Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo37765 View Post
Not in that picture. But will be by end of this month. I'll repost pics. But I just put the stocks on for the spring install. I want it to be perfect with the stock set up. Then ill swap rims again if it continues bit to snow here in NY
Look forward to seeing the pics once lowered with Dinan springs. By the way, what is the offset in the rear? It looks quite aggressive
Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
GO GET IT $

Mein Auto: F10 550I
You know what, I'm not sure the offset. How can I tell ? Honestly these rims are from my 2000 740 I had 10 years ago. They were Chrome I had the powder coated.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Has anyone developed a programming update for the suspension?

What bothers me about the Dinan springs is loss of dynamic range. I use all 3 suspension settings on my car, and would like to have a more aggressive setting in Sport and Sport+ without losing Comfort and Comfort+.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-04-2012, 04:16 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post

What bothers me about the Dinan springs is loss of dynamic range. I use all 3 suspension settings on my car, and would like to have a more aggressive setting in Sport and Sport+ without losing Comfort and Comfort+.
Dinan had talked about reprogramming the shocks about a year ago, but it appears they went with springs, perhaps, instead. Find someone with new springs and test drive their car. Just remember, not all springs are the same, so a test drive with H&R springs may not be a good indicator of how it would feel with Dinan springs.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:

You don't loses dynamic range, it's just shifted. Personaly, I wouldn't bemoan the loss of comfort. It's unusable over 30 MPH, at least on the 535.

The only company I know of that's reprogrammed the DDC is Alpina, on the B5. I haven't heard that they sell this standalone, and I kind of doubt that they would.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians

Last edited by Needsdecaf; 02-04-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
You don't loses dynamic range, it's just shifted. Personaly, I wouldn't bemoan the loss of comfort. It's unusable over 30 MPH, at least on the 535.

The only company I know of that's reprogrammed the DDC is Alpina, on the B5. I haven't heard that they sell this standalone, and I kind of doubt that they would.
If you live in a more suburban type of area the comfort+ is useless. when I was in Northern Atlanta over the holidays I never used it. But I live in an urban area where the roads are a mess. So usually if I'm in my own neighbourhood I use comfort+. The I use Sport+ on highways and when I am in the suburbs. I use normal only on stretches of highway which have a bad resonance frequency with sport+.

Ideally I don't want the springs stiffened up much beyond sport, but I want the ARS to be much more aggressive in keeping the car flat.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 02-04-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Ideally I don't want the springs stiffened up much beyond sport, but I want the ARS to be much more aggressive in keeping the car flat.
There's only so much the Dynamic Drive and ARS can do to overcome the lack of support from the pogo sticks, oops, I meant the OEM springs.

It would be nice to have an über-plush ride and race car handling all in one car, but they call for designs that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I gave up some plushness (Comfort Mode almost made me seasick anyway), but now my car corners very flat now. I drove through DC today and firmly hit a few potholes and lived to write about it.

I would say if you can't drive through the city in Sport mode, firmer springs aren't for you. Me, I'll take flat cornering over plushness anyday.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
There's only so much the Dynamic Drive and ARS can do to overcome the lack of support from the pogo sticks, oops, I meant the OEM springs.

It would be nice to have an über-plush ride and race car handling all in one car, but they call for designs that are at the opposite ends of the spectrum. I gave up some plushness (Comfort Mode almost made me seasick anyway), but now my car corners very flat now. I drove through DC today and firmly hit a few potholes and lived to write about it.

I would say if you can't drive through the city in Sport mode, firmer springs aren't for you. Me, I'll take flat cornering over plushness anyday.
I was thinking of getting the Dinan suspension but because of New York City potholes, I upsized my sidewalls to 45 series on the 19s (makes the wheel and tire diameter about 1 inch bigger than stock) (my tires are 245/45/19s which my dealer said will fit just fine) so I'm afraid of lowering the car at all lest I have rubbing so probably won't do it.

But I do love a firm suspension.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver
Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 PM
The Driver

Quote:

If the springs just move the dynamic range, I would be happy to give up Comfort+ mode for a better sports setting. However losing the degree of plushness in normal mode would not be acceptable. I need that for some neighborhoods where I drive regularly.

It's not the potholes that bother me - potholes hurt no matter what mode you are in. The issue is that when you drive at 40-50mph on rough roads, the intense vibrations can cause rattles over a period of time.

