Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
The Winter rubber still looks good, but I did ask for a quote on the Dinan Exhaust/tune.
I am not very knowledgable on these mods hence my question may be a bit dumb. I love my 550 stock as is just think it could have better sounding exhaust. Can I go for Dinan exhaust directly with Stage 1 & 2 OR what do you guys think about the F10 exhaust cut-outs I saw someehre where they put a switch which when fliiped opens values for extra noise...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
I know what you are saying, these women can get easily quite expensive.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
I am not very knowledgable on these mods hence my question may be a bit dumb. I love my 550 stock as is just think it could have better sounding exhaust. Can I go for Dinan exhaust directly with Stage 1 & 2 OR what do you guys think about the F10 exhaust cut-outs I saw someehre where they put a switch which when fliiped opens values for extra noise...
There is a member on 5post with the username Atlantaf10 who has the cutouts and has the switch in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I met up with him the other day and man it sounds good when the valve is open. I like his setup because I'd heard others who had the cutouts right after the downpipe which is like having straight pipes and it sounds like ****. But his has the cutouts all the way at the end and simply bypasses the rear mufflers, that sounds much better and has no drone or anything. Plus when ever he wants he closes them and it's back to being super silent. Definitely a slick setup.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimefam View Post
There is a member on 5post with the username Atlantaf10 who has the cutouts and has the switch in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I met up with him the other day and man it sounds good when the valve is open. I like his setup because I'd heard others who had the cutouts right after the downpipe which is like having straight pipes and it sounds like ****. But his has the cutouts all the way at the end and simply bypasses the rear mufflers, that sounds much better and has no drone or anything. Plus when ever he wants he closes them and it's back to being super silent. Definitely a slick setup.
Cool, would u know where he got it done?

Do u guys know if the Dinan exhaust mod can be chosen without the stage 1 or 2 ?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Dinan exhaust mod is nothing more than a new set of mufflers and tips. Personally, I think it's a total ripoff but, well, what do I know.

So there is no reason it can't be done without any tune.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 PM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Dinan exhaust mod is nothing more than a new set of mufflers and tips. Personally, I think it's a total ripoff but, well, what do I know.

So there is no reason it can't be done without any tune.
I just can't understand $3600 for mufflers and tips.
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
Cool, would u know where he got it done?

Do u guys know if the Dinan exhaust mod can be chosen without the stage 1 or 2 ?
He got it done by Jason@buckhead imports
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzlebutt View Post
I just can't understand $3600 for mufflers and tips.
I can't either, but I also can't understand why I''m thinking of getting it plus the Stage 3 tune, except for the fact that I am.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-26-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 M5
Quote:
I can't either, but I also can't understand why I''m thinking of getting it plus the Stage 3 tune, except for the fact that I am.
You and me both.

As for the price, in the tech world, Dinan is spelled A-P-P-L-E. It comes down to quality. Plus, I'm sure the price accounts for Dinan's warranty coverage.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:46 PM
is customizing his 550i

Mein Auto: 2012 550i xDrive DGII
Quote:
Same here...it's like a drug. An expensive German engineered drug.
Current: 2012 550i xDrive | Dinan Stage II | DGMetallic II | Black Nappa | Anthracite | Convenience | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Luxury Seating | M Sport | Premium Sound | ARS | Paddles | Active Cruise | Ceramic | BMW Apps

Current: 2012 X3 2.8 | Space Gray
Retired: 2009 535i xDrive | Jet Black
Retired: 2009 X3 Jet Black
Retired: 2007 530xi | Monaco Blue
Retired: 2003 530i | Sterling Gray
BMWCCA:458650
Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Cmon you know your going for that dinan badge! Besides it's got warranty what with the high failure rate of mufflers and all.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Cmon you know your going for that dinan badge! Besides it's got warranty what with the high failure rate of mufflers and all.
That's right. This is all worth 10 points. Cool.

Now I just need wheels.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Now I just need wheels.
What about tires?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 PM

Tires are overrated. Who needs 'em?

My summer wheels will be wrapped in Pilot Super Sports. Winters, I don't know.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
If BMW offerered a $15k Dinan package (tires, wheels, program, exhaust, CAI, springs) kind of like they do with Alpina, I would have ordered the car as a DINAN5. Instead, I am building the car I want piece by piece. After the exhaust, there will most likely be the Dinan CAI and Stage 4.

I believe the value of the warranty is not for the muffler, but to provide coverage if BMW decides a modified exhaust voids the engine warranty.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: M6 F12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Tires are overrated. Who needs 'em?

My summer wheels will be wrapped in Pilot Super Sports. Winters, I don't know.
+1

We need some organization against run flats:

-All the 'occupy wallstreet' types look angry yet bored on television, perhaps they could throw in a few chants against run flats.

