTW, she's liking the handling improvement due to the springs and that's from the passenger seat.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 01-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms