Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 m3
2012 cost for tire wheel warranty and extended maintenance service?

Hello Everyone,
I'm very new to BMW and this forum. First time buying a BMW and I can't believe I drove home a M3 last week. Anyway, I was wondering what's the recent pricing for tire wheel warranty and extended maintenance service. The dealer quote me $2900 plus tax for the tire wheel warranty and $3600 plus tax for the extended service. The dealer told me that the BMW Corporate send them letter that they are loosing money on the Tire Wheel Warranty and maybe a new policy on the Tire Wheel Warranty in the future. I read previous posting, a lot people are getting $1100-$1500. Please post your recent quote for Tire and Wheel Warranty for 2012. Thanks!

Last edited by highwindgt; 01-18-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwindgt View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm very new to BMW and this forum. First time buying a BMW and I can't believe I drove home a M3 last week. Anyway, I was wondering what's the recent pricing for tire wheel warranty and extended maintenance service. The dealer quote me $2900 plus tax for the tire wheel warranty and $3600 plus tax for the extended service. The dealer told me that the BMW Corporate send them letter that they are loosing money on the Tire Wheel Warranty and maybe a new policy on the Tire Wheel Warranty in the future. I read previous posting, a lot people are getting $1100-$1500. Please post your recent quote for Tire and Wheel Warranty for 2012. Thanks!

For $2900, you could BUY 4 new wheels and 4 new tires at RETAIL from them... and keep them in your garage.. and it would probably be a better investment in the long run. I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a new tire because of a flat. Tire and wheel insurance seems like a waste unless you drive through craters at 70 mph and blow out tires weekly.. in which case I wouldn't be driving an M3 in the first place..

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)

Last edited by 335i; 01-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335is Cab & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
For $2900, you could BUY 4 new wheels and 4 new tires at RETAIL from them... and keep them in your garage.. and it would probably be a better investment in the long run. I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a new tire because of a flat. Tire and wheel insurance seems like a waste unless you drive through craters at 70 mph and blow out tires weekly.. in which case I wouldn't be driving an M3 in the first place..
The BMW OEM wheels are probably over $4,000 plus the cost of tires, but I agree that $2,900 is way too much money for that policy.

It cost us $600 for that policy in '08 for our 535xi, and that turned out to be wasted money as we never needed it.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW 335is Convertible; '08 BMW 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The BMW OEM wheels are probably over $4,000 plus the cost of tires, but I agree that $2,900 is way too much money for that policy.

It cost us $600 for that policy in '08 for our 535xi, and that turned out to be wasted money as we never needed it.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

not too far off.. about $2200 + tires.. Still better off to self insure for that amount though..

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335d 2011
I just purchased an 11' 335d. The tire and wheel plan offered to me (5 year) plan was $995. The extended bumper to bumper to warranty was offered at $2500 (additional 2 years or 100K miles).

I took both (was planning on it going in) because I made them throw the warranty in to keep my business so that was free and I did take the tire and wheel plan. The car I traded in (honda civic 05') was always getting flats so I think the roads near my house aren't that friendly.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablet View Post
I just purchased an 11' 335d. The tire and wheel plan offered to me (5 year) plan was $995. The extended bumper to bumper to warranty was offered at $2500 (additional 2 years or 100K miles).
Do the quotes for the RFT insurance drastically differ from dealer to dealer, model to model, region to region? I'd assume M3/Sport package tires cost more than 16-17" tires. (I apologize if this has already been answered ad naseum, but most of the search results and threads for this top are '08-10.)

I purchased my first BMW over the weekend ('11 328i xdrive), and I was originally quoted 2k for 5 year tire, wheel and rim (this was after deciding to spend 10k more than I was planning on spending), but while on the phone with a friend, she told me that the insurance was negotiable. So I got it down to $1500. Still shocking as I didnt even know about RFTs until I decided to purchase, but I figure one tire change requiring 2 new tires (and maybe rims the way my wife drives) will cost +$1000.

But now I'm thinking I shouldnt have paid more than $1k.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 335d 2011
While I'm very new to BMW myself I believe you probably paid too much. When I asked for the tire + rim warranty it was offered at $999 and there was no negotiating. I went through the fine print in more detail after I got home and learned that I can get a full refund on both the extended warranty and the tire warranty within in the first 30 days. I'm going to do this for the extended warranty because I researched the warranty company in detail and it looks very risky over a 6 year period. It's setup such that the owner can close shop and reopen under a new name too easily.

Either way, if you feel you got ripped off you can probably get a full refund. Read the fine print.