-Get all the lovely ladies from the PETA ads to do new versions: I'd ride naked in a car without run flats!

Someone somehow needs to make BMW understand that while run flats may be the/an answer on some cars, the F10 is NOT one of them.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
If BMW offerered a $15k Dinan package (tires, wheels, program, exhaust, CAI, springs) kind of like they do with Alpina, I would have ordered the car as a DINAN5. Instead, I am building the car I want piece by piece. After the exhaust, there will most likely be the Dinan CAI and Stage 4.

I believe the value of the warranty is not for the muffler, but to provide coverage if BMW decides a modified exhaust voids the engine warranty.
BMW can't just void your warranty without good cause. For them to deny coverage or void your warranty because of an aftermarket part they must show how that part caused the claim in the first place. Ecu tuning causing an engine problem is far more believable than what muffler you have on. I know the dealer try and pull that crap but legally they have alot of hurdles to go through but most people don't push back when a dealer is abusing their authority.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:36 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Perhaps I missed it in the Dinan Suspension thread, but can anyone with a 2012 550i M Sport without ARS speak to the precise handling effects of the new Dinan springs?

For example, do they reduce the excessive body roll on cornering which is present even in Sport and Sport+?

Thank you for your input!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:

What a pity that the Alpina B5 is not offered in the US. I might very well have gotten it
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM
GO GET IT $

Mein Auto: F10 550I
Yea I would have definitely gotten the Alpina B5!

Dinan Mods Under Construction!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
BMW can't just void your warranty without good cause. For them to deny coverage or void your warranty because of an aftermarket part they must show how that part caused the claim in the first place. Ecu tuning causing an engine problem is far more believable than what muffler you have on. I know the dealer try and pull that crap but legally they have alot of hurdles to go through but most people don't push back when a dealer is abusing their authority.
This is true in theory.

In practice, if BMW decides to black flag your car, you've got to fight. How much time, energy and money can you afford to spend doing that? For most people, not a lot.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
This is true in theory.

In practice, if BMW decides to black flag your car, you've got to fight. How much time, energy and money can you afford to spend doing that? For most people, not a lot.
On my brother in laws 350z it took one letter, they denied service because he had the usual bolt on's. We sent a certified letter that notified them that as required by law if they were voiding his warranty we would need to be given cause for such action. They told him they would fix the car(it was one of those oil consumption motors) BUT if they found proof that it was caused by something he did he would be responsible for the bill they'd run up. It was an attempt to scare him into backing off. He didn't and they replaced his entire long block under warranty and that was with him having CAI, headers etc.

Your right they'll try to punk you if possible but in reality the burden of proof is on them and a simple letter and some resolve is all it takes to get things done. Now understand I'm talking about an exhaust or springs things that don't even pass a common sense test as to whether they'll give cause to void the engine warranty. I'm not talking about a tune which definitely would put you in one hell of a fight, but let's not try and justify paying ALOT more than something is worth because you think your mufflers are gonna void your warranty.

Last edited by jimefam; 01-27-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:02 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
No dealer abuse required. Let's say a turbo fails. The BMW regional rep takes a look at the car and says the turbos weren't design to operate with such a low back-pressure in the exhaust system; warranty claim denied. The dealer can't do anything at that point, unless he wants to eat an $8k turbo job for a loyal customer. The car's owner must make a compelling case to BMW or in a court of law.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
No dealer abuse required. Let's say a turbo fails. The BMW regional rep takes a look at the car and says the turbos weren't design to operate with such a low back-pressure in the exhaust system; warranty claim denied. The dealer can't do anything at that point, unless he wants to eat an $8k turbo job for a loyal customer. The car's owner must make a compelling case to BMW or in a court of law.
It's BMW who must make a compelling case in court not the other way around. The problem comes in the owner not blinking when confronted with such absurd claims. Sure we see things from the consumers side and can understandably be weary of the idea of court and lawyers etc but the reality is the dealer doesn't want those headaches either specially when they know it's their fault and if they take it that far they'll end up eating the repairs anyways plus all the effort and lose a customer. Turbos are less strained with reduced back pressure not the other way around.
Oh and an 8k turbo job? You really think it costs the dealer that?

Last edited by jimefam; 01-27-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Where in MD are you? I live in Rockville right now but we just bought a house in Silver Spring and are moving there the end of the month. I'd love to see your car up close while I'm (im)patiently waiting for mine.
If we could get some DC/Balto area Festers interested, I would like to meet up at the Cars & Coffee next Saturday. I'm not an early riser, but I could get there around 9:00 am. I haven't been to one of these yet, so it might be interesting to try.

Cars & Coffee
I'm heading to the C&C tomorrow for 9:00 am for anyone wants to see how my setup drives/rides.