Is your comfort mode now firmer than your old normal mode?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg1871 View Post
I was thinking of getting the Dinan suspension but because of New York City potholes, I upsized my sidewalls to 45 series on the 19s (makes the wheel and tire diameter about 1 inch bigger than stock) (my tires are 245/45/19s which my dealer said will fit just fine) so I'm afraid of lowering the car at all lest I have rubbing so probably won't do it.

But I do love a firm suspension.
Yes I think this might be the solution, combine the lowering springs with the increased side-walls to reduce vibrations on rough roads.

Unfortunately 45/40 config on staggered tires is not available in the Michelin PSS in 19s.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan Stage 2 550xi
Quote:
Yes I think this might be the solution, combine the lowering springs with the increased side-walls to reduce vibrations on rough roads.

Unfortunately 45/40 config on staggered tires is not available in the Michelin PSS in 19s.
Yes mine are non staggered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus in size 245/45/19 on all 4 tires.

My objective is simple: to increase the height of the sidewalls for more protection against bubbling and blowouts from what are the worst roads in the country: the mangled, streets, parkways, expressways and highways of New York City.
2012 Dinan Stage 2 550i xDrive M Sport, Imperial Blue Metallic, Cinnamon Brown Leather and Light Wood Trim. Major options are M Sport package, cold weather package, sport automatic transmission, active roll stabilization, premium sound, and side and top view cameras.

Dearly departed BMWs: 2009 550i M Sport in Carbon Black Metallic and 2003 540i M Sport in Titanium Silver

Last edited by sdg1871; 02-04-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

And the answer is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan
Long story short, the springs do work just fine on the xDrive cars. However, due to the extra weight up front, we will be offering an xi specific spring that will bring the front of the car up just a bit for increased travel. From what I understand you are quite happy with the set up and if you like the ride height, you can stick with what you have. Once the new springs are available we will be happy to swap them out for you, assuming you want to. The other customer I have in your same situation loves the car the way it is and wants to leave things alone for fear of raising the ride height in the front. Again, we'll accommodate you either way. In the meantime, continue to enjoy the car and we can decide what, if anything, you would like to do when the new springs have been finalized and produced.
Does anyone still wonder why I hold Dinan's engineering and customer service in high regard? That said, their website really needs to be up to date and accurate prior to them releasing new products to their customers.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 550i with M Sport
Dunder,

Hows the ride with the springs? Has it dropped much more and has the ride firmed up more as well? I just got my springs installed and need to test out the ride with my summer set.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:19 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susoa View Post
Dunder,

Hows the ride with the springs? Has it dropped much more and has the ride firmed up more as well? I just got my springs installed and need to test out the ride with my summer set.
Congrats! I haven't looked at it real hard, but I would say the height hasn't changed. I would also the car corners very flat, especially given its weight, but my sensitivity to the changes between the suspension modes has increased and I find myself in Sport mode almost all of the time now.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3, 2012 550 OTW
My car is on a cruise off the coast of Panama and I just placed my order!
F10 550i En Route
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
Pure and simple a great help thank you!!!

Quote:
thanks for the comments so far...

Attachment 308539

okay, before i get into my review i need to supply some background:

my car is not stock!

1) i swapped out my 19" msport 351m wheels and goodyear ls tires for 19" bbs rgr wheels and michelin pilot super sport non-rft tires.

What did this do? It trimmed 71lbs of unsprung weight, improved my grip, improved my road feel, lightened the my steering, and softened the ride. This was a significant improvement in the overall handling nature of the car.

2) i added dinan s1 and then s2 software

what did this do? It knocked my 0-60 down to 4 seconds and my quarter mile down to 12.5 seconds. But there was a downside, my car would suffer from significant squat during hard acceleration, which if in a turn (like pulling into traffic) meant i had to actively manage my power to control the understeer.

3) i swapped out my summer wheels for even lighter winter wheels.

What did this do? It help me draw a much needed conclusion, the stiffer winter tires firmed up the ride a bit, but it really isolated the softness of the springs when under full power, so i needed new springs.

so why am i sharing all of this history, which is already known my many here at bimmerfest? Because these mods exist working together on my car and i cannot predict how this set of springs will feel on a car with a different set-up.

So first i will start with mrs dunderhi's comments:

1) well that was undramatic!

this occurred just after i told her to brace herself right before i did a high speed emergency lane change maneuver.

