Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 740i -2009
DIY Paddle shift? No retrokit

Hi,

I am looking at these padde shift retrofit kits on the web and I can't believe how much money they're asking for it. ~ $1300 for some flappy paddles (+wheel and harness) seems like a steal!

What I'm thinking is that it should be fairly simple to skip the kit and build it myself.
My thoughts:

I buy the paddle shift separately.
I wire up the paddles to the gearbox stick with some home made wiring harness (shouldn't be too difficult once you find where to put the cables in the gearbox console)
I remove the steering wheel and cut out holes for the paddles and install the paddles.

Am I missing something here or should this work?
This way it should not cost more than a couple of hundred bucks + a couple of hours of DIY-labor

Last edited by jacobsweden; 01-18-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 AM

Anyone?
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
I have an SMG e63 but for my e39 I did exactly what you are thinking of doing.

My e39 Paddleshift retrofit:

I bought an e46 SMG steering wheel with paddles, I also got an e46 SMG Switch unit steering column. The only difference between the SMG "Switch unit steering column" slip ring & the regular one is the additonal 2 connectors on it for the paddles.
From here you just need to run wiires to near the gear shifter & connect up the + & - wires as appropriate.

It is a bit disappointing in the auto having the paddles, especially when you drive a real SMG, the shifts are just not quick enough.

If you need a VIN number of a car with SMG fitted to determine what slip ring you need just PM me for mine.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
I have an SMG e63 but for my e39 I did exactly what you are thinking of doing.

My e39 Paddleshift retrofit:

I bought an e46 SMG steering wheel with paddles, I also got an e46 SMG Switch unit steering column. The only difference between the SMG "Switch unit steering column" slip ring & the regular one is the additonal 2 connectors on it for the paddles.
From here you just need to run wiires to near the gear shifter & connect up the + & - wires as appropriate.

It is a bit disappointing in the auto having the paddles, especially when you drive a real SMG, the shifts are just not quick enough.

If you need a VIN number of a car with SMG fitted to determine what slip ring you need just PM me for mine.
Thank you for your reply!
Yes I understand that the shifting will not be as quick as the SMG box but I think it works (If it works as "quick" as using the manual mode on the gearstick I'm happy)

I will be pleased if you can send me your VIN, I'll send you a PM.