On a side note: It was not my intention to do this but because I made the dealer throw in the $2500 extended warranty (which showed up as a separate $2500 line item in the deal) and I'm now going to get a full refund on it I just lowered my purchase price by another $2500. This makes $11K off sticker. Some may find this kind of thing immoral but when you're dealing with a car salesman it doesn't seem that immoral really.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwindgt View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm very new to BMW and this forum. First time buying a BMW and I can't believe I drove home a M3 last week. Anyway, I was wondering what's the recent pricing for tire wheel warranty and extended maintenance service. The dealer quote me $2900 plus tax for the tire wheel warranty and $3600 plus tax for the extended service. The dealer told me that the BMW Corporate send them letter that they are loosing money on the Tire Wheel Warranty and maybe a new policy on the Tire Wheel Warranty in the future. I read previous posting, a lot people are gettin's on BMW rims.g $1100-$1500. Please post your recent quote for Tire and Wheel Warranty for 2012. Thanks!
Tire warranty is way too much. Actually I don't think you really need it on an M3 - remember these are not run flat tires.

Most of the issues with BMW tires and rims are on larger diameter (19") rims and run flats.

I have a 535 and had two bent rims and bubbling tires which I put down totally to the run flats. My wheel and tire insurance was under $1,000. I got it for the 535 because there are lots of problems with the 19" with BMW rims.

There are lots of threads on this.

If you are in an area with relatively smooth roads, as others indicate you can get a new set of tires and rims for that price. OEMs are quite often for sale on this site as many M3 owners switch out the OEMs for other makes of rim and tires.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
I contacted the Finance Associate and this was her response:

Quote:
I understand your concern with the tire and wheel warranty. Many tire and wheel warranties that are on the market are sometimes not backed by BMWNA. There are many companies that sell tire and wheel warranties. [Dealership name redacted] BMW sells BMW Tire and Wheel Protection that fully covers the tires and wheels in the event of a road hazard. Many other tire and wheel warranties that are less costly have limits to the warranties for examples (claim limits, mileage limits, and if not servicing with the selling dealer you would have to pay out of pocket and then call the company to get reimbursed your money.) We would like to offer peace of mind for our customers because in the event of an emergency that should be the last thing to be thinking about.

I hope that helped to explain the BMW tire and wheel warranty. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions.
I'm assuming that the OP and subsequent posters were talking about the same BMWNA backed policy right? This is just smoke and mirrors correct?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: e92 M3
I just picked up my new M3 yesterday. The tire warranty through Fidelity was 1409. I don't think this is the BMW warranty, but since the dealer was one of the sponsors, I figured it would be OK.

I've gone through my fair share of tires and even a few wheels in the city. Yes, I'm careful, but the streets are horrible.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Mace

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post
Tire warranty is way too much. Actually I don't think you really need it on an M3 - remember these are not run flat tires.

Most of the issues with BMW tires and rims are on larger diameter (19") rims and run flats.

I have a 535 and had two bent rims and bubbling tires which I put down totally to the run flats. My wheel and tire insurance was under $1,000. I got it for the 535 because there are lots of problems with the 19" with BMW rims.
I don't by that RFTs have anything at all to do with sidewall bubbles. I had two sidewall bubbles on my M3's non-RFT Pirelli PZeros. I was shocked as I had only 7k miles on the car and don't recall a single instance of hitting a pothole at all. On the other hand, I drove a 335 with 19" RFT for three years and hit some real teeth rattling potholes with it and didn't have a single problem. I'm not saying RFT's can't have the bubbles, just that I think the problem is the low profile not if it's RFT or not.

As for a warranty, I suppose it might be worthwhile if your area has bad roads but even though I had to pay $450 for a new tire this one time I've never bought a tire/wheel warranty so I'm well ahead cost wise.

YESTERDAY: '08 335i Coupe, Space Gray, Coral Red, Gray Poplar, 6-MT, ED 10 May '08.
TODAY: '11 M3 Convertible, Mineral White, Fox Red, Extended Leather, Carbon Leather, 6-MT, 19" Style 220M Wheels, EDC, EPS, ZP2, ZCV, ZCW. ED 29 Apr '11. PCD Re-delivery July 27.

Last edited by Mace14; 02-11-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 AM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace14 View Post
I don't by that RFTs have anything at all to do with sidewall bubbles. I had two sidewall bubbles on my M3's non-RFT Pirelli PZeros. I was shocked as I had only 7k miles on the car and don't recall a single instance of hitting a pothole at all. On the other hand, I drove a 335 with 19" RFT for three years and hit some real teeth rattling potholes with it and didn't have a single problem. I'm not saying RFT's can't have the bubbles, just that I think the problem is the low profile not if it's RFT or not.

As for a warranty, I suppose it might be worthwhile if your area has bad roads but even though I had to pay $450 for a new tire this one time I've never bought a tire/wheel warranty so I'm well ahead cost wise.
Mace14. I agree with you, in that I really should have referred to the specific tire and wheel combo that is having problems on 5 series cars. I have no idea of any issues on 3 series cars.

My particular issue which is well documented if you look through the F10 5 series forums, is with the specific 19" wheel and tire combination that I have.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 AM
French85

Mein Auto: 2008 m3 convertible
Im not sure about the tire warranty but how long is the extended warranty they offered you? mine is an 08 and the warranty for my car is up in november. So I got an extended one through this third party company called endurance. http://endurancedirect.com/ covers you for 5 yrs for everything accept oils changes pretty much.