Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
Get ready for BMW M Performance Automobiles - A BMW Sub-Brand coming Spring 2012

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

In the spring of 2012, BMW M GmbH will unveil a new product range for drivers seeking a particularly sporty driving experience, yet who also value the familiar comfort and practicality of BMW models. The BMW M Performance Automobiles offer exclusive engine variants, noticeably enhanced agility and outstanding precision on the road, plus design laced with emotional appeal. The harmonious interplay of engine output, power transfer, chassis technology and aerodynamic balance provides a captivating showcase for the familiar M genes – in day-to-day driving and beyond. The BMW M Performance Automobiles will be presented to the global public for the first time at the International Geneva Motor Show 2012 which takes place March 8th to the 18th.

The BMW M Performance Automobiles represent a totally new model category none of its rivals can offer. Only the high-performance sports cars from BMW M GmbH provide a more convincing execution of an overall concept focused on inspirational driving dynamics. “We are targeting our efforts at customers looking for more emotionality and more performance, but who don’t want to forgo the everyday usability of their cars,” said Dr Friedrich Nitschke, President of BMW M GmbH. Nitschke announced plans for further additions to the new product line-up, referring to “a range including a wide variety of model series, as well as both petrol and diesel-engined variants”. The intelligent all-wheel-drive system BMW xDrive would also play a significant role in the BMW M Performance Automobiles, he added.

2011 will go down as one of the most successful years for BMW M GmbH since the company was founded. In addition to the BMW 1 Series M Coupe, which marked BMW M GmbH’s first ever foray into the premium compact segment, last year also saw the successful introduction of the new BMW M5. The imminent arrival of the BMW M Performance Automobiles provides 2012 – which will also feature the world premiere of the new BMW M6, among others – with an early highlight.

“The BMW M Performance Automobiles benefit from the full expertise of BMW M GmbH,” explained Nitschke. The BMW Group subsidiary can call on decades of motor sport experience when it comes to translating outstanding engine power into excellent dynamics. This development expertise also imbues the BMW M Performance Automobiles with their distinctive character.

The models in the new product category follow in the tire tracks of the BMW M535i, which was unveiled in 1980 and went on to capture the hearts of performance-minded customers with its extra power, precisely tuned chassis technology and subtly modified design. A fresh addition to the BMW 5 Series ranks, the Sedan remained a highly successful member of the line-up through two model generations and – up to 1987 – with the BMW M5 for company within the range. “Our aim with the BMW M Performance Automobiles is to continue this tradition,” confirmed Nitschke.
This article has been viewed 3835 times.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 335is / '12 X3 (wife)
I don't like this idea
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i
This article is too vague with little details, but it sure sounds like they are looking to put the M branding on a much larger group of vehicles. If that is the case, it could dilute the M brand and make it less special.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
I have seen the previous responses and wish to disassociate myself from them. As a BMW owner and a great admirer of the BMW lineup in Europe (as opposed to the NA choices) I am very enthusiastic about the news presented above. Viva BMW.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 PM
OEM Hoe....

Send a message via AIM to Killjoy
Mein Auto: 1999 M3, 2002 tii
It sounds vaguely like the S Line for Audi. I could see this swing one of two ways- dilution of the M brand, where "exclusive engine variants" translates to slightly tuned N55 variants, with no real performance gains, but large focus on the design, i.e. M Sport packages which place a high emphasis on style without substance. Perhaps stiffer springs and sways, or active suspensions with emphasis on sport and larger wheels, but not much else.

Or, BMW could do something truly special here and offer something similar to the M Sport F30 offered in Europe, with four pot calipers and larger discs, additional trans/oil coolers, and other incidental style changes not otherwise available in the states such as two tone Sport seats with Alcantra inserts, etc. and an engine lineup that embodies the classic high revability of traditional M engines. Essentially, they could make vehicles that sincere enthusiasts want, cars that embody exclusivity, rarity, and uniqueness (and perhaps even quirkiness) that is not normally available in the normal BMW lineup.

Realistically, however, it will likely be an amalgamation of the two.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
MMMMM...ZHP anyone? It's the best non-M 3 series sedan in the last 13 years.