2) i'm not sure what's it's going to take to brake the back end loose.

this was said after exiting a section of very sharp twisties (15 mph bends at ~45mph)

3) i'm going to need more places to hold on to!

this was said while on my favorite road with a number of sweeping bends and a chicane or two. Yes, we took the long way home tonight.

hmm, need i say anything more? I think mrs. Dunderhi has said it all. :d

okay, maybe some qualitative observations. As side note, my car is equipped with ddc and ars.

dive - reduced in all modes, but to be honest i really didn't make a big effort to get a feel for dive this evening.
squat - one of my biggest annoyances after getting dinan software. The back-end hunkered down and the front end lifted up. It's still there to some extent in comfort mode, but pretty much disappears by the time you get into sport mode.
roll - decreased in all modes, sport mode is incredibly flat in the turns.
stability - well, this means different things to different people, but i can say with confidence, i took some turns faster than i ever have and the car behaved as predicted.
responsiveness - my lighter wheels really upped my steering responsiveness, but the new springs decreased the plow that i experienced in hard turns.
emergency maneuvers - (professional driver on a closed course. Do not attempt.) i did do some sharp s-turns (think slalom testing) at highway speeds and this is one place the car's mass cannot be overcome and the momentum of the rear end of the car could be felt lagging behind the maneuvers. It was still under control and surpassed the previous setup.
turning - since there are several turning questions, i did take on a couple clover leafs at speed, and the level of control is much improved, to the point i felt comfortable accelerating while in the cloverleaf.
ride height reduction - i can't see it or feel it. The gaps in the wheel arches are about two fingers.
compliance - i lost a good bit of pothole absorption capability, so my car feels more like it did when is was equipped with rfts.

so how does this affect the driving modes of the car?

i originally had five modes for my suspension:

1) dsc inactive (pogo stick mode) - absolutely horrible! Each corner of the car moved independently in the vertical plane.
2) comfort (lincoln mode) - unacceptable! The front and the back of the car moved independently in the vertical plane.
3) normal (large sedan mode) - acceptable for cruising. The car was okay under non-performance circumstances.
4) sport (my normal mode) - good for a sport sedan. Has what it takes, unless pushing it hard under full power.
5) sport+ (hold on mode) - good for relieving stress. Didn't seem to make anything much better, just faster!

i now have five new modes for my suspension:

3.5) dsc inactive (old normal mode) - wow! If this was to only mode, i'd think most people would be okay with it. Some lean in the turns, but not that bad for normal use.
4) comfort (old sport mode) - double wow! This feels like a sport sedan! It doesn't cushion the blow as well, but it's no longer a buick!
5) normal (new sport mode) - just how i like it - most of the time. This might be my new default for the commute.
5+) sport (super sport mode) - just how i like it when i want to make the tires sing and that's what they did on tight cloverleaf today.
5++) sport+ (i'm must be afraid to try it mode) - i didn't even think to try this evening, the other modes had what i was looking for.

My perceived differences between the modes are much smaller now, hence my numbering scheme.

on the negative side, i think i have paid the most for labor thus far @1,250 + $180 for an alignment, so maybe i'll buy one less $400 flashlight or something like that. Also, unlike what my pseudo sa originally claimed, bmwss doesn't offer a bmwcca discount on non-bmw parts. At least when i would take my benz's in for service next door, they would say it was $500 or something like that and then take 10% off to make me feel good about them fleecing me.

Finally, in my opinion, if you get dinan or any other performance software for your 550, you should really consider having a firmer suspension setup to deal with the additional power. Tell your wives it's a safety issue.

P.s. I hit a thousand words in a single post! I must really like these springs.

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Congrats! I haven't looked at it real hard, but I would say the height hasn't changed. I would also the car corners very flat, especially given its weight, but my sensitivity to the changes between the suspension modes has increased and I find myself in Sport mode almost all of the time now.
What were they charging you for labor? I did my estimates using 160@ 25.6 hours of labor
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
What were they charging you for labor? I did my estimates using 160@ 25.6 hours of labor
I'm not sure, but I think it was somewhere around $145/hr. My SA's initial estimate was around $1,800, but a different SA had told me $1,250, so that's the price he gave me. When I got the car back, my SA said it took longer than they planned - about twice as long. Apparently xDrives are more difficult to work with.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: Audi S5
I did my car this past weekend. Took about 6 hours, but we wasted almost 2 hours trying to compress springs while in the vehicle to ease removal, but didn't need to. Anyways, very happy w Dinan springs. I live on a dirt road and didn't want to drop as far as ACS.

Dinan stage 2, springs, M5 mufflers, and 303M/Michelin PSS.