Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09' 750Li
Re: drivetrain malfunction

Hey, I like my 22s! But yes, more pics

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
drivetrain malfunction

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1381597652.708835.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	401765

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: F01; E36 M3/4/5
Any other updates on this malfuction? My car shutters also and yesterday the malfuction light came on and the car shakes badly at idle.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM

Get it looked at. Could be a small list of things. sensors, programming, one of the fuel pumps, injectors. If you have index 5 injectors have new index 11s put in while you're under warranty. I would even buy them if you aren't under warranty. Don't drive it if it starts to smell rich or starts dumping fuel.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1383157489890.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	404899  
Old 10-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: F01; E36 M3/4/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir.chris View Post
Get it looked at. Could be a small list of things. sensors, programming, one of the fuel pumps, injectors. If you have index 5 injectors have new index 11s put in while you're under warranty. I would even buy them if you aren't under warranty. Don't drive it if it starts to smell rich or starts dumping fuel.

Oh man, mine went out of warranty a few months ago. I'm going to have to call my dealer to see what can be done.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Here is my logic...BMW NA sent emails to all of the BMW service/parts departments telling them to pull all of the index 5 injectors from stock and send them back. The parts managers had to electronically sign the email and reply stating they read and acknowledged the email. Clearly BMW is aware of some issue with them. The dealer can try to get you a discount on replacing them if they are index 5's.

Also, find out from your service rep some good warranty companies he deals with. Spend the 3 or 4 grand on one..

Here is a pic of my rod and piston from a faulty index 5 injector. Rod is bent. You'll see piston has two indentation spots from slamming into the crank.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1383163023765.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	404913  
Old 10-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750Li
Beverly Hills BMW put 8new injectors in and they checked the fuel pump pressure but they these new injectors that just got for the 7 but it's been done about a week now and everything is good
Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM

I'm glad your 7 is in good working condition now.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:37 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to panoptica
Mein Auto: 750i
750i UK model - drive train error

Interesting read this. I just bought on of these second hand thinking it would be a nice reliable motor. Jury is out at the minute tbh. Reading this thread I am experiencing a lot of similarities. I have done about 1500 miles in it in the last month or so, previous driver didn't do a lot of miles, but I need a car I can drive as I am on the road a lot with the job. One morning while down in London, when starting the car, I got this drive train error warning message saying drive the car slowly and contact service. It was a cold morning similar to what is mentioned here in the thread. After 'rebooting' the car, the error went away. It was shaking badly during the error and felt like it was going to cut out.

Since I have had it I have been in situations where it has been difficult to start, turning over many times, misfiring and perhaps running a little rich. At traffic lights the car idles like a black cab and feels like she might cut out at any second.

So I contacted the dealer who said they'd take it in and have it fixed in a day or so. Four days later I am still without the car and am using a loaner. First they told me it needed a sw upgrade and was possibly ecu related. After running diagnostics, I am told that the injectors are at fault and have been ordered. I read elsewhere of problems with injectors on twin turbos with beemers resulting in a lawsuit and recall. Different model car but the symptoms sound similar.

BMW has discovered that certain 2007-2010 model year vehicles may experience partial failure of the High-Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP), which is part of the direct fuel injection system on certain 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, X6, and Z4 models. Specifically, vehicles powered by the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-6 engine (internally dubbed "N54***8243 are affected. Symptoms include long engine starting times and sometimes the illumination of the Service Engine Soon lamp in the instrument cluster, possibly accompanied by reduced engine performance (Fail Safe operation).

Anyway, the injectors are supposed to be getting replaced and I'll hopefully get it back today fingers crossed.

Hope I haven't bought a lemon. Not really what you expect from a top end car eh. My previous other branded German car was solid mechanically.

Let's see... keep you posted.

Last edited by panoptica; 11-08-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM
bimmerfest coolest Member

Mein Auto: f13 BMW M6
panoptica
Isn't lemon only happens in US? What caused the drive train malfunction? Happened to me when:
1) I switch mode from normal to sport plus while the car was still warming up in a morning.
2) I went 0-220 on a sport mode
3) Dinan upgrade